Nick Powell Watch

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Only two sub appearances, both in losses, one against Brom, the other Sot'on, he had a shot in both matches, but nothing of note, their manager has told him to be patient for games...

Flying_Heckfish

They are in a rut at the moment. That he isn't getting a chance at this stage is worrying really - Pearson would be hoping for anyone to come into the team and make an impression

edit - just seen he may be out of a job soon. If so perhaps Nick will get a chance

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Who loaned him?

Edit: Probably Leicester since Pearson is mentioned.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Thanks!

I wouldn't be surprised if he lacks match fitness.
That combined with a team that are going to be struggling this year, it's always going to be hard for a young player (especially attack minded) to get minutes, no matter how good they are... lets hope if he does get the odd minute or two he can make the most of it, or should VG see fit, recall him..

Flying_Heckfish

That combined with a team that are going to be struggling this year, it's always going to be hard for a young player (especially attack minded) to get minutes, no matter how good they are... lets hope if he does get the odd minute or two he can make the most of it, or should VG see fit, recall him..
In the two outings, was he played in midfield or up front does anyone know?

Surely he'd be worth chucking on in hopes of a goal with 10 minutes left at the very least, he got a few when he played there last year didn't he?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
In the two outings, was he played in midfield or up front does anyone know?

Surely he'd be worth chucking on in hopes of a goal with 10 minutes left at the very least, he got a few when he played there last year didn't he?
It's hard to tell when the appearances they had, they were under the kosh, they could hardly keep shape and he was useful in defense while transitioning, but he was deployed a striker I think, but the deeper of two..

Patchbeard

Not on the bench again.

Pearson is strange.
Yep he is an oddball. To be honest, I'm more bemused Knockaert doesn't get more game time as he's actually their player, and much more talented than Schlupp, Nugent or Vardy.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Nigel Pearson was asked about it and said it was news to him. I also remember reading an article a few days before this loan cancellation stuff coming out of Nigel Pearson saying Powell was going to play a part in the upcoming weeks.

Sid234

Powell needs to find a position that suits him.. he was playing as a 2nd striker for Crewe i believe, more often than not as the lone striker at Wigan, we used him as a CM.. Needs to settle into a position and train there.. currently he's one those players whose between being a midfielder and a forward, can do a job in 3 positions(CM, AMC, ST) but excels in none of them!

Sid234

Looks like he's on his way back to United because of a poor atitude by the sounds of it

Man Utd starlet Nick Powell sent back to Old Trafford early after failing on loan at Leicester

Exclusive: Midfielder's attitude in training and poor time-keeping exasperated Leicester coaching staff

Nick Powell is heading back to Manchester United after Nigel Pearson opted to rip up his loan deal at Leicester City.

Pearson has decided to end Powell’s season’s loan prematurely after the United midfielder’s failure to impress left Leicester’s coaching staff exasperated.

Telegraph Sport understands Powell has infuriated Pearson and his backroom team with his attitude in training and general timekeeping since joining on loan in September.

United have the option to recall the £4million midfielder in January and are poised to bring him back and then loan him out again, with the 20-year-old already emerging as a target for Bolton Wanderers manager Neil Lennon.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11314422/.html

Woodenlung

He had similar problems at Wigan iirc. Drink was involved then too.

Think it may be time to get rid altogether.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Would be shame if he, and possibly also Zaha, threw it all away because they lack the motivation and desire. I don't think both quite realise just enormous the opportunity is.

I was always a bit apprehensive as to whether or not Powell would make it here, but I felt certain Zaha would. At the minute, I don't think either will.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Very disappointing. Had high hopes for him. He looked absolutely class at Crewe and he hardly looked as if he was trying half the time. Hype clearly went to his head and took his foot off the pedal. Really hate it when that happens with footballers. Have no idea how lucky they are.

Really hope he gets his act together very, very soon or he'll face the inevitable.

Gannicus

Very disappointing. Had high hopes for him. He looked absolutely class at Crewe and he hardly looked as if he was trying half the time. Hype clearly went to his head and took his foot off the pedal. Really hate it when that happens with footballers. Have no idea how lucky they are.

Really hope he gets his act together very, very soon or he'll face the inevitable.
My sentiments as well. When we picked him up he looked poised for greatness. But it seems now he's destined for mediocrity.

Hopefully someone can get through to him.

Sid234

I hope we keep at United for the remainder of the season, maybe some time under LvG is what he needs to get his act together..

Ekeke

Maybe if he actually played some first team games as a midfielder... Like, anywhere since Crewe, he'd develop into a decent midfielder for us.

Crazy right? Loaning him out to play up front clearly helps him taking the ball off the defenders and passing it about all game.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Maybe if he actually played some first team games as a midfielder... Like, anywhere since Crewe, he'd develop into a decent midfielder for us.

Crazy right? Loaning him out to play up front clearly helps him taking the ball off the defenders and passing it about all game.
Never fancied him in midfield personally but I agree the loan moves haven't been great. Which isn't exactly unusual for us.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
I don't think not playing him in midfield is the problem here.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That's the trouble of hyping players at that age. They start thinking that they have already made it.

LR7

He's always seemed ridiculously casual and laid back. Sometimes that can be a good thing, so the enormity of being at a club like United might not affect him, but in Powell's case, it seems to be too far the other way, he doesn't seem to be bothered by anything. Not getting himself a good reputation here, or the club for that matter - United loanees (and ex United youth players) usually tend to conduct themselves well, train well and are normally spoken about in glowing terms. Looks like our plan is just to loan him out until his contract runs out because there is no suggestion in the article that we want to get him back here and work on his attitude. After watching him on loan all last season I doubted he'd do well here because he's a second striker not a CM and we have better options there than him, but he's still very talented, with a clear eye for goal, and it's a shame that he's just going to let that talent go to waste.

Ekeke

Other than his shot I'm not sure he's that talented. Its all in his ability to strike the ball

saivet

I found this quite odd. Maybe a few players were signed in this manner?

I remember last year when Sir Alex Ferguson rang up about Nick Powell. United had only watched him once but he explained that they would take the interest further at the end of the season. Sir Alex then came and watched Nick live.

He rang me up the next day and said: ‘Do you want to do a deal?’ And I said: ‘I thought you were going to watch him for a bit first?’ Sir Alex said: ‘There’s no point. I came to watch him and he’s a good size, he’s a good shape, he runs well, he’s skilful, he’s two-footed, he’s bright and he can score goals.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...eed-introduce-quota-series.html#ixzz3NBOArosP
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

itso 7

I found this quite odd. Maybe a few players were signed in this manner?
Tbf Fergie would have access to countless reports from scouts with much more details and what he saw, as described in that article, was enough for him to sanction a four million pound deal for a rough diamond which hoped would pay dividends after a bit of polishing.

NoPace

Never fancied him in midfield personally but I agree the loan moves haven't been great. Which isn't exactly unusual for us.
Normally I would agree, but Pearson often plays 2 up front and only Ulloa and Vardy seem to be even passable Prem players, so Powell should really have gotten a bunch of Prem time as a 10 and sub off the bench, and Mahrez and Schlupp are both dangerous. Not a bad situation for a goalscoring 10 or striker, whatever he is.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I hope we keep at United for the remainder of the season, maybe some time under LvG is what he needs to get his act together..
Agree. Sounds like this one won't work out if it is his attitude to blame, so I'd think maybe keeping him at the club under the watch of our coaches might be the best thing. If he still doesn't get his act together then I'd show him the door - not worth the effort if he can't put in the effort himself.