g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Brighton are decent and I thought it would be tough today. So it was. Was impressed with Ole’s composure to conceding and not panicking with subs.

Beat Burnley and he has the best ever start as a PL manager. Not bad for a man whose only achievement as a manager, let alone a man, was being an utter failure with Cardiff. /s

crossy1686

career ending
One area I think he really needs to improve is his reading of the game. I don't want to be a negative nancy, but when opposing teams switch things up and begin piling on the pressure, he should be looking to adapt. Needs to be more proactive in switching things up and making substitutions, if need be. Instead we seem to just sit back and invite the pressure. Spurs and today were good examples of where the game began to slip from under us and we took too long to make changes, or didn't make changes at all.

Regardless though, on another day game could have been done and dusted early, even with us not being at our best. Another win for him and surely his case for permanent appointment is getting stronger by the game. Long may it continue, doing a remarkable job.
Well, we really should have scored more, it was more complacency that almost cost us in the second half and we continued to push for that third goal. If we'd have changed our shape and dropped deeper we'd have definitely conceded that second goal. Not really much Solskjaer could do it that situation to be fair.

Judas

Open to offers
Brighton are decent and I thought it would be tough today. So it was. Was impressed with Ole’s composure to conceding and not panicking with subs.

Beat Burnley and he has the best ever start as a PL manager. Not bad for a man whose only achievement as a manager, let alone a man, was being an utter failure with Cardiff. /s
It wouldn’t have been panicking to make some subs though not in my view, it was kind of obvious it was needed.

Peter Brewer

Sensational.
However still the poll "Is Ole a good interim appointment" shows only 60% backing of Ole.
Time to reset the poll and ask again?

If Poch took over directly after Mourinho and achieved the results Ole have made, playing style and numbers, Poch would have been praised as a god and a statue build in front of Old Trafford already..

Peter Brewer

Ole is first and foremost United DNA, and Cardiff manager before him had a muscle style football which players had no required football intelligence.

MDFC Manager

If he can grab 3rd, that would be a legit decent achievement, unlike the 2nd of last season which Dourface is so proud of.

Bardis

Well, he did take Molde to its first two league titles (consecutively) in over 100 years... He also won his group in Europe League with Molde, knocking out Fenerbache, Ajax and Celtic with a far smaller budget then all those three clubs combined.

Last edited:

Red Stone

However still the poll "Is Ole a good interim appointment" shows only 60% backing of Ole.

If Poch took over directly after Mourinho and achieved the results Ole have made, playing style and numbers, Poch would have been praised as a god and a statue build in front of Old Trafford already..
79% really. The last option is definitely in support of Ole.

Eriku

Yeah, but remember that Brucey and the Guv could’ve done the same if they’d been handed the reigns, so don’t get too excited.

Devil81

What does he have to do to get the job now?

First six games won and he's dragged us back into a battle for the Champions league places.

Prodigy24

Who holds that record currently?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

First six games won and he's dragged us back into a battle for the Champions league places.
Get top 4. Do well in cup competitions and then there will be a descison to make.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

You don't make a long term decision based on 6 games.

Red For Ever

Yeah, but remember that Brucey and the Guv could’ve done the same if they’d been handed the reigns, so don’t get too excited.
I read that, if that is how he actually said it, then it was a stupid and pathetic thing to say, coming across a bit childish

It is possible it may have been more of an attack at Jose, saying he did so bad, any of us could have done better, or something like that, we know how the press can mislead.

I never forgave him for missing the open goal against West Ham in the last game of the season, joining Liverpool was bad enough, but his comments and behaviour did not
go down well with the OT faithful.

The Guvnor !!! right !!!!!

C'est Moi Cantona

I'm still in the Poch camp, but it's great that Ole has been given a proper chance at showing what he can do, and if he does actually get us fourth or even third, which is now looking very doable, shows he can handle injuries, and bounce back from a poor run of results, then I don't see how we can't give it to him, Poch could well still be there if he doesn't make it long term, so we aren't necessarily burning our bridges with him either.

If we were really been fair to him then we would buy him either a defender or right winger this window, as it's so glaringly obvious where we are lacking now the true ability of our players is been shown.

..This does come with the fairly large caveat that SAF isn't having too much influence in all this current 'throwback' United.

Last edited:

RedRotorhead

I'm still in the Poch camp, but it's great that Ole has been given a proper chance at showing what he can do, and if he does actually get us fourth or even third, which is now looking very doable, shows he can handle injuries, and bounce back from a poor run of results, then I don't see how we can't give it to him, Poch could well still be there if he doesn't make it long term, so we aren't necessarily burning our bridges with him either.

If we were really been fair to him then we would buy him either a defender or right winger this window, as it's so glaringly obvious where we are lacking now the true ability of our players is been shown.

..This does come with the fairly large caveat that SAF isn't having too much influence in all this current 'throwback' United.

