Nick Powell Watch

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
He was never considered as the Carrick replacement. I might be wrong but he was expected to be a player similar to Lampard.
He was expected to be a central midfielder in Carrick's mould by most on here who hadn't seen him play but who had heard that we were planning on making him a central midfield player.

Rednotdead

He was expected to be a central midfielder in Carrick's mould by most on here who hadn't seen him play but who had heard that we were planning on making him a central midfield player.
That probably means Van Gaal will play him at left back.

Trizy

Pity we're not in the Capital One Cup anymore, would love to see what he could do at CAM.

JoaquinJoaquin

Just shows how light our squad actually is. We have gotten rid of far too many players and this right here is a prime example.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Well... nineteen's better than eighteen, I guess.

Robbie Boy

For the whole I am to, But Summer was a time we should of probably added 2-3 more considering the amount of people that went.
I 100% agree, we definitely should have made more additions as I don't feel the young players that LvG has brought through are up to the task yet. In fact, I have doubts that the likes of Lingard and McNair will ever be good enough.

As for Powell, he was pretty much written off on here a long time ago. I'm surprised that he's worked his way back into contention but I guess it's indicative how light our squad currently is.

kundalini

Not convinced it means much. LVG seems to be varying which of the kids gets to sit on the bench watching the game. Varela got 45 mins and CBJ 15 mins when Rojo needed a rest but Rashford and Tuanzebe have yet to get on the pitch. Don't think Goss has either but my memory is failing me. He got a few mins on tour.

Gerald G

It's nice but Joyce said last week that he's nowhere near fully fit and that's no surprise as he has been out for so long.

Sid234

I think its better we give youngsters a chance.. Never know who steps up and rises to occasion.

It's a gamble we should be taking

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
I think LVG simply takes the players who impress him most during training sessions. I like powell, i think he has something about his game that we can use, may be he wont be a waste as was feared earlier.

jb8521

I'd say its a case of rewarding him for how hard he's worked over the past 10 months to recover from a horrible injury as well as giving him a bit more incentive to keep working hard. The u19s also have a must win game against Wolfsburg which Rashford and Tuanzebe will be involved in.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He's got a bit of goal scoring tendency in him, so won't be a bad punt to throw him in for the last 20 mins if we are chasing the game, which we hopefully don't have to.

Sid234

He certainly looks in shape, and if going by what the coaches are saying in the press he's finally working hard in training as well. Guess the injury was a wake up call for him?

Dante

Average bang
Shots from outside the box are something we've definitely been missing. The lack of them is one of the reasons that teams are so content to hold a deep line against us. If Powell can pose a threat from 30 yards out, it'll help free up space for the strikers/wingers.

Powell doesn't even necessarily need score with his shots. He only needs to create a bit of disorganisation amongst defenders or force a parry from the 'keeper.

JmRssll555

Shots from outside the box are something we've definitely been missing. The lack of them is one of the reasons that teams are so content to hold a deep line against us. If Powell can pose a threat from 30 yards out, it'll help free up space for the strikers/wingers.

Powell doesn't even necessarily need score with his shots. He only needs to create a bit of disorganisation amongst defenders or force a parry from the 'keeper.
I remember the excitement inside Old Trafford after he battered in a Scholes-esque strike on his debut against Wigan. Everyone was talking about him. Great goal.

Bojan11

Sums us up when we bring him on in a important game to score a goal for us.

FromTheBench

He is returning from a 8 month layoff and just played 2 games.

feck knows why he was brought on for Mata who looked our most dangerous creative threat if anything.

Sid234

Don't know why everyone's being so hard on Powell? We have injuries, and Van Gaal's doing what he should be doing as the manager of Manchester United, putting his trust in the younger players.

Varela and CBJ stepped up, Powell had the bad luck of being taken off for Mata and just before Smalling went down injured, tossing our team balance out the window. Also, Mata looked knackered by the time he came off, Wolfsburg were keeping him pretty quiet in the 2nd half.

This is like the time when Fergie played Rafael and Park(I think it was him) in CM due to injuries and everybody moaned about why he didn't give the younger players a chance.

Now, we have injuries again and everybody moans about why he gave a reserve player a chance?!

I know Powell hasn't exactly lit up the world, but seeing how Van Gaal's managed over the past year, everyone knows doesn't go around handing out game time to players he doesn't think are good enough.

Powell must have been doing well in training, and caught his eye. Just like the other younger players have.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
We needed a goal and Powell is big and strong and knows how to grab a goal. Our shape did get screwed up when Smalling got injured which didn't help. He was still involved in a few of those ricochets and blocked shots near the end of the game.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Don't know why everyone's being so hard on Powell? We have injuries, and Van Gaal's doing what he should be doing as the manager of Manchester United, putting his trust in the younger players.

Varela and CBJ stepped up, Powell had the bad luck of being taken off for Mata and just before Smalling went down injured, tossing our team balance out the window. Also, Mata looked knackered by the time he came off, Wolfsburg were keeping him pretty quiet in the 2nd half.

This is like the time when Fergie played Rafael and Park(I think it was him) in CM due to injuries and everybody moaned about why he didn't give the younger players a chance.

Now, we have injuries again and everybody moans about why he gave a reserve player a chance?!

I know Powell hasn't exactly lit up the world, but seeing how Van Gaal's managed over the past year, everyone knows doesn't go around handing out game time to players he doesn't think are good enough.

Powell must have been doing well in training, and caught his eye. Just like the other younger players have.
Correct

Spock

Mata shouldn't have been subbed off, but that's a different issue altogether. Powell may just have some game in him in him and I hope he gets a few more chances. But before Powell gets his chances, Pereira needs to get his chances first.

Sid234

He should be on the bench for the next few weeks. Atleast till Rooney and Herrera get back, might get another chance off the bench. Hopefully in better circumstances than on tuesday night