Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

Bosws87

As a person that has done every stadium in the league and the majority of them last season i can tell you its miles behind what the standard is now, that's not just spurs stadium either which is absolutely incredible.

The problem with old trafford isn't the view or the pitch/seating the problem is the access, the concourse and service in general, the actual viewing experience of the football/atmosphere (when there is one) is completely fine.

There are of course a lot worse Goodison park is the prime example its absolutely awful all round.

How we would solve the issues without knocking it down and rebuilding it seems impossible (i'm clueless in building) but there doesn't seem to be a way we could redesign the whole concourse turnstiles etc without starting from scratch.

Gazza

I love OT and can't bear the idea of knocking it down and building a new 'stadia' from scratch. It feels like an excessive and unnecessary solution to a problem in which there isn't even consensus about in the first place. I'd much rather go the Bernabau and Camp Nou approach and spend however much necessary to dramatically update and improve what is already there (I'm aware of the issues with the adjacent trainline). I know there's a hankering for constant development and building up in this world, but I can't help shake the feeling that it often does more harm than good in lots of instances. How does Anfield compare? Are lots of Liverpool fans desperate to knock it down and start again?

I also fundamentally disagree with the notion that it's just "bricks and mortar". Humans always attach symbolic and emotional meaning to things important to them. That emotional sort of thinking will obviously feel like an impediment to progress for those wanting a new stadium for United, but if said progress amounts to slightly more leg room, shorter queue times for a bottle of beer, and massive screens then it doesn't feel worth it.
i completely agree

stevoc

I love OT and can't bear the idea of knocking it down and building a new 'stadia' from scratch. It feels like an excessive and unnecessary solution to a problem in which there isn't even consensus about in the first place. I'd much rather go the Bernabau and Camp Nou approach and spend however much necessary to dramatically update and improve what is already there (I'm aware of the issues with the adjacent trainline). I know there's a hankering for constant development and building up in this world, but I can't help shake the feeling that it often does more harm than good in lots of instances. How does Anfield compare? Are lots of Liverpool fans desperate to knock it down and start again?

I also fundamentally disagree with the notion that it's just "bricks and mortar". Humans always attach symbolic and emotional meaning to things important to them. That emotional sort of thinking will obviously feel like an impediment to progress for those wanting a new stadium for United, but if said progress amounts to slightly more leg room, shorter queue times for a bottle of beer, and massive screens then it doesn't feel worth it.
Good post, knocking it down would be vandalism. Not to mention a waste of time and money. If Real and Barca deem their stadiums too important to demolish then at twice the age OT certainly shouldn't be.

The stadium has been renovated and expanded probably 10-15 times in its 100 year history as it's grew with the club. And hopefully that will continue.

I just couldn't imagine United playing anywhere but OT.

Spoony

The People's President
As a person that has done every stadium in the league and the majority of them last season i can tell you its miles behind what the standard is now, that's not just spurs stadium either which is absolutely incredible.

The problem with old trafford isn't the view or the pitch/seating the problem is the access, the concourse and service in general, the actual viewing experience of the football/atmosphere (when there is one) is completely fine.

There are of course a lot worse Goodison park is the prime example its absolutely awful all round.

How we would solve the issues without knocking it down and rebuilding it seems impossible (i'm clueless in building) but there doesn't seem to be a way we could redesign the whole concourse turnstiles etc without starting from scratch.
It's outdated in every department. If I were the Glazers I'd give it lick of paint and then sell the club leaving the next owners to worry about it.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Yeah...just completed the Survey.

I've been coming to Old Trafford as a ST since 1987 and there is no doubt the ground needs a rethink.

Whether that it is a revamp or a rebuild I don't know.

My only additional thought is if they do decide to do a serious upgrade then they should build a smaller stadium next to it to use for Reserve/Women's games with a reasonable capacity. We have the space and it would be a lot better than using Leigh Sports Village, Altrincham and other places.

JB7

Where is better overall then in your view? There's only Spurs new ground I haven't done in the league so won't comment on that as it's pretty clear that it's miles ahead of the rest, and like you I did the majority last season and don't think I'd rather watch my football every other week at any of those stadiums than OT. I agree it needs modernising but lets not pretend the standard of Premier League grounds is something that it isn't.

Arsenal is subjective in case that's one you're likely to say. It ticks boxes with looking really smart and having a lot of leg room but it's style over substance in some ways as it comes at the cost of any the stadium having any atmosphere whatsoever and I think that's important in a stadium.

