Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Managerial Watch | Reports: Being considered for Canada job

SAFMUTD

Of course, he did. Three and half years and 350m spent for nothing, wasted time he set us back, no doubt about it. ETH had us playing proper football in 3 months.
Exactly people talk as if getting to the Europa league final (which we lost by the way) and a meaningless second place and a third one is not failure while we ended up with a squad full of deadwood again.

All the rebuild talk was just time wasted, besides Bruno all his other signings were awful and we were left again with a weak squad incapable of competing.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Yep that Vidic interview confirmed it.
Yeah I find this more believable as it was only a couple of years after Moyes left United as opposed to Rio taking 7 years to deny it. Rio was probably just being respectful. Plus at West Ham Moyes again showed at least one defender Jagielka videos. The defender told the story in a positive light / he learnt something from that video(s). However it seems Moyes was/is obsessed with Jagielka.

Even if the story is not true he did and said enough mid table small mentality stuff such as “we will make it difficult for Newcastle” or “even SAF wouldn’t do well if he was here” whereas the reality is that SAF easily won the league just a few months ago.

“Actual manager” Moyes in his 20 actual Premier League years has still not won a single league game away to a top 4 side.

Hell there was recently even a stat that in 70 attempts he hasn’t even won a single away game in the league against the big 6.

But somehow hiring Ole was worse because Moyes at least was an actual manager or something.

united_99

Did you expect Moyes to do that in 10 months? Not really comparable, is it?
Moyes had 10 months and spent 50m
Ole had 3 and half years and spent 350m
Moyes was never going to achieve anything but 7th place or lower, 10 months or 10 years.
Regarding the money spent, 50 or whatever million was a lot of money back then, especially for United. Mata was our club record signing.

RedRocket9908

Horseshit all.

One of the first bids we made was a double for Baines and Fellaini. When Baines wasn't happening then Moyes I shit you not wanted to wait to sign someone else first so Fellaini wouldn't be under pressure. But because the rest of his targets were unrealistic we ended up having to pay even more for Fellaini as his release clause expired. Woodward was a clown but Moyes being a bigger clown made his job all the harder.

Moyes had 11 months not 8 and in all honesty he had about 4 months too many he should have got the boot around Xmas.

He had Evra and Rafael.
Fellaini was a last minute signing, Moyes and Woodward had spent all summer chasing Cesc Fabregas and thought they had him but Cesc changed his mind at the last minute and stayed at Barcelona so they had to sign Fellaini instead.

Last edited:

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Fellaini was a last minute signing, Moyes and Woodward had spent all summer chasing Cesc Fabregas and thought they had him but Cesc changed his mind at the last minute and stayed at Barcelona so they had to sign Fellaini instead.
You forget you also chased Kroos and countless other midfielders and panicked when you couldn’t secure any of them.

gajender

You forget you also chased Kroos and countless other midfielders and panicked when you couldn’t secure any of them.
Kroos was for next season and despite all their faults Woodward and Moyes actually had him convinced to join even without the CL as confirmed by Kroos himself , but as our luck would have it Van Gal scuppered that one just like Moyes who went cold on Thiago who was more receptive to move to Chase Fabregas the whole summer .

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Regardless of what anyone thinks about Ole, and everybody's made that perfectly clear, it seems a little ridiculous to suggest that any manager who has a 2nd place PL finish with any club couldn't get another job in the PL. Its more likely that he simply hasn't wanted one.
He’s on record as saying that he’s since turned down PL opportunities

El Jefe

Why? Maybe not if the offer came now, but I would have been very surprised if he'd taken any in the remainder of last season after he left here.
What's the difference? You never know when your next PL job is so no one passes up jobs unless you're the calibre of manager than can do that which Ole isn't.

Overseas managers are leaving teams playing in Europe to join teams fighting for top half finishes. I absolutely don't buy it that he turned down jobs unless there's proof of the actual job he turned down, and I don't mean turning down an interview in a pool of candidates.

If you're an Ole level manager you don't turn down PL jobs.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
What's the difference? You never know when your next PL job is so no one passes up jobs unless you're the calibre of manager than can do that which Ole isn't.

Overseas managers are leaving teams playing in Europe to join teams fighting for top half finishes. I absolutely don't buy it that he turned down jobs unless there's proof of the actual job he turned down, and I don't mean turning down an interview in a pool of candidates.

