NHL 2023/2024

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Went to my first proper hockey game on Tuesday night and fecking fell in love with it.

I've always had a very casual passing interest in general...but me and my brother were in Vancouver and were bang up for a game. I hadn't realised it was the first home game since COVID restrictions.

Canucks fans were great tbf. Gutted we were only there for one game tbh.

Though it seems there is a similar vibe around Green to Ole...

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Went to my first proper hockey game on Tuesday night and fecking fell in love with it.

I've always had a very casual passing interest in general...but me and my brother were in Vancouver and were bang up for a game. I hadn't realised it was the first home game since COVID restrictions.

Canucks fans were great tbf. Gutted we were only there for one game tbh.

Though it seems there is a similar vibe around Green to Ole...
Nice one. It's one of most thrilling experiences to watch an NHL game live, or any hockey game to be honest. Glad you got to experience it. Now just sit back and enjoy the ride following this incredible sport.

londonredmaniac

Nice one. It's one of most thrilling experiences to watch an NHL game live, or any hockey game to be honest. Glad you got to experience it. Now just sit back and enjoy the ride following this incredible sport.
I expected to enjoy it. I didn't expect to be totally taken in by it mate...it was a buzz.

That's me with a Premier Sports Package :) need something I can record games on. Staying up until 4am days are long behind me :lol:

londonredmaniac

Is Thatcher Demko always this good??

From my extensive experience of 4 games he looks like the big reason The Canucks recent losses have only been by the odd goal and his saves late in the third last night weren't even human...

Tribec

:eek: Genius at work!!!

9-1 is a franchise record for the Oilers and when you consider the teams they've had in the past that's no mean feat. Coming back as they did tonight wouldn't have happened in years gone by, I dare say even last year from 4-1 down. With each game so far and that includes the defeat to the Flyers, they've increased the expectation upon themselves from the Oilers fans. We go into a 5 game road trip, come out of that over .500 and I'll be very happy.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
It upsets me so much to see the habs this bad :lol: :D

JJ12

Leafs are looking good also :drool:

BlueHaze

My own team (Penguins) are horrible. Started off with a big win against Tampa which impressed me since our big stars were out injured but things are looking grim. Feels like the decline has started. Was lucky enough to witness 2 back to back cups in the recent years but the end of an era has come. Crosby and Malkin are near the end and it will be a long time before they go back to challenging again.

Feels like Edmonton with McDavid and Leon are the next team that could have a decent time in the near future.

londonredmaniac

My own team (Penguins) are horrible. Started off with a big win against Tampa which impressed me since our big stars were out injured but things are looking grim. Feels like the decline has started. Was lucky enough to witness 2 back to back cups in the recent years but the end of an era has come. Crosby and Malkin are near the end and it will be a long time before they go back to challenging again.

Feels like Edmonton with McDavid and Leon are the next team that could have a decent time in the near future.
I've basically walked into the same arguments as a new Canucks fan as United....I have to check which forum I'm on :lol:

Green = Ole
Benning = Woodward

The Avalanche game was pretty much the equivalent of the Liverpool hammering as well. I thought this might be my new escape :)

19 goals conceded in last 3 games on Road. Even as a newbie I can see something is rank bad. 15 percent off PP and the worst Penalty Kill in the NHL...

BlueHaze

I've basically walked into the same arguments as a new Canucks fan as United....I have to check which forum I'm on :lol:

Green = Ole
Benning = Woodward

The Avalanche game was pretty much the equivalent of the Liverpool hammering as well. I thought this might be my new escape :)

19 goals conceded in last 3 games on Road. Even as a newbie I can see something is rank bad. 15 percent off PP and the worst Penalty Kill in the NHL...
New Canucks fan huh? Ouch mate. :lol:

I guess 1 thing we have in common is neither of our teams will win a cup anytime soon.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
New Canucks fan huh? Ouch mate. :lol:

I guess 1 thing we have in common is neither of our teams will win a cup anytime soon.
Can I join in with some Canadians misery? Not that I follow the NHL close enough to have any state on hand, but I know they're suffering one of their worst seasons starts in history.

Oh, and my local teams, the Sens, are doing even worse. But that's par for the course, and really, who cares. (Admittedly, lots of people do around Ottawa.)

londonredmaniac

Can I join in with some Canadians misery? Not that I follow the NHL close enough to have any state on hand, but I know they're suffering one of their worst seasons starts in history.

