No title bid expected for 3 years

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
3 years? In football terms, this regime doesn't have the foresight to know what's going to happen in the next 3 months.

DSG

No doubt which also brings about a conflict if it’s purely financial, he doesn’t care as long as he hits increasing revenues.
You just don’t know. Maybe his contract states that he gets a 300% rise if he hits all financial goals AND we win the treble.

I can agree with you on this: he/the club has failed to meet expectations on the pitch. I see this “3 year plan” as the last chance and his performance incentives probably include some milestone targets like CL football, cup wins, point totals in the years we are working towards a legitimate title challenge.

jackal&hyde

If things go to plan, and i believe they will, in 2 years we will be up there. City does need to drop a little as 98..100 points is a monster record that i hope they will not sustain.

fergiesarmy1

If things go to plan, and i believe they will, in 2 years we will be up there. City does need to drop a little as 98..100 points is a monster record that i hope they will not sustain.
Let’s see how we do against Rochdale first :lol:

Stacks

I was having a think about this last night with all the Poch speculation. If Ole is our manager, what gives people confidence he can challenge two killers like Guardiola and Klopp in 3 years time? They are 2 of the worlds best, with obvious managerial attributes that allow them to lift teams and players to perform at higher levels than under different coaches. I dont actually know what Solskjaer is good at yet. He is probably no better than Hodgeson (in fact he has less credentials at this level) so its no more than a huge leap of faith with virtually no rationale. You wouldn't expect Moyes to challenge those two.
Their patient approach means they have being paying attention and are changing strategy since under Van Gaal and Jose, they bought in 2 managers to challenge now and invested a lot of money into new players and it flopped and turned a huge waste so they are trying something new.

fergiesarmy1

How can a team win a title when that team is not scoring goals!?
AIK once won the title with 25 goals in 26 games in Sweden, pretty sure a Turkish team did something similar in the 80s so maybe that’s our plan :nervous:

jackal&hyde

Let’s see how we do against Rochdale first :lol:
:lol: true. I believe in the long term plan as i see the club making the right signings from the first team to the youth levels. It's going to be painful this year but we're going in the right direction i think.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I was having a think about this last night with all the Poch speculation. If Ole is our manager, what gives people confidence he can challenge two killers like Guardiola and Klopp in 3 years time? They are 2 of the worlds best, with obvious managerial attributes that allow them to lift teams and players to perform at higher levels than under different coaches. I dont actually know what Solskjaer is good at yet. He is probably no better than Hodgeson (in fact he has less credentials at this level) so its no more than a huge leap of faith with virtually no rationale. You wouldn't expect Moyes to challenge those two.
Their patient approach means they have being paying attention and are changing strategy since under Van Gaal and Jose, they bought in 2 managers to challenge now and invested a lot of money into new players and it flopped and turned a huge waste so they are trying something new.
None. The concept of rebuild is good. The implementation is non existent. They have done zero idea how Ole will be as a perm manager, they have no tangible progress in their football infrastructure let alone personelle behind the scenes and the scouting system is still a massive feck up. All them scouts and we sign 3 obvious targets. I'm not against obvious targets as all the players this summer are good buys, but we have nothing to show that we our extensive scouting system is put to good use.

Basically the club is completely rotten and anything Woodward says is a pile of horse wank. Our best hope is that Ole turns out to be perfect for us in this rebuild or that we stumble on someone perfect by chance.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Three years as a minimum seems about right. Given how badly we often operate, it could well be longer.

jackal&hyde

Also, espn are a terrible source and drama merchants looking to exploit negativity, just see the "club statement" bs they published yesterdsy.

izzydiggler

Enough people will swallow this ‘3 year plan’ to allow them to continue use to run the club down whilst they get richer.

They’re playing people like a fiddle and yet many will claim patience is required and that posters being negative is what's wrong with the club.

Von Mistelroum

I'd be amazed if we were top 3 material in 3 years considering we're mid table level now.

fergiesarmy1

Enough people will swallow this ‘3 year plan’ to allow them to continue use to run the club down whilst they get richer.

They’re playing people like a fiddle and yet many will claim patience is required and that posters being negative is what's wrong with the club.
On board with this.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

There's a difference between accepting we have a three year plan and accepting that it will be at least three years before we challenge for the title. One is based in hope/faith, the other in grim reality. I suspect more people are on board with the latter than the former.

joedirt87

If Ole's been given a 3 year time frame to rebuild he may as well drop the veterans and go full youth movement. may not have a choice honestly if injuries rack up like they did last year and the start of this one. Maybe 2 or 3 of the kids develop into quality players over that time frame.

Sterling Archer

That's bollocks and is once again a ploy by the glazers to keep rinsing the fans for as long as possible

Chelsea managed to go from just about managing to get champions league football to dominating champions in the space of 12 months. City were the same but over a 24 month period, it can be done when the ambition is there but we have the glazers so I dont expect a title challenge all the time they are here.
Exactly this. If you take away the unpredictability of Champions League, the league can be dominated in a short space of time with the right people running the club.

