g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Paul Ince:

Its amazing how fecking clueless some of these guys are.
On the debate after Jose got sacked, he actually had Mark Hughes as the front runner for the job.

hocane

Ole said that most likely there will be no transfers in this January window.

Does this mean Woodward is already set for Poch and is saving up money for him?

Bad, bad news for Ole if that's the case.

Last edited:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins

Would imagine the club are awaiting a director of football appointment before transferring anyone, Woodward has been involved with too many failed transfers to this point.

Red Devil Rising

Or properly analyzing how Ole does instead of throwing money at him to use after just 6 games in charge.

It's taking a sensible, long term view which is what this club has been lacking.

If we signed a defender for £60 million, and Ole has a stinker between now and the end of the season, what then? We've a new player on the book that the new manager probably does not want.

hocane

Or properly analyzing how Ole does instead of throwing money at him to use after just 6 games in charge.

It's taking a sensible, long term view which is what this club has been lacking.

If we signed a defender for £60 million, and Ole has a stinker between now and the end of the season, what then? We've a new player on the book that the new manager probably does not want.
I can see your point at the same time looking at how active Chelsea have been during the transfer window, us signing a cb could be the difference in us finishing top 4 or miss out.

Dve

I think what you are looking for, is a defender who ANY manager would want.

Rolaholic

Has there ever seen such a drastic contrast between a manager and their predecessor? Ole's the type of person who brightens the entire room when he walks in just with his aura and smile compared to the black hole of contempt and negativity at the club prior

032Devil

This is certainly good news. I thought initially when Ole joined that the likes of Pogba and Martial night not respect him enough to stay on even if he got top 4 and the permanent job. But it seems that he can command respect among players.

I suppose the environment helps -- while he is not a "global" legend like Zidane, he is still our club legend and everyone who joins us must have been schooled about him, and probably the club staff and board treat him with respect, which along with his man-management has rubbed off on the players.
You can take any United player: Pogba, De Gea, Martial, Sanchez or any other; no present Manchester United player has achieved as much as Ole has as a player. That alone earns and demands respect.

He might be a temp manager but a club like United don't make these kind of decisions lightly. Until the end of the season, the club is looking for stability and maybe some improvement in results. The manager the hierarchy have chosen, so far, has done that. Kudos to whoever came up with the idea for Solskjaer and Phelan.

Tony247

Would imagine the club are awaiting a director of football appointment before transferring anyone, Woodward has been involved with too many failed transfers to this point.
Resonable explanation. I agree.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Kudos to whoever came up with the idea for Solskjaer and Phelan.
I think Phelan was Solskjær's idea, atleast sounded like that in the interviews.
Think i remember him saying something like "When i was asked to do the job, i instantly called 'Mick', and asked if he wanted to join me" - something like that.

AgentSquirrel

I think Phelan was Solskjær's idea, atleast sounded like that in the interviews.
Think i remember him saying something like "When i was asked to do the job, i instantly called 'Mick', and asked if he wanted to join me" - something like that.
Yep, he said the first person he thought of to help was Mick and he didn't know that he was only down the road, doing a coaching session in Burnley.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
http://www.espn.co.uk/soccer/club/m...afford?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

This article is very close to the inner workings at Utd, at times it reads like it was written by Woodward himself.

„on the pitch performance comes first“
„website views have increased“
„social media this that“
„there will be a thorough search, no matter what Ole does“

So if you want to know the true managerial shortlist, I would take this article as the one the closest to the truth.

Poch, Allegri, Zidane and Southgate are mentioned as candidates.

Eric's Seagull

http://www.espn.co.uk/soccer/club/m...afford?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

This article is very close to the inner workings at Utd, at times it reads like it was written by Woodward himself.

„social media this that“

So if you want to know the true managerial shortlist, I would take this article as the one the closest to the truth.

Although this is not from a particularly good source I read this article which states Ole may soon be having formal interview earlier and hope that it is true. https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8221518/man-utd-solskjaer-interview/

lex talionis

Taken a few scalps in the CL? Are you seriously expecting Solskjaer to beat PSG? Did you forget the state we were in pre-Solskjaer?
The word "if" was key in that sentence. If Ole does all that, it would be pretty hard to argue against his appointment long term, wouldn't it?

But "if" we fall short of fourth place, go out badly to PSG and make a poor showing in the FA Cup, it would be difficult to argue for his long term appointment.

All we know so far is that Ole has dramatically improved our performances and run the table on results. But can he keep it going? We shall see. And depending on what we see a decision will be on whether to keep him or not.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Those outside of United are far too dismissive of Ole's chances of getting the job full-time. I keep hearing people reject the notion of it happening as it's too big a job. And while I agree that we take the best and most sensible decision without being clouded by emotion, if he does a great job in these 6 months, and looks like he's genuinely building something excellent, he becomes the permanant manager. Yes I still think regardless, we should explore all options and make the best long term decision but you never know whether that's someone from outside or Ole himself.

For me, I need to see the team we are headed towards becoming 3-4 months from now.

