Gaming Nintendo Switch

diarm

I've sank more hours into Mario kart on the switch over the last 3 years than every other game I've played combined. It's brilliant!

My wife and nieces love Super Mario Party. Keeps them entertained for hours.

If there are kids who are you for a slightly stronger challenge, Donkey Kong is a decent little platformer and Odyssey is a cracking one.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
What are the best games to play with the family of all ages? I just bought a Switch and will be taking it around to the in laws for Christmas. Any suggestions are welcome, I will go out tomorrow and purchase them.
Overcooked as well. It's great fun to play, but people even seem to enjoy watching others fail miserably. My dad likes watching at least and he thinks it's refreshing it's not a game about killing feckers.
Depending on the age distribution Smash Bros. might be a good bet as well.

celia

What are the best games to play with the family of all ages? I just bought a Switch and will be taking it around to the in laws for Christmas. Any suggestions are welcome, I will go out tomorrow and purchase them.
Mario Kart probably.
Maybe Mario Party as long as everyone can use quite well the controller. A game like the the beginning of Breath of the Wild is a lot more forgiving than Mario Party for a player that doesn't manage from the start to go left or up by example.

Pokémon Sword or Shield (or even Let's Go) can be quite nice or even Breath of the Wild (I read these two of these games to a kid that hadn't learnt to read at that time though for BotW, it's better if you already know the game so you can skip the hard challenges).

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is a cute strategy game that is quite easy... with funny cutscenes. I also read the game to a kid and did the puzzles part since they were to challenging for the kid.

Sweet Square

.Overcooked(1 or 2)

.Untitled Goose Game

.Snipperclips Plus

.Heave Ho

.Nidhogg

.Human Fall Flat

Most these game only require a few buttons to play and are quite easy to understand.

b82REZ

I can't recommend Horace enough to anyone who likes platforming/metrovania games.

Possibly the best pixel graphics I've ever seen and a genuinely funny and heartwarming story.

It's on sale for about a quid now

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Getting the timing perfect like that is the hard bit Olly!
Hmm I suppose so! That's why I still suck at shell jumps, I can never get the timing consistent.

I get killed by gumba. A single one. Walking slowly. By itself. With no obstacles around it.
Ah... well in that case maybe don't go trying those levels just yet :lol:

Ainu

Just finished Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. Man, did this game fall apart in the final third or what. It went from an enjoyable if somewhat plodding 7/10 to a nonsensical and ridiculously grindy 5/10 or worse in no time. It's not an uncommon issue for JRPGs but it's particularly bad here.

I had originally planned on checking out Xenoblade Chronicles 2 after this one, but now I'm not so sure. I mostly liked the early and middle parts though. Anyone who played both games and can compare? Without spoilers of course.

JohnZSmith27

Just finished Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. Man, did this game fall apart in the final third or what. It went from an enjoyable if somewhat plodding 7/10 to a nonsensical and ridiculously grindy 5/10 or worse in no time. It's not an uncommon issue for JRPGs but it's particularly bad here.

I had originally planned on checking out Xenoblade Chronicles 2 after this one, but now I'm not so sure. I mostly liked the early and middle parts though. Anyone who played both games and can compare? Without spoilers of course.
I'm like you with regards the first one. I found it to be a slog. The first 40 hours or so weren't too bad but I completely lost interest.

I played Xenoblade 2 first and loved it.

Ainu

I'm like you with regards the first one. I found it to be a slog. The first 40 hours or so weren't too bad but I completely lost interest.

I played Xenoblade 2 first and loved it.
So perhaps I shouldn't give up hope for the second game. Thanks.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
So perhaps I shouldn't give up hope for the second game. Thanks.
Absolutely. Played 2 first, then 1. Xenoblade 1 felt far more grindy right from the start (just thinking about all these pointless side quests..) and it was annoying in no time while it never felt like an issue in 2 where it's mostly enough to do the few side quests you'll get and fight the opponents you regularly run into.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I'll add to the debate that I absolutely hat d both Xenoblade games eventhough JRPGs are like my favorite type of games.

Ainu

I'll add to the debate that I absolutely hat d both Xenoblade games eventhough JRPGs are like my favorite type of games.
I used to really love JRPGs back in the day but played less and less of them from the PS360 era onwards. It felt like the genre was going through a serious slump. Xenoblade looked like it should've been the perfect game for me, but alas.

On a positive note though, I discovered that Octopath Traveler is currently 50% off in the eshop over here! I've found decent Nintendo eshop sales pretty rare so that's a welcome and timely surprise. Played for about an hour and I'm already in love with the visuals and soundtrack.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I used to really love JRPGs back in the day but played less and less of them from the PS360 era onwards. It felt like the genre was going through a serious slump. Xenoblade looked like it should've been the perfect game for me, but alas.

On a positive note though, I discovered that Octopath Traveler is currently 50% off in the eshop over here! I've found decent Nintendo eshop sales pretty rare so that's a welcome and timely surprise. Played for about an hour and I'm already in love with the visuals and soundtrack.
Try Dragon Quest XI S.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

I thought Octopath was great and pretty underrated actually. Enjoy.

luke511

I've just bought Bayonetta non stop climax edition still in its Amazon Japan packaging, nerdiest purchase to date.

I'm thinking with the amount of kids/people playing the switch this year, there'll be a great opportunity to profit from all the nostalgia in 15/20 years' time.

Minkaro

I'm tempted to pre-order, but I remember the original Snap being ridiculously short. Not sure I want to pay full whack if this is similar to that. Might try and rent it though.

Dave_MUFC

Anyone have the 51 Clubhouse Games? I'm thinking to purchase it on the Nintendo sale for me and my missus to play, while at home. Worthy purchase?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I gave up on it tbh. Just didn't grab me at all.
I've gotten quite far into it. I felt like giving up at times but I spent decent money on this so want to complete it.

I'm on floor 11 out of 15 so assume I'm close to completing it.

It looks stunning but the gameplay feels average, not challenging, very repetitive etc.

Is Mario Odyssey like this also? Maybe I've just been spoilt by Hollow Knight...

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I've gotten quite far into it. I felt like giving up at times but I spent decent money on this so want to complete it.

I'm on floor 11 out of 15 so assume I'm close to completing it.

It looks stunning but the gameplay feels average, not challenging, very repetitive etc.

Is Mario Odyssey like this also? Maybe I've just been spoilt by Hollow Knight...
Odyssey was more fun imo. I'm not sure Nintendo do 'challenging' tbh although that wasn't my problem with Luigi.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Odyssey was more fun imo. I'm not sure Nintendo do 'challenging' tbh although that wasn't my problem with Luigi.
I think that's a bit unfair on Odyssey to be honest. The post-game had plenty of challenges.