Nordic Ghost Yeti (Scandi Carroll) | Haaland at City

GMoore23

Spot on.

I think apart from his movement it's his ability to physically get to the position ahead of the CBs in order to score. Many times, defenders know what's coming but just can't reach in time before Erling does. It's not even some extremely high IQ positioning just actually getting in on goal on time.

I firmly believe that once he loses his pace he'll be half the player.
It's that deadly combination of strength and pace which makes it look like men against boys at times. Very few players have that combination. Prime VVD had the same combination which is why people barely got the better of him and he was so dominant.
Like it was for Owen.

If Haaland tears his hamstrings he'll have to totally reinvent himself. He has the size and strength to play a different role though whereas Owen was a midget.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Like it was for Owen.

If Haaland tears his hamstrings he'll have to totally reinvent himself. He has the size and strength to play a different role though whereas Owen was a midget.
While he definitely has the physique to be a target man I don't think he can ever be that type to hold the ball up and bring others into play as his primary strength. He can improve his hold up play but I don't see him reinventing himself turning into a more goalscoring version of Mandzukic or Giroud suddenly.

Also, he's naturally pretty weak at heading which is another stumbling block for reinventing himself in that way.

Hammondo

How the hell is he shite now?
is Cancelo also shite all of a sudden?

feck me.

He's a bloody brilliant striker (more of a finisher than anything else which has its place in modern football, believe it or not) who can be kept quiet,
to people's surprise it seems.

The fact that some people were thinking he is going to score braces and hattricks almost every week and wipe the floor with the PL records for goals...
the latter especially is not that implausible (at least beating the record, not necessarily smashing it), but still, scoring the 45-55 goals a season i've seen mentioned here is really hard work and luck also.
I would say the problem is that because hes reliant on his physical side of things, the team becomes more focused on him and if he gets stopped, the team might struggle more to score than previously.

ScholesyTheWise

I would say the problem is that because hes reliant on his physical side of things, the team becomes more focused on him and if he gets stopped, the team might struggle more to score than previously.
Aye, this I can agree on.
Different than say Lewa at Barca and his previous teams, when while being the focal point of the attack,
he wouldn't normally put the other attackers in his shadow.

with Haaland this might not be the case; too early to tell. I'd trust someone like Pep to find solutions for this.
He has the players at his disposal surely.

Hope he fails miserably doing that, mind you. the bald prick.

weird how I dislike him while City as a team and club hardly ever elicit any emotions from me.

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Just gotta laugh at the flip flopping in here. For weeks he is the best striker in the history of the game and after one quiet match he now has no skill or ability and is just a tap in merchant
Crazy thing is that he didn't really have a quiet game either. He was more involved than usual and was mostly let down by a couple of not his best finishes from great positions where he usually scores (1 open header and 1 shot where Alisson made a decent save). He did have 6 shots and 4 on target after all so it's not like he spent the evening in Gomez' and VVD's pockets. I guess we'll see the same reactionary stuff in here every time he scores and every time he doesn't.

The Firestarter

Crazy thing is that he didn't really have a quiet game either. He was more involved than usual and was mostly let down by a couple of not his best finishes from great positions where he usually scores (1 open header and 1 shot where Alisson made a decent save). He did have 6 shots and 4 on target after all so it's not like he spent the evening in Gomez' and VVD's pockets. I guess we'll see the same reactionary stuff in here every time he scores and every time he doesn't.
Yeah that's usually the football forum.

Vapor trail

feck me.

He's a bloody brilliant striker (more of a finisher than anything else which has its place in modern football, believe it or not) who can be kept quiet,

The fact that some people were thinking he is going to score braces and hattricks almost every week and wipe the floor with the PL records for goals...
the latter especially is not that implausible (at least beating the record, not necessarily smashing it), but still, scoring the 45-55 goals a season i've seen mentioned here is really hard work and luck also.
You can see how wish washy the fan base is with the player performances thread. One week the said player has turned the corner, a new leaf the very next week they need to be sold. It's ridiculous.

NewUser777

:lol: He is 22, and probably played the highest level of football game in his career. That’s all analytics needed.

troylocker

The difference between his and Salah's impact on a game of this calibre was stark.

Haaland has no real individual quality except to get on the end of chances crafted by his team mates.
What was Salah's impact on that game besides his goal (gifted to him by a total brainfart from Cancelo)? Feel free to elaborate this stark difference in impact on this game besides the obvious goal scored.
He had half the shots, fewer touches, fewer passes, fewer chances created, more successful pressings etc. and that despite having perfect "Salah working conditions" against City's high line, while Liverpool parked their bus on the 18 yard line.

Yeah that's usually the football forum.
I would expect nothing less.

georgipep

What was Salah's impact on that game besides his goal (gifted to him by a total brainfart from Cancelo)? Feel free to elaborate this stark difference in impact on this game besides the obvious goal scored.
He had half the shots, fewer touches, fewer passes, fewer chances created, more successful pressings etc. and that despite having perfect "Salah working conditions" against City's high line, while Liverpool parked their bus on the 18 yard line.

I would expect nothing less.
A bit of a weird statement, considering that Salah was the main outlet for Liverpool attacks, forced a world-class save from Ederson and had a few other good chances throughout the game.

I am a firm believer that Haaland is an absolute monster of a player but to say that yesterday Salah wasn't more impactful is, at best, weird. Looks more like a biased opinion though, to be honest.

troylocker

A bit of a weird statement, considering that Salah was the main outlet for Liverpool attacks, forced a world-class save from Ederson and had a few other good chances throughout the game.

I am a firm believer that Haaland is an absolute monster of a player but to say that yesterday Salah wasn't more impactful is, at best, weird. Looks more like a biased opinion though, to be honest.
I was simply asking the other poster, who claimed Salah's impact "in a game of this calibre" stands in stark contrast to Haaland's, if he could explain how he impacted the game apart from the goal. He scored a nice goal gifted to him by Cancelo and had a couple of good chances, but aside from that he had a quite anonymous performance. Haaland should probably have scored at least one himself, but his finishing wasn't as sharp as usual. Other than that he was more involved and had more chances than Salah. Yes, he scored the only goal in this match, so in that way his impact in that game stood in stark contrast to all the other 21 players on the pitch. When talking abouts games like this in general, Haaland literally scored 3 and assisted 2 against us 2 weeks ago.

If goals are the measurestick:
If we compare Salah's and Haaland's numbers against top teams, guess who scores more/has the biggest impact?

Salah against Spanish, Italian and German teams + PSG in the CL: 13 goals and 5 assists in 37 matches - 0,35 G/game and 0,49 G+A/game
Salah against the other top 6 teams in England: 42 goals and 14 assists in 77 matches - 0,55 G/game and 0,73 G+A/game
Total: 55 goals and 19 assists in 114 matches: 0,48 G/game and 0,65 G+A/game

Haaland against Spanish, Italian, German and English teams + PSG in the CL: 14 goals and 3 assists in 13 matches - 1,08 G/game and 1,31 G+A/game
Haaland against the other top 6 teams in England and top 4 in Germany: 25 goals and 5 assists in 23 matches - 1,09 G/game and 1,30 G+A/game
Total: 39 goals and 8 assists in 36 matches: 1,09 G/game and 1,31 G+A/game.

I don't think you have to be very biased to claim Salah's impact in big games in general isn't much bigger than Haaland's.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I was simply asking the other poster, who claimed Salah's impact "in a game of this calibre" stands in stark contrast to Haaland's, if he could explain how he impacted the game apart from the goal. He scored a nice goal gifted to him by Cancelo and had a couple of good chances, but aside from that he had a quite anonymous performance. Haaland should probably have scored at least one himself, but his finishing wasn't as sharp as usual. Other than that he was more involved and had more chances than Salah. Yes, he scored the only goal in this match, so in that way his impact in that game stood in stark contrast to all the other 21 players on the pitch. When talking abouts games like this in general, Haaland literally scored 3 and assisted 2 against us 2 weeks ago.

If goals are the measurestick:
If we compare Salah's and Haaland's numbers against top teams, guess who scores more/has the biggest impact?

Salah against Spanish, Italian and German teams + PSG in the CL: 13 goals and 5 assists in 37 matches - 0,35 G/game and 0,49 G+A/game
Salah against the other top 6 teams in England: 42 goals and 14 assists in 77 matches - 0,55 G/game and 0,73 G+A/game
Total: 55 goals and 19 assists in 114 matches: 0,48 G/game and 0,65 G+A/game

Haaland against Spanish, Italian, German and English teams + PSG in the CL: 14 goals and 3 assists in 13 matches - 1,08 G/game and 1,31 G+A/game
Haaland against the other top 6 teams in England and top 4 in Germany: 25 goals and 5 assists in 23 matches - 1,09 G/game and 1,30 G+A/game
Total: 39 goals and 8 assists in 36 matches: 1,09 G/game and 1,31 G+A/game.

I don't think you have to be very biased to claim Salah's impact in big games in general isn't much bigger than Haaland's.
Just out of curiosity, who do you consider to be "top 4" in Germany?

Pintu

First Norwegian ever to make BO top 10.

Werder Bremen’s Rune Bratseth had Norway’s best performance with a 15th place in 1993.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City

feck me.

Loads of fantastic players are very lucky the internet weren't around to scrutinise every game they ever played. To be a great player in the twitter generation you are judged on the last game you played

Werder Bremen’s Rune Bratseth had Norway’s best performance with a 15th place in 1993.
Funnily enough, they are both childhood City fans

matsdf

Insane he's beaten by Vinicius. A joke really.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
From recent years: Bayern, Dortmund, Leipzig and Leverkusen
Ok, makes sense, however it doesn't feel like Leverkusen truly belong to a fixed top group. It's more like a top three and then some random team getting the fourth CL spot (it was Leverkusen twice in the last six seasons, Hoffenheim twice as well, once Gladbach and Wolfsburg. Leverkusen just doesn't feel any special in that regard to me)

padr81

Supports
Man City
He was OK yesterday, no worse than our other attackers, he needs to bury that header he missed 1st half in big games though.

It was a relative sitter and would have put us 1 up.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Insane he's beaten by Vinicius. A joke really.
It's always subjective, but I don't think it's insane or a joke, given how consistently good & decisive Vinicius was in a great Real season. (And that's not taking anything away from how good Haaland was last season.)

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
He was OK yesterday, no worse than our other attackers, he needs to bury that header he missed 1st half in big games though.

It was a relative sitter and would have put us 1 up.
Not a sitter at all imo, very difficult to both generate power and try and place it away from a very good goalkeeper at the same time.

Imo, he really should have put his foot through the ball in the attack where he tried to slide Foden through instead.

Last edited:

troylocker

Ok, makes sense, however it doesn't feel like Leverkusen truly belong to a fixed top group. It's more like a top three and then some random team getting the fourth CL spot (it was Leverkusen twice in the last six seasons, Hoffenheim twice as well, once Gladbach and Wolfsburg. Leverkusen just doesn't feel any special in that regard to me)
You have a good point. For Haaland’s numbers it doesn’t matter much though:

Against Bayern, Leipzig and Dortmund:
12 goals and 1 assist in 12 games (999 minutes)

Against Leverkusen, Hoffenheim, Wolfsburg and Gladbach:
16 goals and 4 assists in 18 games (1447 minutes)

whitbyviking

His hat trick against Palace got us 3 points

His hat trick against United got us 3 points

He scored the winner against Dortmund

He scored both goals against West Ham

Anything else?
This is really lazy and unfair.

Both goals vs West Ham (and won the penalty), in a game we were otherwise pretty bad in, so that's three points.

Scored the goal to spark the comeback from 3-1 down against Newcastle. That's another one.

We only thrashed Forest because he scored a hat-trick in the first half. The other three goals came after the game was already done and dusted, because of him. But we'd probably have won that game without him so I'll give you that one.

Scored the only City goal against Villa. One more.

Late winner vs Dortmund is worth 2 points.

We were trailing and playing badly against Palace when he scored the first of his hat-trick. Even if you assume we'd have leveled it up without him, that's two more points.

He was involved in five of our six goals against United. Unless we're saying every goal scored after it's already 1-0 is just 'stat-padding' he was the single most crucial part of that win.

He's made an enormous difference.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not cheapening his goals. I’m just curious what the number is and what in theory it takes to replicate his productivity. There isn’t another Haaland out there so I’m wondering how close you need to be to get the same results. Not all his goals are “necessary” to win. So would it be a 25 goal a season forward, 30, 35 etc.

Goals are goals and they are all important for different reasons.

So less of the lazy Noot, you ratbag of a man and stop whining the pair of you :D

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool

McGrory is a legendary figure within Celtic's history. He is their top scorer of all time with 522 goals from 501 games,[95] and holds their record for the most goals in a season, with 62 goals from 46 games in season 1927–28.[96][22] He has also notched up a British top-flight record of 55 hat-tricks, 48 coming in League games and 7 from Scottish Cup ties. It could be argued he in fact scored 56, as he hit 8 goals in a Scottish League game against Dunfermline on 14 January 1928.[97]
Erling Haaland schmerling haaland

Anderson_7_

People are waking up and realizing how overrated he is! Finally!!!

Alan Shearer: If Kane was in this City team he’d score as many as Haaland

Paul Merson: Haaland wouldn't score 60 goals in League Two

He needs the service. Everyone is going on about how great and super he is and how the movement is great and how powerful he is, but if he's not getting the ball on a sixpence, it doesn't matter how good your movement is, he's not getting the ball. He would not score 60 goals in League Two, and I was a manager there with Walsall.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Anderson7 is the Skip Bayless to Haaland's Lebron James. Too bad he's not making nearly as much money off it as Skip did.

Sorry for the overly Yank reference.

Hakara

Supports
Bayern München
So as a relatively inactive lurker, is Anderson7 just your version of Rory Jennings?

matsdf

Fun fact: Of Haalands 17 PL goals, only two have been assisted by Foden, Mahrez, B. Silva or Grealish.