g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Why should we only go for a manager that's available? We don't only but players out of contact?

And I'm not Tuchel's biggest fan, but he's better than Ole.
No guarantees that managers will like to throw their job they're comfortable with to take a risky job at another club, imo.

Beside, the current situation isn't bad to change managers. Let's visit this question by the end of the season. At the moment, I'm mostly pretty pleased with what we have done and I was actually one of those calling for his head last season. This season seems to be going really fine. Tonight was crap but otherwise, no reason to think about changing managers at the moment.

Better to discuss this comes the end of the season imo.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
No I just see it as totally pointless you pointing out you think mourinho is a better manager if we’ve both all ready agreed Ole is the better manager for United
Okay that's fine. What about the other 7 managers?

Picking one out of a list to try and undermine a point isn't really fair in this instance.

jem

It's so typical - I was finally getting on board with Ole, luxuriating in the glow of the LFC win, and then he goes and does this. I know that speaks more to my fickleness as a fun, but the inconsistency is so frustrating. How we didn't make changes at half-time, I'll never understand.

mu4c_20le

Me. Isn't that what forums are for? Discussion? You happy with having arguably the 7th or 8th best manager in the league?
I'm just confused as to the context, was it a reply to an imaginary claim that Ole was better than them? They aren't coming here so I don't get the point other than another random jab at his CV

Bubz27

No guarantees that managers will like to throw their job they're comfortable with to take a risky job at another club, imo.

Beside, the current situation isn't bad to change managers. Let's visit this question by the end of the season. At the moment, I'm mostly pretty pleased with what we have done and I was actually one of those calling for his head last season. This season seems to be going really fine. Tonight was crap but otherwise, no reason to think about changing managers at the moment.

Better to discuss this comes the end of the season imo.
I'm not advocating for one second to get rid of Ole right now. Absolutely he needs to stay until the end of the season, unless things go into major shite (which I don't see).

But if we look at his 2 and a half years as a whole, or even his managerial career as a whole, has he done anything to warrant the job?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Okay that's fine. What about the other 7 managers?

Picking one out of a list to try and undermine a point isn't really fair in this instance.
What can I say about the other managers, they’re at other clubs, is there any need to compare. Who is out there who could break into that top 7 list you’ve made.

we’ve got Ole, he’s doing a decent job, lots has changed, lots more to be positive about, let’s just enjoy the ride to the end of season instead of constantly having to put him down and compare him to others

Bubz27

I'm just confused as to the context, was it a reply to an imaginary claim that Ole was better than them? They aren't coming here so I don't get the point other than another random jab at his CV
It's to do with the fact that I don't think Manchester United should have the 7th or 8th best manager in the league. We should be aiming higher than that.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Absolutely amazed he left the subs so late.

At 1-1 he should have made a double sub and really pile on the pressure. We let them off the hook and they coasted through the game.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We really going to talk about City and Liverpool? Teams who have won the biggest trophies under their current managers? Liverpool losing to Burnley was like Fergie's United losing to Burnley, once upon a time. An anomaly. It happens, but you know at the end of the day everything's all good.

Ole losing to teams like Sheffield United or Palace at home is too regular for my liking.

Spurs, I do think they're pretty poor.
We've been as consistent points wise as those two for a whole year. Tonight was an unexpected result just like Liverpool dropping points to Newcastle, West Brom and Fulham were. On the other hand it will be no surprise if we lose to Arsenal, that's where this squad is at.

el3mel

I'm not advocating for one second to get rid of Ole right now. Absolutely he needs to stay until the end of the season, unless things go into major shite (which I don't see).

But if we look at his 2 and a half years as a whole, or even his managerial career as a whole, has he done anything to warrant the job?
At the moment I think he does deserve the job considering our results and position in the league. Not sure about the future and what will happen in it. Football is crazy and very dynamic sport, things change faster than you believe, but at the moment I'm overall very content with what he has done post CL exit. When we lost to RB and got KOed I wanted him gone the next day but he made a pretty good job managing to comeback from such defeat to top or near top of the league I'll have to say.

Tonight was crap and of course I hope it's not a start of a shitty run. I don't think we can say much more regarding Ole's position in the team. Let's wait and see for now what will happen in the remaining part of the season.

If we finish top 3 with close points to the other 2 then it has been a pretty good league campaign.

Bubz27

What can I say about the other managers, they’re at other clubs, is there any need to compare. Who is out there who could break into that top 7 list you’ve made.

we’ve got Ole, he’s doing a decent job, lots has changed, lots more to be positive about, let’s just enjoy the ride to the end of season instead of constantly having to put him down and compare him to others
By this logic, we may as well never discuss a transfer ever again.

I'm with you in trying to enjoy the ride a bit more though. I have tried to do that more recently, although it doesn't change the fact I don't think Ole's good enough. And I know tonight isn't evidence in trying to enjoy the ride more.

It's just a feeling of de ja vu again with Ole. I've seen this plenty. Good run followed by shite run. And it would be easier to accept if I felt the good run was actually building to something.

Mainoldo

Oh well. Ambition is everything in this game. When we signed Keane he was RB for a while but he added to our mentality. When we signed Rooney we had Ruud, Saha and others. Investing in clear quality and inspiration doesn’t have to conform to some kind of FM driven squad building philosophy. I’ll shut up now
Was Roy Keane the best CM in the league signing from a relegated Forrest? Nope.

Was Rooney a number 9? Nope. Neither of your examples has anything to do with signing Jack Grealish.

You can even use Andy Cole if you like but name me our starting strikers?

mu4c_20le

It's to do with the fact that I don't think Manchester United should have the 7th or 8th best manager in the league. We should be aiming higher than that.
Fair enough. In that case yes, Mourinh is a better manager than him. But I thought we learned our lesson about not just looking at a manager's prestige and background, but also to consider how they would fit our club. Mourinho had a good first season, then it went to shit football and he left us in a worse state than before by leaving behind a bunch of deadwood and destroying our wage bill. He set us back several years.

Bubz27

We've been as consistent points wise as those two for a whole year. Tonight was an unexpected result just like Liverpool dropping points to Newcastle, West Brom and Fulham were. On the other hand it will be no surprise if we lose to Arsenal, that's where this squad is at.
It doesn't surprise me we've matched their consistency when there's been no pressure on to actually go and win something. And when we have had the chance (4 semis in that year we've matched them in the league) we haven't even looked close to doing it.

Being consistent over 38 games is great, but if thats 18 from one season and 29 from another, it doesn't mean as much.

Bubz27

Fair enough. In that case yes, Mourinh is a better manager than him. But I thought we learned our lesson about not just looking at a manager's prestige and background, but also to consider how they would fit our club. Mourinho had a good first season, then it went to shit football and he left us in a worse state than before by leaving behind a bunch of deadwood and destroying our wage bill.
I agree about Jose. I don't want him back, not do I want Klopp or Pep, as great as they currently are. Just highlighting the lack of ambition in this team, from top down.

Crustanoid

Was Roy Keane the best CM in the league signing from a relegated Forrest? Nope.

Was Rooney a number 9? Nope. Neither of your examples has anything to do with signing Jack Grealish.

You can even use Andy Cole if you like but name me our starting strikers?
But they still added to the team , the mentally, and our ability to win? No? I’m shutting up because I’m deluded and emotional. :(

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Klopp.
Pep.
Ancelloti.
Tuchel.
Jose.
Ancelloti.
Rodgers.

Fair to say all are clearly better managers than Ole?
First of all you named one manager twice to make the list look longer.
Then apart from the 2 world class managers on that list who we are absolutely not getting for obvious reasons I don’t want anyone else on that list near United. We already had Jose and it was a disaster so no idea why he is even mentioned here. Ancelotti was great a few years ago. I don’t rate Tuchel highly.
Rodgers is the only one I wouldn’t mind if Ole was leaving, but even Rodgers has good and bad runs.
As for your repeated question later if Ole is better than Jose, well you could play this game with any manager. Is Poch better than Jose? Is Hasenhüttl? Unless they start winning big trophies regularly they can’t claim to be better than Jose. But the majority of United fans would still take Ole or other managers over the current Mourinho even though Mourinho is one of the most successful managers ever.
But if creating a list like that makes you happy after 1st league loss in ages then what else can I say. Just don’t forget to include Arteta, Moyes and Co next time.

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
By this logic, we may as well never discuss a transfer ever again.

I'm with you in trying to enjoy the ride a bit more though. I have tried to do that more recently, although it doesn't change the fact I don't think Ole's good enough. And I know tonight isn't evidence in trying to enjoy the ride more.

It's just a feeling of de ja vu again with Ole. I've seen this plenty. Good run followed by shite run. And it would be easier to accept if I felt the good run was actually building to something.
Nice one :) hopefully it plays out well for us

Bubz27

First of all you named one manager twice to make the list look longer.
Then apart from the 2 world class managers on that list who we are absolutely not getting for obvious reasons I don’t want anyone else on that list near United. We already had Jose and it was a disaster so no idea why he is even mentioned here. Ancelotti was great a few years ago. I don’t rate Tuchel highly.
Rodgers is the only one I wouldn’t mind if Ole was leaving, but even Rodgers has good and bad runs.
As for your repeated question later if Ole is better than Jose, well you could play this game with any manager. Is Poch better than Jose? Is Hasenhüttl? Unless they start winning big trophies regularly they can’t claim to be better than Jose. But the majority of United fans would still take Ole or other managers over the current Mourinho even though Mourinho is one of the most successful managers ever.
But if creating a list like that makes you happy after 1st league loss in ages then what else can I say. Just don’t forget to leave out Arteta, Moyes and Co next time.
Apologies for including Ancelloti twice. Genuine mistake.

You've obviously read my posts since so you'll see the point I was making. Maybe I didn't make it as well in the original post, as others have said similar. So my bad for that.

But this whole idea of reacting after 1 game is nonsense. This is 2 and a half years of false dawn's with truly terrible runs of form thrown in.

mu4c_20le

I agree about Jose. I don't want him back, not do I want Klopp or Pep, as great as they currently are. Just highlighting the lack of ambition in this team, from top down.
I know what you mean, but it's still a weird timing to post it because we are still 2nd in the league and 6 points ahead of Liverpool, and two major cups. The FA cup would soften the blow of losing the league to those oil cnuts.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It doesn't surprise me we've matched their consistency when there's been no pressure on to actually go and win something. And when we have had the chance (4 semis in that year we've matched them in the league) we haven't even looked close to doing it.

Being consistent over 38 games is great, but if thats 18 from one season and 29 from another, it doesn't mean as much.
No one in your list would beat City to the title with our squad. They are just that good unfortunately. That we are even getting close to them points wise over a long period shows what a good job Ole has done.

lex talionis

We have to take the lows with the highs, but tonight Ole took the wrong gamble in starting a clearly fatigued Bruno. And it at least seems as though we've given no thought whatsoever to learning how to defend corner kicks. I don't know if that's on the manager or one of the assistance coaches, but it's a glaring weakness we need to address.

AshRK

It's funny how after every defeat there is a talk of sacking ole and changing manager for some. He is here to stay atleast till end of the season.

Red00012

Left the subs too late I think no one would have batted an eyelid if he brought on Cavani for Martial at half time .

Some of the comments above from the Ole out crew are embarrassing

abbulf

It’s dagger time all right. The best thing about a game like today is that I get to update my ignore list.

