Nurse Lucy Letby - guilty of murdering 7 babies - whole life sentence

Oranges038

Fecking vile scum!! Pure evil that should be exterminated.
Tie a lead weight around it's neck and chuck it off a bridge. You can at least get the lead weight back and use it for the next cnut.

These guys do some good analysis on these kinds of crimes and the people who commit them.

Wilt

Pure evil POS.

Should be hanged. Most likely spend the rest of it‘s miserable life in Broadmoor.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I hope she can find it within herself to give the answers to the questions the families of her victims no doubt have.

TheLiverBird

I hope she can find it within herself to give the answers to the questions the families of her victims no doubt have.
I hope too god that the families of the victims never had too hear anymore of that crap that comes out this vile woman’s mouth/mind.

It would only be more insensitive drivel

stevoc

Such a baffling case. Has there ever been a suggestion of why she actually did it?
There's no reason that would make any sense so there's little point in even asking I'd imagine.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Watching on Panorama now - absolutely horrifying - can't even begin to imagine the scale of evil and the trauma she's caused. These are the cases where I wouldn't be against capital punishment. What a monster.
Same. Usually against it because of the possibility of killing someone innocent. That's not the case here, and the crime is just extraordinarily evil. Give her a choice of bullet to the back of the head, cyanide tablet, impaled on stake, or gassed

frostbite

Really hard to understand something like this. What was her reason? Did she just enjoy killing the babies and/or watching the parents suffer? And why did such a cruel human being want to become a nurse? Some people are too twisted to even attempt to understand what they are doing and why...

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Really hard to understand something like this. What was her reason? Did she just enjoy killing the babies and/or watching the parents suffer? And why did such a cruel human being want to become a nurse? Some people are too twisted to even attempt to understand what they are doing and why...
That little note where she wrote

I AM EVIL I DID THIS, I killed them on purpose because I'm not good enough, I don't deserve to live, I am an awful person.

I think that's as close to understanding as we're going to get

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
It’s incomprehensible. Beyond sad. Beyond evil.

Unimaginable what the parents of the babies have gone through. How would you ever recover from that trauma?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

If anyone wanted to know what unconscious bias is - here’s a top example.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tbf I think most people would have instinctively expected Britain's most prolific child serial killer to a) be a man, b) to have more outward red flags and c) not to have a big smiley friendly face in photos. Bit of a reach to assume they're responding to her hair/skin colour first and foremost.

I mean in terms of "what we think scary child killers look like" there's quite a difference between this picture:

And this picture:

Or, say, someone like this who could be a child's illustration of A Scary Person:

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Tbf I think most people would have instinctively expected Britain's most prolific child serial killer to a) be a man, b) to have more outward red flags and c) not to have a big smiley friendly face in photos. Bit of a reach to assume they're responding to her hair/skin colour first and foremost.
Well done on describing unconscious bias.

In any case, it’s brain dead reporting to report the story in such a way. Evil doesn’t look like anything because it can look like anyone.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Well done on describing unconscious bias.

In any case, it’s brain dead reporting to report the story in such a way. Evil doesn’t look like anything because it can look like anyone.
Well, yes. My point is that unconscious bias isn't exclusive to race, so framing that angle of the reporting as being about her hair/skin colour (as the tweet you posted did) or race (as Tibs did) is a reach. Even among white child killers, she isn't what people expect for multiple reasons.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Well, yes. My point is that unconscious bias isn't exclusive to race, so framing that angle of the reporting as being about her hair/skin colour (as the tweet you posted did) or race (as Tibs did) is a reach. Even among white child killers, she isn't what people expect for multiple reasons.
Yeah, 100%, bringing race into it is definitely a reach seeing as something like 80% of serial killers have been white, and over 90% male.

Add to that, she seems to have come from a stable, loving family, with no known history of abuse, offending or mental illness, to immediately take it as a comment on race seems to me like a bit like actively seeking to take offense.

So when you think of the profile of who would be likely to be the biggest child killer in history those factor into play well ahead of race.

I think what the journalist was referring to is that a young, seemingly well socially adjusted care giver, would be close to the bottom of the list, I don't think it's a question of race at all, as the statics show, regardless of who it is, they're almost certainly white.

Last edited:

Trequarista10

Munchausen by proxy is the only touted explanation that makes any sense.

I'm not convinced it's the only motive though. Apparently she herself had complications at birth (which is why she said she wanted to be a nurse in that particular field). But she often targeted siblings which makes me think there is some other underlying motivation driving it, and searching for the parents on Facebook, there's something other than Munchausen by proxy, but I can't begin to understand what exactly.

The jury have been deliberating for 22 days now. Given that the judge has given them a majority verdict ruling I imagine they're stuck at 9-2 for a guilty/not guilty verdict on the murder charges. Normally with a hung jury the judge would have dismissed them by now but this case has taken so long to get through that they presumably don't want it to go to a retrial.
Now the media are allowed to report the first guilty verdict came on 8th August and they drip fed the rest over the next days, but it was embargoed until all the verdicts had been delivered. It was only a few days of deliberation.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine

waza7111

That's probably true but there were also white doctors who weren't listened to.

Two of the people in charge were women so that may also have been a factor in why nothing was done.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
What the dickens has race got to do with it?

