Gaming Nintendo 3DS vs PS Vita thread.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
You can remote play to Android phones right? There are grips for those which have far better triggers/analogue sticks than the Vita. I might look into getting it on my S4, though I think it's only Sony phones so far.

Apparently it's not just Sony ones. Though maybe needs rooting, not sure.
I had no clue about the Androids, tbh.

b82REZ

Remote play is only on Sony phones. I can't imagine they'll be allowing that on competitors phones.

It's the reason it got an Xperia Z3.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Remote play is only on Sony phones. I can't imagine they'll be allowing that on competitors phones.

It's the reason it got an Xperia Z3.
It's available on others but not officially through Sony it seems. It definitely makes me more interested in a Sony phone though, I can upgrade whenever. How is it?

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I think the Vita is one of the worst things I have ever bought. I just don't enjoy playing it at all. The only games I have are the ones that come with PS Plus and after a year and a half of having it there's nothing that I've liked that much.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I occasionally think it would be cool to get one sometime if I see one going cheap, but there are really only a handful of games I'd like to try. I still can't help thinking about it sometimes though.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I hate mine. I hate that I spent so much money on it at launch (the 3g version ffs).

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I really like mine. Didn't get it at launch, originally got it when the 3G was cut price... unfortunately it broke a few months ago and I had to get the new one.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I don't play handhelds too often, but the vita is a great piece of kit.

I actually prefer the game selection to the 3ds :nervous:

Apart from the zelda remakes I have been pretty disappointed with it

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Gravity Rush
Wipeout 2048
Sine Mora
Velocity Ultra
Rayman Origins
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Unit 13
Street Fighter X Tekken
Oddworld
Guacamelee
Soul Sacrifice
Muramasa Rebirth
Hotline Miami
Everybodys Golf
Dragons Crown
Fez
Killzone Mercenary

I think those are the most notable of the free games that have came with PS Plus since I've had it. I don't think I've played anything for more than an hour or two from that list. I did buy Final Fantasy 6 which was the first final fantasy game I have ever played and got 20 hours into it before I stopped.

Downloaded Killzone Mercenary yesterday and turned it off after 10 minutes. It was a bit crap and not the kind of game you want to play on handheld. Why can't Sony just buy Pokomans? I played that as a kid (Fire Red) and it was pretty good.

Think I will need to buy Persona 4 Golden as it looks like it might be the only game I might like on Vita

Edit - Also Sony should put the Spotify and Netflix apps on it or something.

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Has anyone got the new 3DS? I'm inclined to get one, standard size because I don't need an XL anymore. I currently have ice white standard 3DS that I haven't used in a while and blue 3DS XL, selling them both would probably leave me money for both new 3DS and Xenoblade. I like the fact that it's 1.2 times bigger, exactly the size it's meant to be IMO.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I haven't got one (yet?), but I want one because of the SNES buttons and the faceplates :drool:

Hyrule Warriors is coming to the 3DS BTW. I haven't played the Wii U version so don't know what it's like, but it looks good from the trailer

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Got Xenoblade for the 3DS yesterday, fired it up today, interesting game.

Combat isn't exactly my cup of tea, but better than expected. Game is massive, freaking massive. Just poking around the first town, done like 3 side quests, hour and a half in.....

It's kind of too big though, for the 3DS's small screen, in the larger map areas at least*. Incredibly impressive that they fit a game of this scope on the thing, though!

*Especially if you feck up and jump off the side of the the town and end up on the ocean for 15 minutes trying to find your way back in. :o

x42bn6

Got Xenoblade for the 3DS yesterday, fired it up today, interesting game.

Combat isn't exactly my cup of tea, but better than expected. Game is massive, freaking massive. Just poking around the first town, done like 3 side quests, hour and a half in.....

It's kind of too big though, for the 3DS's small screen, in the larger map areas at least*. Incredibly impressive that they fit a game of this scope on the thing, though!

*Especially if you feck up and jump off the side of the the town and end up on the ocean for 15 minutes trying to find your way back in. :o
Hit ZR. That brings up the map so you can warp to certain landmarks.

Also, you can quick travel (X and go to the first icon) to warp to different maps and their landmarks.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Got Persona 4 Golden today. Looks good from the 10 mins I've played.

I went for the normal difficulty

Sarni

Yeah, by far the best Vita title. I have already completed it but I reckon I am going to play it again this year.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Yeah, by far the best Vita title. I have already completed it but I reckon I am going to play it again this year.
What difficulty did you pick? I wasn't sure what kind of combat this has so I hope normal will be ok

Played over an hour now, great game

Sarni

What difficulty did you pick? I wasn't sure what kind of combat this has so I hope normal will be ok

Played over an hour now, great game
It was normal and I had no prior experience with similar games. I sunk into it immediately, took me 38 hours to finish it I think and I could not stop playing.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
It was normal and I had no prior experience with similar games. I sunk into it immediately, took me 38 hours to finish it I think and I could not stop playing.
I've read that people usually end up having 80+ hours for the first playthrough so it seems you finished it quite quickly?

Also just read that there's a Persona 5 coming out this year for PS4! Had no idea, great news