NHL 2023/2024

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Is it me or is criticism of players in public just less of an issue in hockey?

Footballers run off crying any time a manager suggests they weren't at it, but it seems to be more widely accepted in hockey? Or am I wrong?

USREDEVIL

Is it me or is criticism of players in public just less of an issue in hockey?

Footballers run off crying any time a manager suggests they weren't at it, but it seems to be more widely accepted in hockey? Or am I wrong?
less criticism def. When a player starts to stink it up, they are moved down a line or just not selected.
Hard to hide on a smallish ice rink. Also less egos i reckon.
Won't see many Jogba's.

USREDEVIL

Can't quite believe it took me 3 decades to find out I love this game :)
I will tell you a story but don't tell anyone.
I became a huge Gretzky fan once he came to LA. Before that i did not watch sports. I was a skateboarder. But he made me fall in love with the game. We made it to the Stanley Cup finals but lost to the Canadians
Got busy in my adulthood so i stopped watching hockey for a few years also because Gretzky left and retired. During these years the LA kings won 2 Stanley Cups.
Then once i established my career i got back to watching hockey.
I'm still waiting to personally see my LA Kings win the Stanley Cup.
:(

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I will tell you a story but don't tell anyone.
I became a huge Gretzky fan once he came to LA. Before that i did not watch sports. I was a skateboarder. But he made me fall in love with the game. We made it to the Stanley Cup finals but lost to the Canadians
Got busy in my adulthood so i stopped watching hockey for a few years also because Gretzky left and retired. During these years the LA kings won 2 Stanley Cups.
Then once i established my career i got back to watching hockey.
I'm still waiting to personally see my LA Kings win the Stanley Cup.
:(
Your time will come again bud :)

You can still watch then back! I was a skater too btw.

RedDevilQuebecois

Hockey Canada and the CHL about to be in a whole heap of trouble.
All of that to protect 5 pricks who did not deserve any of that protection.

Michael McLeod (New Jersey Devils)
Cal Foote (New Jersey Devils)
Dillon Dube (Calgary Flames)
Carter Hart (Philadelphia Flyers)
Alex Formenton (HC Ambrì-Piotta)

If I were in the victim's camp, I would make sure that all of the people in the top echelons at Hockey Canada and in the CHL at the time pay for this shit.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
All of that to protect 5 pricks who did not deserve any of that protection.

Michael McLeod (New Jersey Devils)
Cal Foote (New Jersey Devils)
Dillon Dube (Calgary Flames)
Carter Hart (Philadelphia Flyers)
Alex Formenton (HC Ambrì-Piotta)

If I were in the victim's camp, I would make sure that all of the people in the top echelons at Hockey Canada and in the CHL at the time pay for this shit.
What's this about?

RedDevilQuebecois

What's this about?
A number of then-members of Canada's 2018 IIHF World Junior champions gang-raped a woman in the aftermath of a fundraising event in London, Ontario. The real feck-up here is that Hockey Canada (the CHL is also part of Hockey Canada) basically paid hush money to the victim and thus protected the culprits for too long. Investigations have been going on for nearly 2 years now. It was only yesterday that the local police summoned 5 (unnamed) players to surrender and to be formally indicted.

Hockey Canada sexual assault scandal (Wikipedia article)

It is not a coincidence that those 5 players have suddenly left their respective clubs by citing bullshit excuses. All of those 5 players were members of that team and were present in that fundraising event.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
A number of then-members of Canada's 2018 IIHF World Junior champions gang-raped a woman in the aftermath of a fundraising event in London, Ontario. The real feck-up here is that Hockey Canada (the CHL is also part of Hockey Canada) basically paid hush money to the victim and thus protected the culprits for too long. Investigations have been going on for nearly 2 years now. It was only yesterday that the local police summoned 5 (unnamed) players to surrender and to be formally indicted.

It is not a coincidence that those 5 players have suddenly left their respective clubs by citing bullshit excuses. All of those 5 players were members of that team and were present in that fundraising event.
Take them to a notorious Canadian prison & bury them under it.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

This whole thing has been absolutely scandalous. I'm hoping Hockey Canada has put these practices firmly behind them now, after the public riot about it and the change of management - but let's see!
Take them to a notorious Canadian prison & bury them under it.
If only there were one!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I know it's not NHL, but we're going to an PWHL game next weekend. From what I've been reading, they have really good atmosphere: very lively and loud crowds (even if they're considerable smaller than in the NHL). I have no idea whether the hockey is any good, but I look forward to experiencing this! (And Ottawa isn't even bottom! Well, all teams are still super close together anyway.)

RedDevilQuebecois

I know it's not NHL, but we're going to an PWHL game next weekend. From what I've been reading, they have really good atmosphere: very lively and loud crowds (even if they're considerable smaller than in the NHL). I have no idea whether the hockey is any good, but I look forward to experiencing this! (And Ottawa isn't even bottom! Well, all teams are still super close together anyway.)
I attended the Ottawa @ Montreal game yesterday. The 8,600+ people at Place Bell in Laval had the same energy as in some of the very best Laval Rocket (AHL) games out there. As for the gameplay, it is very intense and easily a lot more intense than anything we may have been used to from watching international women's hockey. Ann-Renée Desbiens put up quite a performance with over 40 saves to lead her team to an overtime victory over fellow Team Canada teammate Emerance Maschmeyer in a goaltending battle.

