Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

Spoony

The People's President
My company did a bit if work on Annfield... Fulham and will be working Everton if it goes ahead

I think a structure at that size will have to be execution class 4 steel ... there isn't the technical docs in the eurocides for structural composites (frp etc)... concrete would be a eyesore and co2 nightmare.

Steel... and I'd bet 90% certain it goes to severfield for fab... and even without the current steel crisis they were stacked out for about 2 years with committed works... mostly hs2

Hares would be a risk as they dont do many stadiums and they are stacked out with hinckley

Don't think there is uk capacity beyond that and I don't think given the current import / export risks you want to bring it in from hollandia or similar

Severs... steel... if the steel market settles down soon perhaps you could start in 3 to 5 years?

And that's assuming interest rates stay low

Double or triple the build cost and double the interest rates and I can't see the glazers funding it
Yeah but we'll get some cool looking renders of a redeveloped South Stand.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yeah but we'll get some cool looking renders of a redeveloped South Stand.
It's actually bizarre how there's very little to find when you search for any Old Trafford redesigns. It's always that photoshopped mirror of the North stand or that daft one where the roof was turned into a standing area.

...which was, funnily enough, mocked up by a guy from Populous.

Turnbl

Does anyone have a picture/render of what the current stadium looks like without the roof on? I thought there would definitely be a pic of the recent lego set without the roof as an approximation but I can't find anything.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
It's actually bizarre how there's very little to find when you search for any Old Trafford redesigns. It's always that photoshopped mirror of the North stand or that daft one where the roof was turned into a standing area.

The fanzone idea on the roof is still one of those things that I find instantly amusing whether I see this mock-up. Like, why have it ? :lol:

Spoony

The People's President
Yeah and the glazers have probably figured that will be enough to keep people happy for a few years

Perhaps...

Piggy, you should do mock up - 'Old Trafford sponsorsed by Piggy from Redcafe'. I've always wanted United to be sponsored by Vimto. I like the sound of the Vimto Arena.

choccy77

Should just build a coliseum, we pretty much throw our players to the lions every week anyhow.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Perhaps...

Piggy, you should do mock up - 'Old Trafford sponsorsed by Piggy from Redcafe'. I've always wanted United to be sponsored by Vimto. I like the sound of the Vimto Arena.
And have Populous steal my ideas? No chance!

I've already submitted my proposal to the Glazers anyway, including the tunnels I'll need for my trapdoor system that randomly opens up around the pitch at the 60 minute mark. Just need to find a way to drain the canal and safely fill it with spiders and I'm pretty sure they'll give me the contract.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It's a fair point but maybe they could design with this in mind - wood? Composites? You could sell a wooden structure as being sustainable, green etc so is it beyond the realms? I think Forest Green did it with their (admittedly relatively tiny) stadium recently.

Edit: Looks like it's not actually been built yet but what a beaut https://www.newcivilengineer.com/la...dium-moves-step-closer-to-reality-05-02-2021/
Not a structural engineer by any means but I’m pretty sure a near 100,000 capacity stadium wieghs a fair bit more than 5,000. Also Forrest Greens is planned in an out of town location I think?

Spoony

The People's President
And have Populous steal my ideas? No chance!

I've already submitted my proposal to the Glazers anyway, including the tunnels I'll need for my trapdoor system that randomly opens up around the pitch at the 60 minute mark. Just need to find a way to drain the canal and safely fill it with spiders and I'm pretty sure they'll give me the contract.
We'll sue the bastards for stealing your ideas, mate!

stevoc

Whatever scheme is chosen, the Glazers won't be funding it.
The club will be obtaining the funding through a finance package.

I dislike the Glazers as much as any United fan but isn't this how the vast majority of clubs would fund a stadium revamp?

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
For 5 years until reconstruction has been completed. But it'll will increase to 25m per year - we could wait and see for the breakdown, but I don't see any reason why it's such an unbelievable amount.
Because the deal doesn’t even go past 5 years. We’ve seen the breakdown, there’s no mention of it anywhere.

