Number 10 shirt | Rashford officially our new #10

SER19

Good to see, people might not think much of it but I’m sure a player recognises at least a little symbolic weight to wear an iconic football number, it’s an encouragement to perform and earn the right to keep it. But of course mourinho just wants to destroy our young players so it’s probably an evil mind game

Ritish

This probably just rules out any major attacking signing as well now

Murray3007

some of these comments are terrible, its a bloody number at the end of the day, bloody hell Owen and Valencia have had the number 7 which is more iconic at United. should make no difference to any player when they go out on the park to what number they have on there back, if they cant handle a number then we should be punting them as clearly don't have the right mentality to be a united player. Anyway Good luck to him with it, A promising Young player who still has plenty to offer. hopefully Jose lets him actually attack rather then just using him for his work rate on the wing

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I hope in 10 years time, Rashford is still wearing that shirt and has made it his own.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
It's actually astonishing that anyone on here has any negativity about this. Crazy. Anyone who has watched this guy come through the ranks knows that he can become an awesome player. All the tools in his toolbox. He genuinely is one of our own and as long as he keeps learning and progressing we will eventually have one hell of a player. You do all remember the guy is just 20?

...One of our own.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I care in a sense that I love the fact we have legends that have played for the number 7 and want this to continue. I also love that we have legends that have played as a 10 and want this to continue too. More importantly I like how some significant numbers in United carry a weight of expectation at the club and the players know this too. I hope that the players never take this approach of, it's only a number who cares? Certain numbers have meant a lot to fans of United and will continue to do so. I hope Rashford does well as the 10, good luck to the lad.
We have a homegrown talent taking up the no.10 shirt. I just dont see an issue with that. We had Michael Owen as a 7....

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
We have a homegrown talent taking up the no.10 shirt. I just dont see an issue with that. We had Michael Owen as a 7....
I don’t see an issue with it

beedoubleyou

It's actually astonishing that anyone on here has any negativity about this. Crazy. Anyone who has watched this guy come through the ranks knows that he can become an awesome player. All the tools in his toolbox. He genuinely is one of our own and as long as he keeps learning and progressing we will eventually have one hell of a player. You do all remember the guy is just 20?

...One of our own.
Is it actually astonishing? A casual browse of almost any topic in the United forums doesn't reflect well on our fan base.

walkinhop

We all talk about how we want youth to be given a chance. We want young players and we want academy players to come in and be a huge part of our club. So when one such player in Rashford gets the no.10 you'd expect much joy and appreciation but no...

We get, Martial! Martial! Why won't anyone think of Martial! Then loads of nonsense about how he's not that good and it's all hype because he's English.

For my money, Rashford will go down as an iconic no.10 he's got bags of talent with a great work ethic.
Youth isn't given chances though are they? Forget Martial, Rashford has been misused terribly and none of the young guns bar players like Lingard and McTom will find it fitting. The system kills any kind of creativity and attacking minded players. We have defenders too yet we signed 2 and are looking for one more (if true). Pereira is in a number 6... A shirt number is not giving a chance.

OL29

We all talk about how we want youth to be given a chance. We want young players and we want academy players to come in and be a huge part of our club. So when one such player in Rashford gets the no.10 you'd expect much joy and appreciation but no...

We get, Martial! Martial! Why won't anyone think of Martial! Then loads of nonsense about how he's not that good and it's all hype because he's English.

For my money, Rashford will go down as an iconic no.10 he's got bags of talent with a great work ethic.
Pretty sure only a couple of people mentioned Martial before you did and one of them did so sarcastically. The obsession with Martial on this board is fecking weird and I'm not talking about the supposed 'Martial FC'. Some of you lot are ridiculously paranoid about the lad, he gets dragged into every thread ffs.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Is it actually astonishing? A casual browse of almost any topic in the United forums doesn't reflect well on our fan base.
No I guess. I'm really new here and only joined because my best mate at work recently left and I have no one to talk UTD to anymore. The negativity hasn't necessarily surprised me but the vitriol has. Rashford, in my eyes anyway, is like one of our crown jewels. Certainly not reached his potential yet but he is 20 years old and trying to cut it at one of the worlds biggest and most demanding clubs.

I can't think of anyone better than Rashford to get that shirt.

Pavl3n

Delighted for him. The guy is devoted to his cause - reaching the highest standards.
Well, he might not have the talent of Ronaldo or Messi, but sure he looks like he has close to Ronaldo's dedication. Still a 20 yr old, with FA Cup and UEFA Europa league under his belt. Bronze medal from a world cup, too. May be he didn't contribute as much as others, but when he had to step up and score a penalty, he did it.
I'm sure he'll improve his numbers in every competition. Big fan of him. Really happy.

Renegade

Only reason I find it annoying is it probably signals no major attacking signing anytime soon. Hopefully it pushes Rashford on as his progress has stalled.

