Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You think bringing on 1 forward is significantly changing it?

Yeah I don’t, we were an absolute horror show that required significant change, significantly earlier.
Of course it is, when Cavani is in the form he's in fetching him on is always going to be a positive change. On the 82nd minute he swapped left backs and fetched Donny on, would you argue those are more signifcant subs than fetching on an in-form striker when we need a goal?

Mainoldo

To galvanise the team. That’s what Bruno did. Do a few history lessons on our previous seasons in the 90s
I lived them.

My question was to play where? We going to make him play in Bruno’s position? He replacing Rashford?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He’s not getting a new contract but he will probably get another season. However the scary thing is you cannot build a team on being nearly men the good players will lose interest. Underperform or leave.
Look, i know. I was one of biggest Oleout posters here. But i realised; what is the point? I know that he is not good enough but also know that he is club's project. And he will stay here even if everything goes to shit this season.
So now i am just enjoying in games and waiting for cups. City is far too much better than the rest of league so league is not an option anyway.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Ole thinks the push on De Gea was a foul, and our goal was not a foul.

My manager.
He's probably right. At worst they should have been treated the same way, and in reality theirs was a more definite foul so it could easily have been no goal for them and a goal for us. It being the other way around was ridiculous by the referees.

mu4c_20le

You think bringing on 1 forward is significantly changing it?

Yeah I don’t, we were an absolute horror show that required significant change, significantly earlier.
The change he made at 82' was taking off a defender for a forward. No one does that, not even Sir Alex, at half time or 65th minute unless it was the last game of the season and we needed all 3 points to win the league.

Mainoldo

Look, i know. I was one of biggest Oleout posters here. But i realised; what is the point? I know that he is not good enough but also know that he is club's project. And he will stay here even if everything goes to shit this season.
So now i am just enjoying in games and waiting for cups. City is far too much better than the rest of league so league is not an option anyway.
I hear you I’m in the same boat as you.. but I don’t think this project includes a contract renewal if you are not going to atleast win a league. They’ve not shown it to anyone else. Even if the project is ‘working’ in their eyes.

OleBoiii

Oh look, the usual suspects comes crawling back the moment we drop points.

We have averaged 2.1 or 2.2 points per game in the last 39(?) PL games or something like that, but apparently our luck ran out now :lol:

Of course it is, when Cavani is in the form he's in fetching him on is always going to be a positive change. On the 82nd minute he swapped left backs and fetched Donny on, would you argue those are more signifcant subs than fetching on an in-form striker when we need a goal?
Yes, because we had much bigger issues than a striker missing non existent chances.
We required significant change in personnel and tactics, significantly earlier.

I mean, the way the game played out proved this didn’t it? The Cavani sub had feck all effect other than us at least able to watch a man give a shit.

Lentwood

I can understand not making two/three subs at HT to be honest.

From a purely logical point of view, there’s no point reading the riot act to players and giving them the hairdryer then subbing them. You might as well give it ten minutes or so to see if you get a reaction.

The inexcusable decision for me was leaving Rashford and Martial on until the end. That moment when Cavani darted for the front post and those two over-hyped wasters were just stood gawping as the ball flashed across the goalmouth in a moment we need to be throwing the kitchen sink...words fail me

Crustanoid

I lived them.

My question was to play where? We going to make him play in Bruno’s position? He replacing Rashford?
Nobody replaces anyone. The most hungry and effective players keep their places on merit. If you have actually lived through those times you would remember that particular strategy

I can understand not making two/three subs at HT to be honest.

From a purely logical point of view, there’s no point reading the riot act to players and giving them the hairdryer, you might as well give it ten minutes or so to see if you get a reaction.
100%.

10 minutes to show me some fecking fight, else you’re getting pulled.

But no, it was blind faith that almost 40 minutes later they’d somehow turn it around.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Another strange decision was moving Rashford around so much when in good form, and he's been gradually getting worse. We finally put him back into his regular position tonight and, lo and behold, he's crap. Played him into bad form. He's needlessly messed about with things like that and now we're suffering.
Rashford's been crap pretty much all season to be honest. The great thing is that he's still been getting goals and assists, so having the end product when playing poorly is a very good attribute in itself. But that doesn't take away from the fact that he's only had about four truly good games all season and the rest of the time his performances have been quite poor.

