No title bid expected for 3 years

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
It only took Liverpool 1 years once they appointed the right manager. If United appoint Pochettino we will be challenging in one year if United give him a war chest. If we keep Ole, 3 years sounds about right because even the worse manager can compete when he has quality players.

Irwin99

Football does change fairly quickly.
Anyone who remembers that Chelsea team of the early to mid 2000s, would have wondered how they ever stopped dominating. But they did, and fairly quickly.

Roll on a couple of years, Klopp and Pep gone, and us stumbling (you can't see us picking well!) on the "right" manager and who knows!
That's a good point, I thought Chelsea would dominate for years to come after their first two titles under Jose.

The concern for me is the owners and Ed (as usual). When we finished behind City a couple of years back by about 19 points the club needed big investment to bridge the gap and we bought Fred and a youth prospect in Dalot with a net spend of 70 million. It was quite obvious then that trophies weren't the priority.

Alabaster Codify7

One way to stop this slide? Stop spending money on the club. Why the feck would you want to spend £1000 or whatever on a season ticket to watch this kind of football? Go on holiday. Take your kids somewhere life-changing. Take up a new hobby. Re-train in a more lucrative job. There are better things to spend money on, and your free time on, than going to watch a mediocre football team putting on uneventful performances every other week. If you stop going, in 1-2yrs, the entertainment factor might return because the owners will leave. The 'waiting list' won't be happening forever, football tourists go to watch exciting teams that are winning trophies. In 1-2yrs of this crap, on top of what we've seen already since 2013, the Asian tourists will be flocking elsewhere, not to OT.

Dante

Average bang
Not this season and not next season.

I thnk that's reasonable.

Two more Summers of recruitment, followed by a full season of bedding in. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in cloud cuckoo land.

Un4givableB

Let me translate that for you.

Owners: we ain't spending big. Top 4 suits us fine.
This is the truth.

But here's the thing, even with Glazer money plus the right manager(not the joke manager we have now)we could be in with a shout at everything, we were 2nd 2 seasons ago.

The Liverpool and Spurs teams that were in the Champions League final are not that special.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The only way next season title challenge is possible is with perfect recruitment. Although this season was for big gaps, it needs more. If we assume only 50% of our signings will be successful, I think it’s fair to say we’re a good 2 years min, away from a title challenge

Dante

Average bang
Misleading title.

It's 2 years and 8 months away from finishing the season as champions.

But the title bid would acutally start 1 year and 11 months from now.

minoo-utd

Owners ambitions say it all. Top four is good and suit them. Title? We can't say 3 4 or 5 seasons because it should be a reasonable start by the club to go that way but till now we have not started anything or there's no plan at all neither obvious structure what the club need to do to challenge for the title in the upcoming years.

passing-wind

Solskjaer has no consistency in his game which is exemplified why we lose / struggle to teams we should be thrashing. I cannot see Manchester United competing for a league in any period under Solskjaer unless the standards of the league dramatically drop.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Will be 10 years without a title if we do win it in 3 years.

izzydiggler

I think we’ve gone way past the point of our peak where our base structure and squad meant we were never too far from a title challenge.

So we’re basically hoping for a miracle of an incredible manager, a very unlikely top class crop of youngsters or the owners willing to throw absolute fortunes at players.

I suspect the Glazers have realised that as spending huge fortunes doesn’t guarantee success and that as long as the merch is selling and the stadium full, why bother pushing it. So we’re basically left with the long-shot hope of great youngsters or a miracle manager, both of which are incredibly unlikely.

3 years is incredibly optimistic unless things change drastically but ultimately it’s getting further and further from being a realistic proposition. We’re miles off.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
:lol:
"Come join Manchester United where our objective is to win... Well like, not now, but in 3 years."

What a clown of a club. How do good players actually take them seriously? Pogba, DDG, Martial need to hop on the next plane out

Roboc7

It shouldn’t but it might take 3 years to finish in top 4 again, a title challenge will take much longer.

Reality is there is no ambition at the club, there is no proper structure and no plan other than buy expensive British players. This club will only be successful again by chance or by an acceptance there needs to be fundamental change.

Owners are just crossing fingers it all works out this season and we scrape into top 4 to keep cash coming in.

humdinger

If we really think we aren’t even going to challenge for the title for another 3 years that’s incredibly unambitious. And doesn’t send a good message to players or fans.

Maybe it’s meant to alleviate pressure but the risk is people become demotivated and disinterested.

Hughes35

I'd bite your hand off if you were to offer the title in 3 years tbh.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
3 years would be far too optimistic. There's no way we could catch up with City and Liverpool as long as Guardiola and Klopp are still there.