It’s an unbelievable amount as no one is getting that, even city’s friendly sponsor isn’t paying them that much.

dove

Whatever scheme is chosen, the Glazers won't be funding it.
The club will be obtaining the funding through a finance package.

Which club in the world can afford to spend this much money from their bank account without financing it? Even the oil clubs would struggle to fabricate their sponsorship deals to cover that.

Banana Republic

I dislike the Glazers as much as any United fan but isn't this how the vast majority of clubs would fund a stadium revamp?
Yes. Almost all stadium rebuilds or revamps will have been funded in a similar way.
Just like any other large capital project, whether it's a stadium, skyscraper, large business or industrial park, a large transport infrastructure project or whatever.
It's entirely normal that the company will acquire the funding on take on the risk, regardless of who the owner(s) are.

copen1945

The fanzone idea on the roof is still one of those things that I find instantly amusing whether I see this mock-up. Like, why have it ? :lol:
Per match, let's kill a few people by having them catch a cold in the pouring rain. Lovely idea, especially in the days of the pandemic that has become endemic. I presume this was drawn up before the world-wide mess.

Cloud7

The fans on the roof made me laugh a lot more than it should have :lol:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
The principal reason for any redevelopment and the reason we haven't built the ground up any further to date hinges on the South Stand - its size and location.

Why would we rebuild it to the same size, in the same place? That makes zero sense.

Either you:

a) add seats and boxes to the current structure - meaning building over the railway line and growing the footprint
or
b) you knock the ground down and build somewhere else away from its current position.

The only option within a reasonable version of the current footprint is simply adding a wall of executive boxes to the top of the stand until it's the same height as the rest of the roof/ground but then you're still constrained in size by the current stand so they wouldn't be massive.

Droid_Repairs

If they tear it down, you can be absolutely sure it'll never be 'Old Trafford' again. It'll be 'The Team Viewer stadium' or 'The Durex Arena' or some bullshit.

The Red Thinker

They’ll feck it up. It’ll be underwhelming and leave the club in further debt. It’s what our owners do. Why should I feel any other way?
Because unlike players who have a limited shelf life and value to a club, infrastructure and increased revenue add to overall value of the club. Should they choose to sell, this will significantly add more value. Hence, they'll do it right. If Populous are doing it, then it'll be cracking.

Spoony

The People's President
Would a new South Stand and a lick of paint make United more appealing for potential buyers? They (Glazers) don't really need to modernise the stadium to keep milking the club(for how long....). But a stadium that may not need immediate improvement could work for them if they're thinking about cashing in. Surely a £200m+ outlay would take years to become profitable. So what's in it for them? They've got to make us competitive again to ensure future profits....and that won't come cheap. Selling the club for huge profits seems logical.

Skills

Snitch
Maybe we should go the opposite way, and go for a completely crowd free stadium? 0 capacity, loads of cameras for virtual viewing?

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Well done, Glazers.

Well done to you and your banker lackeys. Not even a die hard scousers could’ve done a better sabotage job than this. Short of relegation and going into administration, it’s a stellar job.
Still time to outdo yourselves though.

Spoony

The People's President
Because the deal doesn’t even go past 5 years. We’ve seen the breakdown, there’s no mention of it anywhere.

It’s an unbelievable amount as no one is getting that, even city’s friendly sponsor isn’t paying them that much.

It's 5m Euros for a few years...4 I think and then 20m Euros. The reason why they'll be getting 5m for a few years is because the stadium will be under construction which will result in Barca playing elsewhere for two years.

https://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2022/04/01/6246f94ce2704ef19d8b45bd.html

'The stadium.

Meanwhile, as Spotify have earned the naming rights to Camp Nou, Barcelona will earn five million euros each season until the Espai Barça works are completed.

Then, they will earn 20m euros each season for the remaining eight years of the contract, according to RAC1.'

Last edited:

MUW4Eva

Well this is good news at long last!

Something positive is better than it all being a negative....