Number 10 shirt | Rashford officially our new #10

Irrational.

It's not well deserved though. He's been poor for the better part of two seasons. His hype greatly exceeds his talent.
Considering his age and where he plays, I'd say he's about where he needs to be.

Though he is capable of a lot more, I agree. Expecting a big season from him this year.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Rashford gets the no.10 while Martial gets his number taken from him. Typical Moaninho favouring untalented workhorses and shunning a player destined to be world class.

Please Martial have my babies

Cloud7

I was torn on what jersey to get this season, will definitely be getting a Rashford 10 now :drool:

Vilev

Rashford gets the no.10 while Martial gets his number taken from him. Typical Moaninho favouring untalented workhorses
Well the fact hat Martial is mistreated and it could cost us a great player going forward, should not make you so bitter that you insult anyone else. Rashford might not become a great player some think he will, he is very young to make any sort of judgement on his career (same for Martial actually). But one thing is clear, he is no workhorse. He does have genuine attacking talent. Whether he can develop it and be consistent is up to him. A "workhorse" could never score that first goal against Liverpool for example.

JMack1234

We all talk about how we want youth to be given a chance. We want young players and we want academy players to come in and be a huge part of our club. So when one such player in Rashford gets the no.10 you'd expect much joy and appreciation but no...

We get, Martial! Martial! Why won't anyone think of Martial! Then loads of nonsense about how he's not that good and it's all hype because he's English.

For my money, Rashford will go down as an iconic no.10 he's got bags of talent with a great work ethic.

Sterling Archer

Didn't think club would give it to someone that's not yet a superstar. Nice to see! Hopefully Marcus can make some history to make the number more iconic, bit closer to the 7 and 11

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
We all talk about how we want youth to be given a chance. We want young players and we want academy players to come in and be a huge part of our club. So when one such player in Rashford gets the no.10 you'd expect much joy and appreciation but no...

We get, Martial! Martial! Why won't anyone think of Martial! Then loads of nonsense about how he's not that good and it's all hype because he's English.

For my money, Rashford will go down as an iconic no.10 he's got bags of talent with a great work ethic.
Don't remember there being much fuss about Martial not earning the no. 11 shirt, which is supposedly much more special than the 10? In fact many were upset that he wasn't allowed to keep the 9 (myself included admittedly). Not sure what's the big deal about the 10 considering that.

Edit: Anyway this is what happens when two youngsters are pitted against each other (by circumstance or otherwise) to rival for a single place in the XI. Some of the biggest Rashford critics are the biggest Martial fans and vice versa.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Well the fact hat Martial is mistreated and it could cost us a great player going forward, should not make you so bitter that you insult anyone else. Rashford might not become a great player some think he will, he is very young to make any sort of judgement on his career (same for Martial actually). But one thing is clear, he is no workhorse. He does have genuine attacking talent. Whether he can develop it and be consistent is up to him. A "workhorse" could never score that first goal against Liverpool for example.

I'm guessing neither of you have met breakout67 before? Nobody has been seriously saying the bit in bold in response to Rashford getting the #10 shirt. breakout67 has a tiresome habit of posting stuff to get a reaction like that then adding white text.

Some of his 'genius' in the past (white text changed to green for visibility):

To be honest, i think if we offer £40 million for Neymar, Barcelona will think about it. Much better deal than what we're paying for Morata.

heuheuheuheu
Another shite performance from the lads masked by goals. Pogba back in the team and we still look bereft of creativity. We will never accomplish anything under this negative manager.

Am i doing it right?
Because Jose is a stubborn dinosaur and will have a meltdown next season. Hopefully McKenna and Carrick can steady the ship as caretaker managers next season.

white text
and the last few from Martial threads

World class player in the making, and this is exactly what we'be been missing. You can see how much we've benefited from him in games like Brighton, Huddersfield and Newcastle.

white text
That's not fair, Martial is world class potential and Lingard and Young are donkeys that will follow what the manager wants. So you have to accommodate Martial or else he'll be the next KdB!

Did I do it right?

JMack1234

I'm guessing neither of you have met breakout67 before? Nobody has been seriously saying the bit in bold in response to Rashford getting the #10 shirt. breakout67 has a tiresome habit of posting stuff to get a reaction like that then adding white text.

Some of his 'genius' in the past (white text changed to green for visibility):

and the last few from Martial threads
For the tape, I wasn't quoting anyone from this thread. It was a humorous satire on the reaction of United fans on twitter.

edcunited1878

Entering his 4th year as a senior player at Manchester United his trajectory has been 39, 19 and 10.

I hope he does the shirt proud and ups his performance to a consistent basis. Needs to lock down that left side or any starting XI position. Make us proud Marcus!

Dempsey19

Kylian Mbappe approves of it as he commented an emoji on Rashfords instagram post.

Mbapp-on? Lol.

Just said id mention it for the non Instagram users.

Micky Targaryen

Jeez, just be happy for the lad. Don't need to spout your pretentious over analytical football expertise bullshit over a damn shirt number ffs.

meamth

Pogba. He's meant to the the playmaker in the team and he can play between the lines as well.
His branding is now 6, because the number six looks pretty much like a P letter. Possibly that would be a permanent thing for him.

Ashley R1+O

Nothing but love for him, worked his ring off the last three years and grown as a young man and a player. Rich reward.

Beagle

If it’s just a number so give it to Jones ??
Sure if it makes them feel special, we can give it to anyone. But the thing with shirt numbers is their contribution to marketing. Jones10 would sell fewer shirts than say Pogba10.

But there is no such thing as deserving to wear the #10 or #7 shirts. Also related talks of retiring certain shirts are just silly. It's plain sentimentality on the part of fans and from a club's perspective it's just milking those feelings to their fullest for the purpose of commercial benefit. It's better to not emotionally invest in such things.

Kostov

I just hope the pressure doesn't harm his development. I'd love it if he became half as good as some of the previous number 10's.

Alright Mr Angry.

We can at least agree Rashers getting the number 10 is no drama.
Not angry, just your post was completely incorrect.

We should be celebrating a home grown player getting a first team number. Too much negativity (as always) in here. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the anti-English brigade we saw in the WC threads.

Well done Rashford.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Do people still care about numbers? Who cares...
I care in a sense that I love the fact we have legends that have played for the number 7 and want this to continue. I also love that we have legends that have played as a 10 and want this to continue too. More importantly I like how some significant numbers in United carry a weight of expectation at the club and the players know this too. I hope that the players never take this approach of, it's only a number who cares? Certain numbers have meant a lot to fans of United and will continue to do so. I hope Rashford does well as the 10, good luck to the lad.

fellaini's barber

I don't see the point, he creates nothing, not a constant in the first team and is generally average, but yea he's our youth product so its alright so yay

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
First time an academy grad has worn it since Beckham. That's pretty cool. Good on him. I hope it makes him kick on like it did for Rooney, instead of crippling him like the 7 did to Valencia.

But it's still just a number, and not one that has that much individual significant with the club. Not as much as the 7, or to a lesser extent, the 11. You're either happy for him, or you don't care. I don't see how it's something to get angry about, but Twitter never ceases to amaze.

It looks cool though, especially with the United number instead of the Premier League numbers. It's going to sell a few shirts.

Classical Mechanic

We should be celebrating a home grown player getting a first team number. Too much negativity (as always) in here. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the anti-English brigade we saw in the WC threads.

Well done Rashford.
I'm happy for him. Delighted to have someone of his profile getting the number 10.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I'm delighted Rashford gets the number 10. The way we've been playing I was starting to worry it was being saved for Alderwiereld or Yerry Mina.

stevoc

What a load of rubbish - numbers mean something to all clubs. No 9 at most clubs is a massive honour.
At Newcastle yes at most other clubs not so much. It's usually just given to whoever happens to be the current starting centre forward which is the case at United.

Well done Rashford.
No idea if theres actually an ''anti-english brigade'' on the caf. But if you mean people who didn't support the english national team because they aren't well english, i highly doubt that will extend to English players who play for United.

United have had a few English players over the years you know. If someone was that anti-english then i doubt they would be supporting an english club at all.

Last edited: