Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergiesarmy1

Woodward is among the worst DOF's in the history of football but unfortunately the only people who can fire him don't give a sh*t and he won't let go of his power unless he just gets very bored.
Don’t think you can call him a DOF, he’s a CEO for a start which means he controls anything he wants. He is a former banker that knows less than most of us about football albeit negotiations which he isn’t very good at apparently.

Until this guy goes you could a Pep, Klopp, Fergie combo in charge and it’s all fecked.

Untd55

People talk about how Klopp was given time, but that is a whole different scenario to Solskjaer. Klopp had reached a Champions League final and won the Bundesliga; he also had an established style of play. Everyone knew what he was trying to do and there was evidence that he could succeed from Dortmund, which is why giving him time made sense.

That does not apply to Solskjaer. In Solskjaer, we have effectively appointed a league two/one manager. He has done nothing in the past to show that he is capable of building a team at this level and compete at the top. There is no evidence to rely on that he could succeed, which is a huge problem with having him as manager.

People mention Guardiola at Barcelona also, but again that is a completely different scenario. Barcelona were not in a difficult position when he took over, which did allow him to implement his style more effectively. It helped having players like Messi, Eto'o, Xavi and Iniesta etc. to start off with, but Manutd do not have that.

In our position, we need a manager who has built a team that can compete at the top level. He does not need to have won a lot, but there needs to be something to show what he is trying to do and whether he can get far in competitions. For me, Pochettino is one of these managers: He has performed well in the Champion's League a lot of seasons, got to the final last season, consistently kept Tottenham in the top four with less resources than their competitors.

I am not saying it has to be Pochettino, but the manager should be someone with at least that kind of past career.

Kweku Amonoo

Sack him now. Was never good enough really. We need a manager who'd actually train the players on the basics. Bielsa would be good. Ideally, we should mover for Nagelsmann.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Ole is trying to create the class of 2020 without the talent. The majority of those playing today aren't good enough for United or their wage packet.

He got the job talking about building a team of hungry youngsters and that appealed to the money men. The PL has moved on and there are very few also-rans to practice and experiment against.

Un4givableB

The issue I have is that Ole is somehow to blame for the board not signing players? :houllier: Like everyone makes a million excuses for the Glazers and Woodward yet it’s Ole’s fault we didn’t sign a Lukaku replacement even though he demanded one. Apparently Ole keeps the books too. What isn’t Ole to blame for at the club?
If the broad make your job impossible to do you walk away. Spin all you like OGS is not a top tier manager.

dev1l

Everybody is losing points and season just started. We are still in the run for top4. But we must react now. It is clear as a day that this is not working and we don't have nothing to show that things will be better. We must sack him now. We waited with Jose too long and because of that we lost top 4. Lets face it, with this style we will lose or draw at best in most of away games. And it is not good enough.
Ole needs to go soon as possible
After 9 months?
That is the thing. We haven't even played anybody yet.
Just listening to 5live. The only thing worse than United today is the arch idiot Robbie Savage saying that Ole is the right man for Man utd.
As soon as I heard him say that I switched off immediately.
Sky has Jose Mourinho and Roy Keane and the BBC has that half wit.
So what?

You should ignore what any of these so called pundits say because most of the time they try to be controversial because shit sells.
Savage knows average fan is angry and simply said something to irritate them more.

Mourinho and Keane both have their personal agenda

Wolff

Crap hand doesn't help but its on the management when he chooses to start Mata and Matic and still doesn't change things at half time.
But when he did. Do you think Fred was an improvement on Matic? Or Gomes for Mata? Didn’t make much difference, did it?

red4ever 79

But when he did. Do you think Fred was an improvement on Matic? Or Gomes for Mata? Didn’t make much difference, did it?
Gomes had 10 mins. You think that is a fair asumption to make. How about Ole takes his tongue out of the arses of the senior players and tells them to feck off as they havent delivered anything in a long time. Should have started Fred today and Gomes should have been on at half time after that abomination of a performance in the first half

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
People talk about how Klopp was given time, but that is a whole different scenario to Solskjaer. Klopp had reached a Champions League final and won the Bundesliga; he also had an established style of play. Everyone knew what he was trying to do and there was evidence that he could succeed from Dortmund, which is why giving him time made sense.

