g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

OFFICIAL: Carrick to extend contract for a further year

Larseno

This is great. Carrick will suit Mourinho good. Wonder how big a role he will play in this team. Anyways, he will be a good player to have in the dressing room. I really believe he could still do a job.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I'm fairly happy he's staying to be honest. This season will be a transitional one, what with Mourinho breaking in his new signings and trimming those deemed surplus to requirements, then you've got the potential for a fair number of youth lads making the squad. Having experienced, Ferguson players, like him and Wayne will hopefully ease the transition into the new era of united.

Big difference already between Mourinho's and Moyes' first few weeks: Jose knows the value of continuity and experience for a big club, Moyes didn't and failed.

Reactions: Snowjoe

Oneunited26

Yeah probably, that shouldn´t happen again. I dont think Carrick can play 45 games if we want to improve as a team and be a title contender.

I´m not sure I remember exactly, but Carrick was behind Schneiderlin/Schweini until somewhere around the Arsenal-debacle last fall right?
Its a mystery why we have kept carrick, who's legs have clearly gone, jose talks about Mata's mobility lacking, carrick is 10 times worse. Unless jose may have problems finding the right midfielder, I feel we will need a couple of midfielders, it would be a huge baffling decision if we keep carrick and sell someone like herrera, who's got better mobility and energy than any of our CM players. I do hope herrera and morgan are big part if jose's plans of he tends to play a 433/4231

hobbers

Its a mystery why we have kept carrick, who's legs have clearly gone, jose talks about Mata's mobility lacking, carrick is 10 times worse.
Not really. Carrick's lack of mobility doesn't affect his game much. When it comes to off the ball work, his positional sense and reading of the game makes up for it.

Whereas Mata's lack of mobility and strength renders him completely useless out on the wing, and also means his pressing/defensive work is way sub par to someone much quicker and stronger, like Rooney.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Its a mystery why we have kept carrick, who's legs have clearly gone, jose talks about Mata's mobility lacking, carrick is 10 times worse. Unless jose may have problems finding the right midfielder, I feel we will need a couple of midfielders, it would be a huge baffling decision if we keep carrick and sell someone like herrera, who's got better mobility and energy than any of our CM players. I do hope herrera and morgan are big part if jose's plans of he tends to play a 433/4231
I'd imagine Mourinho rates Carrick as an experienced, stabilizing force in midfield who is integrated into the club and can contribute quality performances when called on. He will almost certainly be a rotating squad player who comes on off the bench later in games contribute 20-30 minutes here and there.

Oneunited26

Not really. Carrick's lack of mobility doesn't affect his game much. When it comes to off the ball work, his positional sense and reading of the game makes up for it.

Whereas Mata's lack of mobility and strength renders him completely useless out on the wing, and also means his pressing/defensive work is way sub par to someone much quicker and stronger, like Rooney.
I'd imagine Mourinho rates Carrick as an experienced, stabilizing force in midfield who is integrated into the club and can contribute quality performances when called on. He will almost certainly be a rotating squad player who comes on off the bench later in games contribute 20-30 minutes here and there.
I think Mata could be used has a number 10 to play off the striker, if we have 2 rampaging wingers with a good anchor man with a driving midfielder, mata can easily work. I don't think shipping off mata solves our problems, if Jose loves the 4231 system, mata actually would work wonders in his favor

madRedDevil07

Carrick can be used in home matches against teams that don't press high and defend deep around their 18 yard box like- Norwich.In those sort of matches Carrick will be an asset with his passing range.Also in those sort of games he won't have to run much to break down an attack.
Also he has been at OT for 10 years - so experience counts to settle down young guns.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Well seeing as Blind has some stiff competition at the back now I would use any of Blind, Fosu-Mensah and Rooney (only because I know he won't be dropped). Carrick, Schnieders (if we must keep him also) and Bastian would be the last 20-min guys if required...till we get decent replacements. We just need a more skillful and pacy midfield without the liability factor.
I agree we need better than what we've got but all of those are more of a liability than picking Carrick from our current options in my opinion.

He's still a useful asset for the Europa league games and home games where we'll dominate possession at least.

Schweinsteiger is the one we should get rid of. Waste of space.

Trizy

Not always been Carrick's biggest fan but it would be harsh to judge any player under LVG. I think we owe him at least another year not to mention he will be a valuable squad player.

Djemba-Djemba

I agree we need better than what we've got but all of those are more of a liability than picking Carrick from our current options in my opinion.

He's still a useful asset for the Europa league games and home games where we'll dominate possession at least.

Yep.

He'll be on much higher wages you'd imagine and he's always injured. It's a no brainer between the two of them for me.

Ixion

I'm pretty dissapointed by this news to be honest, especially if we end up selling Blind and Mata who are many years his junior.

NinjaFletch

There isn't literally a single argument for keeping Carrick that can't be made at least, if not more, strongly for Schweinsteiger too.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Rooney and Carrick get most of the hate but they were our 2 best midfielders last season.

Hell even Fellaini who everyone hates was better than BFS, Margan and Herrera!

The caf is no longer a proper barometer of how good a player is. I believe this happened just after Moyes was hired and went even further through the LVG reign.

degea_s_fringe

Bit part player next season, i would think he was kept because he's one of the few senior players left in the dressing room.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I hope José isn't going down the 'keeping our champions' road even though our champions are 93 years old.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

Fair enough, but to say that Carrick is the best midfielder we have is an exaggeration of some magnitude and one that fills me with despair. We have fallen so behind and been poor the last three years because we are just accepting mediocrity now and hanging on to vastly over-rated players that really aren't as good as people think or want to believe they are. Our squad is peppered with them and I'm hoping Jose has the balls to start clearing them out.

