Gaming Nintendo Switch

Traub

I'm thinking of getting a switch... is there going to be an updated console soon making me regret my decision?

decorativeed

I'm thinking of getting a switch... is there going to be an updated console soon making me regret my decision?
Short answer is nobody knows and there have been rumours of an updated model pretty much since the original came out.

If you are lucky enough to find one and you change your mind, resale value is still going to be decent.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
They actually did a mini upgrade in 2019, better battery and fixed some joycon issues. They might release a pro at some stage but it'll probably be more expensive anyway and you can always trade it in for it. It only cost me €30 to trade in my original Switch for the 2019 model in Gamestop! The Switch has constantly been hard to get so has great re-sale value.

Plus, y'know, it's fecking great.

Traub

Short answer is nobody knows and there have been rumours of an updated model pretty much since the original came out.

If you are lucky enough to find one and you change your mind, resale value is still going to be decent.
They actually did a mini upgrade in 2019, better battery and fixed some joycon issues. They might release a pro at some stage but it'll probably be more expensive anyway and you can always trade it in for it. It only cost me €30 to trade in my original Switch for the 2019 model in Gamestop! The Switch has constantly been hard to get so has great re-sale value.

Plus, y'know, it's fecking great.
thanks lads. They’re pretty easily available in my country - so I don’t think there’ll be much of a resale value.
I should probably ask this in the pokemon thread, but are sword and shield decent games? Similar to red and blue?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
thanks lads. They’re pretty easily available in my country - so I don’t think there’ll be much of a resale value.
I should probably ask this in the pokemon thread, but are sword and shield decent games? Similar to red and blue?
They’re decent. A lot different to red and blue in terms of features and the actual Pokemon (they’ve run out of ideas). I also found it quite easy but Pokemon is Pokemon. Still good.

Dave_MUFC

Just won an auction for game called Astral Chain. Saw some videos of it and looked good. Also meant to be similar to Nier, which I recently played and loved the mechanics (didn't get past the intro though, only complaint about it!).

Anyone played it? Was looking for something a bit deeper than the usual Mario and Zelda etc.

decorativeed

Let's Go Eevee / Pikachu was just a updated remake of red / blue really. My son spent 7 hours on Shield yesterday, as I gave it him for his birthday. Seems fairly similar but bigger. Some expansions coming later in the summer too.

Cloud7

For anyone that liked Persona 5 (I absolutely loved it), there’s a game on the switch called Tokyo Mirage Sessions that’s quite good, and a similar style of game made by the same people

Massive Spanner

Just won an auction for game called Astral Chain. Saw some videos of it and looked good. Also meant to be similar to Nier, which I recently played and loved the mechanics (didn't get past the intro though, only complaint about it!).

Anyone played it? Was looking for something a bit deeper than the usual Mario and Zelda etc.
I hated Astral Chain but most people seem to love it. Hope that helps.

celia

I think they are ok, you won't be lost. Actually they are even easier then Red/Blue because there is no puzzle, so no time lost crossing places trying to figure how to get out a cave. On the other hand, there were lot of things that were added (natures, EV, IV...) if you want to play against other players but if you just play the story you are fine with any pokémon (of course based on levels and types).

They are quite short to play, maybe 15-25 hours to finish the story. But lot more time is needed to fill the pokédex, and people also spend time doing the raids or battling other people.It is possible to do the raids solo (with some NPC) but they are harder, especially the gigantamax ones.

Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee are the 2nd remakes of Red/Blue (they are more a remake of Pokémon Yellow with Pikachu or Evoli with you, and Jessie, James and Meowth in it, though you play a new character and can meet Blue, Red, Green), I won't really advise them except if you really want to play again Red/Blue, they sadly didn't add the extra content of the first remake Leaf-Green and Fire-Red (extra islands, I think and breeding), but they are quite nice for young children since you just throw pokéball to catch pokémon (there are few pokémon you have to battle).
Pokémon Let's Go is so far the only way you can transfer some kanto pokémon from Pokémon Go. From Let's Go you can send them to Pokémon Home then to Sword/Shield if they are accepted.

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Started Breath of the Wild yesterday and it's as joyful as I'd hoped. Smashed through the first few shrines to get the paraglider and arrived in Kakariko Village on a trusty steed.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Started Breath of the Wild yesterday and it's as joyful as I'd hoped. Smashed through the first few shrines to get the paraglider and arrived in Kakariko Village on a trusty steed.
I called my first horse Parsnip. He was a dumbass. I’m quite far in now and have not really used horses much due to all the climbing required.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I called my first horse Parsnip. He was a dumbass. I’m quite far in now and have not really used horses much due to all the climbing required.
Can you keep your horses? I'm guessing mine will be gone when I go back in because I hadn't really given it any thought. Yeah, I have done plenty of climbing already.

b82REZ

Can you keep your horses? I'm guessing mine will be gone when I go back in because I hadn't really given it any thought. Yeah, I have done plenty of climbing already.
I think you keep it but I never used them. I felt I'd miss too much of the world if I galloped around on a noble steed.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah you can register it to a stable and take it out from there but that's the only way to get it back if you leave it somewhere. I abandoned mine somewhere (I won't say for spoilers of locations) and he was still there after me playing for 3 real life days.

Wal2Fra

I'm looking for a decent shoot em up game. I saw a review of red faction which looks decent but I am looking for something more strategy based like a MGS or Tom Clancy type of game if posdible.

Anyone got any ideas or found any hidden gems on the e-shop that fit the bill?

