Nicholas Jackson

OverratedOpinion

Every season we all say that pre season means nothing then every season without fail a bunch of people fall for it.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I guess this was bound to happen when i put him on my fantasy team, unfortunately my voodoo don't seem to work on Haaland...

Idxomer

Every season we all say that pre season means nothing then every season without fail a bunch of people fall for it.
He has started reasonably well but he's going to fizzle out when the misses start affecting his confidence.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That aged well :lol:
Missed an absolute sitter as well:lol:
I wasn’t comparing him to Drogba. I was telling Gringo he wasn’t the only one who thought Drogba when watching Jackson.

But yeah, very bad miss today. He was playing alright as it was, feeding off scraps but he was working hard to stay involved in the game.

Abraxas

He should probably be more like a backup/rotation/development option at this level, shouldn't he? 30 million shouldn't buy you top class and it probably hasn't. He was going to go to Bournemouth prior to that!

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Our attack generally is dogshit and misses get highlighted more because of it. E.g Haaland misses a pen, Ageuro missed and open goal v us a couple of seasons ago. If the team generally scores goals everyone forgets quickly.

Not at Chelsea...

I actually pity our attacking players when we go 5 at the back.

OverratedOpinion

1.4 successful take-ons per 90 is a tremendous dribbler now? Christ.

I remember when the likes of Neymar, Hazard, and Messi were averaging around 5 or 6 successful take-ons per match. Times must be tough at Stamford Bridge these days
I think you need to also look at the success rate when he does try and take players on too which based on those stats is brilliant.

Could mean 1 of 2 things. Either he is a top dribbler and would benefit from trying to take players on more often or that he only tries when it is a high percentage option. I have no idea as I have not watched him very much but the stats are pretty good.

kaku06

I don’t rate him at all. Has nothing in his game that stands out. Works hard and all but no where good enough. Eddie nketiah is miles better than him and he’s second choice at Arsenal. 1 billion fecking pounds spent in just 12 months and this is what they have to show, this is what they have bought to score goals.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t rate him at all. Has nothing in his game that stands out. Works hard and all but no where good enough. Eddie nketiah is miles better than him and he’s second choice at Arsenal. 1 billion fecking pounds spent in just 12 months and this is what they have to show, this is what they have bought to score goals.

:lol:

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
In the first four matches Jackson's xG of 3.70 is third highest in the EPL, only behind Haaland at 4.7 and Mbeumo at 3.8.

So far he's been getting himself in goal scoring positions often enough which is very promising. His link-up seems good and he can time his runs well to get into these dangerous positions on a regular basis.

Was a horrible miss against Forest but otherwise I'm really liking what I'm seeing from this guy. If he can keep up similar performances I'm sure the finishing will come too. Just needs a bit of confidence to start firing.

Care_de_Bobo

In the first four matches Jackson's xG of 3.70 is third highest in the EPL, only behind Haaland at 4.7 and Mbeumo at 3.8.

So far he's been getting himself in goal scoring positions often enough which is very promising. His link-up seems good and he can time his runs well to get into these dangerous positions on a regular basis.

Was a horrible miss against Forest but otherwise I'm really liking what I'm seeing from this guy. If he can keep up similar performances I'm sure the finishing will come too. Just needs a bit of confidence to start firing.
Very wishful thinking, there's nothing I've seen from his shooting technique that suggests he's going to start converting these chances on a regular basis. His only goal so far came from sliding in to convert a tap in.

Chelsea desperately need Nkunku back because they'll seriously struggle for goals without him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

He had developed a good connection with Nkunku and Mudryk in preseason. He seems like he works well with Sterling, Maatsen and Chukwuemeka too. I can't for the life of me understand why Poch persists with Chilwell at LW.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Or he could be a young Welbeck, scorer of great goals but not a great goalscorer

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Or he could be a young Welbeck, scorer of great goals but not a great goalscorer
It would be great if he could develop into a 20-30 goal scorer, that's the dream but I could settle for a 10-15 goal striker (and the occasional 20-25 goal season) but he continues to bring everything else he currently brings to the table - the link up, the hold up, the work rate, the pressing etc.

Hughes35

He reminds me of Welbeck. Really really good player, can do absolutely everything apart from score goals.

Remember the geese

Strange player. Comes across as very rough around the edges. Raw and a bit of a donkey in truth. However, at the same time, I do think that he has something about him. He feels like a player who can go either way. Will be interesting to see what he becomes.

PaulScholes99

Very wishful thinking, there's nothing I've seen from his shooting technique that suggests he's going to start converting these chances on a regular basis. His only goal so far came from sliding in to convert a tap in.

Chelsea desperately need Nkunku back because they'll seriously struggle for goals without him.
He overperformed his xG by far last season, scored 12 from 8.7 xG. So this would suggest that he will not continue to need like 4 xG for 1 goal.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Or it is exactly what it suggests...that he overperformed his xG and it isn't sustainable.
Yes but he is now underperforming his xG, which is more sustainable than overperforming xG but there's good reason to believe he can improve on his scoring.

Care_de_Bobo

He overperformed his xG by far last season, scored 12 from 8.7 xG. So this would suggest that he will not continue to need like 4 xG for 1 goal.
I suggest you watch a video of every goal he scored last season(unsurprisingly, it won't take very long). Some of the simplest finishes a striker could ever hope for that don't show anything close to great shooting technique, just slow defenders and open goals.

There's also the added pressure of playing for a bigger club in a bigger league to consider and not all players are up to it.

