Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sviken

This clip is hilarious but sad at the same time :lol:
Sad for United fans. If I was a Liverpool fan, I'd be laughing my ass off. You couldn't wish for a "better" manager for your rivals. "Proper" management to boot, too. Even Barca in its current state makes us look like a joke.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

MoskvaRed

That clip of Ole discussing “tactics” is like a football version of a populist blowhard downplaying the value of experts. Almost like he thinks “passion” and tactical sophistication are mutually exclusive concepts. As though players under Guardiola and Klopp don’t also work their arses off while playing within a coherent system.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
That clip of Ole discussing “tactics” is like a football version of a populist blowhard downplaying the value of experts. Almost like he thinks “passion” and tactical sophistication are mutually exclusive concepts. As though players under Guardiola and Klopp don’t also work their arses off while playing within a coherent system.
It's a disgrace and many posters on here were defending it fervently. Just embarassing really.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
To be fair, it is all clichés and whatnot, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a manager come out and explain his tactics publicly.

I really don’t think Ole tells his players to just go out there and play.

Either way whatever he is saying to them, is simply not working and I hope for his sake and for the teams sake, that we don’t just go out and play the same shite 4,2,3,1 / 4,2,4 bollocks we have been. What’s he got to lose now, the media and fans are already turning against him, just throw caution to the wind and try something completely different.

Needs to be a 3 5 2

Maguire
Varane
Lindeloff

Shaw
VDB
Bruno
McT (sitting deeper)
Sancho

Greenwood
Ronaldo

passtheball

He gets paid to write this?
Feck me.
It United put half as much effort in getting the football side of things right (you know, employing a half-decent manager) as they do in making "journalists" do PR, then maybe we'll challenge for trophies again.

Until then, we'll continue to be the laughing stock of the football world.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Lie. Just pure lie. Please behave.
Don't tell me to fecking behave. It's not a lie.

"As a Norwegian (not a supporter of Molde), I follow the Norwegian Eliteserien quite a lot.

Ole had a big standing in Molde, but the supporters there often wanted to see him sacked a few times over the years due to underperforming. Molde has maybe the biggest budget and over the years maybe the best overall squad in Norwegian football, but Ole never impressed as a manager there. The time at Molde was quite similar to his time at United actually: No one was impressed by his tactics and ability to make a team progress in terms of playstyle, but he won a decent amount of games due to a decent counterattack and individual performances from his star players.

This Norwegian article from 2019 says the following: "In Molde people have been wanting Ole to be sacked for three years, in Manchester they are so happy because he's their new head coach".

https://www.aftenposten.no/sport/fo...aar-om-at-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-maa-faa-sparke"

Yagami

Good post resistant
:lol:

I’d love to tag all those condescending arseholes from the ‘Caf meltdown’ safe space thread in the General in this post and make them watch this clip on a loop for an hour. Every time United won a game or Solskjaer lucked-out with a fluky win through individual brilliance over the last 6-12 months, they’d flock to their echo chamber and post ‘pAtTErNs oF pLaY’ or some other mocking shite in an attempt to belittle those of us in the football fora who had Solskjaer’s ineptitude marked years back.

The absolute cheek of them - I’ll never forget their arrogant jibes and my anger at our current situation is more directed at those who buried their heads in the sand with unwavering superiority than the man in the dugout actually responsible for our predicament. He is trying his very best but just woefully out of his depth. No shame in that.

His condescending, sycophantic cultists, on the other hand…
It's always been a horrid thread, that. Created solely to make out that fans were going over the top in a condescending fashion.

Thing is, since that thread was created, we've won nothing and played shit football, and they still act like the moaners go overboard. No, the "moaners" actually see shit for what it is.

As for that Ole clip, bloody 'ell. To think some on here were mocked people for expressing concerns over our coaching! Or lack of coaching, really.

hobbers

And if there was any doubt about who talks to Mitten from United, that article makes it clear. His main source at the club is one of the coaching staff, maybe even McKenna or Carrick.