All the grooming gangs in Birmingham, "no one wanted to question them because they didn't want to appear racist".

Last edited:

Nice to see the story about the country's most prolific baby killer is being hijacked.

The first doctor who complained about her WAS white.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Wtf has race got to do with it?

All the grooming gangs in Birmingham, "no one wanted to question them because they didn't want to appear racist".
Nothing really. But the reason it went unchecked for so long is down to unconscious bias, in my opinion.

The reporter opening it with '“I don’t know what Britain’s most prolific child killer should look like but I’m pretty sure its not this.” is pretty pathetic though, and plays into the unconscious bias thing.

Trequarista10

The resistance to the original concerns/suspicions came from hospital administration who are not ward based/not in clinical roles. It's likely that they had no direct interactions with band 5 nurses, so race wouldn't come in to it initially.

Big Andy

Bloke
Surely got to be a whole life sentence. She'll go to jail and will never see the light of day. I'd imagine she'd be in solitary for her own safety as well as I'd imagine she'd be a massive target in jail.

hobbers

Two of the people in charge were women so that may also have been a factor in why nothing was done.
Explains why they thought mediation was the way forward instead of anything effective or useful.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned

I mean in terms of "what we think scary child killers look like" there's quite a difference between this picture:

And this picture:

Or, say, someone like this who could be a child's illustration of A Scary Person:

The second picture only works because we know. At the time people were just as shocked that a woman could do what she did to children. I don’t think there’s a race element to this at all: it’s more you don't expect someone who has spent a significant proportion of their life learning to be a health care professional for them to ultimately kill their patients with no obvious personal gain for their actions.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
We will probably never know her motives but my guess is that it'll be some form of extreme attention seeking victim complex thing... in parallel with the Michelle Carter case

Zen86

It's silly to suggest there's a race element to it. The vast majority of people in this country would think middle-aged white male when asked to conjure up an image of what a typical serial killer would look like. If you stipulated a medical professional, it would be Harold Shipman most people think of. It's the fact she's a young woman is what is surprising. Unconscious bias was no doubt a reason why it wasn't acted on sooner, but it wasn't due to race.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
It's quite incredible how race baiters will attempt to hijack any news story and try and steer it into an argument about racism, despite it not have any relevance to the story in question.

Big Andy

Bloke
The second picture only works because we know. At the time people were just as shocked that a woman could do what she did to children. I don’t think there’s a race element to this at all: it’s more you don't expect someone who has spent a significant proportion of their life learning to be a health care professional for them to ultimately kill their patients with no obvious personal gain for their actions.
I think it's definitely not a race thing. You expect your bog standard serial killers to be dishevelled looking battelaxes who work in a butchers, rather than a smiley, blonde girl who works in a neo-natal unit in Chester.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
I didn't realise some of the surviving babies now have brain damage, fecking hell.

Phil Jones Face

It really hits home with how the judge graphically describes how Lucy killed/maimed each poor baby. So unbelievably sad.

fergieisold

‘Lucy Letby would have been stopped sooner if she wasn’t white’ says Royal College of Nursing president
Dr Ravi Jayaram and other whistleblowers raised the alarm in 2015, but were ignored and reprimanded by management

'Lucy Letby would have been stopped sooner if she wasn’t white' says Royal College of Nursing president (inews.co.uk)

This is actually incredibly distasteful.

Deserved whole life tariff for this incredibly evil person. So sad what happened to completely defenceless babies.

hobbers

It's quite incredible how race baiters will attempt to hijack any news story and try and steer it into an argument about racism, despite it not have any relevance to the story in question.
It's an industry after all.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
A senior manager in charge of nursing when Lucy Letby murdered and seriously injured babies in her care has been suspended.
Alison Kelly and other managers at the Countess of Chester Hospital have been accused of ignoring warnings about Letby.
Ms Kelly, now nursing director at the Northern Care Alliance, has since been suspended "in light of information" that emerged during the trial.
Letby will be sentenced on Monday.
The former nurse was found guilty on Friday of murdering seven babies and attempting to kill six other infants following a 10 month trial.
Letby deliberately injected babies with air, force fed others milk and poisoned two of the infants with insulin.

Lucy Letby: Former nursing manager at Countess of Chester Hospital suspended - BBC News

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

And this picture:

Yeah, one is a social media post and the other is a mugshot. I’m sure Myra Hindley also smiled for a picture at some point in her social life. The difference is only that we haven’t seen it.

The “i didn’t think they would look like this!!??” stuff is absolutely part of the same societal bias that makes missing middle class white kids more newsworthy than poorer or non-white ones, or makes photos of black men killed by the police look sinister by cropping out the context, but then paints a serial killer of babies like… that

How deliberate it all is is debatable, but on a societal level, yeah, it is an issue. The question is do you think a black or Muslim nurse from a similar background would have the same kind of incredulous questions asked? If you do, fine, I personally don’t. At least not nearly to the same extent.
It’s also actually not that weird that she isnt a man, as crimes of opportunity that involve poisoning are much more likely to be done by women than any other type.

As for “why”… isn’t it fairly easy to imagine a power/God complex forming in someone who felt inadequate? Why does her having a stable family life entirely preclude that?

Last edited: