Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

Spoony

The People's President
How long do you think before the Glazers ask the Council to pay for the new stadium?

They'll sell the club and leave a total rebuild to the next owners. £200m for upgrades and expansion is hardly breaking the bank. Shouldn't have expected more...

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I know, however it seems very convenient timing. What next, the Glazers release a statement saying they're attending the first design team meeting, the next time there is a sign of discontent?
Have you been following United for the last decade and a half? There's discontent every week!

It's inconvenient timing for a lot of people, mainly those that said the initial reports about the stadium being improved were just lip service. Now that one of the leading stadium designers in the world has been hired it's still apparently lip service. Presumably when we go through the design phase it'll be lip service, and when the trucks turn up it'll still be a lip service. Hell, once the work done there will still be people saying that the whole thing was a distraction to get away from the mess the club is in, and those same people have been complaining about the stadium falling apart.

Dan_F

Have you been following United for the last decade and a half? There's discontent every week!

It's inconvenient timing for a lot of people, mainly those that said the initial reports about the stadium being improved were just lip service. Now that one of the leading stadium designers in the world has been hired it's still apparently lip service. Presumably when we go through the design phase it'll be lip service, and when the trucks turn up it'll still be a lip service. Hell, once the work done there will still be people saying that the whole thing was a distraction to get away from the mess the club is in, and those same people have been complaining about the stadium falling apart.
Once details are confirmed and we know exactly what they have planned, people will start to believe it. They’ve done nothing for 15 years to warrant anything but scepticism from supporters, why would it stop now.

edcunited1878

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Better using water power in Manchester (Salford)
Hope they add it to the list. I wouldn't know but imagine for water building a dam or something, solar would be more cost effective and least disruption - the sun wouldn't be blocked and lots of surface area on a stadium roof.

Galatasaray recently did it

Spoony

The People's President
Anfield did a similar renovation - Main Stand, training center, and Anfield Road section of the stadium. Total costs was about 240M pounds. Don't think Carrington is going to be as expensive, just more of an extension and instead of total new build.

That's a like shopping at Lidl. Their stadium isn't something to aspire to.

TheReligion

Abusive
Hope they add it to the list. I wouldn't know but imagine for water building a dam or something, solar would be more cost effective and least disruption - the sun wouldn't be blocked and lots of surface area on a stadium roof.

Galatasaray recently did it

They play in Hell though so plenty of light and energy

RopersReturn

History tells me it’ll be reminiscent of Brightons Goldstone ground story, sold off by the owners with no plan in place.
The Glazers will probably tear down Old Trafford and sell the site to Tesco before exiting.

Giggsy13

Very happy to see that a teardown is not being considered. Redevelop and modernize it. If the Madrid and Barca can readily do it with their stadiums, we should be doing the same.

UnitedFan93

Think I am going to wait to see actual construction, and understand how the whole thing is going to be funded before I start getting carried away and praising the Glazers.

You make it seem like I'm in denial that the stadium redevelopment is going to happen. I'm not. All I'm saying is that the Glazers carefully choose their moment to drop some positive PR, like just before a fan protest. For years we heard nothing from the Glazers. Since the Super League scandal, the OT fan break-in, and the rearranged Liverpool match where the Glazers built the Berlin Wall around OT, we've heard that we're getting a stadium and training ground upgrade, a fan share scheme, that Joel Glazer will attend every fans forum (he's attended just one since then by Zoom!), and that fans will have a bigger voice. Pretty much everything under the sun. 16 years nothing. 1 year everything.

Another thing to mention is that the Glazers have picked the absolute worst time to start a massive redevelopment project. I am a consultant QS in the construction industry and we are on a daily basis informing our clients of rising material prices due to inflation and the war in Ukraine. Steel prices are skyrocketing.

If the Glazers had shown an interest in developing OT before the Super League fiasco, we wouldn't need to be considering different design options. They would already have a plan. I find it laughable that we are all getting excited because we've finally appointed some design consultants. They've been here 17 years ffs and they still don't know the best way to develop Old Trafford.

Any development can be pulled at the drop of a hat, so yeah, I'll wait to see actual construction activity on site before I start getting away. It's the Glazers afterall.

Reactions: Mr Pigeon

copen1945

Think I am going to wait to see actual construction, and understand how the whole thing is going to be funded before I start getting carried away and praising the Glazers.