DBT85

Those outside of United are far too dismissive of Ole's chances of getting the job full-time. I keep hearing people reject the notion of it happening as it's too big a job. And while I agree that we take the best and most sensible decision without being clouded by emotion, if he does a great job in these 6 months, and looks like he's genuinely building something excellent, he becomes the permanant manager. Yes I still think regardless, we should explore all options and make the best long term decision but you never know whether that's someone from outside or Ole himself.

For me, I need to see the team we are headed towards becoming 3-4 months from now.
Didn't you hear? All he's done is made them smile. That won't win you big games. He needs to be tactical. Even Paul Ince could have done what Ole has done. #ItsOnly

As I said earlier. I wasn't too worried about the early games. Teams regularly get a bump when a manager comes in. These next 5 are the ones I'm interested in. They've settled in, are getting more time to train and out idea across, find the best 11 which Jose never managed.

If Ole gets to the end of the season in title winning form and with everything else he's doing right off the pitch (press conferences, staff not wanting to jump in the canal etc) I can't see a reason not to give it to him.

The PSG games could be crucial for him. Nobody is expecting us to go through but a good performance and not getting utterly rinsed could do him well.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Zidane is for me the worst choice for a manager for Man United.

He inherited what was essentially the best team on the planet in Real Madrid, and despite winning the CL a record breaking three times in a row, I feel this was more down to Real Madrid being an incredible team lead by a reasonably good player in Ronaldo, than Zidane being a master manager.

Plus United needs to be rebuilt in the mold of the club. Do we really want another manager that comes in and puts his own spin on the club again? We just fired 3 managers that tried that.

Shark

@NotShark
Zidane is for me the worst choice for a manager for Man United.

He inherited what was essentially the best team on the planet in Real Madrid, and despite winning the CL a record breaking three times in a row, I feel this was more down to Real Madrid being an incredible team lead by a reasonably good player in Ronaldo, than Zidane being a master manager.

Plus United needs to be rebuilt in the mold of the club. Do we really want another manager that comes in and puts his own spin on the club again? We just fired 3 managers that tried that.
Agreed, Zidane would be a disaster. I think the main problem with the past two managers is the philosophy they brought, neither tried to adapt to United's philosophy, which is never going to to work. Moyes was obviously just useless altogether. As much as I hate Klopp, he ''got'' the cnuts from the start, he embraced their history and traditions.

Not sure if Poch is the man either, mind you. If Ole keeps this train going, give him the job.

CG1010

find the best 11 which Jose never managed.
I think he already has. De Gea, Young, Lindelof, Smalling/Jones, Shaw, Herrera, Pogba, Matic, Lingard, Martial, Rashford. The only question would be if he wants to get Sanchez in, in place of one of the three.

If Ole gets to the end of the season in title winning form and with everything else he's doing right off the pitch (press conferences, staff not wanting to jump in the canal etc) I can't see a reason not to give it to him.
I agree with this, especially if we get a DoF who can sort out our transfers. We already have Phelan to give support on a tactical level. So no reason to not give Ole a full season to show what he could do.

Kapardin

„social media this that“

This:

It is not just on the pitch that United have enjoyed a Solskjaer bounce, either. He is not the biggest name the club could have chosen to steady the ship, but United have still experienced increased website visits, app downloads, MUTV viewers and social media engagements since he was appointed. United had 55.7 million interactions on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter from Dec. 18-31, more than any other sports team. "Clearly what happens on the pitch comes first at Manchester United and everyone at the club understands that," a source told ESPN FC. "Ole's arrival provided a massive surge of interest in the club's own media channels globally
This screams Woodward for sure. Who else would have an obsession over app downloads and social media engagements.:lol:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Has done in two weeks what Jose Mourinho failed in two and a half years.
Know his best team.

steakpie

Him playing Matic and Herrera at home to Brighton is a massive worry, far too defensive

Dve

I think he already has. De Gea, Young, Lindelof, Smalling/Jones, Shaw, Herrera, Pogba, Matic, Lingard, Martial, Rashford. The only question would be if he wants to get Sanchez in, in place of one of the three.

I agree with this, especially if we get a DoF who can sort out our transfers. We already have Phelan to give support on a tactical level. So no reason to not give Ole a full season to show what he could do.
Maybe Bailly next to Lindelof. He looked sharp the little he played under Solskjær.

Rolledo

Hate the feckin' prejudice when it comes to OGS. If a big name had come in, say MP, and done what he's done, he'd be a genius by now. While OGS still has done next to nothing and has everything to prove. For me this is the first weekend in six years we're overwhelming favourites. Missed that. Etc. Not saying he's earned it yet, but to quote Keegan, I'd love it, I'd absolutely love it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I love how happy they all look when we score. Always looks like there's a hint of "I can't believe this is going so well" :lol:

Womp

idiot
One area I think he really needs to improve is his reading of the game. I don't want to be a negative nancy, but when opposing teams switch things up and begin piling on the pressure, he should be looking to adapt. Needs to be more proactive in switching things up and making substitutions, if need be. Instead we seem to just sit back and invite the pressure. Spurs and today were good examples of where the game began to slip from under us and we took too long to make changes, or didn't make changes at all.

Regardless though, on another day game could have been done and dusted early, even with us not being at our best. Another win for him and surely his case for permanent appointment is getting stronger by the game. Long may it continue, doing a remarkable job.