Gaming Nintendo Switch

Member 39557

What are the top 10 games for switch if I get one? I already played breath of the wild on Wii-U
I would have Tetris 99 and splatoon2 up there as well. Plus lots of Indies that are available on other consoles, but not handheld ;)

If you like Witcher, rocket league and Skyrim, you can play those handheld too.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Ok so I finally managed to nab one of these (delivered this weekend) and I've Mario Kart arriving today for local multiplayer but what game/s do I need to play asap?

Obvious list is -

BoTW
Mario Odyssey
Luigis Mansion 3
Spla2oon
Animal Crossing

Which ones would you prioritise? Tbh I only need one to get stuck into right away. Also how many games can you download onto these things? I prefer physical copies but wouldn't mind the odd digital one if it's going to be a keeper.

b82REZ

Ok so I finally managed to nab one of these (delivered this weekend) and I've Mario Kart arriving today for local multiplayer but what game/s do I need to play asap?

Obvious list is -

BoTW
Mario Odyssey
Luigis Mansion 3
Spla2oon
Animal Crossing

Which ones would you prioritise? Tbh I only need one to get stuck into right away. Also how many games can you download onto these things? I prefer physical copies but wouldn't mind the odd digital one if it's going to be a keeper.
Zelda is the best game on the console.

Internal storage is wank so you will need to eventually get an SD card to expand the internal storage.

I've just accidently bought the limited edition NES joycons because of the drift issue on my left stick. Only realised after I placed the order that the NES controller has no analogue stick so had to buy another one. Nintendo sure know how to charge top dollar for their hardware.

Reactions: CassiusClaymore

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

Obvious list is -

BoTW
Mario Odyssey
Luigis Mansion 3
Spla2oon
Animal Crossing

You can stick a microSD card in it and basically go nuts on downloads. Xenoblade 2, Astral Chain and Fire Emblem: Three Houses are other big exclusives so you might want to look into whether those are games for you. A remake of the first Xenoblade is due to release soon as well. Oh, and don't forget about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for local multiplayer.
I'd recommend Mario + Rabbids too if you like XCOM style games. It seems quite easy to begin with but by the end of it there's a good challenge in it.

Of indies I've really enjoyed Golf Story, Hollow Knight, Celeste, the SteamWorld games and Overcooked (great co-op game).

Reactions: CassiusClaymore

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Switch arrived today. Downloaded Cuphead and the Splatoon demo. Already got Mario Kart. Just waiting on Zelda.

It's beautiful. Love the little noises it makes when you attach/detach the joy cons.

Was surprised by how small it is.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Switch arrived today. Downloaded Cuphead and the Splatoon demo. Already got Mario Kart. Just waiting on Zelda.

It's beautiful. Love the little noises it makes when you attach/detach the joy cons.

Was surprised by how small it is.
My girlfriend hates basically all unnecessary noise but I’m the complete opposite. I love the satisfying little sounds the Switch makes.

paulscholes18

Spent the longest time playing a single Mario level well over an hour spent a 0.5% troll level

7WT-DHL-5DG

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
After realising that I haven't turned on my PS4 for nearly two years, I'm finally selling it and will get a switch with the money once it's back in stock.

Few questions:

How much is the subscription to play it online?

I heard you can download old SNES games. If that's true, how much do they cost and is the library decent?

How many controllers come with basic package?

Thanks in advance.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
After realising that I haven't turned on my PS4 for nearly two years, I'm finally selling it and will get a switch with the money once it's back in stock.

Few questions:

£3.49 for a month, £6.99 for three months or a year for £17.99 .

I heard you can download old SNES games. If that's true, how much do they cost and is the library decent?
Nintendo Online membership includes access to NES and SNES games, you can play whatever selection they have at the time for free. These are the games on there at the moment - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Switch_Online#Classic_games_service

It has the two joycons which can be used separately as two mini controllers for multiplayer games, or together as one more "normal" controller using included the joycon grip.

Maagge

Few questions:

Thanks in advance.
In the basic package you get the two attached joy-cons and a separate joy-con grip. So you can move the joy-cons from the Switch to the grip. You can also just play with them detached, one in each hand. Some games let you play with just a single joy-con (e.g. Mario Kart), so you effectively get two controllers from the start.

The online subscription is ~$20/year and gives you access to cloud saves, Tetris 99 and a selection of NES and SNES games.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
£3.49 for a month, £6.99 for three months or a year for £17.99 .

