Ole Gunnar Solskjær needs more time and respect at Manchester United

Giggsyking

He needs to go, in fact he needs to do the honourable thing and step down. Not even 5 years will make of him a great manager.

Red00012

I’m not saying he’s Fergie or anything but a throwback on how bad we were when Fergie arrived.

'United belongs to those of us who go every bloody week and not to people with big bank balances'
https://the42.ie/4857373

dev1l

I’m not saying he’s Fergie or anything but a throwback on how bad we were when Fergie arrived.

'United belongs to those of us who go every bloody week and not to people with big bank balances'
I remember very well those years. Luckily for Fergie there were no fans posting on forums..

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Fergie was a great manager and deserved the time to rebuild United. Ole is shite and time is not going to make him a better manager.

dev1l

Luckily for Fergie the board also knew he was a good coach from previous achievements.
They had just given.him an extra 5m to spend over the previous season after convincing the board that spending 1.5 to 2 m per season is not enough.
He signed Pallister, Ince and Danny Wallace from Southampton with those 5m.
But the performances earlier in the season were horrible especially Pally in the Derby.

dev1l

Fergie was a great manager and deserved the time to rebuild United. Ole is shite and time is not going to make him a better manager.
If Fergie was sacked after 5 years "achieving nothing", I m not sure today people will be referring to him as a great manager, south of the border. He ll be on par with Dundee United s. Jim Mc Lean.

Mainoldo

They had just given.him an extra 5m to spend over the previous season after convincing the board that spending 1.5 to 2 m per season is not enough.
But the performances earlier in the season were horrible especially Pally in the Derby.
Stop comparing. It’s just not the same and lazy. We could have this argument for every manager that fails here. Where does it end.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Pally was really skinny when he joined wasn't he?

Cathy Ferguson

We also bought Lukaku and Sanchez who were both proven in the PL, and what happened to them?
Fair point.

The performances against Alkmaar, Rochdale, and Newcastle were some of the worst I have seen so it seems that we are going backwards. I think that Ole is safe for a couple of months but if we are placed 10th-15th after Christmas he will be under immense pressure.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Sacking Ole would be the worst thing we could possibly do..

Surely we ALL should realise this by now.

We have hired and fired great coaches - among the best there's ever been in Europe - and they couldn't get this right.

That's because it is impossible to run our football club, the way we want it run, whilst winning things straight away. IMPOSSIBLE!

Our fans need to calm t'feck down. Relax. Let one manager transition the squad and rebuild.

THERE IS NO QUICK FIX!

I swear there are people on here who have not considered how our last two managers did - even though they had won almost everything in the game before coming here - and I also swear there are people on here who don't realise how our only eras in our history (there are only two) that we dominated actually came to fruition. It took each manager 5-6 years to build this football club into a consistently winning club.

That's because our fans ask for too much.

We WANT attacking football.
We WANT quick football.
We WANT to achieve the above whilst also bleeding in youth.
We WANT our managers to have a youth team player in every match squad.
We WANT to have the best academy on the planet.
We WANT attack, attack, attack!

If you want all those things - which I do - then you have to have the patience to allow such a system to work; just like Sir Matt did, just like Sir Alex did. If we want to be this club - and not a Chelsea or a Real Madrid, for example (who chop and change managers every 2 seasons and who don't operate like we do as a club - and who don't bring through youth as part of their structure) - then you need to give a manager - whoever he is - the years it takes to run that kinda football club and make it work.

We all know this. Or we should given our recent and distant history.

If you want our club to win things how we win them, by using the list above, then you need to calm down and give Ole time and patience to get all of the cogs in the system YOU want to work (this is how we dominate as a club, not just win the odd title and cup here and there, like Chelsea).

But if you want our club run like Chelsea - where we hire and fire and buy and sell and win the odd thing and then finish 6th and then hire the next best manager out of Italy for no reason - fine.. go ahead and keep calling for managers to be sacked. But you'll only be doing it on Forums.. nobody at Old Trafford called for the head of any of our managers. Because they all know HOW they want our club to work.
Weren't you the guy though who was saying how Lingard's 98% of play without the ball makes him some kind of elite modern footballing phenomenon? Just bringing it up for context of your views.

Cathy Ferguson

Well anyone except Moyes, Mourinho and LvG - who between wasted £500 mill on crap
We recovered most of the money on Lukaku and will make a profit when Pogba probably leaves next summer. Zlatan was a success on a free, Sanchez was not.
Nevertheless, the three transfers this summer and Ole's first months in charge last winter are the positives for me, but we can't have a manager who avarages 1 point per game. That has to change when Pogba and Martial return or he will be gone.

Un4givableB

Weren't you the guy though who was saying how Lingard's 98% of play without the ball makes him some kind of elite modern footballing phenomenon? Just bringing it up for context of your views.
Thanks, saved me from reading that mess.

el3mel

Bringing Fergie in Ole's discussions to say he deserves more time is honestly ridiculous I don't even know how can some say it with straight face without laughing themselves on it.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Well anyone except Moyes, Mourinho and LvG - who between wasted £500 mill on crap
Yet two of them won trophies and had a couple of CL qualifications whereas Ole, the second coming of Fergie, and his incredible three signings have us sitting one point above the relegation zone.

Di Maria's angel

Bringing Fergie in Ole's discussions to say he deserves more time is honestly ridiculous I don't even know how can some say it with straight face without laughing themselves on it.
We should all apply for the managerial position cause if Fergie can do it... then we all can.