Tiber

It will never happen because it wont be cheap, but I'd love to see the stadium (respectfully) torn down and rebuilt from the ground up.

History is awesome. But I have been lucky enough to visit a couple of modern NFL stadiums and the new Spurs ground and Old Trafford simply doesn't compare to any of them - a new roof and some paint won't chage that

El Zoido

The thought of knocking it down is tragic, it’s too iconic and there’s so much history there. Renovate it, it’s still a fantastic looking stadium. The facilities need a huge upgrade though.

sparx99

The thought of knocking it down is tragic, it’s too iconic and there’s so much history there. Renovate it, it’s still a fantastic looking stadium. The facilities need a huge upgrade though.
A renovation would require the iconic roof to go leaving it looking completely different and therefore not iconic anymore.

redcucumber

It will never happen because it wont be cheap, but I'd love to see the stadium (respectfully) torn down and rebuilt from the ground up.

History is awesome. But I have been lucky enough to visit a couple of modern NFL stadiums and the new Spurs ground and Old Trafford simply doesn't compare to any of them - a new roof and some paint won't chage that
What is it about the Spurs stadium that makes the experience so great? For me, I get to OT with my friends/family 10 minutes before the game, watch United, get a beer at half-time, and then leave at the final whistle. Are the people that want a new stadium making more of the match day experience? The magic of OT is what makes the experience of visiting special for me, 20 years on since first visiting. Do new stadiums capture that? If so, fair play. I'd love to visit the Spurs stadium to see what the crack is. Don't they charge an absolute arm and a leg, though?

Tiber

What is it about the Spurs stadium that makes the experience so great? For me, I get to OT with my friends/family 10 minutes before the game, watch United, get a beer at half-time, and then leave at the final whistle. Are the people that want a new stadium making more of the match day experience? The magic of OT is what makes the experience of visiting special for me, 20 years on since first visiting. Do new stadiums capture that? If so, fair play. I'd love to visit the Spurs stadium to see what the crack is. Don't they charge an absolute arm and a leg, though?
Good question!

I was at Spurs stadium for an NFL game so I don't want to comment on the standard match day experience.

My team lost in embarrassing fashion so it definitely isn't nostalgia, but whilst it's hard to put my finger on exactly why, the whole experience was just great. Getting in and out of the stadium, getting up to the higher levels, the space in your row, the view from your seat....its just great. I spent a lot of time thinking this was exactly what going to a modern football game should feel like.

Very very fluffy response, but honestly it's just a great place to watch a sports game.

Bosws87

Where is better overall then in your view? There's only Spurs new ground I haven't done in the league so won't comment on that as it's pretty clear that it's miles ahead of the rest, and like you I did the majority last season and don't think I'd rather watch my football every other week at any of those stadiums than OT. I agree it needs modernising but lets not pretend the standard of Premier League grounds is something that it isn't.

Arsenal is subjective in case that's one you're likely to say. It ticks boxes with looking really smart and having a lot of leg room but it's style over substance in some ways as it comes at the cost of any the stadium having any atmosphere whatsoever and I think that's important in a stadium.
I'm not interested in style here i just expect the bare minimum as a modern day stadium to have a wide spacey concourse which is accessible all around or the majority of it.

I can name emirates, Etihad, Wembley (when spurs played there) off the top of my head, im in the safe standing part of Old trafford currently so my concourse experience maybe worse then yours as i know there's larger open areas in some of the stands but mine is a little box room which you can hardly move in.

The food and drink options are also lacking more then a good number of places not a huge dealbreaker for me (would love an actual pint though) but i can see that being a downfall for a large portion.

i didn't try the facilities at Anfield as i was already heading home at half time but i presume they are sort of like us.

I actually really dislike the padded seating and the tourist like feel to the emirates when pitchside the rest of the stadium is brilliant though!

As a strict football die hard i could moan and say the great choice of food, drinks and space and access of spurs stadium is pointless and nothing to do with football, but i'm trying to view it from the larger picture of a family day out etc.

clarkydaz

how is that experience for you? im in streford end and its carnage, thats after missing last 5 mins of the first half to que up

Bosws87

how is that experience for you? im in streford end and its carnage, thats after missing last 5 mins of the first half to que up
I usually have to sacrifice 10 minutes of the first half if i want a nice calm pint in J stand.

Nice and calm used as loosely as possible for a plastic bottle of carling :lol:

clarkydaz

I usually have to sacrifice 10 minutes of the first half if i want a nice calm pint in J stand.

