Nick Powell

Status
Not open for further replies.

lysglimt

Scout
Better than Nick Powell!

Based purely on the fact that the younger brothers are generally hyped up as the better version despite it never materializing
Oh yes - Lionel was never gonna live up to the expectations of his older brothers Matias and Rodrigo

Not to mention Cristiano who struggled to match his older brother Hugo :)

prateik

Getting the feeling he will be more involved in his first season than I had previously thought.
Something to look forward to.

Unam333

Getting the feeling he will be more involved in his first season than I had previously thought.
Something to look forward to.
Maybe gets involved in the Carling Cup (what's it called now? COC right?) and maybe in the FA Cup. If he can do that in his first season, then he can be proud.
I don't expect an ex-Championship player to be involved in any Premier League games.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
Oh yes - Lionel was never gonna live up to the expectations of his older brothers Matias and Rodrigo

Not to mention Cristiano who struggled to match his older brother Hugo :)
I was taking about young players being hyped up over their also incredibly hyped up older brothers

Cases in point

Anton Hyped up to be the second coming of Rio
John Rooney being better than Wayne
Jonathan Dos Santos better than Gio (who knows)
Rafinha better than Thiago (who knows)

Who knows with some of those but generally the predictions are rubbish

The Wizard

I was taking about young players being hyped up over their also incredibly hyped up older brothers

Cases in point

Anton Hyped up to be the second coming of Rio
Jonathan Dos Santos better than Gio (who knows)
Rafinha better than Thiago (who knows)

Who knows with some of those but generally the predictions are rubbish
Will Keane hyped to be better than Michael
Fabio hyped to be much better than Rafael

In the case of the Keane's Michael is catching up rapidly (before Will's injury), and Raf has been so far well ahead of Fab.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
JDS looks like he might be the exception in that list.

Levo

Band of Brothers
Was tempted to add Rafinha but it's well to early to decide on that just yet.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Phil Neville better than Gary Neville, the list goes on. The first born is generally the high achiever so no doubt that plays a part in the dynamic along with media hype creating the myth in the first place.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

Cases in point

Did that EVER happen. Wayne Rooney has to be one of the most hyped youngsters in the English League.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
Did that EVER happen. Wayne Rooney has to be one of the most hyped youngsters in the English League.
I read an article when we signed Rooney saying we were after John as well who they claimed had the potential to be better than Wayne.

Devil may care

Not really snobbish, not many can make a direct step up from the low level to the highest, especially given he's also a kid with very little experience.

Ekeke

Eh. He's replacing Darron Gibson, the bar of expectation isnt set that high

There's really no doubt he'll be involved in at least 1 premier league game.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Maybe gets involved in the Carling Cup (what's it called now? COC right?) and maybe in the FA Cup. If he can do that in his first season, then he can be proud.
I don't expect an ex-Championship player to be involved in any Premier League games.
He was a league two player, but that's not the point. He was far to good for that division, even at his age. The chap's 5 months younger then me.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him get 10 or 11 prem appearances this season.

kps88

He'll be given a chance to impress in league games. Even Bebe got league and CL games ffs.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Just because he played in a lower division doesn't mean he won't get any premier league games.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If he's good enough he will get games, doesnt matter where he came from
Exactly, all got to start somewhere right? look at Kagawa, played japanese football, then went to start for Dortmund just 1 year later.

JB7

Exactly, all got to start somewhere right? look at Kagawa, played japanese football, then went to start for Dortmund just 1 year later.
Very true, from Japanese second division football straight into Dortmund's first team.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Very true, from Japanese second division football straight into Dortmund's first team.
Cerezo Osaka were in the top division the season before he left as far as I know.

lysglimt

Scout
When I look at Nick Powells goal - I can't help thinking about Matt Le Tissier. Supergoals, excellent ballcontrol but not lightning quick - a bit arrogant!

And of course as Le Tissier probably is the player not involved with United I have liked the most in the P.L - this could be fun :)

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
When I look at Nick Powells goal - I can't help thinking about Matt Le Tissier. Supergoals, excellent ballcontrol but not lightning quick - a bit arrogant!

And of course as Le Tissier probably is the player not involved with United I have liked the most in the P.L - this could be fun :)
Le Tiss is on of Xavi's all time favourites too.

Hans Moleman

Sir Alex discussed Powell's best position with Gradi, having seen him operate mainly as a deep-lying forward for Crewe. "I asked Dario if Nick could be a central midfielder. Dario thinks that's his position and Nick does too so we're all in accord. We hope he'll be a central midfield player and that's where we'll develop."

Hans Moleman

Nick Powell: 'This is a whole different world. The players have been fantastic, very nice & welcoming.'

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Sir Alex discussed Powell's best position with Gradi, having seen him operate mainly as a deep-lying forward for Crewe. "I asked Dario if Nick could be a central midfielder. Dario thinks that's his position and Nick does too so we're all in accord. We hope he'll be a central midfield player and that's where we'll develop."
Wait, Fergie asked director of Crewe if Nick can play as a central midfielder and he said yes, and fergie will now develop him as a cm. :confused:

Hans Moleman

Not quite. Fergie, Dario and Powell all agree central midfield is his best position (he was playing behind a striker and also wide for Crewe), so they'll be looking to develop that side of his game the most (instead of, say, dribbling and crossing). That's how I read it, anyway.

Chabon

Boom! 'Crisis' over.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Wait, Fergie asked director of Crewe if Nick can play as a central midfielder and he said yes, and fergie will now develop him as a cm. :confused:
You have to remember that Powell played as a CM, Winger and CF for Crewe. We obviously saw the talent and signed him based on that, but it would be unclear what his best position is. The Crewe supporters I know have all said CM, and apparently he was only moved further up the pitch because he was scoring from midfield and the other strikers stopped scoring.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I heard of deep lying midfielder but a "deep lying forward" :confused:
Its pretty much an ACM by any other name, just with more license to move into the final 3rd but a little defensive responsibility.

Its pretty much what we were trying to do with Rooney a while ago during some matches where he would drop back into CM and form part of a 3 but still more to a more forward position when we had possesion.

In fact its also a position you can ask your striker to play in Football manager(although the purpose of that role is different to above).:p

Status
Not open for further replies.