Odion Ighalo - 6 month loan deal done

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshManc

He’s a lot more useful than people on here are making out. You’d think we were signing a 40 year old bloke from a Sunday league team.
Could be 40, wouldn't be the first time a Nigerian has lied about his age.

0le

This is what it feels like to score a last mintue equaliser (Bruno) and then get knocked out on penalties (Ighalo).

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
The last season I can remember over here his first part up until Christmas was fantastic wasn't it? Fell away after that but he's got a goal in him.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It wasn't that long ago that Moyes was getting ridiculed for not getting Fabregas, Bale or Kroos over the line. Now we're shopping in the basement bin for bottom half players (Ighalo, King, Slimani..) and some around here seem content with it :lol:
No one is happy we’re signing Ighalo. However, some of us can actually see reality and not live in a fantasy world. The plan is obviously to replace Lukaku with a forward like Werner, Sancho etc and there is no point wasting money on a player we have no intention of keeping long term. I’m very doubtful of Ole overall but the signings the club are making are very coherent and evidence there’s a plan.

Rashford’s injury has been a big unforeseen blow that’s left us needing a player short term. It’s a zero risk move until we get a long term target next summer.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
OMG, is this actually happening?

Some proper sources reporting it too.

Is he any good?
He's not physical but he used to play with deeney so he didn't need to be. He's a tidy player who is surprisingly skilled and knows his limitations. His composure in the box is his best attribute.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
We needed another attacker. Problem is he'll have to be in quarantine for two weeks, but on the plus side we don't have a game for 16 days after we play Wolves so he'll likely only miss two games tops all being well.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
We needed another attacker. Problem is he'll have to be in quarantine for two weeks, but on the plus side we don't have a game for 16 days after we play Wolves so he'll likely only miss two games tops all being well.
Depends how soon he can get a flight out, I suppose - I've just read that he tried to get out today but couldn't. Do we have a private plane that can go as far as China? :)

Devil may care

Not for me there isn't. You have no idea how low i'd go just to see us to steal top 4.
He's trash, he's not going to help us get top 4, I'm talking about how low do we scrape just to add a body, not to get top 4, they are 2 different things.

It's a complete low risk move to get someone in so we don't have to play 10 or so games with 2 strikers... Who will both have to start games at the same time
The thing is we need to win all of the PL games and he's shite so he's no use there, and we can't throw away the EL games as it's the other route into the CL, so where do we use a crap 30 year old striker who hasn't played top football for 3 years? The FA Cup games?

Red Stone

The stadium walkout that got cancelled after Bruno signed must surely be back on again after this?

Devil may care

I mean surely there's a middle ground somewhere between Lionel Messi and Odion Ighalo?
No, everything is extremes with the kool aid crew. Like Cavani on loan or Alcacer on loan are reasonable middle grounds, we digging to the bottom of the trash heap just to add a body.

Zed 101

wouldn't be surprised if he didn't outscore Martial and Greenwood over the games left this season if he has the minutes, this guy has a point to prove, he has decent enough stats

Falcow

Some people are tedious. We need a body to cover Martial until Rashford returns. The club wouldn’t be targeting the likes of Ighalo and King if it thought they were any sort of long term answer. Maguire and Bruno are what the club considers to be long term answers, hence the fees. We’re after a half decent goalscorer that could provide an option until Rashford comes back.

At worst, he’s a bit shit and doesn’t score many. At best, he’s a useful player that might actually be worth hanging on to in a squad capacity.
Well said kag. The tedium on this forum in general is.......well tedious.

It is though.

binary bot
Where can i put a bet on ighalo 10+ goals. He is the saviour

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I am fine with this and hope he does well. In the summer we need to sign someone so there is competition for places to keep all our strikers on their toes.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
He's not physical but he used to play with deeney so he didn't need to be. He's a tidy player who is surprisingly skilled and knows his limitations. His composure in the box is his best attribute.
Looking at his stats, if he played 20 games for us, all competitions, before the end of the season, I'd expect half a dozen goals from him.

vidic blood & sand

I don't have a problem with this in a vacuum. It's the shambolic running of the club that has forced us into a situation where we're scraping the absolute bottom of the barrel, desperately looking for anyone with a pulse hours before the deadline that I have a problem with. I imagine it's the same for most in here that are complaining.
You mean like what Alex Ferguson did signing Henrik Larson, who played 7 games and scored 1 goal?

Get a grip!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's trash, he's not going to help us get top 4, I'm talking about how low do we scrape just to add a body, not to get top 4, they are 2 different things.

The thing is we need to win all of the PL games and he's shite so he's no use there, and we can't throw away the EL games as it's the other route into the CL, so where do we use a crap 30 year old striker who hasn't played top football for 3 years? The FA Cup games?
So when we need a goal and Mason and Martial are already on the pitch... Who is more likely to get a goal? Him or Lingard?

When one of Martial or Mason inevitably gets injured... Wouldn't it be useful to have a back up? Who has cost us no money?

Devil may care

It's a temporary signing, what are people hoping for.
Someone that isn't trash and who has been playing proper football for the last 3 years? Out of all the players we have been linked with for the striker role he's by far the worst option as he's been out there for way too long and was never that good to begin with.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Better than nothing and it's just a loan. We can't go on with just Martial n Greenwood ffs.

Also if you were expecting Timo Werner or someone that good then more fool you. It's deadline day in January. You don't get top strikers on this day. We've just got to go with it now and use him sparingly to give Martial n Greenwood a breather.

Status
Not open for further replies.