Nicolas Otamendi | City Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He played at full back in that WC. Otamendi was clearly one of the best center backs in the portuguese football in the recent past. Slightly bellow Garay but quality never the less.

Heh most Argentinians i've seen in Portugal are a bit hot heads with the notable exception of Garay who was always very cool and composed in his play.
Aye forgot to mention the full back part but I knew that.

Most Argentine defenders outside of Portugal are hot heads too :D

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
What type of defender is he Sly, i.e ball playing or no nonsense?

Also, according to whoscored, although being right footed, he spends most of his time on the left side of centre back, which is what United desperately need, seeing as we've only got Rojo, Evans and Blackett (the last two I don't particularly rate) and could replace one of them; preferably Evans. Is this correct?
He is physical center back which reads the game very well, effective with the ball and good on defensive/offensive set pieces. Decent man marker but prone to some errors and concentration lapses. Out of curiosity when he played alongside with Mangala, he played on the right side and was clearly better than the french man.

Walters_19_MuFc

He is physical center back which reads the game very well, effective with the ball and good on defensive/offensive set pieces. Decent man marker but prone to some errors and concentration lapses. Out of curiosity when he played alongside with Mangala, he played on the right side and was clearly better than the french man.
Ok. Cheers.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
How good is he in relation to Rojo, @Sly ?
In the argentinian national team Rojo has been better and more useful. In Portugal Otamendi reached a higher level and was considered a better player although Rojo's last season like i said when i did his evaluation for the forum was very good. I actually find it odd that Van Gaal would try to make a Rojo/Otamendi duo. For me it makes no sense since they share almost the same attributes and also flaws.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
In the argentinian national team Rojo has been better and more useful. In Portugal Otamendi reached a higher level and was considered a better player although Rojo's last season like i said when i did his evaluation for the forum was very good. I actually find it odd that Van Gaal would try to make a Rojo/Otamendi duo. For me it makes no sense since they share almost the same attributes and also flaws.
Good point about them sharing strengths and weaknesses. I really don't think there's much in the rumours, but we'll see.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Good point about them sharing strengths and weaknesses. I really don't think there's much in the rumours, but we'll see.
I'd be very surprised if he is allowed to leave Valência. He is a vital player for Nuno and if we are to believe that it's absolutely essencial for the Lim management to get into the Champions League next year, selling his best defender doesn't make sense. They would have to buy a replacement since Vezo although a player with potencial, is still a project that was playing in a bottom half portuguese team last year. That would seriously dent their stability. I see Valência as a buyer club and not really selling their assets.

Sam

Hmm, doesn't sound all that promising in all honesty. Thanks for the great info though, as usual, Sly.

Devil may care

So he's like Rojo and Rojo is like Jones, what we need is someone to hold their leash, not more bulldogs.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
So he's like Rojo and Rojo is like Jones, what we need is someone to hold their leash, not more bulldogs.
Exactly. I mean if we are lead to believe the rumours, you are after Hummels and then Otamendi? That doesn't make sense in football terms. I can understand a Hummels and Rojo duo but a Otamendi/Rojo partnership makes no sense.

Devil may care

Exactly. I mean if we are lead to believe the rumours, you are after Hummels and then Otamendi? That doesn't make sense in football terms. I can understand a Hummels and Rojo duo but a Otamendi/Rojo partnership makes no sense.
I honestly think we are still after Hummels we are just going to have to wait until the summer. Otamendi seems to me like the alternative to failed hopes of Varane and then Marquinhos as a RCB option who isn't Smalling..

Bwuk

No thanks. If they are rejecting that sort of price, they are entering the valuation of the likes of Diego Godin.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He has an in for card on Ultimate Team and I've invested in about 13 of them so I hope this substantiates

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Remember him from the disastrous WC he had in 2010. He was played out of position at FB tbf and the rest of that Argue defense didn't help him one bit.

It was madness from Maradona really, playing an average right winger (Jonas Gutierrez) at LB and a young inexperienced Otamendi at FB with treble winning captain and one of the greatest FBs ever, Zanetti, not even called up. Cambiasso, one of the best midfielders at that time, wasn't called up as well. One of the most bizarre decisions ever.

From what little I've seen of Otamendi at Valencia he has been a good solid defender but not worth the quoted price. He was pretty impressive against Real but Gaya and Orban stood out more imo. Their LB Gaya looks a real prospect.

Last edited:

Hal9000

Valencia is owned by Peter Lim, who owns 50% of Salford City FC with the class of 92.

Connections.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
ONLY 6ft?