If you're an Ole level manager you don't turn down PL jobs.
He literally just lost his dream job. It's unlikely he had any interest in rushing back into any job, especially one that was a significant drop from us (which every single job would have been). He was always going to take an absolute minimum of 6 months off, and honestly wouldn't surprise me if he took the entire of this season off too. It's not like he's desperate for money or anything.

red.knight

He got United to 2nd and 3rd in the league. Got to a few semifinals and a final which we lost on pens and broke the away record of the most games played without losing. He can manage a lot better than what more than half the managers in the premier league can. Where ever you go Ole true reds will always support you. Good luck mate

Last edited:

El Jefe

He literally just lost his dream job. It's unlikely he had any interest in rushing back into any job, especially one that was a significant drop from us (which every single job would have been). He was always going to take an absolute minimum of 6 months off, and honestly wouldn't surprise me if he took the entire of this season off too. It's not like he's desperate for money or anything.
I understand what you're saying but Ole cannot take such career risks and I'd expect him to be aware of that. 18 months later and he still doesn't have a PL job and he hasn't come close to one despite many sackings this season.

The PL is where every coach wants to test themselves (unless you're Zidane). Lopetegui and Emery joined clubs way below their actual standing. When you're a manager like Ole, you grab any job that you can get in the PL because you don't know when the next one will come.

Lampard took the Everton job even though everyone could see it being a mess. Your spell in the PL isn't guaranteed and the longer you leave it, the more likely it is that new and younger managers will be become more attractive.

united_99

I understand what you're saying but Ole cannot take such career risks and I'd expect him to be aware of that. 18 months later and he still doesn't have a PL job and he hasn't come close to one despite many sackings this season.

The PL is where every coach wants to test themselves (unless you're Zidane). Lopetegui and Emery joined clubs way below their actual standing. When you're a manager like Ole, you grab any job that you can get in the PL because you don't know when the next one will come.

Lampard took the Everton job even though everyone could see it being a mess. Your spell in the PL isn't guaranteed and the longer you leave it, the more likely it is that new and younger managers will be become more attractive.
I very much doubt Ole thinks like this at all.
He retired as player ages ago, then coached the strikers under SAF a bit when we had Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez. Then mostly he was fine at Molde where he was hardly earning big money.
So he was never desperate to earn money/get in public/media like Keane or Scholes need punditry as their source of income.

He then got his dream job at United and latest when he was made permanent manager he was definitely earning much more than before/at Molde. He most likely also got a pay off when he left United.

So without even planning or desperately trying he got a job as big as United plus at “his” club and earned money he could have only dreamed about when he was at Molde.
You seem to be obsessed that he should be taking the next possible job but from his point of view there is no need and he is most likely totally relaxed.
Now I could be wrong and his obsession may be to win the Premier League or something but that’s not the impression I got.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
He retired as player ages ago, then coached the strikers under SAF a bit when we had Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez. Then mostly he was fine at Molde where he was hardly earning big money.
So he was never desperate to earn money/get in public/media like Keane or Scholes need punditry as their source of income.

He then got his dream job at United and latest when he was made permanent manager he was definitely earning much more than before/at Molde. He most likely also got a pay off when he left United.

So without even planning or desperately trying he got a job as big as United plus at “his” club and earned money he could have only dreamed about when he was at Molde.
You seem to be obsessed that he should be taking the next possible job but from his point of view there is no need and he is most likely totally relaxed.
Now I could be wrong and his obsession may be to win the Premier League or something but that’s not the impression I got.
I genuinely don't think he cares for any other job other than United, not every manager is desperate for a pl job and just from his personality I feel he just isn't going to take absolutely anything. If you think that he couldn't get one if he tried then you are kidding yourself, it's obvious that he'd have been contacted for some jobs.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I genuinely don't think he cares for any other job other than United, not every manager is desperate for a pl job and just from his personality I feel he just isn't going to take absolutely anything. If you think that he couldn't get one if he tried then you are kidding yourself, it's obvious that he'd have been contacted for some jobs.
Which ones do you think?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Not sure he got offers at PL level, I was reading one or two clubs in the Championship showed some interest last season. Once you are out and your agents do not make any push, I am not sure he wants any job at all and nobody could really criticise him for that.

I was also reading that he bought his dream house at home a few months ago, which means he is just settled into his middle-age, semi-retired position. His best shot imho will be as a NT manager, even a U21 one if he still feels relevant to be involved.

El Jefe

I think that's a very positive spin on things. The reason he was at Molde is because he failed in the PL and Championship.

There's a competitive thirst that most managers get from competing at the highest level that makes them go back. From the picture you paint, Ole clearly lacks that and seems content with life after losing his dream job. You probably could be right which explains his mentality as a manager.

united_99

I think that's a very positive spin on things. The reason he was at Molde is because he failed in the PL and Championship.

There's a competitive thirst that most managers get from competing at the highest level that makes them go back. From the picture you paint, Ole clearly lacks that and seems content with life after losing his dream job. You probably could be right which explains his mentality as a manager.
Yeah I really don’t think he is very keen on it, even less after United. I mean do you see him doing better than 2nd/3rd place in the premier league and reaching a final and a few semis?
So why should he be so desperate for a new job when he doesn’t even need the money?
You can call it a lack of ambition but ambition alone doesn’t win you the premier league (and he already came 2nd, so to better it he would need to win it).
He has won the Norwegian League. He has competed with Molde (and United) in European competitions.
It’s genuinely possible that he thinks he can’t do better than that. Or he doesn’t want to try. So what? Why is this so hard to believe?
If he gets bored he may try something again. I don’t see an issue with this thinking. Not everyone can have the drive of SAF.

RedRocket9908

He was at Molde before he came to the Premier League with Cardiff and did a terrific job there winning the Norweigen title in each of his first 2 seasons despite inheriting a team that narrowly avoided relegation the season before under the management of City legend Uwe Rosler.

Andersonson

That's not really a response. Your evidence is that Norwegian media are claiming their Norwegian manager got offers. Great sources. We haven't heard a single name out of those imaginary clubs till, guess what, an actual offer came from Brugge.
Do you expect to sit in those news all the way from Egypt?

Norwegian newspapers have all sources clamining he has turned down several offers, including the Premier League. After United he simply would like a break.

el3mel

Do you expect to sit in those news all the way from Egypt?

Norwegian newspapers have all sources clamining he has turned down several offers, including the Premier League. After United he simply would like a break.
Did you actually read my post?

stevoc

Moyes is on record saying he wanted Fellaini from the start but he didn't want him to be his first signing. As he thought it would put too much pressure on him. Hence why we chased Fabregas for a month before bidding for Baines and Fellaini.

Moyes wanted 2 midfielders as we also tried to buy DeRossi, Herrera and Khedira after the Cesc deal fell through.

It wasn't an either or situation. He obviously wanted Fabregas and Fellaini.

stevoc

Yeah I find this more believable as it was only a couple of years after Moyes left United as opposed to Rio taking 7 years to deny it. Rio was probably just being respectful. Plus at West Ham Moyes again showed at least one defender Jagielka videos. The defender told the story in a positive light / he learnt something from that video(s). However it seems Moyes was/is obsessed with Jagielka.

Even if the story is not true he did and said enough mid table small mentality stuff such as “we will make it difficult for Newcastle” or “even SAF wouldn’t do well if he was here” whereas the reality is that SAF easily won the league just a few months ago.

“Actual manager” Moyes in his 20 actual Premier League years has still not won a single league game away to a top 4 side.

Hell there was recently even a stat that in 70 attempts he hasn’t even won a single away game in the league against the big 6.

But somehow hiring Ole was worse because Moyes at least was an actual manager or something.
Yep it definitely happened and Rio by that stage was on good terms with Moyes and as you say was being diplomatic.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Do people really believe that a manager who finished in top 4 in 2 full seasons + took the team to 4 SFs and a final in 2 seasons and managed Utd will be unwanted by every other team in the league?

I mean sure he didnt win a trophy, so you cant call him a success at Utd, but surely, one cant be so biased that they believe that a manager with that record will not get an offer from any other team.

Idxomer

Do people really believe that a manager who finished in top 4 in 2 full seasons + took the team to 4 SFs and a final in 2 seasons and managed Utd will be unwanted by every other team in the league?
Yes.