"Long term points per game and CL form are improving".... missed this on the first read.

This season our PPG is 1.56. Hideous. Our form in the CL is equally hideous. Deservedly lost to YB. Deserved to lose by about 7 goals to Villarreal. Game of two halves vs Atalanta with half their team out injured.

Amir

To be fair, it is all clichés and whatnot, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a manager come out and explain his tactics publicly.

I really don’t think Ole tells his players to just go out there and play.
Maybe explain your tactics no, but discuss football tactics and options, yes.

Anyhow, I'm not overly interested in what someone says. I'm interested in what they do. Do we tell the players to go out and play? No. Do we work on things in practice? Of course. But there's over two years of evidence saying that what we do in training is not smart enough, modern enough or just plainly good enough.

FriedClams

Ole deserves so much more respect. This week must have been so tough for him and his family. I know how much the loss to Liverpool affected me, but as a legend of the club, a fan, and the man who takes almost all of the blame, I just cant condone the lengths some people have gone to to insult him.

It is entirely possible to show Ole respect, whilst simultaneously holding the view that our club needs to appoint someone else to take us the next step.

wrinklydong

Ole had exceeded expectation despite winning nothing. The board needs to do everyone a favor and sack Ole rather than prolonging his humiliation. There's no coming back from this.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Ole deserves so much more respect. This week must have been so tough for him and his family. I know how much the loss to Liverpool affected me, but as a legend of the club, a fan, and the man who takes almost all of the blame, I just cant condone the lengths some people have gone to to insult him.

It is entirely possible to show Ole respect, whilst simultaneously holding the view that our club needs to appoint someone else to take us the next step.
Well said.

UnofficialDevil

7m pounds a year should make him feel better. Each job comes with its responsibilities, 0-5 to Liverpool at home with Klopp feeling sorry for us and not scoring more.
Any other club he would have been sacked.

United Hobbit

This is why we are where we are

Dear goodness.... so as long as we play together as a team and show desire, we will be fine, those are his tactics it seems.... :rolleyes:

Trouble with his "tactics" we showed no desire, no playing together as a team, or wanting it more on Sunday.....

Please do us all a favour and relieve him of his duties. ASAP. The trouble with waiting is he will probably string together a couple of wins/ draws, as he has before, and the board will think he's turned it around and give him yet another period of grace... we are fast becoming a laughing stock, rival fans singing his flipping song as well. My Liverpool supporting bf is desperate for him to stay which says it all.

It is completely inexcusable we have less clean sheets than the likes of Leeds and Norwich.

When was this clip from? The only thing he's right about is getting winners, but that's because we've brought players who are serial winners!

FriedClams

7m pounds a year should make him feel better. Each job comes with its responsibilities, 0-5 to Liverpool at home with Klopp feeling sorry for us and not scoring more.
It's very dangerous to assume this IMO, We have absolutely no earthly way of knowing if someones mental state is improved because of the size of their bank account. We do know of many cases where all the money in the world didn't do the slightest thing for helping people through difficult times. He has done absolutely nothing to deserve the level of vitriol he has been exposed to.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
That warrants insults?

UnofficialDevil

It's very dangerous to assume this IMO, We have absolutely no earthly way of knowing if someones mental state is improved because of the size of their bank account. We do know of many cases where all the money in the world didn't do the slightest thing for helping people through difficult times. He has done absolutely nothing to deserve the level of vitriol he has been exposed to.
What level of vitriol is that? It isn't any more than what any other manager has been through before being sacked is it? Look at Koeman, he was virtually attacked by fans in his car.

Chairman Steve

Andy Mitten clearly wants to still keep his access to the club by sucking up to OGS and not going for the board.

Move along folks. He even mentioned the SAF 6 year thing which is asinine. I don’t recall Molde or Cardiff winning a European final to justify that level of patience and credit?

