Noble carrying herrera off the pitch

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It is squaring up. You're asking our players to square up to the opposition more often as if that's going to make us a better football team.

What your big gripe is that you think our players aren't trying hard enough to win games. That's something totally different, and is not going to be improved by a bunch of meatheads exercising their bravado.
I'm saying I think it's all related. I'm definitely not saying I think squaring up will make us a better football team :lol:

You feel like the squad is united but you don't feel like they'd really scrap and fight for each other sometimes. That's not just in an aggressive sense but also in a footballing sense - we just seem to roll over. Maybe it's the personnel or just the general atmosphere around the club at the minute.
This is what I'm saying.

montpelier

I don't see anyone saying that Noble was being a good guy. Just that it isn't worth getting VERY worked up about.

Refs on Saturday might have to say ''saving on stretcher wear & tear IS a yellow, lads''

Hardly the end of the world, either.

Tactically, Noble was trying to heat the game up, so I will argue that not getting involved was right (we were winning)

Dominos

Do you think all unwanted physical contact on a football pitch is battery/assault? Almost all physical contact on a football pitch is unwanted anyway.

As for "what if someone did that on the street"? I'd be pissed off. Just as I would if someone pulled my shirt or tackled me.
Quite ridiculous argument. Manhandling injured players off the pitch while the ball isn't even in play is not part of the sport, the physical contact is not even slightly justified by it being on a football pitch in the way tackling to win the ball is.

It's like one of those situations where you wish you'd said or done something at the time but all you can do is stew on it after the event... and I wasn't even involved.

You feel like the squad is united but you don't feel like they'd really scrap and fight for each other sometimes. That's not just in an aggressive sense but also in a footballing sense - we just seem to roll over. Maybe it's the personnel or just the general atmosphere around the club at the minute.
If that's the case then it's the footballing sense that should be being focused on, you know, the stuff that actually effects our results. I'd say crowding round Mark Noble telling him he's a dick isn't going to effect our results.

I'm saying I think it's all related. I'm definitely not saying I think squaring up will make us a better football team :lol:
I don't think it's related.

Our problem is we don't create chances and therefore don't score goals. If that's down to "fight" then fair enough, but I don't see the connection between threatening Mark Noble and scoring more goals, personally.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Was Herrera's yellow card before or after this incident? If before he did well not to react

nevillestache

If that's the case then it's the footballing sense that should be being focused on, you know, the stuff that actually effects our results. I'd say crowding round Mark Noble telling him he's a dick isn't going to effect our results.
Of course it's not going to have any affect on results but fans want the team to show some passion, whether it be sticking up for a team mate or battling it out for a last minute winner.

That's what many of the posters in here are asking for, you know, how it used to be.

Even under Fergie we played some dull football but a dull 1-0 with a last minute goal was still talked about with excitement at work the next day. Same goes for stuff like Tevez and Rafael in the derby or other heated moments.

Zen

I'd guess it saved them a whopping 3-5 seconds. Worth the hurrah over it.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Incredible restraint from Herrera. I'd have smashed that cnuts face in for putting his hands on me.

No player should ever play judge, jury and executioner. Herrera may have been feigning injury, but what if he wasn't? Picking him up and then plonking him back down on the sideline could have turned a simple sprain into a tear etc.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Was pretty funny. Well worth a few United fan's ire.
West Ham players kept going down like a sack of shit most of the time and Noble himself went down far too easily. It's a daft move and if Diego Costa has done it, you'd know that the FA will throw the book at him. I won't put it past him to try it now as there's a precedent.

Dominos

Of course it's not going to have any affect on results but fans want the team to show some passion, whether it be sticking up for a team mate or battling it out for a last minute winner.

That's what many of the posters in here are asking for, you know, how it used to be.

Even under Fergie we played some dull football but a dull 1-0 with a last minute goal was still talked about with excitement at work the next day. Same goes for stuff like Tevez and Rafael in the derby or other heated moments.
I don't think the players are obligated to start squaring up to the opposition more often because some strange fans get a thrill out of seeing 2 grown men shoving each other like a pair of school children.

How we're even putting it into the same category as trying to get a last minute winner I've no idea. If our players aren't passionate enough to try win a game by scoring a goal then we probably do a have genuine grievance with the team there.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I found it quite amusing, to be honest. I also thought it was funny when he did it with one of his own team mates earlier this season as well.

nevillestache

I don't think the players are obligated to start squaring up to the opposition more often because some strange fans get a thrill out of seeing 2 grown men shoving each other like a pair of school children.