Idxomer

If Frank Lampard can get 3 PL jobs in a row then any professional manager with PL experience can get one.
Lampard is benefiting greatly from the mess at his old club for the 2nd time and has been in management for less than 5 years.

AneRu

I don't think he is hungry enough for a post United managerial career, it would feel like a purposeless journey to embark on outside his comfort zone at home without the possibility of ever proving himself good enough for that dream job he already had and lost painfully.

He has done enough to be more than good enough for the likes of Palace, Everton and even Leicester but like everyone that has been associated with the post Fergie United meltdown he has been memefied. Our failure has been so high profile that clubs would snub our former managers and players easily overlooking how useful a few of them could be for specific purposes at a small club avoiding relegation.

Looking at the utter clowns that have gotten jobs one would assume that if clubs were open minded, not caught up on the media hysteria that has condemned most of our former players and managers who featured in this era, he would get a chance at clubs like Leicester and possibly do a decent job of it.

stevoc

Lampard is benefiting greatly from the mess at his old club for the 2nd time and has been in management for less than 5 years.
Yeah but he's a terrible football manager. So if he's been offered two PL jobs after how shit he was at Chelsea first time round.

Then you can guarantee any manager with a few years PL experience will regularly be offered jobs.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
That's not really a response. Your evidence is that Norwegian media are claiming their Norwegian manager got offers. Great sources. We haven't heard a single name out of those imaginary clubs till, guess what, an actual offer came from Brugge.
https://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/i/7...NwK0AE22tr2eyZeSlWL86QBavQqMuE7mZyGOMO067JaSw

VGs sport journalists are a bit like the BBC journos are in Britain, they never report on hearsay or rumors, but reputable sources that can be cross verified.

As far as the source go, its very reliable.

POF

No (He was backed with more talent though) and still won less
Ole came in having to dump two overpaid flops in Lukaku and Sanchez, had Martial and Rashford as his main attackers (both fringe players under Jose) and regularly had to play Lingard and Andreas Pereira as key attackers in his starting line up.

Louis's attack when he joined was Van Persie, Rooney, Chicharito, Welbeck. He had Nani, Zaha and Valencia on the wings and brought in Di Maria and Falcao straight away. Yet he regularly produced some of the most tumescent football ever seen at Old Trafford.

There is no doubt that Ole was a better fit for United than he would be for other clubs but he did a better job at United than Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho who moved on to get some pretty impressive gigs afterwards.

So, it was a tough enviromnent and he did a very good job and he should be very proud of that.

He's no Guardiola but he's a legendary player and did a very good job as manager. A true club legend.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.

I mean sure he didnt win a trophy, so you cant call him a success at Utd, but surely, one cant be so biased that they believe that a manager with that record will not get an offer from any other team.
Yup. Ole was clearly a failure at United, but people are deluding themselves if they think that he hasn't gotten a single offer from any PL teams. He almost certainly has.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Lots of managers finishing aint so badly but yet everyone knew they're the joker. Avram grant, di Matteo, etc.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Yeah I really don’t think he is very keen on it, even less after United. I mean do you see him doing better than 2nd/3rd place in the premier league and reaching a final and a few semis?
So why should he be so desperate for a new job when he doesn’t even need the money?
You can call it a lack of ambition but ambition alone doesn’t win you the premier league (and he already came 2nd, so to better it he would need to win it).
He has won the Norwegian League. He has competed with Molde (and United) in European competitions.
It’s genuinely possible that he thinks he can’t do better than that. Or he doesn’t want to try. So what? Why is this so hard to believe?
If he gets bored he may try something again. I don’t see an issue with this thinking. Not everyone can have the drive of SAF.
Not his fault. I understand why maybe he dont bother to get another job at being a manager.

But let's not paint it as if he's got dozens of offers and being the hot pedigree everyone sought after.

He's finished as it is. Might get a championship job if he tried and wanted it hard enough but that probably about it

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Lots of managers finishing aint so badly but yet everyone knew they're the joker. Avram grant, di Matteo, etc.
And those guys got offers after their stints with Chelsea as well.

There are 2 arguments here - 1. whether Ole is a good manager or not, and on that, the forum will always have differing views, no matter what point the other guy brings forth.
2. Whether he will get another job offer, and I find it ridiculous that people feel he wont make shortlists of managerial openings, if he is open to managing again.