Ole Gunnar Solskjær's Cardiff Press Conference | Updates from 9am

RedorDead21

Don't really want us to buy in Jan. I'd much rather assess everyone at the club for 6 months in a jose free zone. Get the right set up on the recruitment side in place and let them go to work with a budget that hasn't been halved before they have their first meeting. Lets just for once let the waters settle and then start to make decisions. Any kind of buy in jan will smell of throwing more shit against the wall and a directionless strategy.

Abizzz

I wasn't sure what to think of his appointment at the first moment, but feck me, is that different to what we've gotten used to these past few months.

Great feeling to start looking forward to games again.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
You realize that Pep only coached Barca’s B and zidane the same at Madrid?

Ole has coached united reserves, Molde, Cardiff and Molde again. He’s not inexperienced.

Knowing the club is one thing but he’s onboard because of his infectious personality, his love of attacking football and united traditions.

Let’s actually see him in the job before coming over all negative already!
This is exactly what people seem to be missing. He said it himself that he’s had near 400 games as a manager and had experience that he has learned from. He’s not Ryan Giggs when he took charge of us without a single game under his belt.

Steerpike

I somehow doubt we’ll make a signing unless a bargain comes up.

I can see Ole promoting a couple from the U23 and Youth
I agree with you on both counts, and I think restraint in the transfer market makes perfect sense at this point.

Mourinho was fired because he couldn't get the most from the squad we already have, so we need to see how it performs under new direction. The picture will be a lot clearer by the time we get to the summer window, and I'm sure there will be a lot of activity then.

There are some very good prospects coming up through the ranks, and it would be good to give them some first team action to see how they cope. Our perspective on what we need could change entirely if the likes of Greenwood, Barlow, Chong, Gomes and Williams prove their mettle.

Nick7

They'll all probably drop 20 points from now till the end.. avg point per game of 2 gets you to 76 points.. They'll probably finish somewhere in the 70s with 21 games to go..

The problem for us is that we are 11 behind. for us to get to 76 points, we'll need to get an average of 2.38 ppg, which over the course of a season is 90 points..
We basically have to go on a title winning run and hope at least 2 teams above us don't exceed expectations.. or even better, have a mini collapse.

It is highly highly unlikely..

We'd do well to finish with over 70 points not be 10 points behind the top 4.
Yeah I agree. I was pointing out that the logic that Chelsea and Spurs won't drop 11 points is madness.

gica_7

God, that was refreshing. Every time I watched Jose's press conferences, I wanted to punch myself out of misery. Watching Ole talk gives you confidence. Him being the assistant to Poch (hopefully) would be incredible.

I love Ole. Hope he makes the most out of his time here. Nothing can tarnish his legacy but I wouldn't want him to have bad results during six months. Hope players feel the same.

Mick321

So weird having a PC where the manager doesn't take snide digs at Ed or berate the kids, other players. Funny what becomes "normal" after a while. The training ground is probably a nice place to go again at last.

Really not liking this January transfer targets stuff though. Unless we know who our DOF is and are getting his advice I'd rather just leave it alone and let new people spend the money. Yes we need players but we don't need more of the wrong ones.

red thru&thru

So weird having a PC where the manager doesn't take snide digs at Ed or berate the kids, other players. Funny what becomes "normal" after a while. The training ground is probably a nice place to go again at last.

Really not liking this January transfer targets stuff though. Unless we know who our DOF is and are getting his advice I'd rather just leave it alone and let new people spend the money. Yes we need players but we don't need more of the wrong ones.
Whilst Jose was here, I didn't believe in getting any January targets. However, I truly believe we know who is going to be our DoF & manager and therefore we're signing any players we do. This summer shows that Ed's not prepared to spend money on any players that have no long term future at United.

Mick321

Whilst Jose was here, I didn't believe in getting any January targets. However, I truly believe we know who is going to be our DoF & manager and therefore we're signing any players we do. This summer shows that Ed's not prepared to spend money on any players that have no long term future at United.
Hopefully mate, definitely makes sense to get them in early if that's the case though Jan seems difficult at the best of times!

lex talionis

Still buzzing over the news. Before the sacking was announced I thought that when Jose would be sacked the interim job might go to Carrick and I would have been ok with that. But Ole’s appointment changes everything about the rest of the season for me.

If I’m allowed to dream for a moment what if we make a deep run in the CL and claw our way back to fourth place? Both are extremely unlikely but what if? If Ole does lift our performances and if we start beating top clubs I think we’d have to at least consider the possibility of keeping him on.

Irrational.

This quote has won me over:

I want the players to be the kids who love to play football.
:drool:

No more focussing on how to stop the opposition, no more "first we will not concede", no more bullshit rigid tactics with his favourites.

OGS is so damn likeable. Maybe the media will be nicer to us as well since he's a refreshing change from that miserable, pessimistic, dour-faced dinosaur.

the chameleon

First time since 2013 I'm actually excited and not moaning.

He truly gets the values of the club. Hopefully, he gets Pogba, Martial and Lukaku playing well. Allows Mata to finally play how he did at Chelsea. Gets Fred, Pereira and Herrera to also show what they are capable of. With Dalot and Shaw on the flanks. And De Gea as our final wall. Regardless of how many we let in, we're in for some exciting games with a lot of goals.