How we're even putting it into the same category as trying to get a last minute winner I've no idea. If our players aren't passionate enough to try win a game by scoring a goal then we probably do a have genuine grievance with the team there.
Fans like to see passion and aggression no matter what sport they watch, whether it's football, rugby, tennis, motor sport etc. - nobody is asking for people to start fighting and it isn't to say fans don't get the same thrill from watching something that requires skill and technique.

We're asking for excitement and a bit of oomph about our players, which very few are delivering.

Anyway, I'm not carrying on about it, all I know is I've been most excited watching United when we've delivered both aggression on the pitch and skill and technique. We seem to have the latter two but very little of the former.

wr8_utd

:'(
I have no idea why so many posters are so pissed off about it. I find this vine really funny :lol:

Sigma

:lol: At the reaction in this thread. Nothing wrong with that, Herrera clearly wasn't seriously injured.

POF

We have no strong personalities in our team, no way this shit would have happened with Rio or Vidic around.
Rio? He would have been too busy braiding his hair.

I agree with the general theme of this thread. The current United team is incredibly soft and lacks character. It's sad to see as the strong character in the team under Fergie was more symptomatic of "the United way" than attacking football and playing young players.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Incredible restraint from Herrera. I'd have smashed that cnuts face in for putting his hands on me.

No player should ever play judge, jury and executioner. Herrera may have been feigning injury, but what if he wasn't? Picking him up and then plonking him back down on the sideline could have turned a simple sprain into a tear etc.
This for me, Noble simply had no right to do this, it may have ended harmless enough but could have gone horribly wrong. Ref was a total bottle job.

Dominos

:lol: At the reaction in this thread. Nothing wrong with that, Herrera clearly wasn't seriously injured.
Clearly because you say so.

The fact that he's just come off a collision, has been on the ground, had the physio called on, and is hobbling off the pitch, means it's fairly possible he's injured. The fact Sigma from the internet thinks he knows for a fact he can't possibly be injured seriously enough to not carry him around and dump him back on the floor doesn't mean Noble has to right to manhandle him.

Even we assume he was faking, you can't go around ragdolling people against their will, keep your fecking hands to yourself.

Sigma

The fact that he's just come off a collision, has been on the ground, had the physio called on, and is hobbling off the pitch, means it's fairly possible he's injured. The fact Sigma from the internet thinks he knows for a fact he can't possibly be injured seriously enough to not carry him around and dump him back on the floor doesn't mean Noble has to right to manhandle him.

Even we assume he was faking, you can't go around ragdolling people against their will, keep your fecking hands to yourself.
Your getting your nickers in a twist for nothing, Herrera clearly wasn't bothered by it. Lighten up.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
That was a shitty thing to do. He could've aggravated a potential injury with the way he dropped him and meant Herrera missed a few games as a result.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Rio? He would have been too busy braiding his hair.

I agree with the general theme of this thread. The current United team is incredibly soft and lacks character. It's sad to see as the strong character in the team under Fergie was more symptomatic of "the United way" than attacking football and playing young players.
Rio stood up for our players plenty of times and it's more noticeable when you'reat Old Trafford. I remember when we beat Liverpool in OT in 2013 after the whole Suarez/Evra debacle and Bellamy went and had a go at the twins for "over celebrating" in front of the West stand. Rio was having none of it.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Not that he would have dared but, can you imagine Noble pulling that stunt on Roy Keane back in the day!? It would have been something to behold

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not that he would have dared but, can you imagine Noble pulling that stunt on Roy Keane back in the day!? It would have been something to behold
He wouldn't have even dared to look at Roy Keane never mind anything else. Noble isn't fit to breath the same air as Roy Keane.

Charlie Foley

Unwanted physical contact comes under battery/assault does it not?
Do you think all unwanted physical contact on a football pitch is battery/assault? Almost all physical contact on a football pitch is unwanted anyway.

As for "what if someone did that on the street"? I'd be pissed off. Just as I would if someone pulled my shirt or tackled me.
When a player steps onto a field to play a game there's a presumed consent to 'jostling' and other such physical activity which would be inappropriate 'in the street'. Courts will be very deferential towards the rule of the sport in question and the game's relevant authorities to handle the situation. (R v Donovan )It has to be pretty outrageous, like Duncan Ferguson, for the court to step in(An example where they did being R v Billinghurst ) . They've been criticized by some by basically delegating responsibility but others say it's common sense.

That's why 'I'd be arrested if I did that on the street' makes no sense. Bizarrely no one ever says that about boxing.

Someone

Something

Never underestimate the powers of Sigma from the internet the wise.

iKeano

It infuriated me.

I like Herrera, think he's a quality addition to our midfield & he should definitely be a starter, but he's too soft. The whole Noble debacle underlined a point I've been making for ages... there's no venom in Utd. Everyone is too nice. Imagine Noble had tried that with Keane on the pitch? You think Vidic or Rio would have stood for that? Can you see Cantona being cool with it? I'm not condoning violence on the pitch, but sometimes it builds team morale knowing that your team-mate has your back. Any time this year there's been an altercation this past few seasons, Utd players stand around like they've just walked in on their parents shagging.... not knowing where to look, awkwardly wishing the ground would swallow them up, wishing they were anywhere else but right there, right then. No one there grabs the game or situation by the scruff of the neck and says "You do that to one of us, you do it to all of us", no one has staked their claim at OT in the past 2/3 seasons making a statement like "this is our house, we won't stand for that here!".

Our 'Fearless leader' spends his time berating the referee & avoiding conflict (and the ball) as much as possible. In a team full of kids, you want the senior players to have their back at every bad tackle or nasty foul... with Utd, there's nothing. They're left picking themselves up and wondering why they're all alone out there.
For Herrera to accept being humiliated & his team-mates to stand on unaffected, is a disgrace. Paddy Crerand - a 77 year old man - commented that had Noble tried that on him, Noble would have been the one carried off. That's what a team sport is about & that's what Man Utd should be about. Instead, we have a team made up of young talent & leaderless 'senior' players who are happy to grab their ankles at any chance and take what's coming, so long as they're safe at home in their Cheshire mansions. Hererra et al need to grow some b4lls and ignite the fire in their bellies that's been missing for a long long time.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It infuriated me.

I like Herrera, think he's a quality addition to our midfield & he should definitely be a starter, but he's too soft. The whole Noble debacle underlined a point I've been making for ages... there's no venom in Utd. Everyone is too nice. Imagine Noble had tried that with Keane on the pitch? You think Vidic or Rio would have stood for that? Can you see Cantona being cool with it? I'm not condoning violence on the pitch, but sometimes it builds team morale knowing that your team-mate has your back. Any time this year there's been an altercation this past few seasons, Utd players stand around like they've just walked in on their parents shagging.... not knowing where to look, awkwardly wishing the ground would swallow them up, wishing they were anywhere else but right there, right then. No one there grabs the game or situation by the scruff of the neck and says "You do that to one of us, you do it to all of us", no one has staked their claim at OT in the past 2/3 seasons making a statement like "this is our house, we won't stand for that here!".

Our 'Fearless leader' spends his time berating the referee & avoiding conflict (and the ball) as much as possible. In a team full of kids, you want the senior players to have their back at every bad tackle or nasty foul... with Utd, there's nothing. They're left picking themselves up and wondering why they're all alone out there.
For Herrera to accept being humiliated & his team-mates to stand on unaffected, is a disgrace. Paddy Crerand - a 77 year old man - commented that had Noble tried that on him, Noble would have been the one carried off. That's what a team sport is about & that's what Man Utd should be about. Instead, we have a team made up of young talent & leaderless 'senior' players who are happy to grab their ankles at any chance and take what's coming, so long as they're safe at home in their Cheshire mansions. Hererra et al need to grow some b4lls and ignite the fire in their bellies that's been missing for a long long time.

Ander Herrera,injured in the win at West Ham, is facing a lengthy lay-off. Van Gaal said: “At this moment I don’t know. The diagnosis has yet to come. It is better to do that after two days. It’s not so happy, we think, but we will have to wait and see.”
If Noble has made his injury worse I hope someone sorts him out the next time we meet.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Ander Herrera,injured in the win at West Ham, is facing a lengthy lay-off. Van Gaal said: “At this moment I don’t know. The diagnosis has yet to come. It is better to do that after two days. It’s not so happy, we think, but we will have to wait and see.”
If Noble has made his injury worse I hope someone sorts him out the next time we meet.
Don't hold your breath as our team seem to be a bunch of cowards.