NHL 2023/2024

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Christ. 'Emotions', 'has a right to react'. I suppose that's the same attitude that thinks fighting still has a place in hockey.
I mean, I still have no problems if two guys want to go at it tbh. I get what you mean but I don't mind it at all. Probably because it's the opposite of pathetic stuff in football.

What happened the other night was just uncalled for. Yeah the slap shot was unnecessary...but The Sens haven't exactly had a lot to celebrate of late.

It was a proper dickhead move that reaction and the more games he gets the better.

londonredmaniac

Reaves - "The game has changed a lot and it’s unfortunate that a young kid like that can get away with something like that and then one of our best players is going to get suspended for it."

Getting cross checked in the head after the whistle = getting away with it. :houllier:
Unbelievable tbh

RedDevilQuebecois

The NHL Safety Department is a fecking joke.:mad:

Only 5 games, REALLY?!

edit: Anyway, I also believe the NHL should have also slapped Sheldon Keefe and Ryan Reaves with hefty fees for the crap they said in the media.

Last edited:

londonredmaniac

Boston game was a complete bust, really disappointed with that. But 7 points out of 10 on a 5 game road trip is a really decent return. Top of the Pacific and NHL in mid Feb? Nobody could have seen that. Still feel it'll get found out in the playoffs tbh (not that I know anything about play off hockey really), be interested to know what other people think.

See LA got absolutely smoked last night. I thought they'd be stronger this year. Pretty good night for Canadian teams last night as well. Sens have put some form together.

RedDevilQuebecois

Morgan Rielly has chosen to appeal his 5-game suspension.

The sense of entitlement in that club and city, man. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
In a world where no one complained when Perron got 6 games for trying to protect a teammate who got cross checked into unconsciousness. Reilly only getting 5 and STILL having the temerity to appeal like he hasn't been let off massively is a fecking joke.

If the Leafs spent more cap on actually compiling a defensive core instead of giving 50% of the cap to 4 forwards, you wouldn't have to brick it and just take your medicine.

God the Leafs suck.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
In some positive Toronto-related news, the PWHL set a new record for women's hockey attendance tonight, when Toronto played Montreal in the Leafs' Scotiabank Arena (and beat Montreal 3-0). The place was sold out, with a crowd.of 19,285.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/pwhl/montreal-toronto-pwhl-recap-feb-16-1.7118264

I wonder if they could do this more regularly, or if they need these one-offs against actual rivals (and maybe even the novelty factor of the new league) to get sufficient attendance numbers for this sort of arena.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm not totally surprised based on the things he showcased before the points floodgates opened but I'm still baffled by how quickly Slafkovsky integrated new things to his game. The only thing that keeps kreeping into my mind is whether he could be a center or if he is better at supporting a "softer" center or he could simply stay with Caufield and Suzuki.
Also Suzuki looking more and more like an elite two-way centerman that can flirt with a point per game average while being a Selke candidate is a bit crazy.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Habs fans couldn't shut up about Ruzicka and now we discover that he is waived allegedly due to a video of himself and some white powder.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
The NHL Safety Department is a fecking joke.:mad:

Only 5 games, REALLY?!

edit: Anyway, I also believe the NHL should have also slapped Sheldon Keefe and Ryan Reaves with hefty fees for the crap they said in the media.
Lit a fire under the boys. Atta boy Morgs

RedDevilQuebecois

Habs fans couldn't shut up about Ruzicka and now we discover that he is waived allegedly due to a video of himself and some white powder.
That doesn't mean much considering that Evgeny Kuznetsov is still a Washington Capital after he went through the same thing.

Giggsyking

I cant believe its 2024 and they still do this shit. It's a stupid sport to begin with, you can not make it more interesting by adding mid game fist fights.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

I cant believe its 2024 and they still do this shit. It's a stupid sport to begin with, you can not make it more interesting by adding mid game fist fights.
Its a great sport and evidently, yes you can, take your bitch made posts elsewhere.

Also, Patrick effing Kane boys. What a guy.

Giggsyking

Its a great sport and evidently, yes you can, take your bitch made posts elsewhere.

Also, Patrick effing Kane boys. What a guy.
Slowdown brother. It's an opinion about the sport, you don't have to take it personally. And this fist fight is so crazy it has been banned almost everywhere.

RedDevilQuebecois

It's all about two consenting adults going at each other. I prefer to see that instead of plenty of cheap shots made by players who will chicken out like cowards instead of answering for their actions.

Giggsyking

It's all about two consenting adults going at each other. I prefer to see that instead of plenty of cheap shots made by players who will chicken out like cowards instead of answering for their actions.
But how does that add to the game? There is a reason it has been banned everywhere except north America. It's an endemic that result in serious injuries that has nothing to do with the skillset of the sport itself.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's absolutely dumb. It has nothing to do with the sport, and is more generally just childish behaviour that sets a bad example. And all that in a society that gets increasingly concerned with concussions. Under all circumstances (inside and outside sport), people getting into a fist fight should be pulled apart - yet in hockey it's a spectacle and they ring a boxing bell (at least on tv).