LVG tried it but fecked up big time by replacing quality with mediocrity, bar Martial. Hopefully Jose will get it right but hanging on to the likes of Carrick is not the way forward. Thankfully it's just one year.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Surprised Jose has fallen for the Evil plan...

As we know caf members like @Kag are convinced Carrick and Rooney secretly trying to bring down managers, leak secrets to the press all in an effort to get giggsy in control with Lord Fergie pulling all the strings in the background.

Jose has dug his own grave

Oneunited26

Fair enough, but to say that Carrick is the best midfielder we have is an exaggeration of some magnitude and one that fills me with despair. We have fallen so behind and been poor the last three years because we are just accepting mediocrity now and hanging on to vastly over-rated players that really aren't as good as people think or want to believe they are. Our squad is peppered with them and I'm hoping Jose has the balls to start clearing them out.

LVG tried it but fecked up big time by replacing quality with mediocrity, bar Martial. Hopefully Jose will get it right but hanging on to the likes of Carrick is not the way forward. Thankfully it's just one year.
To be honest since 2008 we have left the squad regress, is our current squad not has good as its made out? we have to see what it can do under a good manager. Many like to hype the past teams, but those teams were not managed under joke managers like Moyes and VG, lets see if Jose can work his magic and build a squad capable of not only challenging, but win trophys. There is a team waiting to come through, it just needs a manager that knows what he is bloody doing

Mr.Kaya

This is great. Carrick will suit Mourinho good. Wonder how big a role he will play in this team. Anyways, he will be a good player to have in the dressing room. I really believe he could still do a job.
I agree. There's only 1 Carrick, and his position in the squad aswell his experience, will be great to have yet another season under a new manager.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

How is it a massive exaggeration when he started the FA cup final and it wasn't even a debate that he should? At the same time you're saying our squad is full of players who need clearing out.

Best of a bad/average bunch I'll agree but it's by no means a stretch to say he's the best we currently have.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
How is it a massive exaggeration when he started the FA cup final and it wasn't even a debate that he should? At the same time you're saying our squad is full of players who need clearing out.

Best of a bad/average bunch I'll agree but it's by no means a stretch to say he's the best we currently have.
Rooney was better than Carrick last season in midfield.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Carrick certainly wasn't as good last year as the few before but nonetheless I'm happy we have him signed on for another year. Partly because he is still good enough to play a certain role very well, and we could use the depth. Also I am hesitant to write off any player based on performances last year as I just don't believe LVG brought the best out of anyone bar a few exceptions.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Happy as I think he'll be a good influence on players off the pitch. Pretty please only play him in the odd minor game though.

Bugshot

He's The Undertaker of our dressing room. Happy that he has extended his stay.

Client6

Really glad he's staying. He's not the type of player who would take the game by the scruff of the neck, my opinion is he never was. It is the things that could go very easily unnoticed yet greatly impact the game that he's exceptional at, and has been till present, barring a handful of performances.

No brainer to extend his contract, his experience and his ability to just calm things down and see out games will be very useful. One of the last links with Fergie's era and while he might not seem the vocal type out on the field, I'm pretty sure he's looked up to by the junior players in the dressing room.

With the midfield that we currently have, I'd start him as much as possible but assuming Mourinho signs midfielders, Carrick would be a bloody good squad player.

Reactions: Kag

Client6

Really glad he's staying. He's not the type of player who would take the game by the scruff of the neck, my opinion is he never was. It is the things that could go very easily unnoticed yet greatly impact the game that he's exceptional at, and has been till present, barring a handful of performances.

No brainer to extend his contract, his experience and his ability to just calm things down and see out games will be very useful. One of the last links with Fergie's era and while he might not seem the vocal type out on the field, I'm pretty sure he's looked up to by the junior players in the dressing room.

With the midfield that we currently have, I'd start him as much as possible but assuming Mourinho signs midfielders, Carrick would be a bloody good squad player.

EDIT: I'm not sure what happened with the double posts there. Apologies.

Scholsey2004

No brainer really. He played more football than s'steiger or fellaini last season. Obviously we still need to sign a midfielder but I'd keep Carrick over s'steiger who looked like carricks dad at times despite being three years younger.

slir32

Very happy with this. Having his experience during Jose's transition is so valuable to the team.

Walters_19_MuFc

One of my all time favourites. Great professional, great player and seems like a great person. Love the guy, and I'm glad he was given a further year.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I'm glad there are sane heads in the club. If not the starting eleven, he is still the core of this squad. We need his experience in and out of the dressing room at least until we have more regular midfielders.

Scholsey2004

I'm glad there are sane heads in the club. If not the starting eleven, he is still the core of this squad. We need his experience in and out of the dressing room at least until we have more regular midfielders.
There's a lot of player turnover at present as well. You need some continuity between past success and the present squad.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
A no-brainer for me, one of the consistent forces for us over many years, a guy with plenty of experience and still plenty of abilities as well. He'll help us plenty next season.

glueman

This. 100%
Exactly ...that's kind of true United legends(like Sparky , big Bruce )served us for a decade , no grumble , didn't think oneself bigger than the club ...respect to Carrick!