N'Golo Kante | Chelsea Player

djdhrubs

If talks with Chelsea were already well under way by the time we approached him, he can't have been a particularly high priority signing for us, certainly not one of the 4 key signings Jose hinted at in his first presser. Sounds a bit like an afterthought, and that may be part of the reason he turned us down.

I'm not particularly gutted. Good player, a bit limited in what he offers a team, but hopefully we will have players with a more expansive game. I can't remember any pure DM's we've had in recent history, unless you count the handful of games when people like Park, Jones or Phil Neville were chucked into the midfield to do a job on the odd occasion.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Thank god we were in for him, I thought we were absolutely stupid not to be. I don't see why someone would chose Chelsea over United though, maybe it would've been different had we signed Pogba first.

How has he been playing? Haven't watched Cheslea yet.
Why would someone choose Chelsea over United? Other than more money, what can United offer that Chelsea can't?

And don't give me this "history" stuff because the vast majority of modern footballers don't give a toss about that.

izec

Gutted tbf, he is a top player and has an incredible engine. I really hoped he would come here.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Why would someone choose Chelsea over United? Other than more money, what can United offer that Chelsea can't?

And don't give me this "history" stuff because the vast majority of modern footballers don't give a toss about that.
Especially when they also don't have CL football and have a new unproven manager at the helm.

Womp

idiot

A manager who has won more than yours who is very good with players of the Kante mould, much more exposure, both in England and internationally and the opportunity to play with a lot of his fellow Frenchmen to name a few.

Also to disregard the money factor is silly, money is a huge factor in these player's decisions.

surf

He may be a limited player but in the premier league he is hugely effective and is already proving to be of great benefit to Chelsea. Easily one of the best signings of the summer and a big loss for Leics.

Irrational.

Perhaps because we have Carrick, Fellaini, Herrera, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger competing for a midfield spot. Later on, Pogba was added to the mix.

At Chelsea he was competing with Mikel, Fabregas and Matic.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Perhaps because we have Carrick, Fellaini, Herrera, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger competing for a midfield spot. Later on, Pogba was added to the mix.

Obviously Mourinho would have sold a couple of those if Kante had arrived. I'd have got rid of Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin and replaced with Kante.

RedorDead21

He probably wants to spend his holidays going unrecognised by anyone outside of England so going to Chelsea ticks that box. In Fairness no one on the Kings Road would know what a footballer looked like...

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
A manager who has won more than yours who is very good with players of the Kante mould, much more exposure, both in England and internationally and the opportunity to play with a lot of his fellow Frenchmen to name a few.

Also to disregard the money factor is silly, money is a huge factor in these player's decisions.
-Conte has won many titles and was actually a player. Not as if he'd be choosing between a serial winner and a nobody.
-Chelsea get a ton of exposure all over the world just like you guys do.
-We have plenty of French speaking players as well that would make him feel comfortable (Courtois, Hazard, Zouma, Batshuayi).

Also, I wasn't discounting the money aspect, just that's really the only factor that United can simply blow even a rich club like us out of the water. I think Chelsea overall is on equal footing as far as "attractiveness" to potential signings.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
-Conte has won many titles and was actually a player. Not as if he'd be choosing between a serial winner and a nobody.
-Chelsea get a ton of exposure all over the world just like you guys do.
-We have plenty of French speaking players as well that would make him feel comfortable (Courtois, Hazard, Zouma, Batshuayi).

Also, I wasn't discounting the money aspect, just that's really the only factor that United can simply blow even a rich club like us out of the water. I think Chelsea overall is on equal footing as far as "attractiveness" to potential signings.
Surely if you're saying the only thing extra we can offer is more money then we aren't on equal footing as far as attractiveness to potential signings? If two jobs were pretty much exactly the same but offered more money I know which one would look better to me.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Surely if you're saying the only thing extra we can offer is more money then we aren't on equal footing as far as attractiveness to potential signings? If two jobs were pretty much exactly the same but offered more money I know which one would look better to me.
Maybe things to certain players are worth more than money? Many players would prefer to play in London than Manchester for example. If for instance Chelsea offered a £150k weekly wage and United offered £175k they may not automatically choose United.

Other factors are just as important.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Maybe things to certain players are worth more than money? Many players would prefer to play in London than Manchester for example. If for instance Chelsea offered a £150k weekly wage and United offered £175k they may not automatically choose United.

Yeah fair enough.

Footyislife

Jose has always said 4 players (defender, midfielder, winger, striker). Based on transfer news I'm pretty sure his desired midfielders went in the following order:

1. Pogba
2. Matuidi
3. Kante.

No way we were in for Kante over Pogba. Kante can dream on, but it was probably feelers Woodward's team sent out as contingency for if the Pogba deal failed. I don't know if i even like Kante over Fellaini this season. I much rather like our twin towers in Pogba/Fellaini.

Ferguson

Even if he rejected us, I'm happy we tried to hijack the deal because the guy is top class

We had other priorities in the transfer window though. You can't get everyone

Irrational.

Obviously Mourinho would have sold a couple of those if Kante had arrived. I'd have got rid of Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin and replaced with Kante.
Kante wasn't to know that at the time I guess. We're struggling to offload Schweiny as it is, and Carrick signed a new contract fairly early on.