Minnesota have the best crowds so far with 13,000+ on every home night, but Toronto will be looking to break that PWHL record on February 16 by hosting Montreal @ Toronto at Scotiabank Arena (home of the Maple Leafs). I can only speculate, but I strongly believe that the Bell Centre will be open for the Toronto @ Montreal game on March 16 because the Habs will be out town and because no other event is scheduled on that day.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I attended the Ottawa @ Montreal game yesterday. The 8,600+ people at Place Bell in Laval had the same energy as in some of the very best Laval Rocket (AHL) games out there. As for the gameplay, it is very intense and easily a lot more intense than anything we may have been used to from watching international women's hockey. Ann-Renée Desbiens put up quite a performance with over 40 saves to lead her team to an overtime victory over fellow Team Canada teammate Emerance Maschmeyer in a goaltending battle.

Minnesota have the best crowds so far with 13,000+ on every home night, but Toronto will be looking to break that PWHL record on February 16 by hosting Montreal @ Toronto at Scotiabank Arena (home of the Maple Leafs). I can only speculate, but I strongly believe that the Bell Centre will be open for the Toronto @ Montreal game on March 16 because the Habs will be out town and because no other event is scheduled on that day.
That sounds great! :) I've been reading about the games and they seem to be real happenings, so I'm really looking forward to that. Maybe they'll also use the Canadian Tire Centre (Sens arena) for one of the Toronto or Montreal games here in Ottawa. If they manage to keep the price down and advertise it properly, it might also get a really good crowd.

Have you read anything about the financial viability of the league? So far, with lots of big crowds, it seems to do really well locally everywhere and I would love for the league to grow bigger; but I have no idea how realistic that is.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The 8,600+ people at Place Bell in Laval had the same energy as in some of the very best Laval Rocket (AHL) games out there.
Just out of curiosity btw, how does the AHL compare to the Q (LHJMQ) in terms of quality?

RedDevilQuebecois

Just out of curiosity btw, how does the AHL compare to the Q (LHJMQ) in terms of quality?
Definitely above. The AHL have grown men (mostly 20 years and older) and are only one notch below the NHL while junior teams have players in different levels of development (ages 16-20).

That sounds great! :) I've been reading about the games and they seem to be real happenings, so I'm really looking forward to that. Maybe they'll also use the Canadian Tire Centre (Sens arena) for one of the Toronto or Montreal games here in Ottawa. If they manage to keep the price down and advertise it properly, it might also get a really good crowd.

Have you read anything about the financial viability of the league? So far, with lots of big crowds, it seems to do really well locally everywhere and I would love for the league to grow bigger; but I have no idea how realistic that is.
Every single game feels like a happening regardless of where it is played. I don't think ticket prices will change in the event a team plays in a bigger arena this season. And I know because I also attended a few matches from the now-defunct CWHL at the Bell Centre for fairly cheap prices a few years ago.

Only time will tell about financial viability, but I strongly believe that they found a solid structure with serious sponsors. I think that we will see this "Original Six" grow the game for a few years and then expand once the business model has solidified the base. Any future expansion will also have to consider the quality of the player pool available and then find ways to compete against the Scandinavian leagues because the retention power in Sweden and Finland is still very strong somehow.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Every single game feels like a happening regardless of where it is played. I don't think ticket prices will change in the event a team plays in a bigger arena this season. And I know because I also attended a few matches from the now-defunct CWHL at the Bell Centre for fairly cheap prices a few years ago.

Only time will tell about financial viability, but I strongly believe that they found a solid structure with serious sponsors. I think that we will see this "Original Six" grow the game for a few years and then expand once the business model has solidified the base. Any future expansion will also have to consider the quality of the player pool available and then find ways to compete against the Scandinavian leagues because the retention power in Sweden and Finland is still very strong somehow.
Cheers. That sounds good. We'll see then!

Last edited:

massi83

Everyone in the met immediately fell off as soon as I posted that so I am going to reserve judgement about my Wings whilst we are doing well :lol:
Good chance now, maybe 40-50%. Hasn't even been an easy schedule. Although I will never be convinced that Alex Lyon is even an average nhl keeper. But the good form of Wings seems to more than that.

RedDevilQuebecois

MORGAN RIELLY!!! What the feck was that? :mad: I'm old enough to remember when Dale Hunter crosschecked Pierre Turgeon after a goal (see both videos below).

If it was for me, Rielly would be suspended for 21 games just like that Hunter got in a similar context back in 1993. Hitting someone that violently after a goal is totally uncalled for.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Didn't Kariya get hit like that? Vaguely recall it likely affected his career progression thereafter, though he still was a fantastic player but perhaps never hit the heights predicted.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
So you're not supposed to slapshot that into the net? Like the batflip in baseball?

It looks totally fine to me, but the presenters are also talking as if the Sens dude committed a bit on offense there. I think that would be very silly (if that shot were somehow offensive), but either way, Reilly's response is ridiculous.

But hey, does anyone like the Leafs outside their own fans...? I feel like they're the most disliked franchise in Canada.

RedDevilQuebecois

Considering that Scheifele got 4 games for the Evans hit then Rielly should get that at least.
By the "modern" NHL standards, most likely. Brendan Gallagher got 5 games for a deliberate elbow to an opponent's head, but again I feel we are at the mercy of the fact that Rielly plays for the Leafs and is an important player for them.

So you're not supposed to slapshot that into the net? Like the batflip in baseball?

It looks totally fine to me, but the presenters are also talking as if the Sens dude committed a bit on offense there. I think that would be very silly (if that shot were somehow offensive), but either way, Reilly's response is ridiculous.

But hey, does anyone like the Leafs outside their own fans...? I feel like they're the most disliked franchise in Canada.
The crosscheck was outright gratuitous. I had no problem with the slapshot, but the usual reaction from the other side would be to mug the shooter at the most.

Speaking of the commentators, there is a reason why often dub Sportsnet as Leafsnet. Chris Cuthbert is such a homer in Leafs games and it was just so obvious in the Habs/Leafs series almost 3 years ago.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I feel like the slapshot would be the equivalent of a player being through on an empty net in football and then stopping on the goal line and then backheeling it in or getting on his knees to head it in. It's unsporting.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I feel like the slapshot would be the equivalent of a player being through on an empty net in football and then stopping on the goal line and then backheeling it in or getting on his knees to head it in. It's unsporting.
Thanks. Yeah, that's what Reilly's reaction suggested. It's funny though: it's not really much extra effort, it's all in one move whole continuing to skate - unlike those things in football which are much more elaborate (and hence embarrassing).

massi83

There's very little wrong with it, unless you are old man yelling at clouds type. Also very nonsensical, since there’s actually a non-zero chance of missing the slap shot. Hope he gets 10 games at least, but I expect 6.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Thanks. Yeah, that's what Reilly's reaction suggested. It's funny though: it's not really much extra effort, it's all in one move whole continuing to skate - unlike those things in football which are much more elaborate (and hence embarrassing).
Yeah the reaction was ridiculous, but I think it just comes across as a ‘feck you’, which is like, okay so what. I love shithousery in sports, and I love the hostility that comes with it, as long as it doesn’t go too far. I think Creig knew what he was doing was going to provoke a reaction.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
There are actually Leafs fans and people within the Leafs organisation trying to say it was justified. I hope he gets the rest of the season. Awful organisation.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
There are actually Leads fans and people within the Leads organisation trying to say it was justified. I hope he gets the rest of the season. Awful organisation.
Keefe justifying it is worse than fans being fans tbh.

massi83

There are actually Leads fans and people within the Leads organisation trying to say it was justified. I hope he gets the rest of the season. Awful organisation.
Ugh, the combination of Leeds and Leafs does sound like the worst.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Keefe justifying it is worse than fans being fans tbh.

Christ. 'Emotions', 'has a right to react'. I suppose that's the same attitude that thinks fighting still has a place in hockey.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I can't stop rolling my eyes over all the armchair fans who show how tough they are for thinking Rielly should've done something worse, or better yet saying they'd do something worse if they had been on the ice. They just love to be hypothetically tougher and more manly than modern athletes.

RedDevilQuebecois

WHAT?! :eek: :lol: :nono: This quote below is coming from the loudmouthed clown who couldn't do squat against Arber Xhekaj and who didn't go for a rematch against Xhekaj with more than 2 periods left.

'Make Hockey Violent Again': Maple Leafs' Ryan Reaves Reacts to Morgan Rielly's In-Person Hearing With NHL Department of Player Safety (The Hockey News)

After everything I have read from Keefe, Toronto-based media and so on, I swear this is gettting embarrassing to any sane human mind. No one in Montreal defended Brendan Gallagher when he threw a gratuitous elbow to an opponent's head a few weeks ago and he took 5 games for that.

There are actually Leafs fans and people within the Leafs organisation trying to say it was justified. I hope he gets the rest of the season. Awful organisation.
Yep.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
WHAT?! :eek: :lol: :nono: This quote below is coming from the loudmouthed clown who couldn't do squat against Arber Xhekaj and who didn't go for a rematch against Xhekaj with more than 2 periods left.

'Make Hockey Violent Again': Maple Leafs' Ryan Reaves Reacts to Morgan Rielly's In-Person Hearing With NHL Department of Player Safety (The Hockey News)

After everything I have read from Keefe, Toronto-based media and so on, I swear this is gettting embarrassing to any sane human mind. No one in Montreal defended Brendan Gallagher when he threw a gratuitous elbow to an opponent's head a few weeks ago and he took 5 games for that.

Yep.
Reaves - "The game has changed a lot and it’s unfortunate that a young kid like that can get away with something like that and then one of our best players is going to get suspended for it."

Getting cross checked in the head after the whistle = getting away with it. :houllier: