Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal&hyde

Then you need to learn how to recognise tactics on the pitch. Danny H explains it really it really well here.
That's a great interview, i'm watching it the second time now. Puts many things in to perspective and is very rational in his opinions. Very nice to see something like that in such an emotional and hate filled environment.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ole could do something great for this club. If this window is a repeat of last summer's farce, and let's be honest it's already starting to feel that way, he could walk away. He'd be a hero in my eyes if he did. What a statement that would send to the parasites and Woodward.

Other people might think of him badly if he did it. I wouldn't.

Castia

Ole will be gone by December.

It's not entirely his fault but I just feel the job is too big, the club almost needs rebuilding (on the football side) from the ground up and the board don't seem to be interested in spending the money needed to do the job and the manager will take the fall.

Until we get a proper setup behind the scenes we'll continue to struggle it doesn't matter who the manager is

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Some of the delusional attempts at positivity in this thread blow my mind.

Solskjaer has a clear tactical direction? Keeping Mata will help the younger players? Another poster said it best when he described this optimism as amounting to near-enough nothing but platitudes.

I guess we'll just have to wait till around Christmas for the reality to dawn on the majority just how dire a situation we are in and that it's only going to get worse.

fallengt

Mata is a veteran squad player. We need the presence to guide the young, and Mata fills the role perfectly.

This is a good signing, even with the extra year.
You must be kidding yourself. Mata has charm but more like gentlemen charm, he doesn't have charisma to be leader. He also doesn't set any record here to be role model at United.

"Guide young". I assume Lingard doing that. Just look at Rashford

VanGaalyTime

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Rafaeldagold

Less than 4 weeks until pre season. Was just looking at his interviews from the end of the season. " we want all our signing here before pre season" "players will not be here"
Did Ed get to this guy? Did he become a corporate yes guy? I mean wtf is going on. We need minimum 5 first team players to come. We finished 30+points behind last season. So far we have not signed a single first team player.
He was always going to be a yes man- he won’t rock the boat as he can’t believe how lucky he is

Celoti23-81

I can recognise tactics.
That is a good outlook of what it may be by Danny Higginbotham in the video. But let's not beat about Bush here, he probably said the same kind words about Mourinho when he took over! He is not going to come out and condemn the appointment of Ole!
It kind of makes you think that what if. What if Ed woodward gave mourinho William, Perisic and Aldeweireld last season, would we be playing champions league next season? I think we would.
What if we gave LVG the extra 2 seasons knowing he got the best out of young players had a system, and got us into a smooth transition for the next manager! 4th manager in, and we are rebuilding again, and it may be even more of a failure than our last 2 managers!
Hindsight and all that

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
You must be kidding yourself. Mata has charm but more like gentlemen charm, he doesn't have charisma to be leader. He also doesn't set any record here to be role model at United.

"Guide young". I assume Lingard doing that. Just look at Rashford
Has Rashford done anything unsportsmanlike that indicates to you he's not worthy of playing at Manchester United? Has Lingard?

Young people have a social media profile, it's time that me, you and all the other dinosaurs get over that.

El Jefe

Feel sorry for Ole? yeah right. He was the one who drew up the transfer strategy with Woodward this summer so any signing we make will have Ole's seal of approval.

As for the contract renewals, if Ole was absolutely adamant he didn't want a player, they would be let go. It's obvious he wanted Herrera to stay and we offered him a good contract, he just thought he could get better elsewhere.

The excuses are already coming in before a ball has been kicked. Levy delivered the worst transfer window for Pochettino last summer and he delivered due to his coaching and tactical abilities. If Ole fails, first and foremost it will be because he's a poor coach, Woodward's ineptitude will come second.

We really shouldn't finish outside the top 4 seeing as Arsenal have a £45m transfer budget and Chelsea have lost their best player, manager and have a transfer ban. Ole has no excuses whatsoever and should be sacked if he doesn't make top 4.

clarkydaz

Feel sorry for Ole? yeah right. He was the one who drew up the transfer strategy with Woodward this summer so any signing we make will have Ole's seal of approval.

As for the contract renewals, if Ole was absolutely adamant he didn't want a player, they would be let go. It's obvious he wanted Herrera to stay and we offered him a good contract, he just thought he could get better elsewhere.

The excuses are already coming in before a ball has been kicked. Levy delivered the worst transfer window for Pochettino last summer and he delivered due to his coaching and tactical abilities. If Ole fails, first and foremost it will be because he's a poor coach, Woodward's ineptitude will come second.

We really shouldn't finish outside the top 4 seeing as Arsenal have a £45m transfer budget and Chelsea have lost their best player, manager and have a transfer ban. Ole has no excuses whatsoever and should be sacked if he doesn't make top 4.
Poch had a better team and we are losing our best 2 midfielders

JoaquinJoaquin

Ole could do something great for this club. If this window is a repeat of last summer's farce, and let's be honest it's already starting to feel that way, he could walk away. He'd be a hero in my eyes if he did. What a statement that would send to the parasites and Woodward.

Other people might think of him badly if he did it. I wouldn't.
Why would he walk away from a job of his lifetime? Regardless of money he isn't being given, he isn't going to ruin his one shot at managing a major club.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Is it your opinion that any team in the top half of the Premier League can get top4 as long as their coach is good enough at tactics?

Pochettino already had an incredibly well oiled team in place that actually want to play for the club. Ole has Pogba, a man that reportedly backstabbed him just a few days ago by publicly stating that he wants to go elsewhere. Reports were that Ole had a heart to heart with Pogba, whereas Pogba gave Ole assurances that he wanted to be part of the rebuil of Manchester United.

Regaring renewals: All contract renewals after Ole becoming permanent manager is on Ole, as far as we know. All contract extensions during his time as interim manager are on Ed an whoever else had a final say. Ole did not dicate who stays and goes during that time. I'm sure he voiced his input but we don't know what that input was.

Herrera has stated according to other reports that he was very unhappy with how late the club offered him a contract, and the way it was conducted. The player had already made up his mind to leave when it was said and done. He's still not signed a contract with a new team, but it's very unlikely he will go up in salary by any meaningful amount.

At what point do we start blaming the players for not performing? Never?

I just want to add that Ole is NOT the one doing the purchase of players. His job is to give Ed the list of players he and the staff identifies as targets, and Ed Woodward and Man Uniteds negotiator gets the job done with the negotiation. If we can't sign a player, the manager has literally 0% control over that.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Danny H is 90% platitude in that video. He also does the usual as per on here by assuming that Ole is capable of "sorting it out" without actually saying why he is so sure. Howson is just as delusional, but slowly he is being forced to re-adjust his positions based on irrefutable observed reality.
Some of the delusional attempts at positivity in this thread blow my mind.

Solskjaer has a clear tactical direction? Keeping Mata will help the younger players? Another poster said it best when he described this optimism as amounting to near-enough nothing but platitudes.

I guess we'll just have to wait till around Christmas for the reality to dawn on the majority just how dire a situation we are in and that it's only going to get worse.
I'm actually blown away by the negativity. Yes we all know a rebuild is in order. None of you know what is happening behind the scenes, yet all seem to be so certain in your opinions that you project them onto the day to day running of the club with certainty. I can see Oles tactical direction. I understand why it fell apart. We all know a complete change in direction is needed and it's been recognised by the club going forward and yet none of you are willing to give them the chance to. We need a squad, we can't just ship out everyone and buy a completely new team. I reckon we'll get about 3 signings, none of which most on here will be happy with and doom and gloom will prevail as usual before a ball is even kicked. You all have zero patience. Yes the last few years haven't been great ( I'm so glad you all weren't about when Ferguson came in) but until we see what happens we won't know. The club is nowhere near as bad as some of you make out. It's not perfect but it will take about 3 years to get us challenging properly ( although I believe next season might surprise people ). You'd have thought we were relegated the way so many of bleat on. Ole has just got the job. Lets actually give him a chance.

fallengt

Has Rashford done anything unsportsmanlike that indicates to you he's not worthy of playing at Manchester United? Has Lingard?

Young people have a social media profile, it's time that me, you and all the other dinosaurs get over that.
No but they have this "I've made it" attitude written all over their looks.
United culture isn't that. If writing blogs, posting cringe reaction video, wearing awful clothes are what need to be United players then I fecking chose the wrong profession.

All big talk about survival of the fittess. It doesn't mean shit when they send the exact opposite signal like this one

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Why would he walk away from a job of his lifetime? Regardless of money he isn't being given, he isn't going to ruin his one shot at managing a major club.
Because in the scenario I gave he'd be being set up to fail. He could make a huge statement doing what I said. He'd be walking away from money though of course which would make it unlikely to happen......but what a hero he'd be if he did it. A massive F Y to the Glazers and Woodward.

I know it's unlikely to happen. I'd just love to see it.

El Jefe

Poch had a better team and we are losing our best 2 midfielders
I'm pretty sure our signings won't end with James alone. We will spend close to £200m this summer and sign at least 2 midfielders.

You say Poch had a better team which is fair but they were winning games with injuries to Kane and Alli. If at the start of last season you said Spurs strongest midfield would be Winks and Sissoko, almost all of us on here would have laughed at how bad that looks. Pochettino made them look class.

JoaquinJoaquin

Good post. Totally agree. I feared the worst when I heard that we would be signing 'British young players with desire'.

JoaquinJoaquin

Because in the scenario I gave he'd be being set up to fail. He could make a huge statement doing what I said. He'd be walking away from money though of course which would make it unlikely to happen......but what a hero he'd be if he did it. A massive F Y to the Glazers and Woodward.

I know it's unlikely to happen. I'd just love to see it.
So would I, trust me. What i'd like to see even more is the happy clappers at Old Trafford actually try and put up a fight against Woodward and the Glazers this season, rather than just being a silent puppet and accepting our fall.

Greck

Wonder if ex-Mourinho cultists read some of those and go "is that what I sounded like?".

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

Fair enough, I disagree he should automatically be sacked if we don't make top four. I think if strides are made in our playing style, young players get plenty of minutes and shine in a fresh tactical set-up and we just miss out by a point or so I would be willing to give Ole another summer and another year to see where he can take us. Also if he wins the EL, delivering CL football for 20-21, while playing our best stuff post-Fergie I'd certainly be happy to forgive a close fifth if clear signs of a recovery were there for all to see.

I accept the rest of your arguments. Chances are if we are out of the top four we won't have been pulling up trees and so Ole's position would of course be up for debate, I just don't think we should bin him as soon as top four is off the table without taking more factors into account.

TRUERED89

I'm actually blown away by the negativity. Yes we all know a rebuild is in order. None of you know what is happening behind the scenes, yet all seem to be so certain in your opinions that you project them onto the day to day running of the club with certainty. I can see Oles tactical direction. I understand why it fell apart. We all know a complete change in direction is needed and it's been recognised by the club going forward and yet none of you are willing to give them the chance to. We need a squad, we can't just ship out everyone and buy a completely new team. I reckon we'll get about 3 signings, none of which most on here will be happy with and doom and gloom will prevail as usual before a ball is even kicked. You all have zero patience. Yes the last few years haven't been great ( I'm so glad you all weren't about when Ferguson came in) but until we see what happens we won't know. The club is nowhere near as bad as some of you make out. It's not perfect but it will take about 3 years to get us challenging properly ( although I believe next season might surprise people ). You'd have thought we were relegated the way so many of bleat on. Ole has just got the job. Lets actually give him a chance.
SAF's been gone 7 years next summer, this should have been addressed the second SAF retired, having to wait another 3 years will make it a decade of not challenging for the PL and fighting for top 4 like we are some MKII Arsenal. Surely you can understand a lot of the frustration? Woody has been so amateurish its beyond belief. I'm behind Ole 100% but the fans don't have anything major to be positive about atm, especially with the players leaving and the players who have got contract extensions.

doriandun

I am going to defend Levy here,
Spurs have two left backs and two right backs.
In central defence, i would say they could be pervieved as a body short, having only Toby, Vertongen and Sanchez.

In midfield they have Dier, Sissoko, Winks, Erikssen, Wanyama.

Uptop they have Lamela, Son,Moura, Dele Ali
and a strike force of Kane and back up Llorente.

They lost close to 20 games over the season, Poch did not over achieve with the team, coming third or fourth is about right.Poch remit is not to challenge for the title, and reaching the champions league is on par with Waford reaching the cup final, where Poch deserves credit is his tactical flexiblity, against City in the first leg and against Ajax.

Emery over achieved with the team he's got, getting to a final, a shocking defence and a poor midfield.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
United culture isn't that. If writing blogs, posting cringe reaction video, wearing awful clothes are what need to be United players then I fecking chose the wrong profession.

All big talk about survive of the fittess. It doesn't mean shit when club sends exact opposite signal like this one
They are both professional footballers in one of the biggest clubs in the world, both are regular first team starters and they both play on Englands national team.

If that's not a bonafide "we made it" then I dont know what is. Is your problem that they have the audacity to say it?

Writing blogs, posting reaction videos and having a sense of fashion is pretty much what kids these days are up to when they are not at work. Would you prefer they went home, didn't talk to anyone, and then came back to practice the next day?

Enigma_87

You know who
Considering our form since he was hired permanently and if we fail to make a decent transfer window I wouldn't rule it out.

Since February our form was relegation level.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Considering our form since he was hired permanently and if we fail to make a decent transfer window I wouldn't rule it out.

Since February our form was relegation level.
This. Worrying

15 wins is down to luck, 15 losses is also can be down to a lot of factors. But when the number is that bad one started to question the manager.

I understand rebuild is a process, i want to give him time. But that doesnt mean you can rake 9 pts from possible 30. That's simply unacceptable. My idea of giving ole time is top 4ish for a few year with steady improvement. 8th for United is never acceptable rebuild or no rebuild, transtition or no transition. Many teams undergone what we're facing. Liverpool Chelsea arsenal even city had their own slow years but that doesnt mean finishing midtable.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
No. Cut out this wish-washy crap. He ain't fecking good enough. As a managerial choice for United he is an absolute abomination.

And next season might surprise people? What do you think that we'll be in a relegation scrap or something?

TRUERED89

No. Cut out this wish-washy crap. He ain't fecking good enough. As a managerial choice for United he is an absolute abomination.

And next season might surprise people? What do you think that we'll be in a relegation scrap or something?
Way over the top there, he's not Jose with his stinking attitude and negativity is he? Last few games were disgraceful but the players were dreadful too especially the golden boy Pogba. Judge him in 19/20, Christmas should give us a decent indication of where we are. He'll probably be gone by December if its a repeat of the end of 18/19.

Vissy

All big talk about survive of the fittess. It doesn't mean shit when they send the exact opposite signal like this one
If playing professional football for Manchester United and making an absolute killing while doing so isn't 'having made it', god only knows what your opinion is of your own life. I want to say this more bluntly because a lot of people seem to hold pride in one's own accomplishments against a player here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being proud and positive about where you are. It's actually much healthier and much more conducive to good performance to be this way, as opposed to constantly negative.

Rafaeldagold

Way over the top there, he's not Jose with his stinking attitude and negativity is he? Last few games were disgraceful but the players were dreadful too especially the golden boy Pogba. Judge him in 19/20, Christmas should give us a decent indication of where we are. He'll probably be gone by December if its a repeat of the end of 18/19.
Are you actually saying Ole is a better manager than Jose?

We’re never going to be able to get rid of Ole are we, our fan base is sentimental & deluded

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
He's perfect for Woodward.

1. United legend - fans will be patient
2. Delighted to just have the job - won't demand more funds
3. Ever the optimist - won't kick off if (when) we do feck all in this window

Only downside for Woody is that it means United fans will bypass Ole and directly blame him, but he'll soon get a puppet DoF in to take those bullets.

clarkydaz

Imagine if Zidane had only signed one player from the second devision renewed all the crap players contracts and sold his 3 best players as part of Reals rebuild.. Madrilenos would riot.
And people questioned why we didnt go for zidane. Like he would come anywhere near this board

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Imagine if Zidane had only signed one player from the second devision renewed all the crap players contracts and sold his 3 best players as part of Reals rebuild.. Madrilenos would riot.
Zidane would resign before the season starts. He only came back because he was guaranteed they'd spend big. Ole cannot do such a thing

red4ever 79

He's perfect for Woodward.

1. United legend - fans will be patient
2. Delighted to just have the job - won't demand more funds
3. Ever the optimist - won't kick off if (when) we do feck all in this window

Only downside for Woody is that it means United fans will bypass Ole and directly blame him, but he'll soon get a puppet DoF in to take those bullets.
Agree with this. He's a yes man. Just happy to be there by the looks. Where is this 'we will have all players in place before pre season starts' and this ' there are some players that wont be hear next season'

As it stands
Out
Valencia
Herrera

In
James

Status
Not open for further replies.