Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

Drew93

The roof is an integral part of the structure. I'm sure an engineer will correct me though. My gripe is with the way the upper quadrants look. They're so ad hoc.
Snap! The quadrants look so out of place it’s unreal.

copen1945

With the world as it is and will be, I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to take on a loan of a billion pounds.

Hal9000

In all honesty i think it will be a nou camp/real madrid style revamp, with extension of the south stand. How ever a revamp won't fix one of the main issues with the stadium and that's the small/narrow seating. Yes you can have fancy facilties, better toilets, better experiences with a revamp but your still going to have 90 minutes of your knees digging into someones back.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
In all honesty i think it will be a nou camp/real madrid style revamp, with extension of the south stand. How ever a revamp won't fix one of the main issues with the stadium and that's the small/narrow seating. Yes you can have fancy facilties, better toilets, better experiences with a revamp but your still going to have 90 minutes of your knees digging into someones back.

Would probably be made worse with a rebuild, Ryanair style money gouging. More people crammed in to make more money.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
That is so true. Even getting to seats is difficult due to the space between the rows

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
It really is a full new stadium that's needed. Love the place but it's just past its sell by date.
Don't see it happening under the Glazers all the same

edgymnerch

It's very historical and iconic and a huge part of our history. But it has issues. I would prefer to renovate it especially the roof.

Rebuilding is far more costly anyways.

redcucumber

Would much rather a comprehensive rebuild in the same vein as the Bernabau and Camp Nou, if it's possible. Old Trafford should be preserved if the engineering allows for it.

Also, I know it was years ago, but Arsenal massively fecked up moving from Highbury to the Emirates. Given how disastrously wrong everything else has been with United in recent years, it's hard to imagine a new stadium rebuild going perfectly well. We'd have buyer's remorse.

TenOuttaTenHag

Tragic groin strain syndrome.
Release at half and full time, with a ramble to the concourse.

TenOuttaTenHag

I was surprised to read that Spurs went and built a new ground, and only made it as big (capacity wise), as they did. 62,850.
(Arsenal 60,000).

They see Liverpool lobbing stands on to gain capacity, I thought it would have made sense for Spurs to go at least 75,000.

Perhaps it’s been designed to easy add capacity?

The surprise of the stadium capacity checking was the grounds at Bournemouth and Brentford.
11,000 and 17,000 respectively.

Fulham too, at 19,000.

We are sitting pretty compared to some. Albeit with raindrops falling on our head.

Reactions: Mr Pigeon

Spoony

The People's President
The old tunnel is the only truly historic part of the world ground that's left. The rest is awful piecemeal stuff.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I'd say do a Spurs and rebuild it on the same site.

We should have a 100k seater stadium - and we'd still sell it out most games.

Anything that makes getting a ticket easier, I'm all for.

Gordon Godot

I'd say do a Spurs and rebuild it on the same site.

We should have a 100k seater stadium - and we'd still sell it out most games.

Anything that makes getting a ticket easier, I'm all for.
Rebuild never going to happen, where is the money? Glazers will go for cheapest option, personally i doubt anything beyond cosmetic happens under the current owners. Any works will be funded by adding to the current £500m of debt, which will take more money from football side.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Rebuild never going to happen, where is the money? Glazers will go for cheapest option, personally i doubt anything beyond cosmetic happens under the current owners. Any works will be funded by adding to the current £500m of debt, which will take more money from football side.
Listened to a football finance expert on a podcast the other day stating exactly this. Arsenal and Spurs borrowed to build their stadiums, but due to the debt we've got it isn't really an option for us. It'll be whatever is cheapest to keep it serviceable

Gurtej

Sell the naming rights? 20-30m a year for 10 or 20 years…. 500m from the deal and another 500m from club revenues….1b will be enough to modernise the stadium I guess?