Nice and calm used as loosely as possible for a plastic bottle of carling :lol:
then we have to slug it down quick to get the start of the 2nd half. Drink, speak to mates, or miss the match. You decide :lol:

JB7

I'm not interested in style here i just expect the bare minimum as a modern day stadium to have a wide spacey concourse which is accessible all around or the majority of it.

I can name emirates, Etihad, Wembley (when spurs played there) off the top of my head, im in the safe standing part of Old trafford currently so my concourse experience maybe worse then yours as i know there's larger open areas in some of the stands but mine is a little box room which you can hardly move in.

The food and drink options are also lacking more then a good number of places not a huge dealbreaker for me (would love an actual pint though) but i can see that being a downfall for a large portion.

i didn't try the facilities at Anfield as i was already heading home at half time but i presume they are sort of like us.

I actually really dislike the padded seating and the tourist like feel to the emirates when pitchside the rest of the stadium is brilliant though!

As a strict football die hard i could moan and say the great choice of food, drinks and space and access of spurs stadium is pointless and nothing to do with football, but i'm trying to view it from the larger picture of a family day out etc.
I'm in Stretty tier 1 so believe me, I'm with you in terms of wanting the bare minimum and agree larger concourses is obviously a part of that. But yeah, hard disagree on those three stadia - Emirates for the reason I highlighted previously, Wembley is very similar as well in terms of not being steep enough so it can be a poor view if you're not tall (luckily I am) and I don't think Etihad is any better than Old Trafford for concourse space is it? The top tier certainly isn't anyway. Anfield was pretty basic yeah, the only real benefit there is you're right on top of the pitch which is unusual for such a big club.

I agree with you in terms of the options of food and drinks etc I agree too but that's going to be a supply issue rather than a stadium issue. The relative lack of refreshments sections inside the ground is also part of the issue (which all comes back to space inside the concourse obviously).

There are definitely stadiums around Europe that are comfortably ahead, Bayern and Atletico to name two we've been to in recent years, I'm sure Real & Barca's will be as well once redeveloped so we definitely do need to do serious work on Old Trafford I'm just not sure any of the PL venues other than Spurs are places I'd rather watch my football week in week out.

Hal9000

The issue we have that Barca and Real don't, is that we don't have anywhere to play during any renovations to Old Trafford. Real pushed forward the bigger works during Covid and played at a smaller ground and Barca have a 60k+ Stadium around the corner that they will use. Doing the renovations to OT whilst games are ongoing, and trying to have some attendance will take years and probably be just as expensive. Real Madrids revamp is going to cost 800-900 mil euros at latest estimates.. and they don't have a major technical challenge of a functioning rail line, and i'm not even sure you can get around the cramped nature of Old Trafford without reduced campacty.

I think most peoples views are of Old Trafford are the same some people had about Highbury, White Heart Lane, Boelyn Ground etc, but it's maybe time to move on. We've got enough land around the place to build another stadium without the technical challenges that comes with renovating Old Trafford. You can then vastly increase the match day experience for everyone who attends. You can also make it and the area a venue not just for 30/40 matches a year and a few tourist tours.

Spurs, Real Madrid, Barca, the newer US stadiums, hell even what Fulham have done with the Riverside stand should be where we are aiming. We're one of the biggest clubs in the world and should have a stadium fit for that and shouldn't rely on nostalgia to hold us back.

We could have fan zones, resturants, hotels, we could have space like Spurs fans do and not have your knees pushed into the seat infront. Modern day football and teams, are no longer about the people who turn up a few mins before kick off, have a beer, then feck off. It should and they want it to be about the day out. It's what US sports do well (atmosphere aside) I don't think iv'e ever had to queue more than a minute to get a food or drink anytime iv'e went to watch an American sport.

Dejohn

Having seen the cost analysis for some of these options (I work in Construction Design) its pretty obvious that a new stadium is in order.

Barcelona and Real Madrid didn't have the spare land to consider a rebuild, but no doubt they would have done if they had the option.

Manchester United have tons of space and a new stadium just makes so much more sense. You could throw hundreds of millions at Old Trafford and still have limitations that can't be overcome.

A new stadium will be built on adjacent land and Old Trafford (with a reduced capacity) will remain as an academy/womens stadium so that all the history like the Munich Tunnel can be saved.

A new stadium will also bring in a good amount of money from naming rights to pay for some of the development, whereas a refurbished Old Trafford would always be referred to as Old Trafford and therefore wouldn't be worth selling the rights for.

