N'Golo Kanté

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Excellent, 30 year old whose primary asset is mobility. Sounds like an nice easy deal to get done, so Ed's loving it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
really wish we signed him from Leicester. Im sure Chelsea went for him uncontested
I don't believe that for a second. Why would he be on a reported 300K if there was no competition for one of the best players in the league going for a paltry sum?

Murray3007

In lieu of not getting a new centre half, as it likely seems in this window, I'd be all over getting Kante. The lack of protection from our midfield is woeful, watching Matica and Pogba on sat v Brighton trying to track back on the occasions that they actually did was poor. That aspect of the game is not natural to any of them, Matic likes to play as holding mid, where his positional sense is good, but once that is passed, he's toast. The added mobiltiy and defensive coverage a player like Kante would bring would be crucial.Pogba as we know needs to play further up the pitch, if we we play him at all.
will never change with these 2 as our 2 CM players, still cant understand how people dont see pogba cant play CM in a 2 in the prem

Munkehboi

On the fence with this one. When he was at Leicester I would have happily paid £50mil for him.

However, something tells me that the people at Chelsea are seeing his delcine like with Matic and Cheslea are willing to off load him to us for £40mil because they think we are mugs and replace hiom with Rice. We wIll see one good season from him and then get injured and never quite be the same player again.

Litch

He is not the same player as two seasons ago. Injuries have had a big impact on this, he is not the same player and is on the decline. Chelsea aren't looking at Rice for no reason. Not saying he is better but Fred's figures are better than his in pretty much every department.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He is a box to box midfielder and has been wank when asked to stay back as DM.

So why ?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Been poor for ages, heavily over rated and would be a complete waste of funds.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Would be a good signing at the right price, don't see it happening though.
He would fit well with Pogba & Bruno (providing the legs for us to be able to mitigate against the counter)

We don't need a DM, but we do need a Kante type ball winner who can play box to box. Then move to 433 Pogba Kante Bruno (VDB McTom Fred)

McTom also not being a DM, but a high energy ball winner lacking ball skills. Against top sides maybe then its Kante Bruno/Pogba Matic

Don't see Chelsea selling him without a replacement though

Alexit

Agree with this. Wouldn't want him near our team. Hope he stays at Chelsea and maintains this poor form. Would do us well in the table.

RedorDead21

Matic wasnt great towards the end at Chelsea but he's come in and had abit of an Indian summer here. Providing the price is right and if no one younger is available at a reasonable fee, He's be a strong option for this season and next until the long term option shows itself.

Again for example I have Matic down as one of our better players in recent games....

SATA

Would they sell to us though even if we are interested? We are in direct competition for top four places. I think they will keep him or sell abroad

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Matic wasnt great towards the end at Chelsea but he's come in and had abit of an Indian summer here. Providing the price is right and if no one younger is available at a reasonable fee, He's be a strong option for this season and next until the long term option shows itself.

Again for example I have Matic down as one of our better players in recent games....
True about Matic.
It'd be a gamble though and not sure if we should be gambling with transfer funds right now.

RedorDead21

True about Matic.
It'd be a gamble though and not sure if we should be gambling with transfer funds right now.
Bringing in RIce for 60+ would be a gamble, I'm talking about IF the fee was reasonable, less than 30m for example. We get top 4 and he's covered his fee already and buys us the time to source the better longer term option. He might we one of our first names on the team sheet who knows.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Good partner for Pogba.

Downside:injuries seem to have blunted the energy

Upside: we have great pace up front for him to help exploit

Clermontois

Supports
France
Would not want him here, he should go abroad or stay at Chelsea. Just another player who would be berated without any facts while others who are worst get a pass.

Chelsea seem to be selling their best players for unproven players though not sure what Lampard is doing but hope he keeps it up.

hmchan

It's completely different. Matic's strengths are his ability in reading the game, cutting off passing lanes, being in the right place at the right time and these things only get better when you have more experience, just like Carrick. Kante, on the contrary, relies heavily on his fitness and pace to cover most of the pitch and these things only decline as you age. His technical ability is also limited so you can't expect him to adapt to a new role well.

dev1l

I would avoid. He s going player of course but also has a high mileage.

starman

Hard pass from me. I wanted him and another instead of Pogba back in 2016, but he's now declining physically and is not the same player he was back then.
If he was at a massive discount, than yes, but its Chelsea and will want and get a massive fee, 40m at least...

Valencia Shin Crosses

Everyone who actually watches Kante knows he is not a DM good at staying back.
Kante is essentially a Fred who is more mobile and doesn't have the random stupid Fred mistakes. But the way they play the DM position is pretty similar. I'm not sure he's a good fit for any team looking to press high that needs a DM that sits back and intercepts a lot of balls. Now the Kante that was at Leicester could have done it all, that's one of the most energetic players I've ever seen.

diarm

My feedback is purely from Chelsea fans who has been watching week and week out.

@duffer @Dancfc or any Chelsea fans- happy to stand corrected if I am wrong.
I could be wrong. It will be interesting to see what fans of Chelsea or Leicester say.