Member 39557

Yeah you can register it to a stable and take it out from there but that's the only way to get it back if you leave it somewhere. I abandoned mine somewhere (I won't say for spoilers of locations) and he was still there after me playing for 3 real life days.
If you're reasonably local and whistle, your horse will come to you

Sweet Square

I'm looking for a decent shoot em up game. I saw a review of red faction which looks decent but I am looking for something more strategy based like a MGS or Tom Clancy type of game if posdible.

Anyone got any ideas or found any hidden gems on the e-shop that fit the bill?
The Sniper Elite 3. It's basically a cheap knock off of MGS5(In a good way)

decorativeed

Got Cuphead the other day when it was on sale. It's bloody hard, but as there are infinite lives and it looks so great, it still manages to be loads of fun. £12 well spent so far.

b82REZ

Got Cuphead the other day when it was on sale. It's bloody hard, but as there are infinite lives and it looks so great, it still manages to be loads of fun. £12 well spent so far.
It's worth £12 just for art style.

I love bullet hell games so it surprises me that I've never finished Cuphead. Think I got to the third island.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Is anyone picking up Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition? It's getting good reviews.

Massive Spanner

Is anyone picking up Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition? It's getting good reviews.
I'd be tempted but I fecking hated Xenoblade 2. Or, at least, I hated the first 40 hours, but I guess the next 60 were pretty fun, after I eventually got to them.

is it a better game?

Maagge

I'd be tempted but I fecking hated Xenoblade 2. Or, at least, I hated the first 40 hours, but I guess the next 60 were pretty fun, after I eventually got to them.

is it a better game?
I don't know. I've never played any of them, I was hoping to hear some opinions on the original here.
I think I remember some talk in here about having to "click" with the Xenoblade 2 battle system or something. Kudos to you for sticking with it for 40 hours. :lol:

From the reviews I've seen the battle system in the first game should be easier to get into and all the tweaks and improvements have been warmly received.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Still haven't booted it up yet. Need a nice wet afternoon set aside to get my teeth into it.

Have you got Splatoon 2 Sol?
Been playing this now. I’m constantly the best player on a team full of Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime apparently. I’m only level 3 and I’m finishing usually top of both teams unless we get absolutely rinsed.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Been playing this now. I’m constantly the best player on a team full of Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime apparently. I’m only level 3 and I’m finishing usually top of both teams unless we get absolutely rinsed.
Haha. Same. People that are crap seem to think it's Call of Duty when the object of the game is to paint more of the area than the other team. Oh and anyone using a paintbrush.

Sploosh-o-matic is my go to. The music bores it's way into your brain too.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Yes. Already have it on the wii, which I only have for tales of symphonia, the last story and xenoblade. But I need this on the switch as well. :drool:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I know the switch is weaker than the ps4 and xbone, but is more powerfull than the ps3?

Ive been looking at the prices here in Denmark and its more expensive than it was at launch.

Last edited:

Maagge

Yes. Already have it on the wii, which I only have for tales of symphonia, the last story and xenoblade. But I need this on the switch as well. :drool:
Tells us how it is when you get to it. I'm interested, but won't be picking it up right now as I still have other games to play.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I know the switch is weaker than the ps4 and xbone, but is more powerfull than the ps3?

Ive been looking at the prices here in Denmark and its more expensive than it qas at launch.
I wouldn’t look at it as a power comparison. I would think about what kind of games you enjoy playing and if the portability of the Switch is an attractive option for you.

Games on the switch look fantastic and, as always, Nintendo is really creative and offers something different. It all comes down to what you enjoy playing.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

Ive been looking at the prices here in Denmark and its more expensive than it qas at launch.
Same here in UK. It's because the stores are sold out and people are taking advantage of people desperate for home entertainment.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Same here in UK. It's because the stores are sold out and people are taking advantage of people desperate for home entertainment.
Yeah im mainly looking at the switch because im running out ps4 games to play, i spend most of my time at home so the portable aspect isnt really so important to me, but i think out of pure principle im not willing to pay more for it than when its launched and also since i have a low income.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Tells us how it is when you get to it. I'm interested, but won't be picking it up right now as I still have other games to play.
I can tell you that it is a magnificent rpg to really get completely drawn into. Before, on the wii, the annoying thing about the game was the need of having a pc nearby so you could see where to go on every quest but they have simplified that. It's absolutely better than Xenoblade 2 in my opinion, which is a quite well liked game.

That said I haven't looked much at the changes to the switch edition. It'll be sharper on colors for sure, which is a big reason I'm buying it. The wii doesn't perfor mas well on a big tv in my opinion.

Maagge

I can tell you that it is a magnificent rpg to really get completely drawn into. Before, on the wii, the annoying thing about the game was the need of having a pc nearby so you could see where to go on every quest but they have simplified that. It's absolutely better than Xenoblade 2 in my opinion, which is a quite well liked game.

That said I haven't looked much at the changes to the switch edition. It'll be sharper on colors for sure, which is a big reason I'm buying it. The wii doesn't perfor mas well on a big tv in my opinion.
Yeah I've watched two reviews on YouTube and both agreed the changes to the quest system were excellent. It all sounded very good.

Maagge

Yeah im mainly looking at the switch because im running out ps4 games to play, i spend most of my time at home so the portable aspect isnt really so important to me, but i think out of pure principle im not willing to pay more for it than when its launched and also since i have a low income.
I'm exactly like that. If anything I almost only buy stuff at a discount when it comes to gaming.
If you share your TV with someone the portability aspect is fantastic as well.