6ft regarded as short or average nowadays?
You've never heard someone say "Oh!, look at this 6ft midget".

And I don't think that he is 6ft he is shorter than that.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
From what little I've seen of Otamendi at Valencia he has been a good solid defender but not worth the quoted price. He was pretty impressive against Real but Gaya and Orban stood out more imo. Their LB Gaya looks a real prospect.
He was very impressive against Barcelona as well although they lost in the last minute. He has been very regular and their best defender and this comes from the words of their own manager Nuno.

GloryHunter07

Guardian live feed say that no concrete offer has been made and not looking to bring him in in Jan.

Anduin

Makes no sense. I remember us being linked to him last summer before he went to Valencia, and they paid 12 Million EUR for him. What's the point of paying triple that fee if we probably had a look last summer?

Revan

Assumptionman
He's decent from what I have seen of him (not that much though) but really I think that we should aim for someone better. Hummels or Godin.

Ekeke

Makes no sense. I remember us being linked to him last summer before he went to Valencia, and they paid 12 Million EUR for him. What's the point of paying triple that fee if we probably had a look last summer?
Because he's probably the 2nd best CB in La Liga? And Valencia have no reason to sell having just got him in, because they were unable to register him before this?

£26 million is a more than fair price from Valencia's point of view

Ekeke

Certainly not the case from Otamendi's time at Valencia.

He's been totally reliable defensively and the main reason for Valencia's good defence
On the ball, nothing of note but has scored some goals from corners

Rojo has been the opposite at United. Very questionable and self destructive
If you ignore the passes straight to attackers on the other team in dangerous areas, his passing numbers are statistically impressive so if he can cut out the sheer stupidity he can be the ball playing CB Van Gaal wants

izec

If he wouldnt be so similar to what we already have, he would be a good option. We need a real leader, organiser and a cool head in the defense, he seems to lack that. Nonetheless a very good defender, dont know why some people are panicking like he is the next Bebe. I am happy that we at least get some rumours going on, the CBs mentioned already are quality.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Certainly not the case from Otamendi's time at Valencia.

He's been totally reliable defensively and the main reason for Valencia's good defence
On the ball, nothing of note but has scored some goals from corners

Rojo has been the opposite at United. Very questionable and self destructive
If you ignore the passes straight to attackers on the other team in dangerous areas, his passing numbers are statistically impressive so if he can cut out the sheer stupidity he can be the ball playing CB Van Gaal wants
I was talking about their time in Portugal and they were certainly similiar players. And it's not just my opinion. Several of pundits said the same. But what i said is factual. Rojo was better than Otamendi in the Argentinian national team. Otamendi was rated higher in Portugal than Rojo (although Rojo's season under Leonardo Jardim's guidance was close to Otamendi's best performances under Villas Boas).

This year, it's a no brainer. I have been following both and Otamendi has been far better. A crucial player in Valência defence and Rojo was out injured for a while. I don't agree with your assessment of Rojo's performances but it's your opinion. I don't think he has been as bad. Opinions on his thread on Red Cafe have been polarizing. Don't forget that Otamendi benefits from a more stable defence (plays with same partner Mustafi majority of times), a manager that knows him well (think they were teammates at Porto) and is more experienced than Rojo. We can do the same comparison when Rojo is settled and with the same age as Otamendi. I mantain the same opinion, for me, a Rojo/Otamendi doesn't make sense although Van Gaal could make it happen who knows.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Because he's probably the 2nd best CB in La Liga? And Valencia have no reason to sell having just got him in, because they were unable to register him before this?

£26 million is a more than fair price from Valencia's point of view
Steady on. He hasn't even been in Spain for a season yet, far too soon to say he's the second best in the league!

Agree that it's fair from Valencia's point of view, but that's not what the post you were replying to was about. It was whether it makes sense from Man Utd's view, and I'd say it doesn't.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Steady on. He hasn't even been in Spain for a season yet, far too soon to say he's the second best in the league!

Agree that it's fair from Valencia's point of view, but that's not what the post you were replying to was about. It was whether it makes sense from Man Utd's view, and I'd say it doesn't.
I have to agree. That type of valorization in 6 months or so is absurd. I like Otamendi as a player but he isn't worth that supposed value.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I have to agree. That type of valorization in 6 months or so is absurd. I like Otamendi as a player but he isn't worth that supposed value.
It would be like signing Lovren for £20m on the back of 6 months good form...oh :(

Ekeke

It does if he's the best we can get, if Hummels and Godin simply arent available for any price then he's right up there and would be a big improvement on the likes of Rojo

Status
Not open for further replies.