My issue here is that United aren't a three year project. It's going to go on ten years by that time because the same people running it then as now, are not fit for duty. The fact that Ole of all managers is being given the helm of this rebuild is an exemplifying problem. He is not fit to manage Manchester United now. Simple as that. He has no managerial pedigree and almost 8 months of overseeing the club, has shown absolutely no sort of promise that stands out to me as better than managers in the league with lesser teams. Getting your players to run more is as impressive forcing a star striker to eat salad and lose weight.

If we hired Ole after Sir Alex retired, it might have worked. But now? It's completely bonkers.

izzydiggler

There's a difference between accepting we have a three year plan and accepting that it will be at least three years before we challenge for the title. One is based in hope/faith, the other in grim reality. I suspect more people are on board with the latter than the former.
Semantics- you can call it a plan, setting expectations or whatever but it's still offering a hope a few years down the line to shut people up for a while.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
How is this possible when we are in the top 5 of club with the most money spent on players in the transfer window??

If we just continue the investment we made in defense like we did in the attack and midfield, we should be challenging for the title next year. Of course, we need a better manager, but add three quality players to the midfield and attack and we will have one of the strongest team in Europe.

January: Håland buy then loan him back to RB in good faith.
Eduardo Camivinga
Summer: Fabian Ruiz and Sancho.

Of course lack of champions league might change this plan, but surely this is the way forward and towards getting us back on top of Europe. Alongside a manager like Pochettino

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
If Ole's been given a 3 year time frame to rebuild he may as well drop the veterans and go full youth movement. may not have a choice honestly if injuries rack up like they did last year and the start of this one. Maybe 2 or 3 of the kids develop into quality players over that time frame.
Without a core of quality experienced players, this hardly ever works for anyone.

liamp

Sadly, I pretty much agree with this.

I've seen some folks talking about trusting the process. The extensive use of that phrase comes from American sports, and more specifically from the NBA. "The Process" involved systematically stripping a team bare so that the team could be bad enough to potentially acquire the best odds at selecting young superstars through a player draft. There is literally no applicability to United. There is no player draft and more importantly, there is no salary cap.

We spend 141 million pounds on salary. That's about 30 million more than Liverpool, who we're miles behind and 87 million more than West Ham, who we just lost to. Add to this the billion pounds or so we've spent on transfers the past 6 years. Anyone who says we need 3 years to compete is just lowering the bar and covering for poor management in many areas of our footballing operations. With our financial advantage, there's no reason beyond incompetence that we can't compete sooner.

Le Red

That's bollocks and is once again a ploy by the glazers to keep rinsing the fans for as long as possible

Chelsea managed to go from just about managing to get champions league football to dominating champions in the space of 12 months. City were the same but over a 24 month period, it can be done when the ambition is there but we have the glazers so I dont expect a title challenge all the time they are here.
Exactly. We are not winning the PL with the Glazers in charge. We are closer to being relegated than lifting the trophy again.
And as childish and classless as it may sound, anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.
The fact that so many fans don't realise that made me lose faith. The club could become great again but not with this shitty fanbase.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
You seriously have no chance as long as Guardiola and Klopp are in situ at City and Liverpool unless they somehow implode with internal politics or personal issues.
Both may well have moved on in 3/4 years though and their successors may be like Tito Santana and Bob Paisley or like Wilf McGuiness and Santi Solari.

Le Red

Arsenal also had a plan about 10 years ago and they'll be lucky to win it in 2035.

Glazers and Woodward just buying more time by sacking manager after manager. That's the real plan.
We are the new Arsenal. And fans keep doing the Glazers's bidding. I want to believe we'll be the a top team again but the evidence of the contrary is overwhelming.

wolvored

What can you do though.They are in charge and If you believe the 3 year plan, have virtually guaranteed Ole a job for the next 3 seasons, provided he doesnt get us relegated. Maybe if were still as shit then, then perhaps they will think of selling up.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
What a disgusting attitude (if true). A club of United’s size should be fighting for the title every single season.

Le Red

Capitalism, greed and vanity, nothing new there.
Guy thinks he’s something special.
Bad capitalism though. Capitalism usually requires you to add value to your brand.
The figures might be growing but that's a tide effect, in comparison to other football clubs MUFC heavily lost value.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What a disgusting attitude (if true). A club of United’s size should be fighting for the title every single season.
So do you think it's feasible for us to win the title this year or next?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Difference between saying the manager isn't expected to win the title in the next 3 years and saying that the club isn't going to challenge for one for 3 years. In 3 years for all anyone knows City and Liverpool could both have lost their managers and be shite.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The reality is that City and Liverpool are both extremely strong sides right now, and we will struggle to reach that level while they are in this dominant cycle. Its smart to be looking 2 or 3 seasons ahead. Sort out the financial side, make the right signings and invest in youth.

I don't agree with making that kind of plan public though. It gives this group of players a free pass

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Leaks about Pogba's supposed contract demands, and this statement = preparing us for his sale?