Remember the geese

Yes but he is now underperforming his xG, which is more sustainable than overperforming xG but there's good reason to believe he can improve on his scoring.
It's all a big unknown. He was scoring at an unrealistic rate last season relative to his abilities, while perhaps now he is underperforming to an extent that won't last forever. The 'real' Jackson is probably somewhere in the middle. A fairly average finisher.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I suggest you watch a video of every goal he scored last season(unsurprisingly, it won't take very long). Some of the simplest finishes a striker could ever hope for that don't show anything close to great shooting technique, just slow defenders and open goals.

There's also the added pressure of playing for a bigger club in a bigger league to consider and not all players are up to it.
That's not what's happening with Jackson though. Players who were used to playing at big clubs like Morata and Torres were broken men at Chelsea, their heads went down once they started missing. Jackson at the moment still has that spring in his step and is a trier by the looks of it. But a lot will depend on his mentality of course if he keeps missing chances like those at the weekend. Even the greatest players miss easy chances (Ronaldo vs Sheffield Utd), but it'd about it not letting it effect you. Still early days but Jackson and Chelsea as a whole need to start scoring soon.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Was actually surprised with this Chelsea move on the market. I already knew he wasn't going to be a prolific goalscorer, it's not his profile.
At Villarreal he benefited by playing with Gerard Moreno who is very skilled and versatile, and opens a lot of space with his clever movements and dribbling.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's all a big unknown. He was scoring at an unrealistic rate last season relative to his abilities, while perhaps now he is underperforming to an extent that won't last forever. The 'real' Jackson is probably somewhere in the middle. A fairly average finisher.
Who knows. I hope for the best but given everything else he brings to the table, a fairly average finisher might be good enough for now.

Care_de_Bobo

To be fair that was Drogba for a long time as well!
But Drogba was dynamite for Marseille before he moved to Chelsea and was just so much better in terms of technique and ability. It's just such a lazy comparison.

A bit off topic, but has there ever been a worse club than Chelsea in terms of failed striker signings? Shevchenko, Torres, Falcao, Morata, Lukaku(twice!), Aubamayang, Eto'o, Casiraghi, Mutu, Kezman, Pizarro, Werner, Remy, Higuain, Batshuayi and Sutton is a seriously impressive waste of money and talent.

Supports
Chelsea
He reminds me of Welbeck. Really really good player, can do absolutely everything apart from score goals.
This is a fair comparison. One thing I'm surprised about is how combative he is, and how often it turns into petulance. He's already been booked 3 times in 4 matches, two of them for dissent and one fighting with a West Ham player needlessly.

He was praised more in pre season for his all around game rather than his goalscoring. And that has largely been the same as we saw so far. But I do agree in general with what you're saying.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
But Drogba was dynamite for Marseille before he moved to Chelsea and was just so much better in terms of technique and ability. It's just such a lazy comparison.

A bit off topic, but has there ever been a worse club than Chelsea in terms of failed striker signings? Shevchenko, Torres, Falcao, Morata, Lukaku(twice!), Aubamayang, Eto'o, Casiraghi, Mutu, Kezman, Pizarro, Werner, Remy, Higuain, Batshuayi and Sutton is a seriously impressive waste of money and talent.
You’ve included 3 loan players, and a player who was banned for doing coke 1 year after we signed him. You’ve also included a couple of backup strikers who did the job they were signed to do. You can make your point without embellishing the facts.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Everything he was praised for in preseason he’s shown in the actual league games.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Billion quid and this is the best striker they could find?
What realistic striker were we suppose to be signing exactly?.
The striker market is not exactly filled with great options.

Care_de_Bobo

You’ve included 3 loan players, and a player who was banned for doing coke 1 year after we signed him. You’ve also included a couple of backup strikers who did the job they were signed to do. You can make your point without embellishing the facts.
Why would I ignore players on loan or squad players? I could have included players like Felix if I was being harsh, it's not like he was playing for free.

I'm not sure why you're trying to defend Chelsea's record with strikers anyway. It would be like me trying to defend United's midfield since Carrick.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Getting a good striker is a problem of almost every team in the world since like ever, tbh. That's why they are the most expensive player on the market if you look at the average transfer value.

Care_de_Bobo

What realistic striker were we suppose to be signing exactly?.
The striker market is not exactly filled with great options.
Osimhen surely could have been tempted for the right price. Could have probably signed him for the money you spent on Palmer, Lavia and the two Brazilian kids. I'm not saying that any of the striking options on the market represented good value this summer, but neither did a lot of Chelsea's signings in other positions, yet they still made them happen.

Spreading all this money out on hopeful punts is pretty risky business when you're clearly in desperate need of a goalscorer.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Eto'o and Remy weren't failed strikers for us, I'd say even Higuain served a purpose.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Why would I ignore players on loan or squad players? I could have included players like Felix if I was being harsh, it's not like he was playing for free.

I'm not sure why you're trying to defend Chelsea's record with strikers anyway. It would be like me trying to defend United's midfield since Carrick.
Because by definition when you’re getting Higuain and Falcao on loan you know something isn’t quite right with them. These are players Chelsea took a punt on as squad fillers for a season. Some started more than I’d have a liked, some did a decent job. But to include them in a list of flops or failed strikers when that list is long enough as it is just embellishing the facts for the sake of it. That also applies to squad players that actually did a good job as squad players. Remy wasn’t a flop. He was signed as Costa’s back up and he was fine.

Last edited: