Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Is that Eric Bailly on the left?
Certainly looks like him, but I don't think their age's would match up, and Bailly was in Ivory Coast until he left for Spain. You'd expect Ighalo was in Nigeria in that photo.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
I don't know much, if anything about Ighalo, so I wont predict the future, but looking at that picture at the top he reminded me of Drogba. And no, not his colour, you plonkers, his face expression.
There you go, I just predicted the future.

Anyway, welcome Odion and best of luck.

Bondi77

Will be a terrible signing
Edit: sorry but it's flat out ridiculous
As Ole said;
I would rather be an optimist and be proven wrong then be a pessimist and proven right.
Football is all about the journey so we may as well smile when we travel because it is a lot more enjoyable.

WannaBeSakka

Everytime I have watched him he puts in his best effort. He might not set the world alight but if what Ole seeks is a striker who is willing to give everything, make the runs into the box and have the right attitude both on and off the pitch, then we have our Man.

I know on a the long run he's going to become a fan favorite and being a fan himself, I trust him to get the job done.

Top 4 incoming :devil:

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He’s written off before he even kick the ball. This is a very good sign to me.
All that does is highlight the mentality of some posters, quick to judge and condemn anything that they don't agree with. Today's society, who are faceless, most of what they say on these sites they would never say face to face with a real person. Would these people rather have signed no one?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What number do we reckon?

I read that Dwight Yorke was someone he idolised as a kid, so maybe #19? I think that or #27.

Will be a terrible signing
Edit: sorry but it's flat out ridiculous
He's there to be a body who is capable of putting a ball in a net, that is it. It won't be a terrible signing because we've barely spent any money and he's gone in the summer. This is a far better deal than blowing millions on Josh King to sit on our bench for years.

Rashford is out for the majority of the season, and we didn't replace Lukaku or Sanchez, so outside of Martial and 18 year old Greenwood we had nothing up top. This is a short term stop gap, and I'm fine with that.

The reaction to this is reminiscent of the reaction when Paulinho went to Barcelona, and he ended up surprising people there, so let's wait and see.

Last edited:

Mihai

Hope we don't pull the trigger and tie him up to a permanant deal too soon. It's just like us to do that as soon as he scored a few goals. He's 30, we just need him to perform this season. If he does exceptionally and looks like he has 2-3 quality years in the tank, we can revisit. But let's keep this arrangement as it is. Read somewhere that verbally we've agreed to make it permanant. Hope not.
The clubs verbally agreed to include an option to buy. It wasn't included now due to time constraints.

GwilDor

Rondon and Bakambu were right there available for loan
And why are they better loan moves than Ighalo? I admit i haven’t seen how any of them has played in China, but statistics wise thye are similar, Ighalo might even be best. Surely better PL stats than Rondon, and also loves the club. Out of those three i’d pick Ighalo, what makes you think the other two would have been better options?

GenZRed

Never heard of him before we were linked with him. I'm willing to reserve judgement on him until I see him play for us.

On another note, I don't know why anyone bothers watching YouTube videos of footballers. Anyone could look like a good footballer on a YouTube video.

Josh 76

Never heard of him before we were linked with him. I'm willing to reserve judgement on him until I see him play for us.

On another note, I don't know why anyone bothers watching YouTube videos of footballers. Anyone could look like a good footballer on a YouTube video.
To be honest, I thought he was a handful at Watford. He caused Utd many problems. Think we were even linked to him then (May be usual media crap).
But that was then, not sure what he is like now.

AaronRedDevil

Surprisingly he doesn't look that good in the videos :nervous:

jamesjimmybyrondean

And why are they better loan moves than Ighalo? I admit i haven’t seen how any of them has played in China, but statistics wise thye are similar, Ighalo might even be best. Surely better PL stats than Rondon, and also loves the club. Out of those three i’d pick Ighalo, what makes you think the other two would have been better options?
I've watched Ighalo play and his worse than Rondon who I've also seen. Bakambu has similar stats with Ighalo in China but he also scored goals in La Liga till his last season there unlike Ighalo

GwilDor

I've watched Ighalo play and his worse than Rondon who I've also seen. Bakambu has similar stats with Ighalo in China but he also scored goals in La Liga till his last season there unlike Ighalo
So, you’ve watched Ighalo regularly in China? You think that is a good league to judge quality on? In other posts you say Rondon is a proven PL striker, but his goal scoring record in the PL is nowhere close to Ighalo, who has seasons of 15 and 20 goals for Watford. Rondon got max of 11.
Rondon: PL record:goal every 309minute. China record: goal every 151 minute.
Ighalo: PL record: goal every 177 minute. China record: goal every 133 minute.
You may argue that Rondon is better in general play, but they are very different player types, Ighalo more of a poacher while Rondon is more like a target man. So comparing them is kind of like comparing apples and oranges.
i haven’t seen any at all of Bakambu, so not gonna argue there, other than point out that its a player without PL experience. That itself is a big risk of a flop.
I’m not saying Ighalo will succeed or flop, but in my opinion, between the alternatives you provide, Ighalo is the better alternative.