Nintendo Online membership includes access to NES and SNES games, you can play whatever selection they have at the time for free. These are the games on there at the moment - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Switch_Online#Classic_games_service

It has the two joycons which can be used separately as two mini controllers for multiplayer games, or together as one more "normal" controller using included the joycon grip.
In the basic package you get the two attached joy-cons and a separate joy-con grip. So you can move the joy-cons from the Switch to the grip. You can also just play with them detached, one in each hand. Some games let you play with just a single joy-con (e.g. Mario Kart), so you effectively get two controllers from the start.

The online subscription is ~$20/year and gives you access to cloud saves, Tetris 99 and a selection of NES and SNES games.
Thanks both. Now just to find the bloody thing. I had so many chances to buy before quarantine and didn't bother. So stupid.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I'm spending the most time on Splatoon at the moment. Strangely satisfying walking about with that giant roller and covering everything in paint. Reckon I'll grab that whilst it's on offer too. That should be plenty to be getting on with for now.

Animal Crossing and Mario Odyssey to be picked up at a later date.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Been playing a lot of BOTW. Amazing game. Doesn’t hold your hand either. I think technically you could run to the end game right from the start but you’d die obviously. All about getting the right skills and armour. No experience points and levelling up here.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Been playing a lot of BOTW. Amazing game. Doesn’t hold your hand either. I think technically you could run to the end game right from the start but you’d die obviously. All about getting the right skills and armour. No experience points and levelling up here.
It's a game about imagination and is the most complete and impressive open world ever made. It's a remarkable achievement a lot still don't understand and never fully understood.

It's not the best Zelda though IMO and does have it's flaws as a game. But if they use this and add content for the next one, then it's easily going to set yet another benchmark.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Need some advice.

I was ready to sell my PS4 and get a Switch but with to the Switch being sold out, I thought I'd play on my PS4 today and now I'm unsure.

On the PS4, I love games like Street Fighter 5 and FIFA. Those are probably the two games I play the most. I'll probably purchase Streets Of Rage 4 and a free others, but mainly short burst games.

With a full time job, a child and script writing, I don't have time to sink my teeth into long adventure games any more. The Last Of Us is probably the last adventure game I played...

Looking at Switch, the only games that interest me are Mario Kart and Smash Bros... But people keep saying that once I get it, I'll be hooked into other games.

My main issue is that FIFA on Switch isn't going to be as good as on PS4...

Any suggestions to which I should get?

celia

Maybe Mario Odyssey since many of the moons are fast to get.

Maybe Splatoon 2 if you subscribe to Nintendo online, it is a fun game that can be played in short busts, well in 3 minutes matches. (Go directly to the online part, don't begin with the solo)

I am quite sure Breath of the wild could be played in short sessions too. There are maybe only the beasts and the last part (?) that require more time.

Last edited:

Maagge

Need some advice.

I was ready to sell my PS4 and get a Switch but with to the Switch being sold out, I thought I'd play on my PS4 today and now I'm unsure.

On the PS4, I love games like Street Fighter 5 and FIFA. Those are probably the two games I play the most. I'll probably purchase Streets Of Rage 4 and a free others, but mainly short burst games.

With a full time job, a child and script writing, I don't have time to sink my teeth into long adventure games any more. The Last Of Us is probably the last adventure game I played...

Looking at Switch, the only games that interest me are Mario Kart and Smash Bros... But people keep saying that once I get it, I'll be hooked into other games.

Personally I find that a lot of the games on the Switch lend themselves well to shorter sessions. Dead Cells, Celeste, Into the Breach, Mario + Rabbids, Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild to some extent.
But if FIFA is important for you I'd probably stick with the PS4.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Still haven't booted it up yet. Need a nice wet afternoon set aside to get my teeth into it.

Have you got Splatoon 2 Sol?

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
It's free multiplayer week for Splatoon 2, it's much better than I was expecting. Really fun team based shooter.

EwanI Ted

Need some advice.

I'm in a similar boat, full time job, two young kids, so not much time for gaming. I found the Switch a great little machine for that simply because the portable option meant I could get more gaming in, you can fit in 20 minutes here and there without having to hog the whole front room. The games tend to be more suitable for kids so you dont need to wait for them to go to bed if they see you playing it. Plus my 7 yo is a keen gamer in his own right, so the Switch tends to have all the game he likes and we can play together. I've found it a very parent friendly machine.

Dave_MUFC

Got my Switch last week and loving it.

Some advice for some looking for one; Keep scouring classified forums. Managed to get a V1 in mint conditions boxed with all accessories and pro controller for £210 delivered!

So far I've bought Mario Odyssey, Links Awakening, Mario Maker 2, and SnipperClippers (to play coop with the missus.)

Mario is amazing. Just a typical adventure game, the graphics are great, with the gameplay varied. Prefer to play this docked, as it seems more a console game, than a handheld. Anyone know how long the story takes to complete?

Links Awakening is a cool game too. The style reminds me of playing the older Zelda games on the DS, so I prefer to play it in handheld.

I love the premise of Mario Maker 2, although I've mainly been playing it coop with my girlfriend, but does anyone have any tips on finding good, longer, varied levels? All I seem to find are random story based levels which last about 20 seconds and show nothing, or the speed run type, which we both find nearly impossible to do. The world course thing seems to go back to a more traditional Mario? Anyway, I'm less interested in making things myself, and mainly wanted to play peoples creations, but was looking for a bit more meat in the levels.

Was about to pull the trigger on buying BOTW, but have heard that it's such a big game that you get so involved in, that I'm probably better off buying it after I've finished Mario and Links Awakening. Also considering Okami and Ace Attorney digitally.

Maagge

Mario is amazing. Just a typical adventure game, the graphics are great, with the gameplay varied. Prefer to play this docked, as it seems more a console game, than a handheld. Anyone know how long the story takes to complete?
The story isn't that long and designed to be accessible to everyone, I think. So it isn't that difficult. The post-game is very long though and has all the difficulty you need, if that's your thing.

Dave_MUFC

The story isn't that long and designed to be accessible to everyone, I think. So it isn't that difficult. The post-game is very long though and has all the difficulty you need, if that's your thing.
Thanks for that. Unfortunately I don't really replay games more than once, as outside of lockdown I struggle to find the time to finish games as it is. From the top of my head, I've only managed to complete 3-4 games in the last few years!

Not a bad thing with the Nintendo exclusives though, as resale value sticks so can always sell and buy another with little lost.

Maagge

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I don't really replay games more than once, as outside of lockdown I struggle to find the time to finish games as it is. From the top of my head, I've only managed to complete 3-4 games in the last few years!

Not a bad thing with the Nintendo exclusives though, as resale value sticks so can always sell and buy another with little lost.
Oh you don't have to replay the game. There's just a bunch more stuff that opens up.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I love the premise of Mario Maker 2, although I've mainly been playing it coop with my girlfriend, but does anyone have any tips on finding good, longer, varied levels? All I seem to find are random story based levels which last about 20 seconds and show nothing, or the speed run type, which we both find nearly impossible to do. The world course thing seems to go back to a more traditional Mario? Anyway, I'm less interested in making things myself, and mainly wanted to play peoples creations, but was looking for a bit more meat in the levels.
I found that for finding more "normal" levels looking at the new levels tab is best. Also the "hot" tab. The quality varies quite a lot doing it that way, but it avoids a lot of the speedrun/automatic/music levels you see when sorting by most popular.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The worst (and nearly unforgivable thing) about Splatoon is this annoying intro that seems unskippable every time you log in. Who decided that would be a good idea? Aint nobody got time for that.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Got my Switch last week and loving it.

Some advice for some looking for one; Keep scouring classified forums. Managed to get a V1 in mint conditions boxed with all accessories and pro controller for £210 delivered!

So far I've bought Mario Odyssey, Links Awakening, Mario Maker 2, and SnipperClippers (to play coop with the missus.)

Links Awakening is a cool game too. The style reminds me of playing the older Zelda games on the DS, so I prefer to play it in handheld.

Was about to pull the trigger on buying BOTW, but have heard that it's such a big game that you get so involved in, that I'm probably better off buying it after I've finished Mario and Links Awakening. Also considering Okami and Ace Attorney digitally.
My little boy has sunk over 200 hours into Mario Odyssey. You don’t even unlock the mushroom kingdom until you’ve completed it and I think you need 500 moons to unlock the darker side of the moon.

If you want to find all 999 moons then this is a long game.

BOTW is absolutely fantastic as well. Again, my son (like Mario with my help) has sunk hundreds of hours in to this as well.