TheRedHearted

I don’t like how he kept sayin “Help out.” Seems like a lack of direction in a way. I would have loved for him to say- I want to do a, b, c.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'm actually looking forward to United playing this weekend. Rejoice!
This is the big thing for me, and I hope it's a comfortable win as well because the atmosphere is great at the moment.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
For the first time since SAF left I'm excited about United again. Ole saying he wants the players to express themselves and take chances sounds very promising.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Such optimism! Bizarre. Almost as if Jose has done a full dementor act on you. Ole has managed a bunch before - including our reserves and first-team strikers too. He's no mug. And if you don't rate his exploits at Molde in the league, how about when he topped his Europa group with Molde? Or actually managed to beat Sevilla (eventual winners) in the EL in a game (lost over two legs of course) - something Jose couldn't do? Ole may not be the ideal choice for a long-term manager (Oh! How my inner-muppet yearns for him to prove me and everyone else wrong on this!) but he's quite certainly a great choice as interim manager. Just look at the uplift in mood already! And a lot of that uplift is coming on the basis of fans and the media etc. having no apprehensions about "What if this too is the wrong appointment?"
This.

simplyared

A likeable person. Feels like we've gone from one extreme to another. Hope he's got it in him to give the players, no matter who, a good fecking bollocking when necessary.

JohnnyKills

Sorry for the touch of negativity, but I'm a bit worried about how much he's talking about Fergie. He referred to him as the Gaffer yesterday. Feel like this could be a repeat of the Busby situation where the old manager's pulling the strings behind the scenes. Everything else looks great though.

SteveW

Loved that press conference.

He seems like exactly what we've been needing. I think the players will love working with him.

Can't wait to watch the rest of the season.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
TBF that was never going to happen.Thre guy lived in a hotel FFS

Not forgetting the talent Pep had at his disposal in a 2 horse race!

Pep would have been sacked at Cardiff too
:lol::lol:

Picturing Pep as manager of Cardiff is like a football's version of A Christmas Carol.

Kaos

I don’t like how he kept sayin “Help out.” Seems like a lack of direction in a way. I would have loved for him to say- I want to do a, b, c.
No shame in it.

We saw what happened when we let Moyes do it his way by binning the staff and hiring his own yes men and LVG zealously forcing his ‘philosophy’.

The fact he’s willing to surround himself with proven winners should be taken as a positive IMO. If anything its been the stubbornness of our previous 3 managers that’s played a large part in our decline.

Eriku

Not from Manchester so I'm just curious for those of you who are: I definitely hear the Scandinavian undertone sometimes but if you close your eyes I feel like I'm hearing a Manc speak the way he pronounces names etc.
Manchester definitely coloured his accent a lot. An early clip in the 96-97 review has him speaking Norwenglish with no hint of it.

Edit: actually he’s already picked up Manc sounds in that clip, but nowhere as much as present day Ole.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Sorry for the touch of negativity, but I'm a bit worried about how much he's talking about Fergie. He referred to him as the Gaffer yesterday. Feel like this could be a repeat of the Busby situation where the old manager's pulling the strings behind the scenes. Everything else looks great though.
If SAF was pulling the strings behind the scene then we wouldn't be in this fecking mess.

No, he's stayed away from involvement.He believes in you making your own decisions,rightly or wrongly

SteveW

The issue with Busby was that he had too much influence.

This different because the manager is actually seeking out advice. He's not being undermined. The more SAF has a say the better imo.

Inigo Montoya

The issue with Busby was that he had too much influence.

This different because the manager is actually seeking out advice. He's not being undermined. The more SAF has a say the better imo.
That worked out just fine with Moyes:lol:

Kaos

That worked out just fine with Moyes:lol:
Considering he swapped the winning coaching team for his own ragtag of clowns and then decided it would be a good idea to award Rooney a mega contract against SAF’s wishes then I wouldn’t say he listened all too well.

Inigo Montoya

Considering he swapped the winning coaching team for his own ragtag of clowns and then decided it would be a good idea to award Rooney a mega contract against SAF’s wishes then I wouldn’t say he listened all too well.
That's the ultimate vilification of the decision then.

Moyes was never the man for us and why the board heeded SAF's advice I'll never know

Canagel

"It's not about them, it's about us." "Express yourselves" " Take risks"
Thank you ole. Thank you

poleglass red

He made a very good point re players being on the bench by saying no-one knows more about being on the bench than himself. His personality is infectious, such a change from LVG and Jose who always seemed ready to engage in an argument. From what I have heard he will stand his ground if he needs to and if someone needs a dressing down he'll do it, but you could see players wanting to play for him. Hope it works out for him.

Inigo Montoya

Pretty sure SAF left Moyes do his own thing. He made a point of it.
True, he does and did. So why some supporters seem to think he should be having input into the team now is a bit baffling

SteveW

True, he does and did. So why some supporters seem to think he should be having input into the team now is a bit baffling
1. Because him not being involved hasn't exactly worked out for us

2. Because the current manager wants him to.

Pretty fecking simple

SteveW

"It's not about them, it's about us." "Express yourselves" " Take risks"
Thank you ole. Thank you
I love his choice of words. He's here to "help the players express themselves" as opposed to Jose's war games.

It's exactly what we need.

JohnnyKills

1. Because him not being involved hasn't exactly worked out for us

2. Because the current manager wants him to.

Pretty fecking simple
For me the issue would be that Fergie's been out of the game for a while now, and we need to move on as a club.

But OGS seems like a strong guy and Fergie knows the mess the club got into with Busby.

FireballXL5

I can't remember the last time I was actually looking forward to watching us play. Thanks Ole.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The toxicity level when the new manager arrives, is usually zero.
Usually, after 2 years, toxicity levels reach extreme levels.
This pattern has been repeated.

Personally, I want to see how Solkjaer does, in terms of results (and playing style, which is secondary), before I cast any positive/negative judgement.
Give him 5-10 games, to see if things change.
Yes. That is very fair.
We are where we are so let us be positive and hope that the only way is up.

My main hope is that the players get their heads down and give significantly more effort and far more important play as a team.