You make it seem like I'm in denial that the stadium redevelopment is going to happen. I'm not. All I'm saying is that the Glazers carefully choose their moment to drop some positive PR, like just before a fan protest. For years we heard nothing from the Glazers. Since the Super League scandal, the OT fan break-in, and the rearranged Liverpool match where the Glazers built the Berlin Wall around OT, we've heard that we're getting a stadium and training ground upgrade, a fan share scheme, that Joel Glazer will attend every fans forum (he's attended just one since then by Zoom!), and that fans will have a bigger voice. Pretty much everything under the sun. 16 years nothing. 1 year everything.

Another thing to mention is that the Glazers have picked the absolute worst time to start a massive redevelopment project. I am a consultant QS in the construction industry and we are on a daily basis informing our clients of rising material prices due to inflation and the war in Ukraine. Steel prices are skyrocketing.

If the Glazers had shown an interest in developing OT before the Super League fiasco, we wouldn't need to be considering different design options. They would already have a plan. I find it laughable that we are all getting excited because we've finally appointed some design consultants. They've been here 17 years ffs and they still don't know the best way to develop Old Trafford.

Any development can be pulled at the drop of a hat, so yeah, I'll wait to see actual construction activity on site before I start getting away. It's the Glazers afterall.
This probably is the most important aspect of this. This is the first time ever the owners have considered any work on the stadium. This is also just the beginning of the beginning, and the end point hasn't even been determined.

Banana Republic

Is it possible to build a brand new stadium on adjacent land?
Yes.
If you'd been following this thread and the press reports, a brand new stadium, built next door on land Utd already own, is one of the 3 options being looked at.

Today's latest press release, says the brand new stadium option is the least favoured at the moment.
The chosen option will depend on what the design consultants report back.

Several people have asked how long Spurs new stadium took.
It has been correctly answered already.
Over 10 years (actually nearer to 11 years) from start of the project to delivery.
The actual construction work took around 4 years to complete.

I can understand the scepticism and cynical replies, but I can believe this is actually happening, whatever option is decided on.
That not because I've been taken in or am gullible.
The Glazers know the stadium has to generate more income and major renovation or a rebuild is the only way to achieve it.
Fixing up a broken stadium is sunk cost. The redevelopment will be treated as an investment with an intended revenue return.
Note that the new Spurs stadium has provided a seriously big increase in their revenue.

Last edited:

I’m loving my life

As if this is happening.

More fool to anyone taking it seriously.

This is Glazer propaganda and nothing more.

If there was any substance to this idea of them actually caring about the club and wanting anything more then than their ATM then we’d also see improvement on the football pitch.

But we haven’t

So therefore this is bs

Wake up

sparx99

By the time we have gone through design and planning phase it would likely be 2025 and the cost of materials will be significantly changed.

sparx99

Yes.
If you'd been following this thread and the press reports, a brand new stadium, built next door on land Utd already own, is one of the 3 options being looked at.

Today's latest press release, says the brand new stadium option is the least favoured at the moment.

Over 10 years (actually nearer to 11 years) from start of the project to delivery.

I can understand the scepticism and cynical replies, but I can believe this is actually happening, whatever option is decided on.
The Glazers know the stadium has to generate more income and major renovation or a rebuild is the only way to achieve it.
Fixing up a broken stadium is sunk cost. The redevelopment will be treated as an investment with an intended revenue return.
Note that the new Spurs stadium has provided a seriously big increase in their revenue.
Spurs had a variety of their own issues to deal with which shouldnt be an issue for us. Primarily we already own the land required and we have significantly more finance open to us.

copen1945

Yes.

So, the American owners are planning on investing into the club for further 10 more years, beyond the level they have, which is not much. After the 10-year period, they will be able to leverage the new stadium for additional revenue.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
If they find a way to bump up the capacity to 100k I'll be happy.
I'll just feel old Trafford is a historical monument at this point, it would be a shame to blow it up and replace with a bland modern stadium design as inconvenient as its current form may be.

sparx99

So, the American owners are planning on investing into the club for further 10 more years, beyond the level they have, which is not much. After the 10-year period, they will be able to leverage the new stadium for additional revenue.
Nobody is a fan of the Glazers but they are seemingly damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

Just this past couple of years there has been significant maintenance carried out including rail seating, disabled seating and new floodlights. Instead of being a boring piece of news it gets described as the bare minimum etc.