I get the emotional links with the existing stadium but it just doesn't make any financial sense and as always money talks.

Reactions: Sultan

TOKUGAWA-X

My wish list for the renovated OT:

-Turn the SE into a giant one tier stand.

-Keep the current distance between pitch and stands.

-Level the roof, St. james park style, that would automatically make OT look taller, dont install a modern, predictable roof, keep the current one style.

-Eliminate the North stand tier 3 so that South, west stands also only have 2 tiers, leaving like i said the SE as a special stand.

Spoony

The People's President
The issue we have that Barca and Real don't, is that we don't have anywhere to play during any renovations to Old Trafford. Real pushed forward the bigger works during Covid and played at a smaller ground and Barca have a 60k+ Stadium around the corner that they will use. Doing the renovations to OT whilst games are ongoing, and trying to have some attendance will take years and probably be just as expensive. Real Madrids revamp is going to cost 800-900 mil euros at latest estimates.. and they don't have a major technical challenge of a functioning rail line, and i'm not even sure you can get around the cramped nature of Old Trafford without reduced campacty.

I think most peoples views are of Old Trafford are the same some people had about Highbury, White Heart Lane, Boelyn Ground etc, but it's maybe time to move on. We've got enough land around the place to build another stadium without the technical challenges that comes with renovating Old Trafford. You can then vastly increase the match day experience for everyone who attends. You can also make it and the area a venue not just for 30/40 matches a year and a few tourist tours.

Spurs, Real Madrid, Barca, the newer US stadiums, hell even what Fulham have done with the Riverside stand should be where we are aiming. We're one of the biggest clubs in the world and should have a stadium fit for that and shouldn't rely on nostalgia to hold us back.

We could have fan zones, resturants, hotels, we could have space like Spurs fans do and not have your knees pushed into the seat infront. Modern day football and teams, are no longer about the people who turn up a few mins before kick off, have a beer, then feck off. It should and they want it to be about the day out. It's what US sports do well (atmosphere aside) I don't think iv'e ever had to queue more than a minute to get a food or drink anytime iv'e went to watch an American sport.
They could do one stand a time but that'll mean it'll probably take 6 years to complete.

Last edited:

Gazza

A lot of talk about access to refreshments being a driving factor in this decision. I find it crazy. Like people who go to the cinema and stock up on overpriced packaged candy and snacks. Eat before the game! Drink before the game! Whenever I've gone to OT or any stadium I typically give the refreshment stands a swerve. Would be a shame if we sacrificed all the history and character that OT has built because people want to be able to get their pies and lager at half-time. Issues such as leg space and comfort are more valid, but refreshments? Not for me, Clive.

bazza3727

Are we talking about a day out experience - or supporting the team in red?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Unfortunately unless we modernise and keep up with the competition, we aren’t going to be much fun to support in the field.

Zippycup

Clueless nonsense.
Old Trafford is a prestigious stadium but it was built in 1910 and despite investing millions in it's upkeep the decay is gradually getting worse
Ask yourself this. Do you really think the Glazers would invest circa of £1billion in a new stadium if they didn't have to?

They've already invested £100m (or so they say) in the stadium and its made little difference. Cosmetically the stadium looks fantastic
OK, it's an overreaction to say its 'litteraly falling apart' However, if major capital isnt invested then it won't be long until it is.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
It's obviously both when you have families and children/old people attending.

Having seen the cost analysis for some of these options (I work in Construction Design) its pretty obvious that a new stadium is in order.

Barcelona and Real Madrid didn't have the spare land to consider a rebuild, but no doubt they would have done if they had the option.

Manchester United have tons of space and a new stadium just makes so much more sense. You could throw hundreds of millions at Old Trafford and still have limitations that can't be overcome.

A new stadium will be built on adjacent land and Old Trafford (with a reduced capacity) will remain as an academy/womens stadium so that all the history like the Munich Tunnel can be saved.

A new stadium will also bring in a good amount of money from naming rights to pay for some of the development, whereas a refurbished Old Trafford would always be referred to as Old Trafford and therefore wouldn't be worth selling the rights for.

I get the emotional links with the existing stadium but it just doesn't make any financial sense and as always money talks.
good posts lads

Nero

I'm all for a new stadium. It will happen one day regardless, even if it's in another 50 years, so why not now?

As for mass renovation, at what point does it not become OT anyway and you may as well have built a new one. Surely you get to the point where it's Trigger's broom.