KennyBurner

Today shows you how badly coached we are. If we gave every team the same players in the league United under Ole would finish 15th-20th. Its all just individual quality saving us. Im sick of it.

Mainoldo

Nobody replaces anyone. The most hungry and effective players keep their places on merit. If you have actually lived through those times you would remember that particular strategy
Jack Grealish one of the best players in the Premier league is not going to make it at United if our strategy is come here and earn your place. This is not how the mentality of footballers work. Especially those at 25 and is performing better than everyone in our team. We don’t have a position for him so it’s a useless January signing. If we figure that out get him.

Also this is not a Fergie Championship winning United team. We are a top 4 team.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It wasn't really random. Lindelof has been struggling with a back injury for ages so the idea is obviously to try to give him enough rests to nurse him through the rest of the season, and with Bailly seemingly injured (yet again) Tuanzebe is the next in line. In hindsight maybe we should have just played Lindelof but if his back starts really giving him trouble and he's out for a while we'd then be blaming Ole for not resting him enough.
He too often gives random chances to player, tbh. Henderson in league against SU despite first gk 100% fit. Tuanzebe today despite having Lindelof fit. James got some weird starts too this season.
Rotation is needed but there is time and place for it and if you rotate, you don't rotate;
A) Too many players at once
B) First central defender duo and Gk. For that you have cups

Crustanoid

Jack Grealish one of the best players in the Premier league is not going to make it at United if our strategy is come here and earn your place. This is not how the mentality of how footballers work. Especially those at 25 and is performing better than everyone in our team. We don’t have a position for him so it’s a useless January signing. If we figure that out get him.
Are you saying Jack Grealish doesn’t have the right mentality or influence to bring our squad up a level. Again, I point towards past experiences when players came in and lifted up the squad and our game

passing-wind

So no one performed even close to an acceptable standard, yet the manager made no significant change until the 82nd minute, and you think it’s on the players??? :lol:

What is a managers job if it’s not to spot that it’s not working and change it @Lash??
He might as well just name the team and fecking stay at home.
It's just lazy criticism. We aren't playing as a cohesive team this is always going to be the result when the moments begin to slow down. Moments is the best way to describe us under Solskjaer this isn't a call for him to be sacked or that he's inept but Ole has got to improve the proportionality of us winning games on a performance basis not the merit of intuitive individualism.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
He really messed up today in the team selection and the team embodied his casual attitude on the field

Mainoldo

Are you saying Jack Grealish doesn’t have the right mentality or influence to bring our squad up a level. Again, I point towards past experiences when players came in and lifted up the squad and our game
What has mentality got to do with it if he hasn’t got a position. This isn’t Sunday league mate. He works at Villa because they have a team built to bring out his best attributes. This current team is built around Bruno. So how does it work mate?

KD6-3.7

His in game management really is awful. Should have made subs the minute after Maguire scored.

Another issue is no matter how bad Rashford and Bruno play they never get subbed off, it's those two in particular who've been in atrocious form lately. We've got Cavani so he should be starting in place of atleast one of Martial/Rashford.

Oranges038

And beaten by the worst team in premier league history
Not really.

Derby had 7 points after 20 games and had a goal difference of -35. Sheffield Utd now have 8 after 20 games and have won 2 games and have a goal difference of -21. Derby only won 1 game all season. They will have to get 3 points or less from the next 18 games to be the worst.

Tonight Sheffield Utd came with a gameplan and stuck to it, sit back, hope to sneak a goal on any half decent chance or a mistake then sit deep and hold onto it. The players played into Sheffield's hand all night, it was so easy for them to defend. The goals they got were poor, the defending for that second goal was shambolic. Once they get those leads and get the defensive structure set they are very hard to break down.

Ole should take a measure of the blame, he should have made changes earlier. He should have taken Martial and Matic off at half time. He should have tried to alter the attacking approach during the game. Tonight was just another example of these players not having a clue how to break down a team that sits deep, the players on the pitch bear most of the responsibility for that loss tonight.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I hear you I’m in the same boat as you.. but I don’t think this project includes a contract renewal if you are not going to atleast win a league. They’ve not shown it to anyone else. Even if the project is ‘working’ in their eyes.
Since when Glazers care for title? Top 4 brings CL. It is all what they want..

