NHL 2023/2024

RedDevilQuebecois

Corey Perry waived by the Blackhawks. Rumours on Twitter are that he's been up to no good with Connor Bedard's mum. Surely not?

Jimmy Murphy (a well-known journo across the NHL and especially covering the Boston Bruins) says that he hears it is similar to what happened to Ime Udoka and the Boston Celtics.

Just to remind a few facts to people here: Ime Udoka was the head coach of the Boston Celtics until he was suspended upon findings of an improper intimate relationship with a female Celtics staff member. When Udoka's replacement led the Celtics to a 42–17 record at the NBA All-Star break, Udoka was simply fired.

Whoever Corey Perry screwed with, the Hawks chose to take action here. Nevertheless, I promise you that there will be a number of teams out there willing to give him a roster spot.

RedDevilQuebecois

I didn't know what to expect when the Habs first drafted Juraj Slafkovsky, but yesterday was some sort of coming of age for him. He has been increasingly better and better for weeks now. He looked decent as a 19-year-old in his first ever scrap against Buffalo's 28-year-old Connor Clifton and then later used quite a deke move to win the game in the shootout. May he keep on going.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Brock Boeser rescues my night.

At the risk of sounding like I know something about hockey (I don't tbf).

This Vancouver team isn't a contender but it's certainly fun being in the mix. Oilers seem to have put their early season woes behind them and can see them sneaking up with games in hand and a good start to new year.

Be interested to see if and how it builds next few years anyway.

Watching Hughes, Miller and Boeser is gold at the moment. Having some proper back up for Demko is a huge plus. If Petey discovers his top form consistently we are cooking.

I really like what Tocchet is getting out of this group. Seems to be alot of credit going to Adam Foote as well. If we can find a way to put in a strong first 20 we are flying :lol: but we are winning those scrappy games which is a bonus.

Unlike United, the off season recruitment has been spot on and getting Zadorov a proper added bonus. Lafferty in particular has been excellent and Hronek Hughes pairing is genuine top quality.

Quite pleased with what Allvin is doing so far and hopefully we can see the light from the Jim Benning contracts.

We will lose 5 on the spin after posting this.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I didn't know what to expect when the Habs first drafted Juraj Slafkovsky, but yesterday was some sort of coming of age for him. He has been increasingly better and better for weeks now. He looked decent as a 19-year-old in his first ever scrap against Buffalo's 28-year-old Connor Clifton and then later used quite a deke move to win the game in the shootout. May he keep on going.

I also didn't know what to expect especially since the special thing that I noticed is not mentioned enough and hasn't been emphasized enough on the ice by the coaching staff. I think that he is more of a creator than a shooter and a pretty skilled creator in spite of his size. I feel that I have been fooled by his size and some of the highlights I saw from him at the Junior World Cup, to me he seems to be closer to the wing version of Dach.

londonredmaniac

I'll take 5 in the third period all day long, hell, any period.
The Oilers have really picked up after a poor start so I had my eye on the Tampa game hoping you'd do something.

Looked a fun game of hockey tbh. Still can't believe Stamkos finds that angle out the air. Kucherov goal was a strange one n all.

Canucks are going to go through a slump at some point and any buffer is welcome as I can only see Vegas and LA in spots 1 and 2 in The Pacific.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Hronek Hughes pairing is genuine top quality.
It is and what is most annoying about that is that Detroit identified that it would be a good pairing and went into the 2018 Draft fully taking Quinn Hughes with a view to him playing in that first year, but when Zadina fell to them Ken Holland couldn't resist when we had absolutely no need for a player in Zadina's mould and desperately needed young defenseman in the pipeline.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The Oilers have really picked up after a poor start so I had my eye on the Tampa game hoping you'd do something.

Looked a fun game of hockey tbh. Still can't believe Stamkos finds that angle out the air. Kucherov goal was a strange one n all.

Canucks are going to go through a slump at some point and any buffer is welcome as I can only see Vegas and LA in spots 1 and 2 in The Pacific.
Fell asleep listening to the game last night mid second period after they tied it up. Just watched the highlights, Stammer made something out of absolutely nothing.

londonredmaniac

It is and what is most annoying about that is that Detroit identified that it would be a good pairing and went into the 2018 Draft fully taking Quinn Hughes with a view to him playing in that first year, but when Zadina fell to them Ken Holland couldn't resist when we had absolutely no need for a player in Zadina's mould and desperately needed young defenseman in the pipeline.
Wasn't aware the Red Wings had him in their grasp if they wanted him.

TBF though, it's an absolute dagger in Nick's fans hearts that Benning went for Juolevi when Tkachuck was going. All easy looking backwards I guess.

Hughes has really found a new level since getting the C.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
With every passing weeks we are closer to Lane Hutson first NHL game and I can't wait. His skill level and vision are incredible.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I am not following hockey at all right now, but I came across this goal from Bedard. Also a nice bit of skill:

londonredmaniac

That Metropolitan division is crazy tight. Looks like it'll be a real scrap for 3rd if you assume Rangers will top it..maybe even 2nd.