That does not apply to Solskjaer. In Solskjaer, we have effectively appointed a league two/one manager. He has done nothing in the past to show that he is capable of building a team at this level and compete at the top. There is no evidence to rely on that he could succeed, which is a huge problem with having him as manager.

People mention Guardiola at Barcelona also, but again that is a completely different scenario. Barcelona were not in a difficult position when he took over, which did allow him to implement his style more effectively. It helped having players like Messi, Eto'o, Xavi and Iniesta etc. to start off with, but Manutd do not have that.

In our position, we need a manager who has built a team that can compete at the top level. He does not need to have won a lot, but there needs to be something to show what he is trying to do and whether he can get far in competitions. For me, Pochettino is one of these managers: He has performed well in the Champion's League a lot of seasons, got to the final last season, consistently kept Tottenham in the top four with less resources than their competitors.

I am not saying it has to be Pochettino, but the manager should be someone with at least that kind of past career.
Pep trained the youth team and therefore could also observe the senior squad from up close. He knew who he needed to get rid of and who to bring.
Not this " we have to assess the players" bullshit OGS came with at the start

Garebo

The issue I have is that Ole is somehow to blame for the board not signing players? :houllier: Like everyone makes a million excuses for the Glazers and Woodward yet it’s Ole’s fault we didn’t sign a Lukaku replacement even though he demanded one. Apparently Ole keeps the books too. What isn’t Ole to blame for at the club?
Exactly, like he could sign Sancho, Rice and Maddison and he didn't. He also gave Mata a new contract, not Woodward.

Seij

Don’t think you can call him a DOF, he’s a CEO for a start which means he controls anything he wants. He is a former banker that knows less than most of us about football albeit negotiations which he isn’t very good at apparently.

Until this guy goes you could a Pep, Klopp, Fergie combo in charge and it’s all fecked.
I'm calling him DOF because he essentially has that role as the CEO refusing to hire a DOF. What a disaster Woodward has been for the club.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
If (big if I think) we do end up sacking Ole at some point this season, then surely Ed's head has to be nearing the chopping block?

6 years, 4 managers, tens of millions wasted getting rid of them, hundreds of millions on transfers with only a threadbare squad to show for it.

Eric7C

Gomes had 10 mins. You think that is a fair asumption to make. How about Ole takes his tongue out of the arses of the senior players and tells them to feck off as they havent delivered anything in a long time. Should have started Fred today and Gomes should have been on at half time after that abomination of a performance in the first half
Yes. He has fallen into a pattern of making substitutions that resembles LvG's. No pro-activeness, no imagination.

Eric7C

If (big if I think) we do end up sacking Ole at some point this season, then surely Ed's head has to be nearing the chopping block?

6 years, 4 managers, tens of millions wasted getting rid of them, hundreds of millions on transfers with only a threadbare squad to show for it.
Yes, but playing performance has no bearing on the money that United create apparently. That's what the Glazers care about and Woodward is good at that.

fergiesarmy1

I'm calling him DOF because he essentially has that role as the CEO refusing to hire a DOF. What a disaster Woodward has been for the club.
Whatever anyone’s feelings on whether Ole should be the manager or not it matters not a jot until this clown is gone, it’s Groundhog Day.

el3mel

He talks a lot about giving youth chance but then he puts them for less than 10 minutes in league games. Weird.

Omahahaha

It's like LVG second season again. Almost everything is identical. Same crap thin squad, we are shite and so are the rivals on the 4th place. :lol:
Actually it is eerily similar. I have also started to fall asleep watching our games, which was a regular feature of LVGs tenure.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I’m actually not sure it’s a big if. You think Ole can get this shower to turn things round? We all saw what happened in the closing months of last season. The clever money would be on him being sacked long before the end of the season. I think he’ll be gone by Xmas.

And yeah, Woodward’s job should be even more at risk. But we just don’t know what sort of expectations the owners have for him. I reckon he could survive Ole’s sacking. Which is fecking depressing.

Eyepopper

Yes, but playing performance has no bearing on the money that United create apparently. That's what the Glazers care about and Woodward is good at that.
I wonder if there's any CL clauses in any of our sponsorship deals.

Eventually though, mediocrity on the field will have to start impacting revenues.

el3mel

Gomes played the match before today.

You can't just play youth players all season for 90 minutes.
"League games".