I get that we should be skeptical given some of the Glazers decisions since the takeover but stadium redevelopment happens in cycles. We had largely completed ours in 2006 or 2007 when the Quadrants were done. Lambasting for not having kept up seems strange to me.

Yes, the roof leaked and the stadium is sadly a victim of being extended in the 90’s rather than rebuilt since but it only really makes sense that we are exploring this now. It simply hasn’t needed to be done until recent years.

There is also a clear double standard in that fans don’t want the stadium financed by the club yet I don’t think any major club has ever had a stadium paid for by the owners out of their own pocket. Maybe in the lower leagues. We’ll get a bank loan like everyone does and it’ll be paid for by increased revenues from having better concourses and more expensive corporate suites.

sparx99

I'll just feel old Trafford is a historical monument at this point, it would be a shame to blow it up and replace with a bland modern stadium design as inconvenient as its current form may be.
It’s iconic but not exactly a great design. The expansions have always been awkward looking.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It’s iconic but not exactly a great design. The expansions have always been awkward looking.
It's just hard to let go , its been around forever and during our most successful points in history as well . The superstitious part of me fears we end up like arsenal the way they did with highbury and Etihad.

sparx99

It's just hard to let go , its been around forever and during our most successful points in history as well . The superstitious part of me fears we end up like arsenal the way they did with highbury and Etihad.
It’s a strange one though with Arsenal. I think we just let them blame the stadium while they failed to make the right transfers and decided to be frugal.

£1bn borrowed over 20 years say would cost us £50m plus interest a year. Naming rights and increased revenue covers that. Although it would be nice if a new ground was called The Theatre of Dreams officially.

Bri McFlair!

I'd worry about how they would finance it. Almost certain they'd leverage it against the club adding more debt.

Real Name

Yes.

Thanks. And I agree, to me it seems something is definitely happening on that front. Whoever wants to call me gullible he can, I dont care.

Real Name

As if this is happening.

More fool to anyone taking it seriously.

This is Glazer propaganda and nothing more.

If there was any substance to this idea of them actually caring about the club and wanting anything more then than their ATM then we’d also see improvement on the football pitch.

But we haven’t

So therefore this is bs

Wake up
I really dont understand what's the purpose of this kind of posts.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Why does it have to be bland? That's such a lame argument. We obviously have more funds than a Bolton or Middlesbrough and there's no reason we can't build something cool.

Look at these projects below.

Stadium in China.

New proposed Roma stadium.

New Mestalla.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It’s a strange one though with Arsenal. I think we just let them blame the stadium while they failed to make the right transfers and decided to be frugal.

£1bn borrowed over 20 years say would cost us £50m plus interest a year. Naming rights and increased revenue covers that. Although it would be nice if a new ground was called The Theatre of Dreams officially.
You are clearly more informed on the matters than I am so I'll take your word on the costs not hampering our transfer budgets though you can be just sure that it'll be named something trash like monster energy venue.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Why does it have to be bland? That's such a lame argument. We obviously have more funds than a Bolton or Middlesbrough and there's no reason we can't build something cool.

Look at these projects below.

Stadium in China.

New proposed Roma stadium.

New Mestalla.

Well we sure can but its pretty hard to get the right design and for it to be dignified, innovative and not gimmicky all at the same time.
I have a hard time trusting glazers but they seem to be trying to turn around a corner so we'll just have to wait and see.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
People actually believe that they’re putting this news out now because about 150 people plan on standing outside for 17 minutes on Saturday :lol:

Neil67

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2021/22
Looking at the poll I’d say those that want a rebuild are the fans that don’t go to the games, I’m a season ticket holder of many years and I want OT renovating!

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Well we sure can but its pretty hard to get the right design and for it to be dignified, innovative and not gimmicky all at the same time.
I have a hard time trusting glazers but they seem to be trying to turn around a corner so we'll just have to wait and see.
Agreed, but the hope is the Glazers want something value enhancing to United, rather than some ugly cheap option.

History is an odd one. Nou Camp and Bernabeu are ugly as hell from the outside, but cool inside. Ajax's stadium is brilliant and the atmos is great.