Nick Powell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutral

BTV
Never seen him play, never heard much about him till recently, watched his youtube video and am impressed with his goals.

All in all I know feck all about it, but I'll always welcome young talent so here's hoping he goes on to be a superstar!!
Until that pic with David Gill, I though he was black :lol::lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hope he's technically gifted.

But more importantly, how hideous is our kit for next season? Yuck.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He is still abit raw and can sometimes try something and give the ball away but when it comes off............... wow. As I said on an earlier post you will wonder how he did it.
Tracking back he is fantastic at, not a prima donna but has the utmost confidence in his ability. A tean player, might need to add a little more pace although he is pretty quick and may need to bulk up a bit but as I say he is only 18.
It happens at Crewe, our best players have to leave to keep us ticking over and we are proud of them when they go and he will be followed by our fans.

We have produced future internationals here, including David Platt and Mr. Savage who were released by some club or other at 18.
He will come with all the plusses instilled in him by out academy.
Just be patient
A Crewe fan in the newbie view.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Can someone who has watched this kid play a lot and has a good understanding of what he's capable off (e.g. not Scholesy) give a summary of what he's like as a player and what we can expect?

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
As I know nothing about the guy I don't really know what to think, skimming through this thread hasn't helped apart from the newbie qoute a few posts ago. However, the usually reliable United Supporter's Club Scandinavian Branch has published a little piece on him, here's the core of what they say:

Since 2010 he's played over 50 league games for Crewe, scoring 14 goals, and is an England youth regular, currently in the U18 team. He's the first player in the history of Crewe to win all five awards at their yearly post-season awards ceremony: Player of the year, young player of the year, goal of the year (they don't say what the two others were). According to the journalist who wrote the piece he's regarded as the biggest talent from Crewe ever.

He's supposed to be a midfielder but can also play in the "Rooney role" behind the striker where he's good at finding space. He's a duel player, not afraid of tackling or heading challenges (with variable success). His real strength is his control of the ball, great first touch and overview, he almost always plays the ball forward which can lead to a few errors. However, he's not a very good dribbler the journalist says, by Ronaldo standards, which I think is a little far out comparison. He radiates self confidence at the level he's been playing.

His main strength according to the author is his finishing and long shot, exemplified by his goal in the Playoff final, and usually lurks outside the area on corners. He's good with either foot.

The author said he saw the playoff final and noticed that Powell disappeared when Cheltenham pushed for goals towards the end of the match. On the other hand he says he saw enough to get him excited, and believes Powell will get some chances in the first team the coming season.
He doesn't sound too bad, I'd love it if he makes it for us, welcome to the club young Mr. Powell.

Vibhas

Good youth signing, but it will take him 2-3 years at least to even push for first team football with us. However, he's what, 18. Even if it takes him till 22-23, we can wait. There's a reason why he cost us 3 million, potentially rising to 6 million; he's nowhere near the finished product, and thus the potential 3 million extra we may pay reflects this.

Misplaced quite a few passes, not pressed very hard; but he's 18.
I don't watch much reserve football, anyways; i don't know if thats a good or bad performance for an 18 year old, however it's nowhere near EPL quality yet.
Really hope he shines for us; i can wait!

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
What position does he play? some sites suggest he's an attacking mid, while Sky Sports News say he's a striker.

Excuse my ignorance, I've been living under a rock for the past few days.

Decotron

What position does he play? some sites suggest he's an attacking mid, while Sky Sports News say he's a striker.

Excuse my ignorance, I've been living under a rock for the past few days.
My opinion on him should be taken with a pinch of salt as I seem have missed he's right footed!!! Other than that, from what Ive seen of him he doesnt look like a striker at all. Nor someone that will grow into that role either....

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
My opinion on him should be taken with a pinch of salt as I seem have missed he's right footed!!! Other than that, from what Ive seen of him he doesnt look like a striker at all. Nor someone that will grow into that role either....
Nice one. I'll just wait and see where Fergie decides to play him.

Ekeke

The best thing I've read so far is from the Crewe fan who suggests he tracks back well. Will be needed when he plays CM for us

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's a midfielder.

As i've said, he's exactly the same as Gerrard only better and different.
No pressure then :)

Seriously, though, I don't think we should expect much from him in the coming season. He's a signing that will most probably take a few years to make a proper impact.

Commadus

So by all accounts he's a younger english version of Gibson. Long shot, decent passing and good control.

Ringo 07

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...-excited-by-nick-powell-arrival.aspx?pageNo=2

Ritchie excited by Powell

Former United striker Andy Ritchie is expecting big things of new signing Nick Powell after witnessing his skills first hand.

Ritchie watched the 18-year-old attacker in action on a number of occasions at the Alexandra Stadium and says it wasn't just his ability with the ball at his feet that stood out, but his awareness on the pitch.

"Even before he receives the ball he knows what he's going to do with it - he's already got that in his mind," Ritchie told MUTV. "That's a big thing for a player who plays in his position. It's important to know what's going around you and even behind you, and he's got that awareness. It's not something you can teach, it's something that inbuilt in you.

"I think he's going to be a very good signing. I've watched him a few times in the flesh and I've been very impressed with what I've seen.

"He has good all-round ability - he's very astute, quite quick, he can play a pass and he knows where the goal is, but the biggest thing for me is his awareness of what's happening around him on the pitch."

Defining Powell's best position will be something, Ritchie feels, Sir Alex and his coaching staff will look at over the coming couple of seasons as they manage his development.

"I think he could play in two or three different positons. I see him as an attacking midfielder but he could certainly do a job up front," he said.

"I think he'd love to play in that little hole just behind the striker where Wayne [Rooney] plays

but I don't think he'll be dislodging Rooney just yet!

"You could play him in one of the wide positions as well because he likes to take players on. It'll be down to Sir Alex and his staff to work out what's best for him and the team.

"It's obviously going to be a big leap for him [from Crewe to United]," added Ritchie. "But we know he won't walk straight into the first team. He'll almost do a second apprenticeship here - he'll probably start off in the Reserves and be on the fringes for Carling Cup games and he might even go out on loan at some stage.

"I've certainly been impressed with what I've seen of him and he looks to be a very good talent."

ciderman9000000

I don't rate this player at all. Last week I was talking to a lad who's dad listened to the second half of the Play-off Final on the radio, and he said he's not all that.

prateik

I agree.. Hope we can use him as a makeweight for the Baines transfer.
20m+Powell on a permanent should be enough to tempt Everton.

Or 25m+Powell for Cabaye.

Status
Not open for further replies.