NHL 2023/2024

RedDevilQuebecois

It is actually pretty much perfect scenario for them. First get a cup run when they should not be in the playoffs and then get top draft pick even if they should not be bottom 3 team. Much better than the expected mediocrity of being 18-24th.
The only problem I have with that is how people believe that we would be better off with a draft pick. The last time that a really high pick helped the Habs, it was a lottery and it led to a man named Carey Price. Otherwise, Alex Galchenyuk and Jesperi Kotkaniemi didn't turn out good enough for 3rd overall draft picks compared to a number of others drafted in their respective years. Just in Kotkaniemi's case alone, several people have never stopped saying that we should have drafted Brady Tkachuk instead.

Boston managed to keep a competitive without getting top draft picks since the Joe Thornton sweepstakes in 1997 because they maintain a specific mould (especially attitude) on the type of players they want. That is how Montreal should adapt instead of relying on high draft picks based on rankings and names alone.

RedDevilQuebecois

With the win against Edmonton yesterday, the Habs are doing great since Martin St. Louis got a solid grasp on his team with a 7-1-0 record in their last 8 games. You would think that the Habs were the ones chasing a playoff spot instead of the Oilers. I don't think that we will go this far away from the bottom of the NHL because of our woes under Ducharme, but it's great to see joy back among the players.

Before St. Louis was named interim head coach, I was asking myself who is worse between Jeff Petry and Harry Maguire since their respective seasons began and with the many headaches both of them gave me. Now Petry found a good chunk of his mojo back, and thus the debate is settled.

Last edited:

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
With the win against Edmonton yesterday, the Habs are doing great since Martin St. Louis got a solid grasp on his team with a 7-1-0 record in their last 8 games. You would think that the Habs were the ones chasing a playoff spot instead of the Oilers. I don't think that we will go this far away from the bottom of the NHL because of our woes under Ducharme, but it's great to see joy back among the players.

Before St. Louis was named interim head coach, I was asking myself who is worse between Jeff Petry and Harry Maguire since their respective seasons began and with the many headaches both of them gave me. Now Petry found a good chunk of his mojo back, and thus the debate is settled.
Should be an interesting game this. Two teams who look a fair bit different now after a coaching and GM changes.

Habs recent form gives me a sense of nerves with this game. Start of a long home stand and feel it needs to set a tone.

Petey finding his form seems to be a big factor for Vancouver....but it's anyone's this game. We leak goals for fun and always present high danger chances. Demko has really been the difference.

It's a game The Canucks have to win if they're serious about playoff hockey...two teams much maligned in 2021 who have hit good form...

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Auston Matthews is sensational

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The Habs lost but this is ridiculous.:eek:

Caufield, Suzuki and Romanov are all pulling their weights and it's great to see.

sidsutton

He's electric right now. I have no idea what Ducharme was telling him earlier in the season but this is quite the transformation.

RedDevilQuebecois

He's electric right now. I have no idea what Ducharme was telling him earlier in the season but this is quite the transformation.
Caufield should have been on his way towards the Calder Trophy if it wasn't for the absolute gross squad mismanagement from Ducharme. Martin St. Louis is about the best ally Caufield can get right now since both have been through those struggles in the NHL as short players.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Everyone wants to know. It makes no sense. :lol:

Caufield should have been on his way towards the Calder Trophy if it wasn't for the absolute gross squad mismanagement from Ducharme. Martin St. Louis is about the best ally Caufield can get right now since both have been through those struggles in the NHL as short players.
While it's a nice narrative, almost everyone has been doing better so I'm not really convinced by the short players story that has been mentioned from day one. MSL is affecting everyone individually and collectively.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Anyone who puts up a goose egg on this Detroit D isn't making the playoffs. Ned didn't even have to play well for a 43 save shut out.
Tbh I don't think I'm expecting the playoffs to any great degree...and even if we sneak it what do we end up with? I expect Van to get absolutely tumbled out first round even if they did get a WC.

Been at least a more exciting run under Boudreu mind. 2 wins out of a 7 game home stand finishes it.

Still, been an interesting first season as hockey fan

RedDevilQuebecois

This is really a sad moment for me as a Habs fan to see Artturi Lehkonen traded, but the return was just way too good to pass by as it involves top prospect Justin Barron and a 2nd-round pick for 2024 from Colorado. Barron was the former Halifax Mooseheads captain and is a right-handed D-man with a lot of upside.

Thanks for the memories, Lehky. This one still stands at the top.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Well that's a shock! I don't think it was commonly known he was sick; certainly me and my colleagues are completely surprised. RIP.

But now what's that gonna mean for the franchise... It was always in danger because of a lack of success and popular support, but if it will be sold now, then I'd think it's very likely we might see the team move elsewhere. Damn.

(Although I have to say I don't actually care that much for the Sens - which is also exactly why they're in danger. I mean, the Habs might well have more fans in the Ottawa region, certainly on the Quebec side.)