Cloud7

:lol:

dev1l

Fergie was given 5 years, Ole has not been in charge for 1 year. And no one is saying that he should be given 5 years either....

fergiesarmy1

Yet two of them won trophies and had a couple of CL qualifications whereas Ole, the second coming of Fergie, and his incredible three signings have us sitting one point above the relegation zone.
Neither of them came in half way through a season to take over a team in a mess of which he got us into a position to qualify for the champions league remarkably. Ole hasn’t had a full season to win a trophy yet also unless you expected him to win the champions league last season. 8 points between us and the top four, a few wins and things could look very different.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I think for those comparing giving time to Ole with giving time to Ferguson, my view is it was a different era. At an elite club these days to some extent you should be expected to hit the ground running like Lampard or Klopp. Klopp's results weren't great but he had a system with the wrong parts and got to a Europa league final.

There's an argument Ole deserved his chance after the run we went on when he arrived, but it was dumb to make the appointment before the end of the season.

However, if you factor in end of last season's form, some of the decisions made and now the form at the start of this season, alongside Ole's record at Cardiff, you would have to be the most optimistic of people to not be very worried. No more time for me, why bother dragging it out?

dev1l

I think for those comparing giving time to Ole with giving time to Ferguson, my view is it was a different era. At an elite club these days to some extent you should be expected to hit the ground running like Lampard or Klopp. Klopp's results weren't great but he had a system with the wrong parts and got to a Europa league final.

There's an argument Ole deserved his chance after the run we went on when he arrived, but it was dumb to make the appointment before the end of the season.

However, if you factor in end of last season's form, some of the decisions made and now the form at the start of this season, alongside Ole's record at Cardiff, you would have to be the most optimistic of people to not be very worried. No more time for me, why bother dragging it out?
Are you saying if you don't see instant results we should start sacking managers every 6 months?

Giggsyking

I remember very well those years. Luckily for Fergie there were no fans posting on forums..
There were more than that, there were protests and people shouting in the stadium. I was only a child of 9 years old, but I remember my father always liked him and never wanted him out. Today when I ask my father why he still had faith in fergie 1990 but not Ole now, he say that Fergie had already success in other clubs before united and had already been a European champion with a small club like Aberdeen, he was something special.

dev1l

There were more than that, there were protests and people shouting in the stadium. I was only a child of 9 years old, but I remember my father always liked him and never wanted him out. Today when I ask my father why he still had faith in fergie 1990 but not Ole now, he say that Fergie had already success in other clubs before united and had already been a European champion with a small club like Aberdeen, he was something special.
In the post 1999 period I remember a particular poster on MEN forum slagging Fergie saying he s done and calling him all sort of names. If I m not wrong her user was Mary - from Sale. Some of the posts were hilarious such as when someone asked her if Fergie ran over her cat :))

Di Maria's angel

Neither of them came in half way through a season to take over a team in a mess of which he got us into a position to qualify for the champions league remarkably. Ole hasn’t had a full season to win a trophy yet also unless you expected him to win the champions league last season. 8 points between us and the top four, a few wins and things could look very different.
van Gaal took over a squad that finished 7th - a huge shock to everyone involved with the club. He bought Blind, Herrera, Rojo and di Maria (+Falcao loan) and finished 4th - and had it not been for the garbage form ( 3 or 4 games) at the end of the season, we'd have finished 2nd. Ole just spent £150m after having inherited a squad that finished 2nd and made it to the FA cup final - got rid of some of the most important contributors over the last 6 years and now has us below the following:

Leicester
Palace
West Ham
Burnley
Bournemouth
Wolves
Everton
Villa

and = to Sheffield United and Brighton.

We are closer to the relegation zone than top 4.

Last year Jose was literally sabotaging the club and he was still able to get us to win games and score goals.

Gomes

Are you saying if you don't see instant results we should start sacking managers every 6 months?
Don't think I have seen one Ole supporter who can actually make coherent arguments or not sound stupid in every other post.
Not only do they set the bar lower every other game but they also constantly lie about other side's expectations.

edgecutter

Fair point.

The performances against Alkmaar, Rochdale, and Newcastle were some of the worst I have seen so it seems that we are going backwards. I think that Ole is safe for a couple of months but if we are placed 10th-15th after Christmas he will be under immense pressure.
This boggles my mind. How can we accept that we are in this position? If it was any other manager that didn't play for the club, we wouldn't be happy with how the team is performing.

Di Maria's angel

This boggles my mind. How can we accept that we are in this position? If it was any other manager that didn't play for the club, we wouldn't be happy with how the team is performing.
This time next season it'll be "as long as we make the play-offs, he should stay another year".

fergiesarmy1

van Gaal took over a squad that finished 7th - a huge shock to everyone involved with the club. He bought Blind, Herrera, Rojo and di Maria (+Falcao loan) and finished 4th - and had it not been for the garbage form ( 3 or 4 games) at the end of the season, we'd have finished 2nd. Ole just spent £150m after having inherited a squad that finished 2nd and made it to the FA cup final - got rid of some of the most important contributors over the last 6 years and now has us below the following:

Leicester
Palace
West Ham
Burnley
Bournemouth
Wolves
Everton
Villa

and = to Sheffield United and Brighton.

We are closer to the relegation zone than top 4.

Last year Jose was literally sabotaging the club and he was still able to get us to win games and score goals.
Ole just spent £150m? It nearly ended up a neutral spend if you include Fellaini leaving also.

dev1l

Don't think I have seen one Ole supporter who can actually make coherent arguments or not sound stupid in every other post.
Not only do they set the bar lower every other game but they also constantly lie about other side's expectations.
That s what's wrong. This is not being pro or against Ole.