So you're a top red 'cause you care about the numbers they wear...
That’s not what I said is it!

There does however seem to be a lot of people who don’t care about tradition, and the history of the club, and yes this includes numbers for players, and the history of the number, it’s legacy, who has previously worn it.

If you don’t care, then so be it - I suspect a lot of apathy comes from millennials, where everything is disposable, and history of previous generations is too often taken for granted.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
That’s not what I said is it!

There does however seem to be a lot of people who don’t care about tradition, and the history of the club, and yes this includes numbers for players, and the history of the number, it’s legacy, who has previously worn it.

If you don’t care, then so be it - I suspect a lot of apathy comes from millennials, where everything is disposable, and history of previous generations is too often taken for granted.
Just out of interest, when you mention millennials, exactly what age range are you referring to?

Because most millennials, the ones born in the early 80s through the mid 90s, most of us grew up watching Ferguson's United, who really cared about the history of the club.

I'm a millennial myself, born in 84 and I'm chuffed Rashford has the 10.

Just out of interest, when you mention millennials, exactly what age range are you referring to?

Because most millennials, the ones born in the early 80s through the mid 90s, most of us grew up watching Ferguson's United, who really cared about the history of the club.

I'm a millennial myself, born in 84 and I'm chuffed Rashford has the 10.
The official classification of millennials is anywhere from 1980, however that’s just a ridiculous age range, simply because it includes people like myself, who grew up without the internet, and there is a distinct difference to those who have never known life without the web. So really I probably mean people under about 25, perhaps a good barometer would be anyone who doesn’t remember the introduction of names and numbers that didn’t change throughout the season.

In addition, it clearly doesn’t mean everyone of a certain age range falls into any sort of catagory. These are just my own personal thoughts, and I’m not going off to provide any statistics.

RedDevil-85

Too early to give it to Rashford in my opinion,he doesnt really deserve it yet.

MadMike

I'm guessing neither of you have met breakout67 before? Nobody has been seriously saying the bit in bold in response to Rashford getting the #10 shirt. breakout67 has a tiresome habit of posting stuff to get a reaction like that then adding white text.

Some of his 'genius' in the past (white text changed to green for visibility):

and the last few from Martial threads
This is what we call, getting Damo'ed :lol:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I hope in 10 years time, Rashford is still wearing that shirt and has made it his own.
Me too. His development has gone backwards under Mourinho though.

He needs a big season. I just hope the manager lets him express himself and doesn’t just want another fullback on the pitch.

MadMike

Me too. His development has gone backwards under Mourinho though.

He needs a big season. I just hope the manager lets him express himself and doesn’t just want another fullback on the pitch.
Backwards? Backwards to what? He had only played 18 games of football for us when Mourinho arrived. He has played another 105 (excl. friendlies) games since.

I think he's progressing, albeit slowly, he's only 20 after all but people are quite impatient with youngsters expecting way too much. Like, why does he need a big season at 20, really? He could be shit for the next 3 seasons and still mature to be a world class player in his mid-20s like many players before him. Salah at the same age was a having worse, productivity-wise, season in the Swiss league without the burden of expectation playing for Manchester United or the same quality of opposition. He was 23 when Chelsea got rid off him and only found his feet in his mid twenties.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A bit underwhelming to be honest, if you told me in May he'd be our new #10 I'd be disappointed.

Ah well, hopefully he can grow into a key player. The worlds outstanding player in his age group is Mbappe & Rashford looks far far off his level to be honest.

spiriticon

Chuffed for our Rashford.

Hope this ignites his memories of when he was a half decent striker under LvG

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
shouldn't be too difficult. Rooney aside, it's not like it's a storied particularly number at your club, the way no 7 is for example.

Snafu17

The official classification of millennials is anywhere from 1980, however that’s just a ridiculous age range, simply because it includes people like myself, who grew up without the internet, and there is a distinct difference to those who have never known life without the web. So really I probably mean people under about 25, perhaps a good barometer would be anyone who doesn’t remember the introduction of names and numbers that didn’t change throughout the season.

In addition, it clearly doesn’t mean everyone of a certain age range falls into any sort of catagory. These are just my own personal thoughts, and I’m not going off to provide any statistics.
Majority of the people under 25 are generation Z rather than milennials. And you have seem to already grasped the problem with grouping people in "generations". A demographic that consists of people born in the span of 15 years throughout the whole world is pointless and you cannot learn anything from it.

"Legendary" numbers are a marketing gimmick. There were no reoccurring numbers till the 90's. It's all pish.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
shouldn't be too difficult. Rooney aside, it's not like it's a storied particularly number at your club, the way no 7 is for example.
The odds are against any young player having 10 years at a top club regardless of their talent at Rashford's age.