I guess if you think this sort of thing should be OK anywhere (in public and in all sports), at least it's a consistent opinion. But I think it makes no sense and is so out of touch with society that it's embarrassing.

RedDevilQuebecois

In any case, I don't see Matt Rempe making a sustainable career in the NHL if that is what he does more or less on every night. I'm kinda glad that Mathieu Olivier pummeled Rempe hard very early in Rempe's NHL career so that we stop the hype train coming from New York pundits and from Rock'em Sock'em Hockey fans. That should also force Rempe to find other ways to stay in the NHL if he can. By the way, where were the NHL's spotters if there was a risk of a concussion?

Speaking of a guy who seems to have found a way to find sustainability as an NHL player after starting off as someone with the reputation of a goon, Arber Xhekaj did this yesterday in the annual team skills competition at the Bell Centre (good timestamp). We knew he can hit and fight, but he can also rip those rockets if he's given a proper chance on special teams. He scored 2 monster slappers in recent games and only 2 other NHL players had recorded harder slap shots than this.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
With the cap expecting to take a significant jump this year and good projections for the next couple.after that, that will be a very good number for him and team for the duration.

It is obviously off set by how hideous JT Miller's deal is going to be by the end of that contract.

londonredmaniac

With the cap expecting to take a significant jump this year and good projections for the next couple.after that, that will be a very good number for him and team for the duration.

It is obviously off set by how hideous JT Miller's deal is going to be by the end of that contract.
I agree on the face of it bud. As you say, the Miller contract will most likely age badly. He's putting in great numbers now though.

Hopefully he ages like a fine wine :)

massi83

I thought it might go north of 12.5 tbh, there was a ton of chatter around 100m plus.
Over 12.5 would have been bad. I can give it ok+. Certainly better than Nylander's. Quinn is extremely cheap and demko and miller cheap for the next 3-4 years. OEL buy-out then a bit of a drag. But cup window open until Quinn and Demko get raises and Miller worsens.

londonredmaniac

Over 12.5 would have been bad. I can give it ok+. Certainly better than Nylander's. Quinn is extremely cheap and demko and miller cheap for the next 3-4 years. OEL buy-out then a bit of a drag. But cup window open until Quinn and Demko get raises and Miller worsens.
There's a chance! It's a big turnaround, this year looks a bit early. Too many teams I couldn't see a win against over 7.

The Myers contract is also a huge hit, 6 million a year or whatever it is. some of these Benning contracts have been pretty poor value. OEL as you mentioned bud.

Garland has been excellent on that very tidy third line and I would love to see Joshua extended.

Be interested to see what the plan is for Lekkerimäki next season too, whether he ends up at Abby or, as some suggest, ends up straight in Vancouver.

massi83

There's a chance! It's a big turnaround, this year looks a bit early. Too many teams I couldn't see a win against over 7.

The Myers contract is also a huge hit, 6 million a year or whatever it is. some of these Benning contracts have been pretty poor value. OEL as you mentioned bud.

Garland has been excellent on that very tidy third line and I would love to see Joshua extended.

Be interested to see what the plan is for Lekkerimäki next season too, whether he ends up at Abby or, as some suggest, ends up straight in Vancouver.
Anyone who gets to the playoffs has a chance. Well apart from Leafs of course.

Myers' contract ends this season, so not a problem. Doubt you will do anything big this season and there is still enough cap space for minor additions.

Up to Lekkerimäki to make an impression on camp. You will have spot(s) open in the top6. A rookie contract would be a huge help.

londonredmaniac

Anyone who gets to the playoffs has a chance. Well apart from Leafs of course.

Myers' contract ends this season, so not a problem. Doubt you will do anything big this season and there is still enough cap space for minor additions.

Up to Lekkerimäki to make an impression on camp. You will have spot(s) open in the top6. A rookie contract would be a huge help.
Don't fancy Leafs to break the hoodoo?

Yeah I thought Myers contract went another season. He gets a lot of stick but mainly related to the contract, he interesting to see what Canucks offer him.

Still feel we need something before the deadline to go deep, but like you say who knows?

3 win road trip always good for the soul :)

If you had to put your money in, who you fancy for the cup?

massi83

Don't fancy Leafs to break the hoodoo?

Yeah I thought Myers contract went another season. He gets a lot of stick but mainly related to the contract, he interesting to see what Canucks offer him.

Still feel we need something before the deadline to go deep, but like you say who knows?

3 win road trip always good for the soul :)

If you had to put your money in, who you fancy for the cup?
The top 5-6 in both conferences are very capable of winning. Florida probably narrow favourites. Hopefully not Vegas Golden LTIRs.