Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
By that logic every big club in world football is paranoid and afraid by not giving players release clauses (or making them unfeasibly high as the Spanish clubs have to do).

The fact that he wants a release clause in the first place is an indication that he doesn't want to be around long term and that you're a stepping stone.
If the player is treated well, and the club can match his financial demand and his ambition for trophies, they won't leave. Otherwise they will push to leave with or without release clause or run down their contract.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
If the player is treated well, and the club can match his financial demand and his ambition for trophies, they won't leave. Otherwise they will push to leave with or without release clause or run down their contract.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
If the player is treated well, and the club can match his financial demand and his ambition for trophies, they won't leave.
There is a saying in business: "You can reserve your faith for church".

Beyond that, hoping for something is a fools errand.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He wanted to leave the shadow of messi back then and be the main man for his team. He will leave with or without release clause. It is just a matter of when. Why force a player to stay when he no longer wants to stay. Just move on.

V.O.

He wanted to leave the shadow of messi back then and be the main man for his team. He will leave with or without release clause. It is just a matter of when. Why force a player to stay when he no longer wants to stay. Just move on.
I think the oil state plying him with canyons full of money might also have had something to do with it.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I think the oil state plying him with canyons full of money might also have had something to do with it.
Maybe. Then it is the financial demand. There is no point to force a player to stay. Take the money and find a hungry player wants to play for the club.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Goal scoring in Bundesliga means nothing, every game seems to finish 4-3.

A long shot but hopefully he ends up being another Haller or Joelinton.
Id be more concerned about the Champions League goal scoring record which is the same as Bundesliga.

I hate this so much. On one hand this is the only generational player Norway has only had so I just cant help being hyped about that. On the other hand this is the absolute worst transfer destination that could have possibly happened and Im just so unhappy about all of this.

matt10000

Every club is buying success unless all the players are from academy.
I think you have missed the point completely (or conveniently)

There is a huge difference between generating revenue based on footballing success and then spending that on players to build on that footballing successes and being a crap team with no footballing success and buying players with money that has no connection with football to simply buy success that wasn’t there

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I think you have missed the point completely (or conveniently)

There is a huge difference between generating revenue based on footballing success and then spending that on players to build on that footballing successes and being a crap team with no footballing success and buying players with money that has no connection with football.
Outside investment is necessary to break the monopoly of the traditional big club in the league. I can understand the traditional big clubs do not like the challenge. The wages and transfer fee spent by City and Chelsea are not greater than Man United for the past 10 years. In the initial stage big investment is needed to improve the quality of these 2 teams. Newcastle will do the same.

Jezpeza

Id be more concerned about the Champions League goal scoring record which is the same as Bundesliga.

I hate this so much. On one hand this is the only generational player Norway has only had so I just cant help being hyped about that. On the other hand this is the absolute worst transfer destination that could have possibly happened and Im just so unhappy about all of this.
One of the lads on the podcast made a good point the other day - Man City will have Jesus, Haaland, Sterling, SIlva, De Brunye, Grealish, Mahrez Alvarez. But they cant get them all on the pitch. They get 90 plus points a season anyway and win lots of the Domestic cups. How much better does he make them? Unless he somehow gets them to 38 league wins then its not really a doomsday and i dont see that he will make them ‘better’. I’d be more worried if he was going to chelsea or arsenal

Oranges038

Yeah, we can only hope he's a massive flop on the pitch, in training, in the bedroom, just everywhere really.

On the bright side it now gives Utd a free run at Kane ;)

V.O.

One of the lads on the podcast made a good point the other day - Man City will have Jesus, Haaland, Sterling, SIlva, De Brunye, Grealish, Mahrez Alvarez. But they cant get them all on the pitch. They get 90 plus points a season anyway and win lots of the Domestic cups. How much better does he make them? Unless he somehow gets them to 38 league wins then its not really a doomsday and i dont see that he will make them ‘better’. I’d be more worried if he was going to chelsea or arsenal
The other relative 'bright side' is that it doesn't seem like a Guardiola signing at all, to the point where along with the Grealish signing, it looks as though they're preparing for life after Pep and starting to go with a more 'galactico' type transfer approach.