Gordon Godot

Sell the naming rights? 20-30m a year for 10 or 20 years…. 500m from the deal and another 500m from club revenues….1b will be enough to modernise the stadium I guess?
By 500m from club revenues you mean doubling the debt to £1bn. Not good, wont happen, and would handicap the club to invest in other areas. If it werent for the Glazers LBO, debt used just to finance their acquisition, we could do this. But now we cant.

RopersReturn

As previously mentioned, if we’re erring towards the ‘cheaper’ option, then a lot could be done on remodelling the roof. And those dreadful quadrant sections, they’ve surely got to go, what were the architects thinking?

An even bigger challenge is the old Stretford end because it backs on to a railway line. I’m not a structural engineer, but wouldn’t it mean moving any new stand away from the line for it to blend in with existing fabrications?

Last edited:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
By 500m from club revenues you mean doubling the debt to £1bn. Not good, wont happen, and would handicap the club to invest in other areas. If it werent for the Glazers LBO, debt used just to finance their acquisition, we could do this. But now we cant.
Glad you've worked it out to save me the trouble, what would the repayment be on borrowing £1b, how much extra revenue would we get from a bigger capacity with a lot more scope for sales and packages and what would be the shortfall?

Hal9000

Would probably be made worse with a rebuild, Ryanair style money gouging. More people crammed in to make more money.
Doubtful, all modern stadium i have been to have plenty of seating room. Yeah your still rubbing shoulders with people sometimes, but your not cramped like a sardine. Spurs stadium has a massive amount of leg room and you even have cupholders on the back of the seat in front for your beer.

Have to remember Old Trafford, till the early 90s had terraces and a lot of the capacity was standing. I'm not sure how they would fix the cramped situation in a revamped stadium.

As previously mentioned, if we’re erring towards the ‘cheaper’ option, then a lot could be done on remodelling the roof. And those dreadful quadrant sections, they’ve surely got to go, what were the architects thinking?

An even bigger challenge is the old Stretford end because it backs on to a railway line. I’m not a structural engineer, but wouldn’t it mean moving any new stand away from the line for it to blend in with existing fabrications?
The talk is it for being built up and over the line, so the line would tunnel underneath the stand. How ever their is probably other ways they can do it now. You look at what they did at Craven Cottage with the stand that backs onto the Thames.

Last edited:

Hal9000

Would much rather a comprehensive rebuild in the same vein as the Bernabau and Camp Nou, if it's possible. Old Trafford should be preserved if the engineering allows for it.

Also, I know it was years ago, but Arsenal massively fecked up moving from Highbury to the Emirates. Given how disastrously wrong everything else has been with United in recent years, it's hard to imagine a new stadium rebuild going perfectly well. We'd have buyer's remorse.
Only reason Arsenal fecked up is that they built that stadium to increase capacity and matchday revenue when matchday revenue was worth something. Then Roman took over Chelsea just before the broke ground, then two years after it opened City was brought out. Then it became less matchday revenue and more oil money.

Gordon Godot

Glad you've worked it out to save me the trouble, what would the repayment be on borrowing £1b, how much extra revenue would we get from a bigger capacity with a lot more scope for sales and packages and what would be the shortfall?
If you seriously think that Glazers are going to take the business risk of borrowing all that cash for a new revenue stream that will take a couple of years to come on stream and 20 plus years then I think you have been following a different club for the last decade. Its not happening under these owners, likely also be the cases that existing debt has various covenants that limit amout of additional debt that is allowed

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
If you seriously think that Glazers are going to take the business risk of borrowing all that cash for a new revenue stream that will take a couple of years to come on stream and 20 plus years then I think you have been following a different club for the last decade. Its not happening under these owners, likely also be the cases that existing debt has various covenants that limit amout of additional debt that is allowed
Thanks for the figures.

choccy77

I was surprised to read that Spurs went and built a new ground, and only made it as big (capacity wise), as they did. 62,850.
(Arsenal 60,000).

They see Liverpool lobbing stands on to gain capacity, I thought it would have made sense for Spurs to go at least 75,000.