My perception was that with Leicester, France and in his first season winning season at Chelsea, he was an out and out defensive midfielder and a bloody effective disruptor in that role. Then Chelsea tried to turn him into a box to box midfielder and destroyed him.

hmchan

Kante is essentially a Fred who is more mobile and doesn't have the random stupid Fred mistakes. But the way they play the DM position is pretty similar. I'm not sure he's a good fit for any team looking to press high that needs a DM that sits back and intercepts a lot of balls. Now the Kante that was at Leicester could have done it all, that's one of the most energetic players I've ever seen.
The role of Kante has already been extensively discussed. I don't want to repeat myself.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/unpopular-opinion-the-overrated-ngolo-kante.454671/

Irwin99

I always thought he was a bit better on the ball than most give him credit for but his energy and tenacity are easily his best traits and there were times when I've rarely seen another player cover that much ground with tackles and interceptions. Problem is if age takes these elements away from him then what are you left with? I know you don't suddenly become a bad player when you hit 30 but a decline does begin to happen eventually.

Wish he had come here 4 years ago :(

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I could be wrong. It will be interesting to see what fans of Chelsea or Leicester say.

My perception was that with Leicester, France and in his first season winning season at Chelsea, he was an out and out defensive midfielder and a bloody effective disruptor in that role. Then Chelsea tried to turn him into a box to box midfielder and destroyed him.
His absolute best comes when teams play a two man midfield, have less possesion and a player sweeping up behind him. Infact he had a really good performance against Brighton two weeks ago when we effectively played 424 and had like 40% possesion, those type of games are his MO but unfortunately for him we don't have those type of games much anymore, I think last season we didn't have a game where we had less possesion until City at home in June.

As a defensive midfielder sitting Infront of the back four has never been his thing. France tried it in Euro16 and he was dropped before the quarters, Conte tried it when he first arrived at Chelsea and ditched the idea before the end of September, now Frank's trying it and it's going so well we seem desperate to get a new DM in. His proactive nature of hunting the ball leaves so many spaces in behind when he doesn't get it, the main example to my point would be Ozil's goal against us here. Kante tried to press the ball, got turned and it left Ozil and Alexis 2 vs 2 against our centre backs.

Danillaco

I saw people saying 40 million for him, isn't Partey release clause close to this?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Mostly it's a disagreement over semantics. Clearly Kante's best at winning the ball back, creating counter-attacks and moving the ball on quickly. He's never been someone like Makelele that sits and screens the defence, patiently blocking off passing lanes, so positionally he isn't a DM as Makelele or Busquets defined it, but in terms of his role he's obviously a defensive player first-and-foremost. When he played alongside Drinkwater, Drinkwater was usually the deeper of the two. His problem at Chelsea has been playing under managers who want to play possession football, so no matter where he plays he spends much more time on the ball than anyone (himself included) wants, and his pretty terrible decision-making on the ball and relatively limited technique are shown up again and again while his best qualities are less useful.

It's definitely possible that he's on the decline, but it's also obvious there isn't a great role for him at Chelsea. Not sure how he's doing for France at the moment? In any case it'd be well worth the gamble IMO, I'd say there's a good chance he can get back to his best in our setup because we're really not so good at dominating games, and we would benefit a lot from him breaking up the play and creating counter-attack opportunities. It would rely on Pogba entirely releasing Kante from responsibility for moving the ball through midfield, but he did that well post-lockdown and did it well alongside Kante in the WC.

hmchan

Mostly it's a disagreement over semantics. Clearly Kante's best at winning the ball back, creating counter-attacks and moving the ball on quickly. He's never been someone like Makelele that sits and screens the defence, patiently blocking off passing lanes, so positionally he isn't a DM as Makelele or Busquets defined it, but in terms of his role he's obviously a defensive player first-and-foremost. When he played alongside Drinkwater, Drinkwater was usually the deeper of the two. His problem at Chelsea has been playing under managers who want to play possession football, so no matter where he plays he spends much more time on the ball than anyone (himself included) wants, and his pretty terrible decision-making on the ball and relatively limited technique are shown up again and again while his best qualities are less useful.

It's definitely possible that he's on the decline, but it's also obvious there isn't a great role for him at Chelsea. Not sure how he's doing for France at the moment? In any case it'd be well worth the gamble IMO, I'd say there's a good chance he can get back to his best in our setup because we're really not so good at dominating games, and we would benefit a lot from him breaking up the play and creating counter-attack opportunities. It would rely on Pogba entirely releasing Kante from responsibility for moving the ball through midfield, but he did that well post-lockdown and did it well alongside Kante in the WC.
We're doing well in games where we have less possession and we're just fine playing counterattacking football. Our biggest problem is when we have more of the ball and I don't see how Kante helps us in this aspect but to deteriorate the situation with his "terrible decision-making on the ball".

Lebowski

really wish we signed him from Leicester. Im sure Chelsea went for him uncontested
We were in for him too apparently but he chose Chelsea over us. Kante said that Mourinho spoke to him and tried to persuade him to join United, but for one reason or another he chose Conte and Chelsea. It's amazing there wasn't more public interest in him and the final price they signed him for was so low though.

United58

Matic has been great at times but his game isn't focused on mobility; Kanté's is and it'll be very hard for him to stay on top of his game in his 30s.

meninred

Where did u guys get these stories from ? I wont be suprised if it is kevin de bryne tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.