Bestietom

How anyone can say we will win title in 3 years from now amazes me. Do they think that everyone else is just going to lie down and hand us the title then.
Liverpool and City will continue challenging for honours even after Klopp and Pep are gone. Chelsea will buy big when the ban is lifted next summer. Arsenal and Spurs will keep improving, and are less players away from glory that we are.
Other teams will improve, because they will invest the big monies they get from Sky into their teams. We will most likely continue putting money into the Glazers pockets, and 100million a year into the team. We don't have any plan for the future except that top 4 is good enough with these and Woody in charge, No matter who the manager is.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
United are so big the fans will not allow a 3 year wait. Ole being out-thought by lesser managers will not be allowed to go on. The comparisons with Chelsea with be more prevalent and Frank achieving what Ole cant... I honestly think he may go in October/November unless things turn around soon. Even more relevant is the share price isn't it? I mean that going down in relation to the results on the pitch will also be a factor in the boardroom decision making.

Maticmaker

If we really think we aren’t even going to challenge for the title for another 3 years that’s incredibly unambitious. And doesn’t send a good message to players or fans.

Maybe it’s meant to alleviate pressure but the risk is people become demotivated and disinterested.
TBH I think its the truth. Ole has already (in my opinion) given up trying to influence the players he inherited, he is now only interested in the players he can 'reach' so to speak. That includes mostly the young kids coming through, but may also include some stalwarts like Young and Jones to give experience and of course those players he's brought in himself, Maguire /AWB/James.

I suspect Ed will give Ole his head, he will not be expecting him to look for any more (Star names) to bring on board (there goes the profit on shirt sales!!) and so it will be a slow climb. The key will be improvement, there has to be recognisable improvement, not just in results (a given) but also in performances.

This will of course p***- off many fans but hey when is there not a section of our supporters who are 'p***ed-off' already?

Denis' cuff

One way to stop this slide? Stop spending money on the club. Why the feck would you want to spend £1000 or whatever on a season ticket to watch this kind of football? Go on holiday. Take your kids somewhere life-changing. Take up a new hobby. Re-train in a more lucrative job. There are better things to spend money on, and your free time on, than going to watch a mediocre football team putting on uneventful performances every other week. If you stop going, in 1-2yrs, the entertainment factor might return because the owners will leave. The 'waiting list' won't be happening forever, football tourists go to watch exciting teams that are winning trophies. In 1-2yrs of this crap, on top of what we've seen already since 2013, the Asian tourists will be flocking elsewhere, not to OT.

Yep. Until the owners feck off and we get some football people back into the club, all you’re doing is making the Glazers wealthier. United as a football club is currently non-existent. feck em.

3 years my arse :lol:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Fans always give it this, but it's really not that simple.

The majority of the money comes from sponsorship, which we've already seen has no link to actual success, and the tv deals. The tv deals are funded by all fans, not just ours.

The percentage of money from the match day goes down and down each year. And it's be a stretch to ever see fans boycotting to a level that made anyone notice.
If Manchester United fans stopped watching Sky, they would stop showing the games. That would hurt. That would trash the sponsorship deals.

So what about the CL? It amazes me we never hear any talk of us competeting for CL, that should be top of the list too.

glazed

It only took Liverpool 1 years once they appointed the right manager. If United appoint Pochettino we will be challenging in one year if United give him a war chest.
Klopp came because he saw a good canvas. Same with Pep and City. Both could have gone to us and decided against it because they saw it was a bad canvas.

Poch is not as good as those two, and he would be either greedy for money or a fool to come here without the needed structural reforms in place first for at least one or two seasons.

In my opinion the Glazers will run the club into the ground and then sell in the not too distant future. It's clear that they won't invest or plan on the scale required to make us a proper footballing force again. My main worry is who they sell to.

Jimmy_Bond

The club has the finances to appoint a top manager and spend £200m next summer and be challenging IMMEDIATELY.

Very frustrating.

RedDevil@84

If United appoint Pochettino we will be challenging in one year if United give him a war chest
Not gonna happen. It doesn't matter if United have a warchest or not. Woodward and his team of negotiators are so brilliantly incompetent that we would end up signing average players and that too only in a few positions every summer. Our negotiation largely relies on throwing a lot of money and hoping they would accept it.

Alabaster Codify7

3 years would be far too optimistic. There's no way we could catch up with City and Liverpool as long as Guardiola and Klopp are still there.

It'll be more like 5-10 to be honest. City and Liverpool have ambition, they will continue to strengthen and improve each summer.

Enigma_87

You know who
We could be 6 points off top 4 and hosting Pool in two games.

In current form we could easily end up double digits off the CL places until the end of October.

Talking about mounting a title bid is hilarious.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Not gonna happen. It doesn't matter if United have a warchest or not. Woodward and his team of negotiators are so brilliantly incompetent that we would end up signing average players and that too only in a few positions every summer. Our negotiation largely relies on throwing a lot of money and hoping they would accept it.
If Pochettino can get valuables players at Spurs, he can get valuable players at United. Even Ole did well improving our defense significantly last window. All Pochettino would need to do is improve our midfield and attack next summer. I believe when Poch comes in, he will have more of an influence toward who comes in. For example with N’Dombele at Spurs and how Frankie De Jong(one of the best young midfielder in the world), stated how he would have came to Spurs because of Pochettino record in developing youth players. Pochettino at United will have similar influence and attracting top talent won’t be as difficult.

Klopp came because he saw a good canvas. Same with Pep and City. Both could have gone to us and decided against it because they saw it was a bad canvas.

