Official: FC Barcelona charged with Corruption over payments to former referees chief | UEFA open investigation

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Pol Ballus (Barcelona reporter for Athletic)

Barcelona have been charged with corruption over payments they made to the vice-president of Spanish football’s refereeing committee.

Jose Maria Enriquez Negreira, who held that role between 1994 and 2018, is also facing charges of corruption in a case brought by the Spanish public prosecutor’s office, as is Josep Maria Bartomeu, Barca president from 2014-2020, and Sandro Rosell, president from 2010-2014.

Enriquez Negreira has denied ever favouring Barcelona in terms of refereeing decisions. Barca have explained they hired an “external consultant” who provided reports “related to professional refereeing” and also deny any wrongdoing. All parties — Barca, Enriquez Negreira, Bartomeu and Rosell have been approached for comment by The Athletic.

Full article - https://theathletic.com/4290919/2023/03/10/barcelona-negreira-corruption/?source=emp_shared_article

BBC -

Barcelona have been charged with corruption over payments the club made to Jose Maria Enriquez Negreira, a former vice-president of Spain's referees' committee.

Last month it emerged that Barca have paid Negreira and a company he owns a reported total of 8.4m euros (£7.4m) between 2001 and 2018.

A Barcelona court heard on Friday that Barca, former club officials and Negreira had been indicted for "corruption", "breach of trust" and "false business records".

These lawsuits, brought by the Barcelona public prosecutor's office, target the club, as well as former presidents Josep Maria Bartomeu and Sandro Rosell.
Full article - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64918604

Obviously, a major news so I thought to setup a separate thread as the club themselves have been charged for corruption.

cyberman

They need to be relegated and with their selling of future tv rights, levers bullshit, they are fecked as a club at the highest level for generations since they gambled on revenue they won’t have anymore.
That’s not talking about banned form European competitions as well

BootsyCollins

They need to be relegated and with their selling of future tv rights, levers bullshit, they are fecked as a club at the highest level for generations since they gambled on revenue they won’t have anymore.
That’s not talking about banned form European competitions as well
Agree that they should be, now lets see if they are.

King Kendrick

I feel bad for Barca, if Tebas hadn’t put them in such a levered position, they wouldn’t have had to resort to this.

Sylar

Should take away their CL wins between 1994 and 2018 and award it to the runners up ...

JagUTD

In the words of Pokey LaFarge

Goodbye, Barcelona, so glad I've been shown ya.... To be cheats.

ESR10

Supports
Arsenal
Should take away their CL wins between 1994 and 2018 and award it to the runners up ...
I still have bad dreams of Van Persie’s second yellow.

Was so obvious they had referees in their pocket

cyberman

Happened in Italy didn't it? That was for that sort of stuff wasn't it.
This is much worse. At the end they didn’t even get Juve on buying referees (if I remember)and were treated harshly. I’m sure a Juve fan could explain better than any of my attempts

edit old post from Reddit

Its because people from Juve were innocent according to the final sentence in 2013(and 2011). So the club which was hit the most, was in the end found not guilty...

On 15 June 2011, FIGC announced that former Juventus directors Luciano Moggi and Antonio Giraudo would be banned for life from any football-related roles in Italy. But the sentence stated that no Article 6 (about match-fixing or attempted match-fixing) violations were found within the intercepted calls and the season was fair and legitimate. Also no requests for specific referees, no demands for favours and no conversations between Juventus directors and referees themselves were found.

That why Juve is fighting in court to give them back those 2 tittles.

Fooza

The punishment should be to give us those CL titles and throw in De Jong and 3 any other players we choose for free as compensation for our troubles

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Will be fun when we see different personalities in the game questioning their CL titles. That being said, I definitely think Barcelona and Real Madrid get favourable decisions in the CL and have for a long while.