g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel-the-devil

God, I hope this goes well! I am so nervous after all the other failures.

Last edited by a moderator:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not surprised that he got the job, but I am surprised that they did it now. I thought for sure they would wait until the season ended to make it permanent

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not surprised that he got the job, but I am surprised that they did it now. I thought for sure they would wait until the season ended to make it permanent
Molde's season starts this weekend. They had to appoint a full time manager so obviously a decision needed making about Ole.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I think someone posted that it was leaving Molde in the lurch somewhat by not letting them know in time;they need to have a new coach in place.

Plus, if a new strategy is to take place, plans need to be undertaken now rather than the end of the season. We've seen already that Barca have tied up one great talent and most likely another, BM have got Hernandez. Clubs will have identified transfer targets and negotiations begun, we can't leave it until summer

billybee99

3 years is a good amount of time. My expectations are:

Year 1: Comfortable top 4 and a slight title challenge. Win a domestic cup and reach the CL QF (assuming we get top 4 this season).
Year 2: Very strong title challenge. Challenge on all fronts and reach the CL QF.
Year 3: Very strong title challenge. Win a big trophy and reach CL SF.

Obviously the CL expectations depend on who we get drawn against but towards the end of the 3 years I want us becoming one of the favourites to win it. With how strong the competition is in the PL I'm not sure about winning the title, but I want us to be in the mix. It's been too long.

We absolutely HAVE to nail it in the upcoming transfer windows. We can't afford another dud window of signing flops and deadwood.
Congratulations - you are now an Arsenal supporter.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I absolutely guarantee that the three year contract Ole got will have cost the club less than one year under Pochettino. That's the cynic in me talking but I'm delighted we've finally confirmed this, there were no other candidates for me.
The thing is, I’m with the club on that. If - and it’s a big if - Ole can continue to produce results somewhere close to what we’ve seen so far then it’s a shrewd move because even if we did appoint Poch, what more could he do? Whether he wins games or Ole does, it doesn’t matter as long as we win. But the board are businessmen, and if they can achieve the exact same result whilst spending 3 times less then why not do it?

Raw

No, I'd be an "Arsenal supporter" if I was okay with us fighting for top 4 every season without any progress towards truly getting back on top. I'm just being realistic as to what I expect from Ole.

Le Red

This notion that we have no chance to compete with Liverpool and Manchester City, or any team in the world, is absurd. Indeed such a Gunner mindset!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Maybe an end of season boost for the players? Probably looks better to any agents of players we want to sign and are already in touch with too, knowing it's settled now.

Drifter

American
Would you be happy if we decided not to give him a contract and brought back Moyes? Honest question.
TBH You really have a thing about Moyes. I said at the time that he should have got more time ,and i stand by that. If he was never given a contract i would thank him for what he did and move on. Now he's the manager ,i will get behind him as i do for any United Manager and hope he does well.But i have my doubts.

Raw

This notion that we have no chance to compete with Liverpool and Manchester City, or any team in the world, is absurd. Indeed such a Gunner mindset!
Where did I say that we'd have no chance competing with Liverpool and City? All I'm saying is next season I don't expect us to be challenging them for the title, which isn't exactly ludicrous. If we're still not properly challenging them after that then I'd be concerned.

Giggs' right foot

Happy! Now the club can plan for the upcoming season.

We still need a DoF and I hope EW and OGS knows this.

Looking so freaking much forward to Saturdays game. WHAT a reception he’ll get!

Beanz

It might work, it might not but just like any other manager why not?? But boy do I hope it works

Canagel

Just seen the news now. Very happy and well deserved. Ole is the chosen one and I can't wait to see what the future holds.

RedDevil@84

Where did I say that we'd have no chance competing with Liverpool and City? All I'm saying is next season I don't expect us to be challenging them for the title, which isn't exactly ludicrous. If we're still not properly challenging them after that then I'd be concerned.
People on caf love to have unrealistic targets and then moan about it when it is not achieved.

ZupZup

I hope Virgil Van Dijk has got the removals van at the ready now that landlord Ole is coming home.

littlepeasoup

Yes we haven't, they talk about us being attacking but we're not we just wait for oppositions mistake like under mourinho we have not really played the kind of football that will fill me with confidence since the cardiff game but like I said we're winning so let's keep watching.
What would fill you with confidence?

RedDevil@84

Was just checking the MUTV "paid" app and it seems they have not been informed that Ole has been appointed the manager. No interviews, no videos, no mention of any PR stuff of this.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Was just checking the MUTV "paid" app and it seems they have not been informed that Ole has been appointed the manager. No interviews, no videos, no mention of any PR stuff of this.
When you look at the TV schedule it is showing two programmes at four, I was wanting to record it but because of that it wouldn't acknowledge my request to record.

SAFMUTD

I know most will be hyped since we signed Ole, but a 4 year deal shows how dumb we are when it comes to appointing managers.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Ole was the obvious choice but giving him a 4 year deal makes no sense. For as good as he has been, he is not even close of being settled manager and things can go wrong in a heartbeat.

We had all the power in this negotiation, sure Ole had the good results to back him but if we would had offer him a 1 year plus another year option he would have taken it without a doubt.

Let’s not forget he is an inexperienced manager and we haven’t seen him perform on a batch patch, so we don’t know how good he truly is.

This nonsense of appointing every manager to long contrats has prove over and over to be a mistake. We had to pay off Moyes, LVG and Mourinho before their contracts expired.

Again, I’m happy we give him the job but we suck negotiating contracts, with the players and with the managers.

Raw

I know most will be hyped since we signed Ole, but a 4 year deal shows how dumb when it comes to appointing managers.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Ole was the obvious choice but giving him a 4 year deal makes no sense. For as good as he has been, he is not even close of being settled manager and things can go wrong in a heartbeat.

We had all the power in this negotiation, sure Ole had the good results to back him but if we would had offer him a 1 year plus another year option he would have taken it without a doubt.

Let’s not forget he is an inexperienced manager and we haven’t seen him perform on a batch patch, so we don’t know how good he truly is.

This nonsense of appointing every manager to long contrats has prove over and over to be a mistake. We had to pay off Moyes, LVG and Mourinho before their contracts expired.

Again, I’m happy we give him the job but we suck negotiating contracts, with the players and with the managers.
Isn't it 3 years? Or is it 3+1?

I do agree to an extent, but at least the payoff wouldn't be as great! I doubt Ole's on the wages that Mourinho had.

RedDevil@84

That's what I wanted too, but that will be a tad unfair to Ole. How many managers would agree to a 1+1 deal.
Maybe he would have agreed to a 2+1 instead of solid 3, but his wages will not be astronomical as some high profile managers. So don't think it is a big issue.

SAFMUTD

Isn't it 3 years? Or is it 3+1?

I do agree to an extent, but at least the payoff wouldn't be as great! I doubt Ole's on the wages that Mourinho had.
From what I have read it expires in the summer of 2022. Not sure about the 3+1 year option though.

I don’t think he will earn even half of Mourinho’s wages, but I stand by my point I don’t see how that contract length is beneficial to us, it highly improbable that a club would want to steal him from us or that he would accept another job if that meant to leave Man Utd.

Reddy Rederson

The first step in the plan to make it 'Sir' Ole.

Its funny, I never saw him as one to move into management when he was a player. Then after the Cardiff fiasco I didnt see him coming back to the "big time" at all. Thought Molde would be his level. Hes sure showed me, Hes done great so far and very happy hes the new manager on a full time basis. Looking forward to seeing where we can go and to finally be able to see a path out of this nightmare forest we have been stuck in for 6 years.

The Purley King

That's what I wanted too, but that will be a tad unfair to Ole. How many managers would agree to a 1+1 deal.
Maybe he would have agreed to a 2+1 instead of solid 3, but his wages will not be astronomical as some high profile managers. So don't think it is a big issue.
The length of the contract doesn't really matter, its what is negotiated in terms of how much he gets if he is sacked. That will obviously never be made public until he actually gets sacked (if he ever does), so we won't know how good a job we've done there and we may never know.

SAFMUTD

I think Ole would have accept it no matter the length. He is a relatively rookie manager and to be fair he doesn’t have plenty of chances to manage top teams besides Man Utd.

I think it would have been totally fair to offer him a 1+1 year option, like I said before all can go south real fast. We are not certain about how good is Ole, he has done great until now but he has no backup to assure us that this good run will continue.

My main issue is we seem to negotiate real bad, either overpaying for players, not being able to get rid of the deadwood, overpaying wages, and giving long contracts to managers who may not be here in one or two years.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think Ole would have accept it no matter the length. He is a relatively rookie manager and to be fair he doesn’t have plenty of chances to manage top teams besides Man Utd.

I think it would have been totally fair to offer him a 1+1 year option, like I said before all can go south real fast. We are not certain about how good is Ole, he has done great until now but he has no backup to assure us that this good run will continue.

My main issue is we seem to negotiate real bad, either overpaying for players, not being able to get rid of the deadwood, overpaying wages, and giving long contracts to managers who may not be here in one or two years.
The reason no manager likes being on a one year deal is because it makes them a lame duck in the dressing room. That's why most contracts get extended a year before they expire.

Status
Not open for further replies.