FriedClams

What level of vitriol is that? It isn't any more than what any other manager has been through before being sacked is it? Look at Koeman, he was virtually attacked by fans in his car.
He deserves to be more respected too. So much of it is wrong and it’s way too commonplace. There’s are human beings trying to do a job that do not want to fail.

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
This is why we are where we are

Oh man.... :lol::lol::lol:.

Trophies are just a ego thing for the club and manager.
Tactics are not needed to win football matches. All you need is passion and desire.

I remember many defending him for his "trophies are for ego" comment. How to defend his this now? With passion and desire?

Ole has zero tactical awareness. The team has no shape, no pattern of play and all he knows is to set up the team to counter attack. He was lucky during his honeymoon period because the players wanted to prove Jose wrong. And then individual brilliance, luck and penalties took him this far. Without Bruno, he would have long gone.

Day by day he is making this club a laughing stock.

b82REZ

He deserves to be more respected too. So much of it is wrong and it’s way too commonplace. There’s are human beings trying to do a job that do not want to fail.
So by your logic no-one can criticise anyone, ever because they're just human beings trying to do a job?

zenith

As sad as this is to see and as much as I wanted ole to succeed, it is time for things to move forward without him now.

But for the time that he is here, I hope he reverts to the style that worked for him. All the new attacking talent in the team means that ole seems to think he has an obligation to go out and attack, which really should not be the case.

He has a very good defence at his disposal too, so time to go back to basics. Get that clean sheet first and release the ball quickly once you get it. We have forwards who will inevitably create chances, as long as we just plug the holes in midfield.

Till we get a better coach and system, we need to go back to what works for us

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'd definitely describe the losses against Leicester and Villareal as blips. Not to mention the poor form that saw us drop out of the title race, reaching it's pinncale with that outrageous 1-2 defeat to Sheffield United at home.

James Peril

I'd definitely describe the losses against Leicester and Villareal as blips. Not to mention the poor form that saw us drop out of the title race, reaching it's pinncale with that outrageous 1-2 defeat to Sheffield United at home.
Title race? What title race? That’s like saying Arsenal and Aston Villa are in a title race before game 1 of the season. Ole has never been in a title race and never will be.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Title race? What title race? That’s like saying Arsenal and Aston Villa are in a title race before game 1 of the season. Ole has never been in a title race and never will be.
We were 3 points off in gameweek 22, we can try and pretend we weren't in a race to make ourselves feel better but we absolutely were and the title was there for the taking last season.

FriedClams

So by your logic no-one can criticise anyone, ever because they're just human beings trying to do a job?
There is a huge difference between criticism and disrespect. Of course, people can freely debate and discuss credentials for anyone in any job, but far too often have people crossed the line. If I were CEO of united I would bring Ole into my office, thank him for his hard work, remind him how highly regarded he is as a legend of the club and that it may be best for him to gain further managerial experience at a club that doesn't have as lofty targets as ours. Wish him and his family the best and then move on. He deserves to be treated with dignity (as does Ronald Koeman for that matter who had his car attacked) and instead we have a large percentage of our fanbase directing hatred his way and saying quite frankly awful things. He doesn't deserve to keep his job in my opinion, but he deserves to be treated with respect.

b82REZ

There is a huge difference between criticism and disrespect. Of course, people can freely debate and discuss credentials for anyone in any job, but far too often have people crossed the line. If I were CEO of united I would bring Ole into my office, thank him for his hard work, remind him how highly regarded he is as a legend of the club and that it may be best for him to gain further managerial experience at a club that doesn't have as lofty targets as ours. Wish him and his family the best and then move on. He deserves to be treated with dignity (as does Ronald Koeman for that matter who had his car attacked) and instead we have a large percentage of our fanbase directing hatred his way and saying quite frankly awful things. He doesn't deserve to keep his job in my opinion, but he deserves to be treated with respect.
Don't let a vocal minority skew your view. By and large people recognise his status as a player and club legend and if anything that's extended his tenure much longer than it should have.

People are rightly annoyed but this idea that each thread is full of hatred and vitriol is false.

Status
Not open for further replies.