But really. After the run of games we have had. Then one loss, and the haters are crawling back into the thread. Not giving the man an inch of slack even based on recent results. I am really lost for words.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

You've obviously read my posts since so you'll see the point I was making. Maybe I didn't make it as well in the original post, as others have said similar. So my bad for that.

But this whole idea of reacting after 1 game is nonsense. This is 2 and a half years of false dawn's with truly terrible runs of form thrown in.
You see it like that. I see it as a good job getting 3rd in his first full season with the likes of Lingard and Andreas starting games and our best players injured for longer periods. Then this season we are doing better so far and 1 loss doesn’t change this. This squad is not the best in the league and Ole is not Pep or Klopp. If you actually acknowledge this then you will see Ole is doing a good job. Another manager would have probably won against SU today, but most probably he wouldn’t have won all the games we have won in the last few weeks including some difficult away games. There will be bad results, even bad runs and we won’t win every game. Shock horror.

Verminator

Do you think we are no better than 2.5 years ago?
When do you think it last started to go wrong?

SAFMUTD

At the end of the day Ole is a transition manager, it be stupid to sack him right now but it would also be stupid to give him a long term project.

Our aim in the short term is to secure top 4, Ole is doing a great job at that. Our goal at medium term, meaning next season, should be winning the league. I dont think Ole can do that.

The problem here is that there's no gray it seems you either think he's SAF reincarnated or he's PE teacher. Unfortunately for us we are facing world-class coaches in Pep and Klopp. If we are really serious about challenging for top titles we should be searching for the next big thing in coaching.

City has a better squad than us, so that makes it even harder for us. We need a manager who's clearly better than Pep to overcome that. As of today City has a better squad and a better coach, to overcome them we either get a better squad than them which would require hundred of millions or we look for a world-class coach.

Since in the short term is not realistic to have a better squad than them, we should try to outcoach them. Looking it up that way the decision its easy, we need to find a world-class manager and when we do we need to replace Ole with him.

Infra-red

You just know we're gonna have you wait for it to get very bad before we get rid of him.
Again, I'm not calling for his head but I don't think he's the right man for the job so it's a very tough situation to try and sort out.
Anything other than a total collapse in the league will mean that we have at least another full season of him.

People have had more than two years to look at him now, so everyone has to accept that these are no longer snap judgements. He is not part of the Lampard/Arteta generation of managers still learning the job - Ole is the same age as Brendan Rodgers and only two years younger than Pep Guardiola. We know who he is as a manager - his strengths, his weaknesses and the sort of football his teams will play. If you don't think he's up to it, fair enough, really.

always_hoping

Defensively remains the main issue, the best teams in 38 game season that win or challenge for a title make themselves hard to score against.

27 goals conceded in 20 league games right now and the majority of them have been gifts to the opposition.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm just wondering, how Ole allows a player to be this lazy in games? I'm not talking about their bad forms which could happen even to the best.

L1nk

It's one game so considering where we are in the league we shouldn't overreact, however he shouldn't be excused from criticism for this match. Unfortunately as well its the same mistakes we've seen him make many times before, abysmal in game management for starters, i hope this doesn't devolve into a terrible run now either

We really need to sort out how we start games though, its embarassing how awful we look and have to rely on comebacks alot

Ludens the Red

I’ve given him credit in recent weeks for the fitness levels and none injuries and for the never say die attitude of the side but again old problems rare their head. The reasons I doubt him come back again.

Why are we still conceding daft goals from set pieces? Why hasn’t this been identified as a weakness and worked on.
Why are we still looking clueless against teams who basically park the bus and not even that impressively?
Why is he still waiting an age to change things when it’s going bad?
And why is he again trying to play a so badly out of form player into form? Saw this with Lingard. It does not work..

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
I hope people aren't going too crazy and entitled on here because we're still ahead of where we expected to be compared to last season. It was one of those days that we will have to take on the chin and keep it moving.

Evidently we lost to bad referee decision and to a deflection vs a rejuvenated team fighting for survival but we should have

Status
Not open for further replies.