At Chelsea he's guaranteed a starting berth and less competition.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't really rate him as highly as a lot of people do so missing out on Kante is absolutely fine by me.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not particularly gutted. Good player, a bit limited in what he offers a team, but hopefully we will have players with a more expansive game. I can't remember any pure DM's we've had in recent history, unless you count the handful of games when people like Park, Jones or Phil Neville were chucked into the midfield to do a job on the odd occasion.
Kante is a B2B midfielder not a pure DM. He's actually a very underrated footballer, isn't limited at all.

3KDré

He is obviously up there with the best right now. But what's done is done and I am not too fussed.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Kante is a B2B midfielder not a pure DM. He's actually a very underrated footballer, isn't limited at all.
This is what a lot of people don't understand, including a lot of our own supporters before seeing him play for us. He's not an unskilled hard man who is only good for tackling and breaking up play. He's extremely comfortable on the ball and can spray the ball around with ease.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Jose has always said 4 players (defender, midfielder, winger, striker). Based on transfer news I'm pretty sure his desired midfielders went in the following order:

1. Pogba
2. Matuidi
3. Kante.

No way we were in for Kante over Pogba. Kante can dream on, but it was probably feelers Woodward's team sent out as contingency for if the Pogba deal failed. I don't know if i even like Kante over Fellaini this season. I much rather like our twin towers in Pogba/Fellaini.
Pogba PLUS Kante, not Kante over Pogba!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Kante wasn't to know that at the time I guess. We're struggling to offload Schweiny as it is, and Carrick signed a new contract fairly early on.

At Chelsea he's guaranteed a starting berth and less competition.
Good point. No matter what Mourinho might have told him, it was theory not reality, as things proved. From that point of view, Chelsea is a better option.

Noc-Z

ffs

Other factors may be fairly important. For example - would you rather play in front of 75,000 or 40,000 fans?

Walters_19_MuFc

Would have preferred not to know that.

That said, we've got Fellaz.

So far this season:

Fellaini (per game):

3 Appearances (270 mins)

Tackles (3.7)
Interceptions (1.3)
Clearances (2.3)
Blocks (1)

Kante (per game):

3 appearances (270 mins)

Tackles (2.7)
Interceptions (1.7)
Clearances (0.8)
Blocks (0)

:p

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Other factors may be fairly important. For example - would you rather play in front of 75,000 or 40,000 fans?
Yeah, I'm sure that's way up on the list of what a footballer is considering when making such a big decision. :rolleyes:

Be real here. The modern footballer when considering a big transfer think foremost about: money, location, manager, and club ambition (can I win titles/trophies). All of which Chelsea can offer just like United.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's just talking to make their bunch feel better. Good player, but we had other priorities...wish him luck with the geezer at the back, he's gonna need it. :drool:

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

That's not exactly an inspiring list and the Kante of last season shits all over that lot from a considerable height. Pogba, of course speaks for himself though, I imagine they could have formed a great partnership.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
London factor perhaps?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That's not exactly an inspiring list and the Kante of last season shits all over that lot from a considerable height. Pogba, of course speaks for himself though, I imagine they could have formed a great partnership.
It might not be an inspiring list to fans, but for footballer, most of them has/had good to great reputation. Then there's just too much competition for 1 spot.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
This is what a lot of people don't understand, including a lot of our own supporters before seeing him play for us. He's not an unskilled hard man who is only good for tackling and breaking up play. He's extremely comfortable on the ball and can spray the ball around with ease.
But, can't you say that about all top defensive midfielders? I really doubt you can get to this level without some skill on the ball.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
But, can't you say that about all top defensive midfielders? I really doubt you can get to this level without some skill on the ball.
The very top ones, sure. But many people who haven't seen Kante much assume(d) he was just a pure DM/destroyer. Good at the defensive side but clumsy at everything else. His actual footballing ability is so underrated.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
It might not be an inspiring list to fans, but for footballer, most of them has/had good to great reputation. Then there's just too much competition for 1 spot.
It's not competition when you're superior to all of the others by a margin, though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's not competition when you're superior to all of the others by a margin, though.
Yes that's true if he's a superstar already. But he came from Leicester, and as Schneiderlin and Fellaini have proved, it will be a big step. For one spot in CM, he has to compete with Herrera, Schneiderlin, Fellaini, Carrick, or Schweny.

And maybe the money isn't that big of a difference. Also the London factor.

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Shame we couldn't get him. Would've been brilliant with Pogba, I suppose you can't sign everyone.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The very top ones, sure. But many people who haven't seen Kante much assume(d) he was just a pure DM/destroyer. Good at the defensive side but clumsy at everything else. His actual footballing ability is so underrated.
Not underrated. He is good footballer but nothing special when it comes to ability on the ball. He has got basic skill every midfielder at top level possess.

Sparky10Legend

Yeah, I'm sure that's way up on the list of what a footballer is considering when making such a big decision. :rolleyes:

Be real here. The modern footballer when considering a big transfer think foremost about: money, location, manager, and club ambition (can I win titles/trophies). All of which Chelsea can offer just like United.

Ref the attendance thing:

So you would have signed for Parma over AC Milan in the mid nineties. No gripe with you personally but you are deluded if you think Chelsea are anywhere near the level of United on a global scale. We are one of the big four. .....CFC are RA''s plaything.