Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

Chief123

His assist and advanced numbers suggest he is a good playmaker actually, for a striker. Which tracks. Most great strikers playing on great teams tend to be
Haaland is a lot of things, but play making isn’t one of them. Far from it. There was a good reason he was getting so little touches every game recently and not involved in build up. Just being able to pass the ball consistently and successfully doesn’t make one a playmaker.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Haaland is a lot of things, but play making isn’t one of them. Far from it. There was a good reason he was getting so little touches every game recently and not involved in build up. Just being able to pass the ball consistently and successfully doesn’t make one a playmaker.
And yet his assist and xA numbers are good. Which makes him a good playmaker. You're ignoring off ball playmaking, is all

To be clear, he isn't special at it by any means. Just good

Chief123

And yet his assist and xA numbers are good. Which makes him a good playmaker. You're ignoring off ball playmaking, is all

He’s not a playmaker.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Not primarily of course, no. Doesn't change the fact he's been good at it for City
No worse than Kane, who is often held up as a good example of a well-rounded striker.

Chief123

No worse than Kane, who is often held up as a good example of a well-rounded striker.
It’s posts like this that are way over the top. Haaland isn’t even in the same league as Kane when it comes to build up play. Kane could even play in number 10 as a playmaker. Not a chance Haaland could.

Haaland is a great goal scorer but let’s not add on a load of extras that he isn’t.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He’s (Kane) regularly used as one of the best alongside Benzema.
Depends on what is meant by playmaking really. Kane is really great at holding the ball up, initiating attacks, and breaking lines/spreading the pitch. In those he's up there with Benzema yeah. He's nowhere near as a direct chance creator

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It's a shame he's at City. Makes the record so vanilla. Otherwise I think it's a phenomenal achievement in my lifetime.

I reckon he would have broken that record at Liverpool, Utd, Spurs or Arsenal and it would have been lauded, and celebrated, properly.

Telsim

Greatest striker the Premier League has seen. It's a privilege.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Reserving judgement 'til he proves it's not a fluke next season.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
And a 42 game season. Record was 34.
Nah, they played 42 game seasons back in the day too. Dixie Dean once scored 60 in 39 (season was only 42 games long in total). Full list is here. I think pretty much all those ahead of Haaland (joint 19th right now) played 42 game seasons.

Edit: Actually, I don't even think he has the record for a 38 game season yet. Looks like that belongs to Bert Freeman (Everton,1908-09) - 38 goals.

Last edited:

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
It’s posts like this that are way over the top. Haaland isn’t even in the same league as Kane when it comes to build up play. Kane could even play in number 10 as a playmaker. Not a chance Haaland could.

Haaland is a great goal scorer but let’s not add on a load of extras that he isn’t.
Build up play and playmaking are very different things. Mourinho found a way to get Kane loads of assists, mostly for Son, but other than that Kane's not exactly smashing it when it comes to creating chances.

Chief123

Build up play and playmaking are very different things. Mourinho found a way to get Kane loads of assists, mostly for Son, but other than that Kane's not exactly smashing it when it comes to creating chances.
Kane is miles ahead in playmaking and build up play to Haaland.

Chief123

Nah, they played 42 game seasons back in the day too. Dixie Dean once scored 60 in 39 (season was only 42 games long in total). Full list is here. I think pretty much all those ahead of Haaland (joint 19th right now) played 42 game seasons.

Edit: Actually, I don't even think he has the record for a 38 game season yet. Looks like that belongs to Bert Freeman (Everton,1908-09)
The record is premier league which includes the 42 game seasons.

jm99

Edit: Actually, I don't even think he has the record for a 38 game season yet. Looks like that belongs to Bert Freeman (Everton,1908-09) - 38 goals.
Looking at dixie dean's Wikipedia you have to wonder what the hell happened that season. The rest of the time he managed nearly a goal a game, then one season he's at nearly 2 goals a game, was it just freakish good form or something else going on?

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Whether it's 38 games or 42 games, he holds the record alone now. At 22 years old. In his first PL season. Just sickening...

He has 5 games left to grab the following 3 records:

1. Most goals + assist
He needs 3 more to equal Henry(44).

2. Most hat-tricks
He needs 1 more to equal Shearer(5)

3. Most non-penalty goals
He needs 3 more to equal Salah and Suarez(31)

I have a feeling that he will break all 3 :nervous:

Wilt

Whether it's 38 games or 42 games, he holds the record alone now. At 22 years old. In his first PL season. Just sickening...

1. Most goals + assist

2. Most hat-tricks

Agree 1 and 3 ….think he may struggle to get more hat tricks with Pep tending to sub him when they have a decent lead.

Chief123

1. Most goals + assist

2. Most hat-tricks

Hat trick is going to be tough as Pep will keep taking him off for UCL.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

I'm with you here.

It's been very noticeable how much more he has been involved in games in the second half of the season,
How much deeper he has been dropping as well.

He's never going to be a creative player, but he has been very clever on the ball and in his deeper runs recently, definitely stepped it up in terms of creativity.
And the scary thing is he can definitely still improve on that side of his game.