Nick Powell

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Confused by the comparisons to AOC as well but you can see even from the highlight vids that he's a skilled player with a nose for goal

Jacob

I think he will be a regular first teamer sooner than people might think, especially given our current state of midfield.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he will be a regular first teamer sooner than people might think, especially given our current state of midfield.
Im not so sure, Anderson proved that you can have all the dribbling and flair in the world but midfield takes discipline, and thats something i dont think he has had to deal with yet.

Premier league midfielders will be fitter, stronger, faster, it wont be easy for him to just slot into the team.

He is 18, i dont really expect anything this first year, hopefully some cameos and a few cup games against the lower league opposition.

Unless he comes on absolute leaps and bounds i would be very suprised to see him start any major league games this year.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
@ Jacob: Have you seen him enough to know he is THAT good to be a first teamer so quickly ? I'd be very surprised by it, reserve football and CC for him for his first season.
Some crazy expectation placed on the kid already

Varun

Staff
Very unlikely. We're short on quality but high on numbers at CM. If we sign a player that we're all hoping for, the chances would go down drastically. He's a kid though so i dont even expect him to feature much. I think we should all not go overboard with expectations just because he's a new signing. He has 0 experience at this level.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Nicky Ajose did very well on loan to League 2 Bury, scored lots of goals. Where is he now?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Powell will have to make a huge step up to be even considered for the first team.

Heffo

Nicky Ajose did very well on loan to League 2 Bury, scored lots of goals. Where is he now?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Powell will have to make a huge step up to be even considered for the first team.
Ah come on now, Nicky Ajose isn't comparable. Yes he did well but then he was sold to Peterborough for a few hundred grand. Nick Powell did extremely well at a younger age and was monitored by some most of the big teams in England. If Ajose had anywhere near the talent that Powell had don't you think United would have held onto him for one more season or that there would have been interest from Premier League clubs?

Now I don't think Nicky Powell will be a big factor in the first team but players have made the step up through the leagues before. I don't see why he couldn't develop to a level where he could get on the bench for some first team games at some stage during the season.

The Neviller

You seriously can't figure out why some might not be happy about this signing?
Can I figure out why some people aren't happy that we've signed someone who lit up the league he played in last year, and who was wanted by almost every big team in this country?

No, I can't figure out why people are unhappy with this signing.

Liam147

On Probation
Cos the guy's an absolute nobhead. Said it before, and I know it's naive to hope that footballers aren't all nobheads, but I don't like him. I know his footballing ability comes first, it's just not the same. Like if we signed Balotelli, I'd be gutted. When teams sign Diouf, they're disappointed.

gza the genius

Can I figure out why some people aren't happy that we've signed someone who lit up the league he played in last year, and who was wanted by almost every big team in this country?

No, I can't figure out why people are unhappy with this signing.
He's clearly not the established center mid any one that thinks we should sign a center mid was hoping for.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about the signing, but he doesn't really solve any of our current midfield problems that someone like Modric/Moutinho etc would.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
He's clearly not the established center mid any one that thinks we should sign a center mid was hoping for.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about the signing, but he doesn't really solve any of our current midfield problems that someone like Modric/Moutinho etc would.
Or maybe he will, or maybe even yet he'll bring somethtng different than what your expecting and it's all part of Fergusons plan.

gza the genius

Or maybe he will, or maybe even yet he'll bring somethtng different than what your expecting and it's all part of Fergusons plan.
I'll be very surprised if he can have an immediate impact on the team on a similar level to what I think Modric/Moutinho could offer. He may develop in to that type of player and be on a similar level but I think it's a safe assumption that that won't happen for a few years at least.

The Neviller

Or maybe, you know, there is quite some time left in the transfer window and we don't know who else we'll sign yet.

I've no idea how much Powell will play, or how he'll settle and adapt to new surroundings and a higher level of football. You asked can I work out why some people aren't happy with the signing though, and no, I can't. He hasn't even kicked a ball for us yet.

The Neviller

Cos the guy's an absolute nobhead. Said it before, and I know it's naive to hope that footballers aren't all nobheads, but I don't like him. I know his footballing ability comes first, it's just not the same. Like if we signed Balotelli, I'd be gutted. When teams sign Diouf, they're disappointed.
What makes him a knobhead Liam? Have to admit, I don't know the guy. Seemingly you do though.

gza the genius

Or maybe, you know, there is quite some time left in the transfer window and we don't know who else we'll sign yet.

I've no idea how much Powell will play, or how he'll settle and adapt to new surroundings and a higher level of football. You asked can I work out why some people aren't happy with the signing though, and no, I can't. He hasn't even kicked a ball for us yet.
I think the only ones not happy were those that think this will mark the end of our buying for center mid this summer.

The Neviller

I think the only ones not happy were those that think this will mark the end of our buying for center mid this summer.
Well I'm in the camp who think we need cover for Carrick more than a flair type playmaking midfielder, personally, so I would also hope our business in midfield isnt finished, but I'd be less interested in the Modric, Moutinho type signings.

