Nicolás Otamendi or Sergio Ramos

Nicolás Otamendi or Sergio Ramos

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

walkinhop

Another reason to prefer Ramos, I'm not sure if we've ever had an Argie that worked out well... :nervous:
Well, in that we case we either sell all of them already at the club or add so their contingent is strong enough on the pitch and out of it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ramos is a better fit for Smalling. Otamendi looks a warrior of a defender and I think Smalling purely in terms of defending is class.

I'm on the fence right now.

STE586

Ramos has just been unveiled as Real captain so can't see this happening, anyway I don't want it to at €45m we've apparently bid today. What's that, £32m? I'm sorry but I'd rather go back for Hummels.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ramos has just been unveiled as Real captain so can't see this happening, anyway I don't want it to at €45m we've apparently bid today. What's that, £32m? I'm sorry but I'd rather go back for Hummels.
Van Persie was unveiled as Arsenal captain not long before we signed him.

Anyway, personally I think Ramos is a better CB than Hummels.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Interesting. So 50% of the people on this forum either hate Ramos, are massive Otamendi fanboys or just plain thick.
Or they, myself included, realise that if Ramos comes here it'll mean De Gea going the other way. Hence the reason i voted Otamendi. I'd rather Ramos if it meant De Gea stays but what are the chances of that?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Or they, myself included, realise that if Ramos comes here it'll mean De Gea going the other way. Hence the reason i voted Otamendi. I'd rather Ramos if it meant De Gea stays but what are the chances of that?
what are the chances De Gea stays is we get Otamendi though - about the same I think (circa 0%)

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'd honestly go Otamendi, he's a superb defender and exactly what we need right now. Hungry for success, a bit cheaper and avoid us dealing with Real.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Did not see enough of Otamendi to really judge him.

Ramos on the other hand is one of the best CBs. And he adds a lot of authority to our squad. However, his price tag might be too hefty...

Ixion

Interesting. So 50% of the people on this forum either hate Ramos, are massive Otamendi fanboys or just plain thick.
Otamendi is younger, will cost less money and mean we'll probably keep De Gea for another year. No need for insults if you disagree with that.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Sergio Ramos, and it's not particularly close either.

More established and will bring a wealth of experience for the likes of Smalling or Rojo to lean upon, better all-round defender (maybe not as stout as Otamendi at the back on the basis of last season, but there are multiple layers to Van Gaal's requirements), way more proven at the top level of European football and not exactly a 1 year wonder, excellent ball distribution ability, very vocal and expressive leader, will add some much needed character to our plain Jane defensive line etc.

That said, at the end of the day, Otamendi might be a more realistic option.

Dr Baltar

I completely understand that reasoning but the OP's question is simply "Ramos or Otamendi?". If we all start putting random scenarios together based on speculation then there's no point in the vote.

I don't know who scares me the most: the posters that would rather us sign a lesser player because Ramos is so unbelievably offensive to their delicate ideal of moral integrity or the posters that genuinely believe Otamendi is a better player or option for us.

Dr Baltar

Otamendi is younger, will cost less money and mean we'll probably keep De Gea for another year. No need for insults if you disagree with that.
Otamendi is two years younger but at no point in time will he ever be better ie. Ramos at 33 would still be a better player than Otamendi at 31. etc.
The second two points are speculation. The OP's question is pretty straight forward. If we all start putting imaginary stipulations on it then there's no point in a vote.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I completely understand that reasoning but the OP's question is simply "Ramos or Otamendi?". If we all start putting random scenarios together based on speculation then there's no point in the vote.

I don't know who scares me the most: the posters that would rather us sign a lesser player because Ramos is so unbelievably offensive to their delicate ideal of moral integrity or the posters that genuinely believe Otamendi is a better player or option for us.
With Jones and Smalling in the physio room, you won't need Ramos in the VIP-box.
Rather have Otamendi on field.

Cal?

CR7 fan
With Jones and Smalling in the physio room, you won't need Ramos in the VIP-box.
Rather have Otamendi on field.
Why would Ramos be in the VIP box? His health record can only be described as impeccable.

izec

Cant believe so many would prefer Otamendi over Ramos. The argumentation is laughable.

'Otamendi because Ramos isnt attainable'. Some people dont understand what this thread is about.

'Otamendi because Ramos is a cnut'. Yeah and Otamenid is an angel.

Ramos is a legend and an icon. He is one of the best defenders for years now, while Otamendi had one great season at Valencia. Ramos would fit us perfectly, cnut and a good defender with great skills on the ball. Getting a Real legend while they dont wan to sell would be a sensation.