They should be getting more chances in league games. We're not going to wait for EL and EFL cup to play them. The senior players aren't that good either and since we're crap anyway, at least use the season to develop some youngsters in the league.

fergiesarmy1

Eventually though, mediocrity on the field will have to start impacting revenues.
Adidas have something which means reduced sponsorship for mediocrity, ticket prices rightly go down for europa football.

Eric7C

It absolutely will. Stupid business people don't understand how teams remain consistently near the top.

Eyepopper

I’m actually not sure it’s a big if. You think Ole can get this shower to turn things round? We all saw what happened in the closing months of last season. The clever money would be on him being sacked long before the end of the season.

And yeah, Woodward’s job should be even more at risk. But we just don’t know what sort of expectations the owners have for him. I reckon he could survive Ole’s sacking. Which is fecking depressing.
Look how toxic it had to get before Jose got the bullet.

I can't see that happening with Ole, and I dont think the owners particularly care where we finish. I suspect they've accepted its a long term rebuilding job, and that suits them just fine.

Its depressing!

Tony247

Don't want to get drawn into comparison but watch what lampard is doing at chelsea and compare to that Ole looks clueless. Chelsea playing style is clear, their switching sides, long passes, crosses has conviction. They have not clicked as a team yet but if they continue practicing and playing like this they will be formidable in 1-2 years. Ole on the other hand has not shown any of his tactical mark on the team. On top of that coaching is abysmal. Utter useless set pieces, not trying anythign different. Everyone plays short passes like no one has balls to send a pass through. I have not seen worse corner taking team than this in recent years. Less we speak about free kicks better.

Last edited:

Tony247

"League games".

They should be getting more chances in league games. We're not going to wait for EL and EFL cup to play them. The senior players aren't that good either and since we're crap anyway, at least use the season to develop some youngsters in the league.
Don't pin your hopes on academy players. None of them is ready for intense physical game under pressure. None of them is an mbappe or messi, so skilled that they can be fit in senior squad even when their physique is not fully developed.

el3mel

Don't pin your hopes on academy players. None of them is ready for intense physical game under pressure. None of them is an mbappe or messi, so skilled that they can be fit in senior squad even when their physique is not fully developed.
I agree that none of them are, but we need to use this season for anything at least. Currently we're playing crap football and not getting results, so at least if we can't provide both, we can provide some youth to follow or something.

Irwin99

I'm not in the 'Ole out' camp and i'm more angry at our transfer dealings for the past six years and the way the club is run but I refuse to believe that the club can think it's ok going into the season with just three young strikers, no right winger, and a few useless number tens and expect everything to turn out well. Our entire strategy for top 4 this season seems to be 'let's hope for the best and build from there'.

Obviously as a manager you have to be positive and transmit that confidence to your players but surely you also have to imagine a solution to the worst case scenario, e.g what happens when my very limited group of forwards pick up or injuries or lose form? I can't believe that he's happy with what he's got to work with no matter how much of a spin he puts on it. The whole idea for this season just seems like a ridiculously unrealistic gamble.

fergiesarmy1

I'm not in the 'Ole out' camp and i'm more angry at our transfer dealings for the past six years and the way the club is run but I refuse to believe that the club can think it's ok going into the season with just three young strikers, no right winger, and a few useless number tens and expect everything to turn out well. Our entire strategy for top 4 this season seems to be 'let's hope for the best and build from there'.

Obviously as a manager you have to be positive and transmit that confidence to your players but surely you also have to imagine a solution to the worst case scenario, e.g what happens when my very limited group of forwards pick up or injuries or lose form? I can't believe that he's happy with what he's got to work with no matter how much of a spin he puts on it. The whole idea for this season just seems like a ridiculously unrealistic gamble.
Exactly, anyone nut job that believes what was said in the press/twitter etc that Ole was happy to go into his biggest season probably ever with Rashford/Martial and Greenwood needs to get some fresh air.

Sweet Square

"League games".

Its only September though and because of EL its going to be a long season. The burn out would be massive if the youngster are always playing, plus game time doesn't mean developing. All this shows is how crap you've been during the Summer transfer window.

Still having said all of that, I'm taking too much from this game.

arthurka

Ole needs to start to get a bit more direct in these post match interviews, the boys tried bla bla bla bullshit is getting tiresome. These senior players do need a right rollicking. Mata, Matic and Young need to go far away, Ole isnt helping himself one bit with that interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.