g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Nick Powell Watch

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Could feature against Yeovil?

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Not looking good for him. There's talent in there somewhere though.

Sid234

Would love to see him on the bench vs Yeovil but very unlikely as he is yet to learn the 'philosophy' of LvG!

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Recalled by United, not sent back by Leicester. Quite a difference between the two.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Recalled by United, not sent back by Leicester. Quite a difference between the two.
you think Leicester were desperate to hold on to him? Seems quite unlikely given how things have gone for him there.

JoaquinJoaquin

He doesn't have the mentality to be a top player. Talented but for me sums up the modern day teenager, Wants the glory for minimal effort.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Why's that Geebs?
as a youngster he had that skill come very easily to him, almost LeTissier like, but because of his build Fergie was touting him as a midfielder. Could never see that myself. He's got all the skills, good with either foot, good in the air, good passer, makes it look easy at times. Only thing is hes not blinding quick.
He's at the stage now though where he needs to impress, thats why id chuck him in against Yeovil, sink or swim. Prove yourself or get shifted out in the summer. he needs to knuckle down now and show what he can do.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
as a youngster he had that skill come very easily to him, almost LeTissier like, but because of his build Fergie was touting him as a midfielder. Could never see that myself. He's got all the skills, good with either foot, good in the air, good passer, makes it look easy at times. Only thing is hes not blinding quick.
He's at the stage now though where he needs to impress, thats why id chuck him in against Yeovil, sink or swim. Prove yourself or get shifted out in the summer. he needs to knuckle down now and show what he can do.
Ah I see, I agree with that, just thought you were saying you'd rather pick him than Wilson in general...which I wouldn't agree with :)

JoaquinJoaquin

sorry but how do any of us judge mentality?
It's not a secret that he is too laid back and that has \ is preventing his progress. Every coach he has worked with has said that he is.
And let's be honest, There is a reason he has barely made an appearance for Leicester City

Last edited:

Werewolf

sorry but how do any of us judge mentality?
This.

It's not a known secret that he is too laid back and that has \ is preventing his progress. Every coach he has worked with has said that he is.
And let's be honest, There is a reason he has barely made an appearance for Leicester City
Do you have any coach's quotes pertaining to his attitude?
SAF in his bio said that "he is quite a detached figure - good at switching off". I don't see how you can relate this to your statement on "glory for minimal efforts".

JoaquinJoaquin

This.

Do you have any coach's quotes pertaining to his attitude?
SAF in his bio said that "he is quite a detached figure - good at switching off". I don't see how you can relate this to your statement on "glory for minimal efforts".
Knew i'd be asked for direct quotes :D, I'm at work so can't really go rooting but to scratch the surface a quick search of Google state something along the lines right away:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ell-loan-deal-after-exasperating-coaches.html

And there is a quote from Fergie's book:
''[Manchester United chief scout] Jim Lawlor went to look at [Powell] and said he was interesting, though he was not sure what his best position would be and thought he might be a wee bit laid-back.''

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Knew i'd be asked for direct quotes :D, I'm at work so can't really go rooting but to scratch the surface a quick search of Google state something along the lines right away:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ell-loan-deal-after-exasperating-coaches.html

''[Manchester United chief scout] Jim Lawlor went to look at [Powell] and said he was interesting, though he was not sure what his best position would be and thought he might be a wee bit laid-back.''
how does a wee bit laid back equate to having a bad attitude?

Werewolf

The article does not provide direct quotes from coachs, only what the Telegraph "understands". And Jim Lawlor never coached him although you could certainly interpret Feguson's quotes that way. Yet, I don't see anything wrong with the quotes. Next to this, you've got Owen Coyle and Uwe Rosler, people who actually coached him, saying that he is a fantastic talent. There could be many reasons why his Leicester loan has failed. All I am saying really is let's not rush to conclusions.

kundalini

Neither has Tom Lawrence who they bought, nor Jack Barmby who impressed against our U21s this season; looks to me as though Pearson simply doesn't want to throw kids in, despite the relative lack of success so far. Worth noting that Michael Keane was on the bench for Burnley until injuries forced a change.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
It's not a secret that he is too laid back and that has \ is preventing his progress. Every coach he has worked with has said that he is.
If only we had done a bit more research than watching him play once before signing him. I thought mentality was an essential part of the talent evaluation process.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
If only we had done a bit more research than watching him play once before signing him. I thought mentality was an essential part of the talent evaluation process.
I'd be amazed if no research was done into that before forking out £5m or whatever it was.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Not sure if serious? Of course we'd have done our homework & for SAF, mentality and family life/values, iirc, were always important aspects.

But yeah agreed. If he was known to be a poor trainer, then it is a bit surprising that we still proceeded with the deal. But yeah, there's probably way too many variables to consider in ANY transfer, which gives it that bit of a gambling element.

Edit: off point, but was it Bebe who SAF once admitted to never having seen him play but we still signed him?

NickSantigo

Yes, I believe Carlos Queiroz alerted SAF to Bebe saying that he was the next big thing. There was a lot of interest from other European Clubs (e.g. Real Madrid) iirc. This resulted in us signing him without SAF having seen him play.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Good performance - thought he bossed that second half. That performance certainly would have done him favours. Reminds me such much of Lampard.

Hope he builds on this and gets another crack from the bench for the first team. Ambitious, but I have faith in his ability.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Where is he now? I know he's been out injured but is he even going on tour with us?

Why isn't he the new Paul Scholes yet??

FromTheBench

He always seems injured as well whenever he is with us for some reason.

Probably needs a move to get regular football and stay away from injuries. :p

Nozzy

I hadn't. I still dream of him have a momentous pre season, resulting in the sale of Fellaini - then I wake up, unlike young Nick who is sleeping his talent away.

Castia

Completely forgot about this guy, shame when he signed he came with a lot of potential it just hasn't worked out and he needs a move.

LilRicky

Completely forgot about this guy, shame when he signed he came with a lot of potential it just hasn't worked out and he needs a move.

Same!

I remember when he signed they made him out to be Rooney mk2!

Been huge disappointment really, he should be stepping up into the main team at 21 now but instead it looks like he could be sold.