RedDevilQuebecois

The real question now is about finding someone as passionate and devoted as Melnyk was in keeping the team in Ottawa for the fanbase. As people say, the shadow of moving the team has not gone away just yet, especially for as long as Gary Bettman remains the commissioner. But to be honest, I believe it can be done even without a majority owner just as it succeeded with the New York Islanders thus far. The Isles were a laughing stock under Charles Wang until New York Islanders Hockey Club L.P. became bigger and eventually bought Wang's remaining 15% in 2020. No matter the business model, a bunch of very passionate people is what Ottawa needs for the Senators.

To be honest, I really believed that the playoffs series between the Habs and the Sens in 2013 and 2015 would be the watershed moment that would build a stronger identity and bond between the Ottawa region and the Sens just as it did for Quebec City and the Nordiques in the 1980s.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The real question now is about finding someone as passionate and devoted as Melnyk was in keeping the team in Ottawa for the fanbase. As people say, the shadow of moving the team has not gone away just yet, especially for as long as Gary Bettman remains the commissioner. But to be honest, I believe it can be done even without a majority owner just as it succeeded with the New York Islanders thus far. The Isles were a laughing stock under Charles Wang until New York Islanders Hockey Club L.P. became bigger and eventually bought Wang's remaining 15% in 2020. No matter the business model, a bunch of very passionate people is what Ottawa needs for the Senators.

To be honest, I really believed that the playoffs series between the Habs and the Sens in 2013 and 2015 would be the watershed moment that would build a stronger identity and bond between the Ottawa region and the Sens just as it did for Quebec City and the Nordiques in the 1980s.
The problem is that passion for the Sens appears to be fairly rare, and that this bond isn't too strong either. I don't follow it super closely, but the Sens to some extent are just 'kinda there'. (Especially now they've been crap for a few years. It doesn't help that their stadium is in an outside suburb either.)

Also, Melnyk actually threatened to move the club a few times in the past years, and fans wanted him gone a few years ago:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/eugene-melnyk-death-ottawa-reaction-senators-1.6400920

JJ12

Auston Matthews - good lord what a player

JJ12

51 goals in 50 games.

Could’ve had 2 hat tricks tonight. Allen played well.

RedDevilQuebecois

The hockey world mourns the passing of Mike Bossy today. The New York Islanders legend and Hockey Hall of Famer is still regarded as one of the most proficient goalscorers ever seen, scoring 50 goals or more in his first 9 NHL seasons. In the last 2 decades, the 4-time Stanley Cup winner was quite as a very colorful hockey pundit in his hometown of Montreal. He was 65 years old (1957-2022).

Last edited:

sidsutton

I loved watching Bossy do his analysis. He didn’t sugarcoat his opinions and at the same time had a wicked sense of humour. I’ve been watching the tributes to him on tv all day.

I never got to see him play but he was from the very top drawer.

JJ12

pyjama boy dumping the Islanders out of play off hopes :drool:

RedDevilQuebecois

Very tough times for Quebec-based hockey fans. We just lost Mike Bossy only a week ago, but now we also lost arguably hockey's own version of George Best. Guy Lafleur was one of the most elegant players to have ever brace the game with the acceleration, the smooth strides and the hair in the wind. People didn't speak much of flow in hockey before Guy played the game, but he was the granddaddy of all masters of the game who dictated the flow all by himself. An integral part of the Montreal Canadiens' 1970s dynasty, Lafleur went on to win 5 Stanley Cups and several individual honours while scoring 518 goals for the club. His 728 assists and 1,246 points in regular season competition lead all Habs to this day.

Guy! Guy! Guy!
:( :( :(

He was my father's favorite player too. Blessed are the people who lived in the 1970s to see the best out of him.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Very tough times for Quebec-based hockey fans. We just lost Mike Bossy only a week ago, but now we also lost arguably hockey's own version of George Best. Guy Lafleur was one of the most elegant players to have ever brace the game with the acceleration, the smooth strides and the hair in the wind. People didn't speak much of flow in hockey before Guy played the game, but he was the granddaddy of all masters of the game who dictated the flow all by himself. An integral part of the Montreal Canadiens' 1970s dynasty, Lafleur went on to win 5 Stanley Cups and several individual honours while scoring 518 goals for the club. His 728 assists and 1,246 points in regular season competition lead all Habs to this day.

Guy! Guy! Guy!

He was my father's favorite player too. Blessed are the people who lived in the 1970s to see the best out of him.
Sad week.

I don't know enough hockey history, my main reference for Guy Lafleur is this song:
(And yes, he does get mentioned! ;) )

SirAnderson

Guy! Guy! Guy!

Any biopic on him or other greats perhaps?

RedDevilQuebecois

Any biopic on him or other greats perhaps?
We have a biopic for Maurice Richard (The Rocket, 2005) and a mini-series for Jean Béliveau, in which his meeting with a young Guy Lafleur at the Quebec International Pee-Wee Hockey Tournament was depicted. I think we will wait for the dust to settle down a little before something is done as a biopic about Guy Lafleur.

SirAnderson

We have a biopic for Maurice Richard (The Rocket, 2005) and a mini-series for Jean Béliveau, in which his meeting with a young Guy Lafleur at the Quebec International Pee-Wee Hockey Tournament was depicted. I think we will wait for the dust to settle down a little before something is done as a biopic about Guy Lafleur.
Cheers will check out the Maurice one.