Perhaps it’s been designed to easy add capacity?

The surprise of the stadium capacity checking was the grounds at Bournemouth and Brentford.
11,000 and 17,000 respectively.

Fulham too, at 19,000.

We are sitting pretty compared to some. Albeit with raindrops falling on our head.
It's based on average fanbase.

Spurs would struggle to fill 75,000 without having more away fans, aside from big games, they wouldn't fill it.

Plus there would have ben consultation re what the area could handle on a match day etc and there would be limits in place by the council.

The other teams also have smaller fanbases, Brentfords I know can be extended if required.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It's based on average fanbase.

Spurs would struggle to fill 75,000 without having more away fans, aside from big games, they wouldn't fill it.

Plus there would have ben consultation re what the area could handle on a match day etc and there would be limits in place by the council.

The other teams also have smaller fanbases, Brentfords I know can be extended if required.
In commercial terms, it's not just about how many fans are in the stadium. It's also about how much they each spend on average whilst they are there (ticket price aside). A better stadium, with more (and better) facilities, that's nicer to spend more time in before and after matches, and more things to potentially spend money on, gives the club more income per-seat.

It'll be hard for United to maximise match-day income per seat without building a new stadium from scratch.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
we’re going to build a new stadium and make liverpool pay for it.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
You do know the planning process on this could take a few years, right? We've only just hired the 'master planner' or whatever crap name they were labelled as.
It's all talk until something actually happens. They're yet to deliver on any of their promises made in the aftemath of the Super League scandal. They're a mafia.

pascell

It's all talk until something actually happens. They're yet to deliver on any of their promises made in the aftemath of the Super League scandal. They're a mafia.
What do you think the planners are doing? They've got to come up with the correct plan which satisfies all parties, all the Glazers did with this move was appease fans for a while and make sure they locked themselves in as owners for a few more years.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
What do you think the planners are doing? They've got to come up with the correct plan which satisfies all parties, all the Glazers did with this move was appease fans for a while and make sure they locked themselves in as owners for a few more years.
I mean, they hired Rangnick as a footballing consultant before that got the boot within a few months so the Glazers definitely have more of a track record in f*cking things up than delivering on promises or being successful football owners. I am very, very sceptical of anything matetialising here.

choccy77

If it was a new stadium, you won't see it for at least 10 years at the earliest.

Partial rebuilds maybe could start in 3 to 4 if it's just south stand, but still looking at 18 months to 2 years of planning for this.

Also, the price on materials right now is at an all time high, meaning it could all be to expensive.

A full identical stadium like Spurs, which cost £1b would now cost between £1.6 & £1.8b in comparison if it started today.

RoyH1

If it was a new stadium, you won't see it for at least 10 years at the earliest.

Partial rebuilds maybe could start in 3 to 4 if it's just south stand, but still looking at 18 months to 2 years of planning for this.

Also, the price on materials right now is at an all time high, meaning it could all be to expensive.

A full identical stadium like Spurs, which cost £1b would now cost between £1.6 & £1.8b in comparison if it started today.
Very good point. With the current prices on energy and materials, construction costs are sky rocketing. The company I work with has suspended a build and two refurbishment projects due to steel prices as well as scarcity of certain types of wooden fittings

Evans999

Watched the England women's game and there appeared to be screens at Old Trafford, is that just for euros? Never really been bothered by the lack of them

Robin

Watched the England women's game and there appeared to be screens at Old Trafford, is that just for euros? Never really been bothered by the lack of them
Yes, but they won’t entertain them in the premier league as the attendance was a full house of 68,000 so 5000 less than capacity.

sparx99

Our best bet may be to use safe standing as the best solution to the cramped leg room. The lower tiers are the big problem in terms of leg room. Renovate thoese areas with safe standing allows you to not need to dig up the concrete treads that make up the seating. Then tiers 2 & 3 along with the roof can be rebuilt and reconfigured.