Nicolas Pépé

Alexit

I think he needs some time to adapt, at least as much as we gave Lingard, before writing him off. He's very raw at the moment but I'll reserve my final judgment for a tad longer than four game weeks in.

pascell

They have Gnabry+Coman and were about to pull the trigger on Sané before the injury. Getting Perisic and go back for Sané is probably a better plan than blow 80m on Pepe and then 100m+ on Sané.
Basically what @Cassidy says underneath. No way they get Pepe and Sané. Coman is injury prone too and two wingers for two positions is nowhere near enough either.
They scouted Pepe for a year and then passed on him, this was before Sane even became a possibility

Josep Dowling

I see who a player who looks excellent right until he needs to make a final pass or shoot. Maybe that will improve over the season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Think he will come good but they certainly overpaid

BatistutaGoal

Supports
Leicester City
He looks ok so far. The only thing he's been lacking is the final ball.

Amarsdd

In terms of the hype, I think people just got deceived by his french league numbers and the price. In most cases, the numbers are more than halved coming into EPL from that league and also people forgot a lot of his goals were penalties. One thing I have found surprising though is that he has looked lacking technically as well in these 5 games except for a couple of fancy tricks.

AJ10

So far it looks like Lille played a blinder to get 70+ mil for him. His overall play looks very average.

Nick7

I think there's signs of a player in there but he's got no end product so far. Looks a bit scared when up one on one at times and scared to take real chances.

haram

To me it looks like a player vastly overrated because people did not take into account context and systems. At the moment it looks like he has a fancy dribble but the team play aspect is non existent. Maybe it is partly to do with understanding with team mates and also the manager but he does not look like a 70 million player at all. For 70 million you surely have to help the team function in a better way. He seems very individual.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The mental thing is when I see “70 million” nowadays, I don’t think that it is an absurd amount of money.

It is very early to judge. But I don’t think Arsenal will step up a level with him in the team.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The mental thing is when I see “70 million” nowadays, I don’t think that it is an absurd amount of money.

It is very early to judge. But I don’t think Arsenal will step up a level with him in the team.
It feels like 25-30 millions that was spent some years ago. The football bubble will explose soon

Bobski

Is there an element of Depay when he first came to Utd about Pepe? Guy who put up big numbers as the main man in a lesser team finding it hard to adapt to not having that freedom. Offered nothing today, wants far too much time on the ball and gave Maitland Niles no cover at all against a rampant Delefelou, as Haram said very much an individual.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Too early to ridicule those who wanted him here rather than wait for someone better?

BlahRules

He would get better. This reminds me of Ferminho.

One of the reason Depay could not handle PL is because he did not have electric pace or flair. He relied on tricks which was wank.

Depay was not suited to be a winger for the PL or the style of play we had him playing if he was play as a winger.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They made big gamble by spent huge on an unproven player like him and doing coin toss whether he can show the same performance in tougher & a tier 1 league. It’s still early but there is always a risk when you spend big on an unproven player and they have paid the price.

Not sure why they didn’t try to add little more money on Zaha who is more proven in many years.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
This player currently defines the difference between Manchester United and everyone else.

We sign this player for 70mill and no way you could put a positive slant on it. Keep hearing how outstanding he is in the media.....yet nothing

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Terrible business by the Glazers to spend 20 million on a championship level player while Arsenal spend 70 million on Pepe :wenger:

This shit right is the reason why we shouldnt be spending bucket loads on players not in Spain or the EPL. No wonder we didnt want to touch Bruno with a 10 foot barge pole.

haram

Terrible business by the Glazers to spend 20 million on a championship level player while Arsenal spend 70 million on Pepe :wenger:

This shit right is the reason why we shouldnt be spending bucket loads on players not in Spain or the EPL. No wonder we didnt want to touch Bruno with a 10 foot barge pole.
There have been many good players signed from outside of the Spanish and English leagues...

Idxomer

There was a wonderful ball from Ozil I think in the 1st half that should've seen him through on goal but he messed it up badly with his 1st touch.

His technique seems suspect so far from what I've seen.

haram

You're missing what im saying. Its that we shouldnt be paying 70 million for them...
Would you not have paid a big amount for Mbappe? It’s Arsenal’s fault if they have signed a dud, no one else wanted him at 70 million.

R'hllor

Guy might need to adapt to new league, country etc dunno how people can pull out some weird comparisons

El-Manos

Too early to judge him. But so far James looks a better player. Subject to change of course.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I was one of the posters who was against the signing of Pepe. But you have to give the guy at least 6 months before making a judgement.

Castia

He will be a good signing

Started well in the first couple of games and was one of the best players on the pitch against Liverpool.

Needs time to settle, I think come January he will have a few goals and assists and look more stable.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A very poor start to his Arsenal career. He's got pace and flair on the ball for sure, but he
  • Looks a little heavy/cumbersome in his movements.
  • Has displayed very poor intelligence and decision making qualities. One of those who doesn't seem to know what to do once he's in the final third and has to make the right decision quickly
Sometimes it takes players time to adapt to a new league though so he deserves leeway in the first 6 months or so. He does look threatening and talented on the ball - see him making a mug of VVD against Liverpool.
But then again, for the money spent Arsenal fans will want much more after he settles.

haram

He will be a good signing

Started well in the first couple of games and was one of the best players on the pitch against Liverpool.

Needs time to settle, I think come January he will have a few goals and assists and look more stable.
The game plan was set up to give him all the space in the world against Liverpool, and he still messed up when they needed him.