starman

I think he’s going to be a revelation. He was quality at Watford for 18 months and then his head got turned and went to shit before he got a big money move.
Playing for United seems his ultimate, and is still a threat based off what I saw at the ACON

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think he’s going to be a revelation. He was quality at Watford for 18 months and then his head got turned and went to shit before he got a big money move.
Playing for United seems his ultimate, and is still a threat based off what I saw at the ACON
Let’s hope you’re right. His record in the PL is good, so let’s hope 2 years in China hasn’t made him rusty. As a deadline day last resort signing, he’s a decent one.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I would like to share the optimism of some folks here, but this looks like one of those fm random AI transfers.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Jamie Redknapp saying it smacks of desperation.

Well, yeah. Why wouldn't it? We don't have a centre forward. We needed one. We got one that will see us through until summer.

Rashford is out for a while, Martial doesn't seem to ever be where a centre forward should be, and Greenwood is a kid who can't play every game at this stage. Short term loan, no obligation to buy, reasonable salary, player wants to come here, fills a gap we absolutely need to fill, not sure how there's a negative slant on it.

MS4

Wait. He hasn't played for 2 months and he is out back up guy?
I am normally really positive but is this the best loan option we could find?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Wait. He hasn't played for 2 months and he is out back up guy?
I am normally really positive but is this the best loan option we could find?
Yeah I just noticed that too, kind of worrying. Hard enough to join a new club in the middle of a season but we have to get him match fit as well?

I think most of us watched him a few years ago with Watford and are familiar with what he can do. Not a player that you'd expect United to sign but we've made striker loan signings before.

Djemba-Djemba

Jamie Redknapp saying it smacks of desperation.

Well, yeah. Why wouldn't it? We don't have a centre forward. We needed one. We got one that will see us through until summer.

Rashford is out for a while, Martial doesn't seem to ever be where a centre forward should be, and Greenwood is a kid who can't play every game at this stage. Short term loan, no obligation to buy, reasonable salary, player wants to come here, fills a gap we absolutely need to fill, not sure how there's a negative slant on it.
Yeah I've seen plenty say "oh it's desperation, it's a panic move".

Well, yeah. It is, I don't know anybody that's denying that.

We have a paper thin squad anyway and we're currently missing our main striker who's been involved in most of our best moments this season.

Seems very low risk to me.

dal

tbh Ighalo I thought was incredible every time I watched him for Watford. I had a mate who supported them and they said he was a top 4 striker.

Im just not sure how good he is now however

rashford haaland Greenwood Ighalo

would have been absolutely perfect as I think haaland would have rightly forced martial out

dal

I’ve never rated martial we should 100 percent cash in on him for someone hungrier and proven

GwilDor

Also doesn't he have to be quarantined for a period of 2 weeks after arriving in the UK?
Not quarantined. Only people travelling from Wuhan region require quarantine. Shanghai is not in Wuhan region, about 850km away according to google maps :-p
UK government recommends self-isolation for 14 days for people coming in from other parts of China.
source:BBC

Greck

All this excitement is about to dissipate when people see what he's really like at this stage. Take it from people who've watched the player any time recently. Keep your expectations low and humble

The Kag

Same as ‘cult hero’ Henrik Larsson then.
People keep making this comparison in order to shit on Larsson, but I'm not quite seeing it. Larsson was what, 36 at the time? He came into a United side that would win the league that season and already had brilliant players. He only managed 3 goals in 13 appearances (he also had a fantastic goal wrongfully disallowed), but it's not as if his sole purpose was to help salvage a turbulent season. More to the point, Larsson is somewhat of a legend and was a "fun" signing for Sir Alex Ferguson and the fans alike. Ighalo isn't exactly publicly venerated nor does he hold legendary status. It's not the same situation or context at all. It's easy to see why people loved Larsson's limited time here regardless of his production.

This isn't to say Ighalo won't have an impact here. I hardly know anything about him, so I'm open to being pleasantly surprised. We certainly need the bodies...

DavelinaJolie

He's depth, something we desperately needed, and it's a loan til the end of the season. Seems fair enough to me.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Ticks the boxes for both Ole and Woodward imo. (Formerly?) decent striker with good experience, desperate to play for us and should provide competition in a weak area of the squad, whilst simultaneously being fairly low cost and the first ever United player from an African country which has a huge, football mad population.

I think he might even end up signing for is for a couple of years if the loan goes alright.

JMack1234

I'm not bothered by this.

He's coming in as our back up guy for a few months and you'll never get Lewandowski agreeing to do that. He if comes in a scored a handful of goals when we need him I'll be happy with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.