If that's the case, I can't see them having the success with that going forward that they've had with the array of interchangeable techno midgets they've been bringing in up to now.

mu4c_20le

Outside investment is necessary to break the monopoly of the traditional big club in the league. I can understand the traditional big clubs do not like the challenge. The wages and transfer fee spent by City and Chelsea are not greater than Man United for the past 10 years. In the initial stage big investment is needed to improve the quality of these 2 teams. Newcastle will do the same.
Nothing to do with the challenge, and you are completely missing the point once again. They won a lottery ticket for their success. Simple as that.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
The other relative 'bright side' is that it doesn't seem like a Guardiola signing at all, to the point where along with the Grealish signing, it looks as though they're preparing for life after Pep and starting to go with a more 'galactico' type transfer approach.

If that's the case, I can't see them having the success with that going forward that they've had with the array of interchangeable techno midgets they've been bringing in up to now.
Good sources indicate that Pep has signed another extension, and it will be announced this week

GlasgowCeltic

Would’ve gone to Real but didn’t back himself to usurp Benzema, shit mentality. Expect he’ll end up there eventually, unless he’s equally nervous about playing with Mbappe

FerociousCorgis

i mean i dont follow much of city because feck em, but seems like sterling is gone after this season, and really have never been all that impressed with jesus whenever i do watch them. KdB seems to play much deeper, and grealish and mahrez are wide players vs Haaland as a CF type.

Jezpeza

i mean i dont follow much of city because feck em, but seems like sterling is gone after this season, and really have never been all that impressed with jesus whenever i do watch them. KdB seems to play much deeper, and grealish and mahrez are wide players vs Haaland as a CF type.
yeah i think there could be movement but my point is still that you only get so many attackers on the pitch. Obviously good for squad depth but i dont think his signing for them is going to gain them the 20 odd points it would gain chelsea or arsenal. Or us if you were outside looking in

FerociousCorgis

yeah i think there could be movement but my point is still that you only get so many attackers on the pitch. Obviously good for squad depth but i dont think his signing for them is going to gain them the 20 odd points it would gain chelsea or arsenal. Or us if you were outside looking in
well i mean we a team is already in the 90s point wise only so much room. For me if haaland fits as well as i would think he would think this is huge for city. CF is one of their weak spots i feel, and this should undoubtedly help them.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
It must be so exciting to buy success rather than earn it.

Utd, Liverpool even Nottingham Forest in their time (Trevor Frances) all bought the best players because of their successes on the pitch.

The likes of Blackburn, Chelsea, City just bought success when their teams were crap………They didn’t win league after league and build on it like Liverpool and UTD, they didn’t get promotion to top flight win the league and Europe twice like Forest, they didn’t come from old fourth division all the way to top flight in 4 years like Watford…….no they all did absolutely sweet fa and were converted from crap with money that had nothing to with football. It’s sad and shameful.

I have played football manager on cheat mode and it gets boring very quickly and any success doesn’t feel like success just what is expected.
His release clause is very close to what we got from Barcelona for Ferran Torres and he's a boyhood blue. Good story I think.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
As with Jurgen Klopp, I'm seriously surprised City were the only club after him. I expected a real auction for his signature.

Irwin99

Yeah, we can only hope he's a massive flop on the pitch, in training, in the bedroom, just everywhere really.

On the bright side it now gives Utd a free run at Kane ;)
Oh god, I never thought about about that. He's ...pretty much doomed to Spurs now with that price tag I think. United and Chelsea won't cough up 100 million for him and I doubt many other big clubs will want to pay the expected fee.

Poor Harry ...you had one chance of freedom and it left you behind :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
As with Jurgen Klopp, I'm seriously surprised City were the only club after him. I expected a real auction for his signature.
I have zero doubts plenty of clubs were in for him, I imagine City did the groundwork very early.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
City don’t mess about, getting there business done early. We should take a leaf out of there book… if they don’t win the CL next season though pep has to be sacked. They’d probs be in the final this season if they spent 100 mil on a striker instead of grealish to be honest.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I do get your point but I think this is still a really shit situation.

United aren’t competing for a few years at a minimum. But the ambition should be to be competitive in 3 years, or around that.

As an example, Pogba (assuming he lights it up and ignoring that i want him gone any way possible) going there wouldn’t bother me because the time period he’s likely to be excellent will probably be in that period we rebuild.

With Haaland, if he excels, he gives them a quality striker for the next decade and that then directly impacts our chances to win by the time (and if) we do get competitive.

I get he would earn both Chelsea and Arsenal more points right now, but I’d argue that I’m not that fussed how we compete in the next couple years whilst we build and change (as long as that proper change is happening) so I am not worried about points impact in the short term. And a point more in the 90s is more valuable than a point in the 70s too.

Edinburgh

Supports
Man City
I wonder why other teams weren't involved at that cheap... likes of Real Madrid, Barca, Juve etc... if they were in for him as well you have to wonder the wage package offered by city must be enormous.
Why? Perhaps it is because Man City are debatably one of if not the best team in the world and playing in the best league. The wage bill is clearly within City structure (from all reports the same as Jason Sancho). People need to understand this is 2022 and not 2002. Haaland will have been attracted at playing in probably the best league in the world and for a team who (given the amount of chances created) will probably give him the best chance to shine. The fact that Barca/Madrid/Juve might have perceived more successful histories is utterly irrelevant. City have been a top team for ten years. Haaland is 21. For almost all his life he has known City at the top table

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Nothing to do with the challenge, and you are completely missing the point once again. They won a lottery ticket for their success. Simple as that.
Every club has at one point or the other 'won the lottery' in some way or the other.
Crystal Palace are located in a highly desirable city to live in. So how does a Hull City attract players? With money.
When a Southampton does well, they are raided for players by larger clubs. How do they ever get to build a great squad and rival United? With money.
And what sponsor will pay big money to Hull City or Southampton when they are not successful? Its a vicious cycle.
Without external support, Hull City and Southampton fans can never dream of winning anything big ... and that's unfair.

I don't really want to support oil clubs but will United & Liverpool accept any policy to increase competitiveness - national draft, limited number of non-home grown players, etc.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
His release clause is very close to what we got from Barcelona for Ferran Torres and he's a boyhood blue. Good story I think.
Sure :lol: I'm sure the City mouthpieces will try to spin in that way, I can't wait to hear Balague on the Euro Leagues podcast put a romantic spin on it.

And we all know that's why he went there. For the charm and history of the club.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Would have control over making a profit at worst and I'm sure he'd have agreed to only be sold abroad.

Basically the fear is that we couldn't match his ambition so therefore don't even risk buying him. I'd say we proved his decision to not join us to be the correct one anyway.
Dortmund have literally said he'd of signed for us had we agreed to the release clause

Sinbad the sailor

Supports
Football
It'll go one of two ways:

He'll come to the Premier League and smash it completely or
He'll come to the Premier League and struggle big time.

We've seen it happen quite a few times when great players come to the Premier League and struggle/fail. Personally i think he'll do fine though.
He's not gonna struggle. He's gonna smash teams left, right and center. He's a very dynamic player unlike Ibra who likes to stay around the box. Haaland has so much to his arsenal. Its gonna take two CBS to stop him and that'll mean more space for all of city's creative players.

diarm

Lots of clubs were in for him. Lots of clubs don't own oil states through which they can funnel hidden wages.

croadyman

My point was that you find it more sickening that we have spent 150 million on Grealish and Haaland than you spending 165 million on Pogba and Lukaku over five years previously (not to even mention Maguire). I didn't think that one was too difficult to work out.
Can we ban this one as well for rubbing salt in the wounds, finding this hard to stomach as it is

croadyman

United fans so paranoid and afraid of City. Bit sad.

I'd rather have a good player in the hopes it improves us than worry about what if he wants to leave in a few seasons cause we are shite.
Well you aren't helping mine and many people's moods by reminding us constantly we would have signed him had we agreed to release clause

croadyman

Why? Perhaps it is because Man City are debatably one of if not the best team in the world and playing in the best league. The wage bill is clearly within City structure (from all reports the same as Jason Sancho). People need to understand this is 2022 and not 2002. Haaland will have been attracted at playing in probably the best league in the world and for a team who (given the amount of chances created) will probably give him the best chance to shine. The fact that Barca/Madrid/Juve might have perceived more successful histories is utterly irrelevant. City have been a top team for ten years. Haaland is 21. For almost all his life he has known City at the top table
Can we ban City fans like the scousers too because they are getting right up my nose