Hal9000

I'm all for a new stadium. It will happen one day regardless, even if it's in another 50 years, so why not now?

As for mass renovation, at what point does it not become OT anyway and you may as well have built a new one. Surely you get to the point where it's Trigger's broom.
Old Trafford of Theseus

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I gave my feedback today. I talked a lot about the upgrades needed but said I don't see a way of doing them within the confines of the existing stadium. I work in construction and building design and honestly I reckon it'd cost just as much to bring Old Trafford up to the standard set by other stadium as it would to build new. And it probably would be a bigger pain and not as good. In my opinion there's no point. A lot of existing issues will have to remain unless they rebuild practically 90% of the stadium. It'll be like triggers brush! (If you know...). If we want to achieve the changes that are needed then OT will look a lot different than it does right now anyway.

I then talked a lot about what a new stadium should include and said that I think it might hurt initially but we could build history there and it'll serve the future generations well. Now I'm sat thinking about it, I feel it's the right option. We will have to pull the trigger one day, why not now? I want to see the new stadium in my lifetime if it's going to happen and be part of its history.

Revaulx

Good post, knocking it down would be vandalism. Not to mention a waste of time and money. If Real and Barca deem their stadiums too important to demolish then at twice the age OT certainly shouldn't be.

The stadium has been renovated and expanded probably 10-15 times in its 100 year history as it's grew with the club. And hopefully that will continue.

I just couldn't imagine United playing anywhere but OT.
You do realise that the renovations you mention have involved knocking it down a bit at a time and completely rebuilding the knocked down bits?

The entire ground, apart possibly for a bit buried deep below the SBC Stand, has been totally rebuilt at least twice in my lifetime.

stevoc

You do realise that the renovations you mention have involved knocking it down a bit at a time and completely rebuilding the knocked down bits?

The entire ground, apart possibly for a bit buried deep below the SBC Stand, has been totally rebuilt at least twice in my lifetime.
I do yes but as I said it wasn't all done at once, the stadium grew with the club.

To build a new stadium now we wouldn't be knocking down OT and rebuilding it. They would build a new stadium beside OT, it just wouldn't be the same stadium in any way.

Buzzbee

Tax payers paid for City's ground, can we get them to pay for ours? Still galling that a whole bunch of money allowed the City of Manchester Stadium to be renamed with a sponsor.

redcucumber

@Dejohn how are people supposed to get on board with the idea of United playing in a stadium called the Amazon Arena, or something equally dystopian and depressing? Undoubtedly this will make the club a few extra hundred million, but is that what matters to fans?

I also don't understand what people mean when they say going to watch United should be an entire day's experience. I don't give a sod that that's how it is in America. This is the country in which sport's teams can be transplanted to completely different parts of the country at their owner's whim. Football is 90 minutes with a 15 minute interlude. Are people proposing on the field entertainment, or something? Just sounds like more Americanisation of footy, to be honest.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
I do yes but as I said it wasn't all done at once, the stadium grew with the club.

To build a new stadium now we wouldn't be knocking down OT and rebuilding it. They would build a new stadium beside OT, it just wouldn't be the same stadium in any way.
It's happening one day mate. Would you not like to say you got to go to the new and old stadium?

Castia

Sent a survey today so I completed and sent it off

Let’s hope we do a good job the stadium is a mess

pocco

loco
@Dejohn how are people supposed to get on board with the idea of United playing in a stadium called the Amazon Arena, or something equally dystopian and depressing? Undoubtedly this will make the club a few extra hundred million, but is that what matters to fans?

I also don't understand what people mean when they say going to watch United should be an entire day's experience. I don't give a sod that that's how it is in America. This is the country in which sport's teams can be translated to completely different parts of the country at their owner's whim. Football is 90 minutes with a 15 minute interlude. Are people proposing on the field entertainment, or something? Just sounds like more Americanisation of footy, to be honest.
Rubbish. If it was done right you could spend a lot of time in and around the ground on match day.

Also, I didn't realise it will be called the Amazon Arena. What's the source of this info? Because in my opinion... No chance! They're already treading on egg shells over the topic of building a new stadium.

Spoony

The People's President

Indeed.

The old Main Stand tunnel is only part left of the original stadium...the rest's a bit Trigger's broom. Ideally we'd stay at the current location and rebuild the entire stadium accept the original parts of the South Stand. Besides it's hardly as if piecemeal stands have any architectural merit.