If Ole finishes 3rd with Man Utd, Poch might actually realize that it's not such a good idea to try jumping after Wirkola.. (Norwegian idiom for "a hard act to follow")

dave1956

Just a open question to forum members which manager given the performances since August, with the defensive deficiencies we have in quality, together with the fact that regardless of the teams we have played would have A. won seven games on the bounce. ( The only manager in Utd's history to do this ) B Pulled back points so we could finish 3rd or 4th despite our former manager saying that was impossible with our present squad. C. Managing to turn a minus goal difference into a plus.

dave1956

Sorry hit the reply button by mistake. To continue : would have accomplished so much

DBT85

So United last won 7 league games in a row in 12/13 and 8 in 11/12. We're now at 6 and have Burnley, Leicester and Fulham next in the league. Need to beat Arsenal at the weekend first in the FA cup to keep things rolling too.

We then have to go back to 08/09 to see a streak like this appear again where we won 11 in the league. To do that this time we'd have to beat Liverpool. Not gonna happen (oh but wouldn't it be beautiful!)

We could legit welcome PSG with 11 straight wins, and play Liverpool in the league with 9 straight league wins.

But Ince could have done it.

#ItsOnlyCardiff

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
If Ole finishes 3rd with Man Utd, Poch might actually realize that it's not such a good idea to try jumping after Wirkola.. (Norwegian idiom for "a hard act to follow")
If Ole finishes third, he should be offered the job permentantly.

Mr Smith

You don't make a long term decision based on 6 games.
Exactly. By the end of March we'll have a substantial body of work to look at in the league and cup competitions, with a range of opposition faced. Personally, I want to see how Ole's team responds to a defeat. If we have a bad defeat and then bounce back and go on another winning run, I think you can put me firmly in the Ole camp.

CA_vampire

It is 80%, because you forgot the 18% who "love Ole more than they could love their own child". The 10% voting for "No" actually support a different team. The 11% voting for "Eboue" actually belong to a different galaxy. So it all makes sense!

Yes 1,230 vote(s) 60.9%
No 203 vote(s) 10.0%
Eboue 223 vote(s) 11.0%
I love Ole more than I could love my own child 365 vote(s) 18.1%

DBT85

Exactly. By the end of March we'll have a substantial body of work to look at in the league and cup competitions, with a range of opposition faced. Personally, I want to see how Ole's team responds to a defeat. If we have a bad defeat and then bounce back and go on another winning run, I think you can put me firmly in the Ole camp.
Can't bounce back if you only ever win!

OleOleOle

quackattack

Yeah, people say it's only Cardiff, and only Huddersfield and so on. Don't forget Spurs away. All games has to be played and it is Englands top division so I really don't think you get anything for free, but I don't disagree that most of the wins should be expected.

Don't forget, City lost to Palace and Leicester. Arsenal and Chelsea has had some issues, but are above United so no reason not to say they have been performing quite poorly as of late.

Sterling Archer

So United last won 7 league games in a row in 12/13 and 8 in 11/12. We're now at 6 and have Burnley, Leicester and Fulham next in the league. Need to beat Arsenal at the weekend first in the FA cup to keep things rolling too.

We then have to go back to 08/09 to see a streak like this appear again where we won 11 in the league. To do that this time we'd have to beat Liverpool. Not gonna happen (oh but wouldn't it be beautiful!)

We could legit welcome PSG with 11 straight wins, and play Liverpool in the league with 9 straight league wins.

But Ince could have done it.

#ItsOnlyCardiff
For some reason this made me think, "suck my p*ssy, Lampard!"

Don't mistake me, its a good feeling. Pumped up. Excited.

Sereques

I won't recommend making him a permanent manager in charge of everything. Ed should get a very good sporting director.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Imagine if we just keep going? We might just even end up in a title race very late?
Imagine Solskjaer being appointed by SAF then does the impossible, the unbelievable, he wins us the PL right in front of Liverpool.

We have to win all our games and Pool has to lose against us, Spurs, Chelsea and a couple of mid table teams. It wont happen

Tony247

Time to forfeit FA cup for top 4 finish. Rest key players against Arsenal.

Astonishing turn of fortune Ole brought to us. I had completely given up top 4 before and thought FA cup was only real possibility.

quackattack

Imagine if we just keep going? We might just even end up in a title race very late?
Imagine Solskjaer being appointed by SAF then does the impossible, the unbelievable, he wins us the PL right in front of Liverpool.

We have to win all our games and Pool has to lose against us, Spurs, Chelsea and a couple of mid table teams. It wont happen
Imagine Ole winning the treble. How insane wouldn't that be?

Mani

So far he had approached the game positively,players had responded well to his call,he knows the club in and out.His attacking play is brilliant.With the way it’s going we would finish either 3rd it 4th imo he should be given permanent role instead of looking for Poch who is unavailable plus his release clause which brings unnecessary pressure to the new manager right from the start to perform,look at Ole he didn’t had enough pressure he gelled in perfectly give him short contract and let’s move from there.

hocane

We're playing like a Ferguson team, and i'm down with that.

If i didn't know Ferguson had retired and watched these last 4 games i would think Ferguson was still our coach.

Josep Dowling

Time to forfeit FA cup for top 4 finish. Rest key players against Arsenal.

Astonishing turn of fortune Ole brought to us. I had completely given up top 4 before and thought FA cup was only real possibility.
I would expect both clubs to rest players but simply forfeiting the FA Cup is a stupid idea, we aren’t Liverpool.

rpg

I hope he does well in March. Team face PSG, Man C, Liverpool within 10 days.