Otamendi has nothing that we need that Ramos has not. Ramos all day long, would be the signing of the season by a mile. I would be happy with Otamendi too, but Ramos would be soemthing else.

RedStarUnited

The people picking Otamendi: Is it because you think he's a better player or is it because of other factors such as age, price etc.?

I picked Ramos based on the fact that he is the better player by far and one of the three best center-backs in the world. Don't understand how this is even a debate, let alone how Otamendi is leading.
Got to be other factors. Because if this is based on football ability and pedigree, Ramos would be leading this. Its similar to picking Kevin Phillips over Alan Sheerer in 2000, simply because Phillips was younger and had just had a better year than Sheerer.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If it meant we were able to keep De Gea then I'd happily turn down Ramos and go for otamendi. But he'd be a world class silver lining if we got him.

Ekeke

How did you arrive in that conclusion? From watching Valencia and Real?
Of course. I wasnt expecting much from Otamendi going into last season, he looked dodgy from watching Argentina when he and the likes of Rojo broke into the Argentina team. I wasnt even sure about him when Valencia signed him for what was significant money for them at the time. However watching him plenty last season he barely put a foot wrong. I'm a big fan of Smalling and feel like he's barely ever let us down but for me Otamendi made less mistakes last season, while Ramos makes more.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Of course. I wasnt expecting much from Otamendi going into last season, he looked dodgy from watching Argentina when he and the likes of Rojo broke into the Argentina team. I wasnt even sure about him when Valencia signed him for what was significant money for them at the time. However watching him plenty last season he barely put a foot wrong. I'm a big fan of Smalling and feel like he's barely ever let us down but for me Otamendi made less mistakes last season, while Ramos makes more.
Fair enough, I haven't seen enough of Otamendi to comment on how good he is, but having seen plenty of Ramos over the last few seasons, personally, he'd be my first choice CB signing in the world if age/cost is not a concern.

Ekeke

Fair enough, I haven't seen enough of Otamendi to comment on how good he is, but having seen plenty of Ramos over the last few seasons, personally, he'd be my first choice CB signing in the world if age/cost is not a concern.
His defending has never impressed me more than Pepe. Great going forward at set pieces though always likely to score a big goal

stepic

Ramos is by far the better player, so it's a pretty obvious decision.

amazing how many people on here get caught up in emotion instead of looking at the cold hard facts.

Cal?

CR7 fan
His defending has never impressed me more than Pepe. Great going forward at set pieces though always likely to score a big goal
Except for all those red cards he accumulates, he basically has everything you look for in a top CB methinks.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
In a straight choice I'd say Ramos, but as that would probably only happen with De Gea going the other way I'd rather take Otamendi and keep Dave for another year.

Raul Madrid

Sergio Ramos, and it's not particularly close either.

More established and will bring a wealth of experience for the likes of Smalling or Rojo to lean upon, better all-round defender (maybe not as stout as Otamendi at the back on the basis of last season, but there are multiple layers to Van Gaal's requirements), way more proven at the top level of European football and not exactly a 1 year wonder, excellent ball distribution ability, very vocal and expressive leader, will add some much needed character to our plain Jane defensive line etc.

That said, at the end of the day, Otamendi might be a more realistic option.
Funnily enough, I would say that Ramos suits Van Gaal's teams and way of playing more than Benitez' (I am judging him on his past teams like Valencia and Liverpool) and Otamendi suits Benitez' teams and way of playing more than Van Gaal's. Otamendi is more of a "Rafa Benitez" type centre-back than Ramos is due to him being more of a traditional stopper in the mould of Roberto Ayala, Marchena or Jamie Carragher who all thrived under Benitez' management.
Ramos is more of a ball playing centre-back who is very calm and confident on the ball and takes more risks when passing the ball out of defence which is exactly what Van Gaal wants in a centre-back.

If I remember correctly, Benitez originally put Luiz in midfield (although Luiz is not as good defensively as Ramos is) when he took over Chelsea (I cannot remember how long Luiz lasted in midfield but it gives you an idea about what Benitez has wanted from his defenders so far in his career). It is pretty clear to me that for the most part of Benitez's career, he has preferred centre-backs who focus on defending first and foremost rather than those who build from the back and are great on the ball but lacking in terms of concentration and positioning (while he has improved in those areas in recent years, they are certainly areas Ramos comes short in when compared to the likes of Ayala) so Otamendi is certainly the type of defender that Benitez would be more familiar with than Ramos.

Then again, like Benitez said, this is the best group of players that he has managed so perhaps he will finally change his style and become more adventurous and will be happy to have a player like Ramos in his team this time and have Madrid build from the back. Even Mourinho did that when he was at the helm.

Status
Not open for further replies.