KennyBurner

Why cant we ever see a system so smooth like this at United??? Its always freestyling with us. At some point we have to actually point fingers. We have the quality so why cant the players ever show some form of repetitious play that has been set out by the coaches.

Granted we cant blame Ole for the two stupid goals conceded today but that doesnt explain why we cant even fashion chances for our number 9 to have a shot on target. Anytime we create its always some bullshit bruno cross and inshalah or counterattacking. My head is so fecking hot right now.

Edit- i guess the video was copyrighted by twitter but it was basically the second goal sequence of play by sevilla today.

Red & White

Hopefully OGS gets the team right up for the Arsenal game from minute one, as we certainly weren’t up for this evenings game and everyone needs to share the blame for that.

Crustanoid

What has mentality got to do with it if he hasn’t got a position. This isn’t Sunday league mate. He works at Villa because they have a team built to bring out his best attributes. This current team is built around Bruno. So how does it work mate?
He would have a position when he plays in the team. Others would have to respond, then he would also respond. I’m not sure I’d equate our team to a Sunday League team. That seems to be a bizarre and imbecilic inference.

always_hoping

Agree, something like this was coming. Look at our recent results...

Inched past Liverpool.
Scraped past Fulham.
Bore draw against Liverpool.
Scraped past Burnley.
Limped past Watford.
Toyed with by City.
Scraped past Villa.
Fluke win against Wolves.
Drew against Leicester.
Scraped past Everton.

Our last convincing performance was the 20th of December against Leeds.
A defeat at home to bottom table team was not coming.

Now that it's happened it's bouncing back from tonights result. A crossroad in Uniteds season, the result will either be a blessing in disguise or a sign of things to come.

Mainoldo

He would have a position when he plays in the team. Others would have to respond, then he would also respond. I’m not sure I’d equate our team to a Sunday League team. That seems to be a bizarre and imbecilic inference.
What position? You can’t even identify to me where he would play? Do you even watch him?

Redfrog

Jack Grealish one of the best players in the Premier league is not going to make it at United if our strategy is come here and earn your place. This is not how the mentality of footballers work. Especially those at 25 and is performing better than everyone in our team. We don’t have a position for him so it’s a useless January signing. If we figure that out get him.

Also this is not a Fergie Championship winning United team. We are a top 4 team.
If he is performing better then anyone in our squad then we have a place for him !
Or do we need to keep the players who are not performing on the pitch ?
We have plenty of space for this kind of players. It is like saying, we don't need prime Ronaldo because we have Martial playing there ! So it is just better to keep our underperforming players...I don't get it.

By the way how mentality of footballers work ? Serious question.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Ole can't help our defenders being fecking brain dead, or players not trying hard enough, or the referee being in Jurgen's pocket. That's all out of his control. The one thing he can control though is his subs, he needs to do more.

Siorac

Is Cavani an 'in-form' striker? Since his brace at Southampton at the end of November, he scored twice in ten games and he played 90 minutes in five of those. The Caf has put him on a pedestal recently but I reckon that's mostly down to Martial being inexplicably dreadful all season.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Why have they sacked managers before? I get the pessimism... but the goal is not just get top 4 and chill.
I am afraid it is. Lvg and Moyes got sacked because of it. Jose....well, he asked for it.
Under Ole we had awful runs and results. He stayed. Board want him here. He will get new contract soon and while he will deliver CL spot, he will be here. And i think that he will deliver that every year.

Crustanoid

What position? You can’t even identify to me where he would play? Do you even watch him?
Goalie? But seriously do you think we’re utterly rigid? He’d be an attacking player somewhere across the middle 3 of a 4231. Or in the front two midfield of a 433 or on the left or right in some other formation. Pogba and Bruno have both done this. And there are a million more scenarios but the bottom line is get more influential players and you will do better. As we did in the past. Do you not agree? Or should we just stick with what we have?

Status
Not open for further replies.