Oilers have certainly found their feet too after that start...annoyingly :lol:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
That Metropolitan division is crazy tight. Looks like it'll be a real scrap for 3rd if you assume Rangers will top it..maybe even 2nd.

Oilers have certainly found their feet too after that start...annoyingly :lol:
It will be 3 from the Atlantic and 5 from the Met this year. It's been ridiculously strong this year.

massi83

It will be 3 from the Atlantic and 5 from the Met this year. It's been ridiculously strong this year.
Rangers and Canes are locks. Pit almost, NJ if they stay healthier.

On the other hand Washington have no chance, goal difference of -23, so they will be bottom 5 in east. And NYI and Philly aren't really good teams, though neither are Tampa or Detroit.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Rangers and Canes are locks. Pit almost, NJ if they stay healthier.

On the other hand Washington have no chance, goal difference of -23, so they will be bottom 5 in east. And NYI and Philly aren't really good teams, though neither are Tampa or Detroit.
Philly just got a shit load better with the acquisition of Drysdale though.

Zegras being out on the market is a ridiculous thing to think about but I would love Detroit to be in for him, we've got loads of defensive prospects in the pipeline but bringing in another top young forward would be a massive help.

massi83

Philly just got a shit load better with the acquisition of Drysdale though.

Zegras being out on the market is a ridiculous thing to think about but I would love Detroit to be in for him, we've got loads of defensive prospects in the pipeline but bringing in another top young forward would be a massive help.
They did, but that forward group is rather bad. Obviously they have chance, but less than 50%.

Zegras is exciting and will do lots of points, but then you have to overpay for his salary. And thus I don't think he is a player that will get any team more wins.

londonredmaniac

Some good games last night.

I fancied the Sens game to be a fun watch beforehand. Leafs too, looked the game of the night.

Vegas and LA Losing in regulation. All results our way!!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I saw the Sens game against the Sharks live yesterday - and it reminded me how long it's been since I really watched hockey. I couldn't remember any of the rules about icing! :lol: It was a bit of a messy game and I guess it showed these are two of the weakest teams in the league; but the live experience is always fun. Great ending, too: at 4-4 with 4 seconds left in the third period, the Sens scored the 5-4, so everyone went nuts - but then the Sharks challenged the goal (goaltender interference) and a review had to take place. When that was done and the challenge was dismissed, the arena erupted again, and then of course once more when the match finished after 4 more seconds of play.

I know VAR is destroying everyone's experience in soccer, but this time, I absolutely loved getting to celebrate that goal twice. :D

londonredmaniac

I saw the Sens game against the Sharks live yesterday - and it reminded me how long it's been since I really watched hockey. I couldn't remember any of the rules about icing! :lol: It was a bit of a messy game and I guess it showed these are two of the weakest teams in the league; but the live experience is always fun. Great ending, too: at 4-4 with 4 seconds left in the third period, the Sens scored the 5-4, so everyone went nuts - but then the Sharks challenged the goal (goaltender interference) and a review had to take place. When that was done and the challenge was dismissed, the arena erupted again, and then of course once more when the match finished after 4 more seconds of play.

I know VAR is destroying everyone's experience in soccer, but this time, I absolutely loved getting to celebrate that goal twice. :D
I had my eye on that one before it started and thought it could be a hell of a game.

Two teams struggling and letting in a crazy amount of goals can always be a decent watch.

Great game to go to as well.

londonredmaniac

Nothing. They have generally been an average to bad team. They have had the same issues for years, below average defense, terrible goaltending and their team offense is kind of fake, it entirely relies on the individual abilities of the two best offensive players in the league. The same could be said about the Leafs, poorly built rosters that are saved by other-worldly individuals.
The Oilers are cooking now. I'd hate to get them in the playoffs at the moment!

Leafs seem to be in a strange place. Don't quite know what to expect from them at the moment.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I had my eye on that one before it started and thought it could be a hell of a game.

Two teams struggling and letting in a crazy amount of goals can always be a decent watch.

Great game to go to as well.
Did you watch it? As I said, I'm not too used to hockey, but I thought there were fairly long passages when the play was rather disjointed - the puck just bouncing around with neither team able to put any kind of move together. When the play was more coherent (in my eyes, anyway), I thought it was mostly Ottawa that had periods of dominance where they put nice attacks together, while the Sharks seemed a bit more random throughout, even when they were pressuring the Sens for longer bits.

I wonder if any of that makes sense to people that know hockey. :D

londonredmaniac

I only saw the highlights tbh.

I can imagine it was a bit scrappy like. Though it looked, like you said, Sens had a bit more to them. I'd expect San Jose were dumping the puck a bit and trying to disrupt the flow. Its their best chance of getting some success.

Sharks have been pretty poor all season. Managed to beat us once mind! I can't pretend to know the game well, but much like you said I enjoy watching it.