Oh, and my local teams, the Sens, are doing even worse. But that's par for the course, and really, who cares. (Admittedly, lots of people do around Ottawa.)
Misery loves company pal :)

BlueHaze

Seems like they need all the support they can get :lol:

So is it just a natural progression of things with Penguins?
Yeah, an end of an era. Been blessed with over a decade of Crosby and Malkin. Two of the best players to ever play the game. They are way past their best and the rest of the team arn't pulling their weight. I can't even imagine my pens without Crosby. :(

BlueHaze

Hey, they beat us 6-3 the other day. :lol:

londonredmaniac

Yeah, an end of an era. Been blessed with over a decade of Crosby and Malkin. Two of the best players to ever play the game. They are way past their best and the rest of the team arn't pulling their weight. I can't even imagine my pens without Crosby. :(
Look forward to end of November and early December then. We can have our very own shit show :)

How does it work with younger prospects etc in Hockey? Is it all draft picks? How are the younger players brought in at 19/20? Especially from Sweden etc??

Obviously with NFL it's college based, is the NHL much different?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Hey, they beat us 6-3 the other day. :lol:
Hey, they can't be everybody's punching bag every time...

Oh, and you did get that second overtime win in game 7 of the conference finals in 2017, so the Sens can beat you forever in the regular season and you still wouldn't have a right to complain. ;)

BlueHaze

Look forward to end of November and early December then. We can have our very own shit show :)

How does it work with younger prospects etc in Hockey? Is it all draft picks? How are the younger players brought in at 19/20? Especially from Sweden etc??

Obviously with NFL it's college based, is the NHL much different?
Pretty much all drafting yeah, although players can also enter the league undrafted by signing entry level contracts. A kinda recent one I can think of who went undrafted and turned out a really good player is Artemi Panarin.

BlueHaze

Hey, they can't be everybody's punching bag every time...

Oh, and you did get that second overtime win in game 7 of the conference finals in 2017, so the Sens can beat you forever in the regular season and you still wouldn't have a right to complain. ;)
Funny thing is the Sens have our back to back cup winning goalie in net. :lol:

Pretty much every Penguins fan thought he was the next top goalie due to his great goaltending in those cup runs but things quickly turned bad.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Cheers for the reminder pal. You're a proper uplifting guy around here.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Cheers for the reminder pal. You're a proper uplifting guy around here.
:lol:

Just don't read conversations you aren't a part of, you can't be blaming me for happening pass through and overhear (overread?) what we're talking about... ;)

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
:lol:

Just don't read conversations you aren't a part of, you can't be blaming me for happening pass through and overhear (overread?) what we're talking about... ;)
My thread. My rules. No Habs chat until they start to resemble of a decent NHL level team again :D

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
My thread. My rules. No Habs chat until they start to resemble of a decent NHL level team again :D
Well, let's hope I won't have to shut up for too long then! :)

And at least I can still diss the Sens in the meantime.

JJ12

Less of that stinking chat boys. This is a Leafs thread.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Penguins done OK then?
Nobody tell @WeePat, this is not the thread for that he said.
Less of that stinking chat boys. This is a Leafs thread.
Are the Leafs the most disliked NHL team? At least here in Canada, I'm not aware of another team that as many people enjoy seeing do poorly. Not sure why; I'd have thought it's the Habs given the Quebec context, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Nobody tell @WeePat, this is not the thread for that he said.

Are the Leafs the most disliked NHL team? At least here in Canada, I'm not aware of another team that as many people enjoy seeing do poorly. Not sure why; I'd have thought it's the Habs given the Quebec context, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
Yep, temp ban on any Habs chat. That includes sneaky indirects like mentioning the Pens. Consider this your first warning, londonredmaniac

Re; Leafs. I haven't met any non-Leafs fans that doesn't dislike them. They're kind of like United in a way.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Bless your heart @WeePat, I'll be back when it's less embarrassing. :lol:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yep, temp ban on any Habs chat. That includes sneaky indirects like mentioning the Pens. Consider this your first warning, londonredmaniac

Re; Leafs. I haven't met any non-Leafs fans that doesn't dislike them. They're kind of like United in a way.
Yeah @londonredmaniac, don't mention that the Pens beat the Habs 6-0.

(Six nil, Christ!!)

(No, I'm not enjoying it either.)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The Habs won though! So much for that historic losing streak...

JJ12

John Tavares has more wins in the Islanders arena than the Islanders themselves.

massi83

John Tavares has more wins in the Islanders arena than the Islanders themselves.
Whereas Islanders have 5 playoff series wins since he left and Leafs haven't won a series in 17 years.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Whereas Islanders have 5 playoff series wins since he left and Leafs haven't won a series in 17 years.
Damn, you didn't have to murder the man :lol:

Last edited:

londonredmaniac

They've done nothing but win since you said this :lol: