Nick Powell Watch

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He was in my Future United XI a few years ago.
Was obvious he had no chance at United when his position was being mucked about. No idea why he went to Wigan and got pushed into being a CF, that was a rubbish loan for the lad as he was never going to break through at United being a CF.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Doesn't sound great. Hopefully "disillusioned" isn't alluding to something more serious.
Disillusion alludes to the first word plucked out of his arse. Wtf kind of article is this? There is no substance to it all. He says he is going to quit United on no basis with nothing to back it up and doesn't even expand on it. Gives no update to Powell's current injury so obviously doesn't actually have a clue about what Powell is doing or thinking. Just says he hasn't made many appearances in the last couple years, well no shit, everyone knows that. I could have knocked up a better article in under 5 minutes.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Was obvious he had no chance at United when his position was being mucked about. No idea why he went to Wigan and got pushed into being a CF, that was a rubbish loan for the lad as he was never going to break through at United being a CF.
He actually did well there in the first half of the season in which they played in Europe as well if I'm not wrong. After Christmas they changed their manager and it was all downhill afterwards.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I hope so - he's been gone and injured for too long to know what the future holds. Also apparently out of contract next summer.

Seveneric

He was in my Future United XI a few years ago.
He was in a lot of people's future XI along with loads of other players who are not here anymore. Which is why I laugh when people make future XIs now, and go "omg the United future is soo bright !!11!!!!1", when just a few years ago, people were saying the same with players that looked good then too.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He was an inexpensive punt. Didn't come off, be that for lack of talent, effort or whatever... Happens.

khoazany

Disillusion alludes to the first word plucked out of his arse. Wtf kind of article is this? There is no substance to it all. He says he is going to quit United on no basis with nothing to back it up and doesn't even expand on it. Gives no update to Powell's current injury so obviously doesn't actually have a clue about what Powell is doing or thinking. Just says he hasn't made many appearances in the last couple years, well no shit, everyone knows that. I could have knocked up a better article in under 5 minutes.
This.Such a terribly lazy and uninformed article.

NessunDorma

Admittedly didn't see a great deal of him as a youngster, but he was one of those players that I felt had the 'X Factor' which sets them apart. And that he had a really good chance of making it here.

Some of the goals he's scored in his career have been Le Tissieresque.

But at 21 going on 22, he's not an out and out kid anymore, and you'd think he'd be starting to break through this season if he's ever going to.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's a crappy article, that anyone could cobble together without any inside knowledge whatsoever.

That said, I'd say there's an element of truth in him lacking the desire to succeed as a top level professional footballer. I just can't forget that post-match interview he gave while out on loan (mind you, I have forgotten which club he was playing for! anyone?) where he was interviewed alongside a senior pro, who basically alleged that Powell was the laziest trainer at the club. Which is shocking for a player his age, trying to make an impression while out on loan.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
He was in a lot of people's future XI along with loads of other players who are not here anymore. Which is why I laugh when people make future XIs now, and go "omg the United future is soo bright !!11!!!!1", when just a few years ago, people were saying the same with players that looked good then too.
Its very true and shows how hard it is to predict the future of most young players

Hellboy

He also strikes me as a very very arrogant lad which is alarming as he hasn't achieved anything yet. (see his instagram account).

FromTheBench

Injuries have been his biggest problem, imo along with the hyped attitude problem. He has missed 3 tours now because of some operation or the other and now a hamstring problem has kept him out for a year. Before that too

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
From what I've seen of him, I always thought he had more chance of making it as a forward than a midfielder. His best attributes seem to be striking the ball. Very two footed and has a great shot on him from all ranges. A very good finisher. His passing range, vision and work rate seem to be very lacking. Even his short passing looks ropey at best. I think there'd be even less chance of him breaking through at United as CM or a #10.

He looked good up top for Wigan in the first half of the season.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
From what I've seen of him, I always thought he had more chance of making it as a forward than a midfielder. His best attributes seem to be striking the ball. Very two footed and has a great shot on him from all ranges. A very good finisher. His passing range, vision and work rate seem to be very lacking. Even his short passing looks ropey at best. I think there'd be even less chance of him breaking through at United as CM or a #10.

He looked good up top for Wigan in the first half of the season.
It's probably better for his development as a footballer long term but by becoming a CF he surrendered any chance of being involved in the United squad imo. He's simply not good enough as a CF to be used at United, but at the time of his conversion we did have a piss weak midfield (obviously fixed by LVG now so the point is redundant).

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Always looked like a headless chicken to me.
In his first season at the club, he played central midfield two or three times in the domestic and European cups, and I just couldn't see what he had to really build a great game on. He overran the ball, had loose touches, under/over-hit lots of passes.

Nice shot on him, and the occasional clever touch to set himself up. That's about it.
Didn't think Zaha had the ability to make it, and Powell isn't really close to Zaha's level.

He's perhaps that level of player who bounces from newly promoted PL side to newly promoted PL side. And that's probably being kind.

Maybe Sir Alex regretted not doing more to sign Ramsey, so he bought Powell and tried to make him a midfielder.

Last edited:

coolredwine

lameredboots
This.Such a terribly lazy and uninformed article.
It's the Mirror. They have no clue whatsoever half the time.

Jev

Regardless of whether you believe The Mirror or not, surely no-one still thinks the guy has a future at Old Trafford?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It's probably better for his development as a footballer long term but by becoming a CF he surrendered any chance of being involved in the United squad imo. He's simply not good enough as a CF to be used at United, but at the time of his conversion we did have a piss weak midfield (obviously fixed by LVG now so the point is redundant).
I agree with that. I don't think he's good enough to make it in midfield either, including the time when our midfield was garbage. He's good at scoring goals, but he's not done it at a high level yet. I don't think he ever will.

Then again, I guess we won't know if he chose to play upfront or if Wigan put him there as they saw it as the only way to get anything out of him. Given his limited abilities, I can't blame them for not putting him in the middle. Even in the Championship, they probably had better CM options.

izec

I like him and thought he had a future here, but i would be amazed if he would still be a United player next season.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
If someone could be arsed to trawl through old threads there would be some really funny future XI lineups with Macheda, Josh King, Chris Eagles etc in them. It's still fun to think about even it's completely unrealistic.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
NICK POWELL LOOKING BETTER THAN EVER
Nick Powell is on the comeback trail and looking in better shape than ever, in the opinion of Manchester United Under-21s coach Warren Joyce.

The 21-year-old has been sidelined with a serious hamstring problem sustained in the U21s' clash against Everton in February but could return for the next fixture, against Norwich City at Carrow Road on 23 November.

Things are looking positive for Powell, who can operate in midfield or attack, as he looks to get his career back on track.

"Nick's worked extremely hard," Joyce told ManUtd.com. "It's been a testing time, as you expect when you're injured and obviously out for this amount of time with an injury. But his attitude has been outstanding in the gym and out on the training field.

"I think, to be fair, he is looking in the best condition he has ever been in his life. Hopefully, he kicks on with that now when the games start coming. There is no doubt how much talent he has got. Some of the stuff you see from him is outstanding. He's a high top-level talent so hopefully he can get a run of matches.

"When he came back here from his loan spells away, I thought he was flying before he got injured. People forget how young he is. He is still a young player with a very bright career in front of him. Like everything, he needs a little bit of luck and has got to be in the right place at the right time to grab an opportunity and make the most of it.

"He's certainly put in the hours in the gym and on the training pitch and, like I've said, is probably in the best condition physically he has ever been in his life. There are a lot of good people in the medical department and the sports science lads are really conscientious and very good at their jobs. It's not easy to be out for such a long while but he has got to keep going like he has been doing. You have ups and downs but that's normal. Everybody wants to play but the staff are so good at their jobs they keep the players going, keep them motivated, keep them at it and keep them running. So far, so good and I hope he gets over the final hurdle now."

Powell will be out to display his range of talents and enjoy a run of matches, possibly during another loan move away from United.

"He's training with us now and I would have thought he'll play at Norwich if everything goes to plan because he's back in contention," said Joyce. "He can handle one versus one situations, he's got a trick or two and a good range of passing, long and short. He's got goals in him and has a good shot, he can do short finishes and is useful with his head. He's a pretty complete footballer.

"Maybe he just needs to apply all the things he's got so he has a major influence on a game. That has got to be the demand on him but, like I say, he's in a good place at the minute. He looks lean, fit and strong. The hours he's put in at the gym with the physios and sports-science lads has really helped him.

"We're hoping he will be able to push himself forward - either in the first team or out in the league again. He's had that already and is really too good for Reserves football. He has proved he can play in the Championship but, if he's got ambition, which I'm sure he has, then he'd want to prove to himself he can play in the Premier League.

"That has got to be his aim. He's gone step-by-step to get to this stage now and that had to be the carrot dangled in front of him, the prospect of top-flight football in the future, so I am sure all those hours in the gym will be worthwhile."

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...oyce-on-nick-powell-comeback-from-injury.aspx

FromTheBench

Good to hear that.

Hope he can make a real comeback with desire now. I agree with Joyce that he's a high level talent.

Crashoutcassius

Wow positive stuff. I don't think talent was ever in doubt but maybe application, ability to affect the game, and where he tactical role actually is was. Hopefully he can sort those things out in the coming years and good luck to him

izec

I always thought he was a good talent. If he realised that it could be his final chance to impress for the rest of the season, good. I hope he can make the most of it.

DocRockter

LVG has developed some amazing AMF players in the past, really looking forward to see what he can do with Powell.. If Powell is ready to sacrifice enough to make it.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
If he's really training well he'll get his chance. The current situation of the team is a golden opportunity for Lingard, Perieira and Powell. Poor little Januzaj :(

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I might be in the minority but I think Josh Harrop is better than him as a midfielder.
I might be in minority, but I dont think Powell is a midfielder.

Immensly talented. Absolutly love the way he use his body on the ball. Always feared his lazy attitude would cost him. Good to hear that he is maturing.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I might be in the minority but I think Josh Harrop is better than him as a midfielder.
I'll echo @andersj here, not a midfielder. I hate using the "9.5" tag on a player but he really is that. If we get the Carrick replacement nonsense out of him here and now he could be a very good forward.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
I'll echo @andersj here, not a midfielder. I hate using the "9.5" tag on a player but he really is that. If we get the Carrick replacement nonsense out of him here and now he could be a very good forward.
He was never considered as the Carrick replacement. I might be wrong but he was expected to be a player similar to Lampard.