I'm happy to see how this lad goes though. I like us signing young British footballers.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You absolute weapon :wenger:

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Wait...what?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don't have any expectation on Powell next season, he is way too raw, and we have plenty of those youngster, such as Bebe etc

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I have to say he had on a really questionable sweater in the pictures with Gill from him signing his contract.

But as long as he doesn't go Stephen Ireland on his car I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

lysglimt

Scout
Nick Powell IS special - and there is no point denying it. We are talking about a played who was just 17 and 4-5 months when the 11/12 season started and he was completely dominant from christmas onwards.

If Ferguson is paying £4 million for an 18 year old who has never played outside league 2- we SHOULD have expectations.

I rank Powell up there with Ox, Bale, Walcott and Ramsay in terms of talent at that age. And I will be the first to admit I was so annoyed when Arsenal got Ramsay - a player I think would have been brilliant without that injury

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Eh? Why?

Liam147

On Probation
What makes him a knobhead Liam? Have to admit, I don't know the guy. Seemingly you do though.
I don't know him much better than most on here will, it's all really based on one game, which by all accounts, he acted like a complete nob. I made a post in this thread about it I think.

Basically, he'd been diving all over the shop, then dived to win a penalty, started giving it all to the fans, Crewe then missed the penalty and lost the game resultantly. After the game he started giving it to the fans again on twitter, something along the lines of "When you play football professionally we'll talk".

I don't really know his actual personality, more his 'on-pitch' persona, which might not even be a true reflection of him. But being a 17 year old in League thinking you own the place annoys me. The diving part is the main thing for me though. I don't like Ashley Young for it. It embarrasses me. When we're giving the scousers stick over Gerrard, and we have Young doing it even worse? As long as he doesn't turn out like Young is doing, I won't mind, but it infuriates me to see people in United shirts diving.
Wait...what?
I know, I know, it's irrational and doesn't really make much sense, perhaps there's even some jealousy there that someone my age is now playing for United. Plus, as I mentioned, the diving. But like I say, that's only based on one game, so like the rest of us, we'll wait and see how it all turns out, but having 10,000 fans in league 2 hate you when you're 17 is a fair task.

Dion

So when you said "he's an absolutely nobhead" you actually meant "based on the single game I saw I think he's a nobhead". Gotcha.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
he is a kid lads, he will mature with age as per usual, no better place to be than at united with the likes of scholes and giggs to guide him. Also Gary Neville would be knocking around alot id say.

if he has the talent to be a top player it will be nutured and developed at United.

All teenagers do Knobby things...as do adults. I wouldnt worry too much about it unless its a constant issue.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
What evidence do you have of his knobheadiness?

Furthermore, are you saying that Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney do not qualify as knobheads? Having an 8 year affair with your brothers wife amongst many others or sleeping with prostitutes behind your pregnant wife's back must be considered behaviour that would result in ill repute.

Liam147

On Probation
What evidence do you have of his knobheadiness?

Furthermore, are you saying that Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney do not qualify as knobheads? Having an 8 year affair with your brothers wife amongst many others or sleeping with prostitutes behind your pregnant wife's back must be considered behaviour that would result in ill repute.
I've already said I misspoke (or mistyped), as it's based on one game of him being an absolute nob. Rooney is also a nobhead, don't like him either. I can look past Giggs' faults and misdemeanours for everything he's done for United.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
I don't know him much better than most on here will, it's all really based on one game, which by all accounts, he acted like a complete nob. I made a post in this thread about it I think.

Basically, he'd been diving all over the shop, then dived to win a penalty, started giving it all to the fans, Crewe then missed the penalty and lost the game resultantly. After the game he started giving it to the fans again on twitter, something along the lines of "When you play football professionally we'll talk".
When Van Persie came to OT at about the same age, in the league cup, he spent so much time lying on his back waving his arms about that the ref had to tell him to start playing football instead or he'd send him off.

There's not many teams would turn away Van Persie nowadays, is there?

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I've already said I misspoke (or mistyped), as it's based on one game of him being an absolute nob. Rooney is also a nobhead, don't like him either. I can look past Giggs' faults and misdemeanours for everything he's done for United.
Fair play. I can't ever view Giggs in the same way again though.

Liam147

On Probation
When Van Persie came to OT at about the same age, in the league cup, he spent so much time lying on his back waving his arms about that the ref had to tell him to start playing football instead or he'd send him off.

There's not many teams would turn away Van Persie nowadays, is there?
Absolutely, and if he can prove himself to be as good, or even nearly, fair enough, but at 17 you've no right behaving how he did. But as people have said, if anyone can knock it out of him, it's Fergie.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
Fair play. I can't ever view Giggs in the same way again though.
I always base my views of Giggs on what he has done for the club. For that reason I have massive respect in what he has achieved and the professionalism he has shown. As far as his personal life goes, it isn't really upto any of us to judge him.

Status
Not open for further replies.