Poch is not as good as those two, and he would be either greedy for money or a fool to come here without the needed structural reforms in place first for at least one or two seasons.

In my opinion the Glazers will run the club into the ground and then sell in the not too distant future. It's clear that they won't invest or plan on the scale required to make us a proper footballing force again. My main worry is who they sell to.
I am surprised that our fans can’t see that at United we have an excellent canvas as well. Even moreso than what Klopp had when he took over Liverpool. We have a very young talented squad, a world class keeper, the most expensive centerback, the best defensive rightback, and the most valuable midfielder in the world. Any good manager will be able to develop and make something out of this squad with a few more additions.

Poch is as good as those two other managers. He just hasn’t gotten the resource to showcase that. I m not sure that I agree with you about the glazers. We are still one of the biggest spenders in Europe post Sir Alex. So we are being backed by them, but the investment has been poor.

Infra-red

I'd bite your hand off if you were to offer the title in 3 years tbh.
This. I don't know why anyone expects us to suddenly start competing for titles in two or three years time. Everything indicates that 'top 4 challenge' is par for the course for United now - there's no reason to expect/hope that the 2021/22 season will bring anything other than another 4th-7th place finish.

glazed

I am surprised that our fans can’t see that at United we have an excellent canvas as well. Even moreso than what Klopp had when he took over Liverpool. We have a very young talented squad, a world class keeper, the most expensive centerback, the best defensive rightback, and the most valuable midfielder in the world. Any good manager will be able to develop and make something out of this squad with a few more additions.
But we have an incoherent club structure. We make bad signings. We demoralize players. We don't look like we care about winning stuff as long as the cash flows. We have lots of points of light but they don't form an image. That's what Klopp saw when he turned us down. A tacky mess that thought it was Disneyland.

Redpimp

I think what the club actually agreed was no title bid for 3 years + 1 as it is common practice from Ed these days..

RedDevil@84

I believe when Poch comes in, he will have more of an influence toward who comes in
Why would Woodward give him more influence than what he gave to LvG or Jose? I don't see how Poch would have any better say in the club than any other manager. In the end Poch can only give Woodward names, he cant do the negotiations.

Steven-UK

Oh give up with this Poch nonsense. This isn't the cartoon section of 'shoot' magazine. We all need a reality check, our once-fine club is in chaos.

As long as we are putting vastly overrated players on superstar contracts like Rashford, and who are leading the line for us, you could probably add 10 years to that expectation.

Times have changed folks, nobody fears us anymore, or even cares that they are coming to OT. We are beatable by anybody, and it is going to take HUGE changes to get anywhere near to our previous achievements.

This is the worst United team we have had for a generation.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think we’ve gone way past the point of our peak where our base structure and squad meant we were never too far from a title challenge.

So we’re basically hoping for a miracle of an incredible manager, a very unlikely top class crop of youngsters or the owners willing to throw absolute fortunes at players.

I suspect the Glazers have realised that as spending huge fortunes doesn’t guarantee success and that as long as the merch is selling and the stadium full, why bother pushing it. So we’re basically left with the long-shot hope of great youngsters or a miracle manager, both of which are incredibly unlikely.

3 years is incredibly optimistic unless things change drastically but ultimately it’s getting further and further from being a realistic proposition. We’re miles off.
Yeah. I suspect the Glazers will do the minimum ; Have us challenging for 4th, while raking in their profits.

If I was owner of a sporting franchise in a sport I don't care about, say NY Yankees, I won't be too bothered if they didn't win the World Series or whatever it is, as long as I am making money.

They are the problem. At least with Roman when he first came to Chelsea, he really wanted to Chelsea to do well and be one of the top football clubs in Europe.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Yet Ed takes a 60% pay increase last year, confirmation that football is secondary to the owners and board.
I was not aware of this, but if true it confirms why he was so tight in Summer 2018. He wanted to get his bonus and show the Glazers that he could save money....which he did.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
How can a team win a title when that team is not scoring goals!?
Correct. But you have optimists who believe that we can challenge within 3 years...or even 2!

If things go to plan, and i believe they will, in 2 years we will be up there. City does need to drop a little as 98..100 points is a monster record that i hope they will not sustain.
Given the gullible nature of some people, I thought I'd give this a go....I have a time share deal which you may be interested in. It pays 300% in returns, but to see the details of the investment, you'll need to front me a non-refundable fee of £10k. If you have any family members interested, please inform them, as I am happy to strip them of their money, too.

For obvious reasons, I do prefer my customers to be gullible though, so please make sure that they too, believe that MUFC will be challenging in 2 years. ;)

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It does seem like a change of culture is happening inside the club. Not sure it's the right one tbf.
There is certainly a change of culture. Specifically, standards are being lowered and the fans are complicit with this, too.
in 2014-2018, 11th place would've been unacceptable and most fans would call for drastic change and firings.
In Sept 2019, it is perfectly acceptable, because we are "building for the future" or waiting for next Summer when we can work on our fitness (or any other ridiculous reason, which some fans use to justify failure).